9/26 Issue: Bird is the Word

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

9/26 Issue: Bird is the Word

Post by Slarti »

Timelined on Monday, April 3, 2023

Jamie: Jamie sucked his lower lip between his teeth while he looked over the tray in front of him. It was still missing something. Oh, right. But he had to play the waiting game for that one. He closed up the box of donuts and shoved the IHOP take-out boxes in the trash. He would try to make at least one of the kitchens a working kitchen next weekend. Maybe. If he had time. Salt, pepper, utensils. Check.

Jamie: He heard the sound of his car pulling up out front and went to meet the dupe at the door. Flowers! Check! Jamie Prime grinned at Jamie as he took the flowers, then absorbed him after giving a quick thanks. He grabbed some scissors from his desk and went back to the kitchen to measure them against the tray. It wasn't a full bouquet or anything fancy. Just a couple of lilies and a rose.

Jamie: Trimming done, he laid them across the top of the tray, poured some OJ, and headed up to his room with it. Jamie really hoped she was still asleep because otherwise the surprise would be ruined and he would be sad. He loved surprising her. He grinned and took the stairs one at a time today, not wanting to spill anything.

Jamie: Jamie nudged the door open with a slight wince at the noise it made, but a glance at the bed showed him she was still asleep. He set the tray on the nightstand and sat beside her on the bed, leaning over to kiss his sleeping beauty awake. Jeannie?

Jean: Jean felt the nudge of a mind in hers but at least she didn't think this one wasn't a semi-creepy old man. She mumbled, but wasn't sure it was aloud. Whatever happened yesterday had thrown her into a hellish fucking migraine and she'd been pretty much useless afterward. She remembered blinding pain, fire, and Jamie. In fact, she felt him now.

Jean: She stretched and reached beside her on the bed, but he wasn't there. Her hand slapped empty covers. Well where the hell was he then? They were at his place, not hers, since she was too incoherent to deal with her evil cat without setting him on fire. Jean cracked an eye. Aha. "I think my radar broke." Not really, but hey. She grinned up at Jamie, who was very, very close. "Heeeey..."

Jamie: Jamie matched her grin, "Heeeey..." He nudged her nose with his and gave her another kiss. "How are you feeling?"

Jean: "Better." She wound her arms around his neck now that she'd successfully located him again.

Jamie: "That's great," he slid his hands under her back and smiled down at her. "Feeling up to eating anything? I had a dupe run out for breakfast."

Jean: "Aww, you did?" Breakfast? "Wait, what time is it?" She was still groggy enough she wasn't sure if she cared, but it was probably important information.

Jamie: "Eight in the morning. So... early. But it's Monday, so it's a work day, ya know?" He gave her another quick peck and stood to retrieve the tray. "Ta da!"

Jean: "Oh shiiiiit." That kickstarted the fucks she gave. A little bit anyway. She struggled to free herself from the bedding and sit up. "Sorry I-" Tray. Jean blinked at it, then Jamie, then back to the tray. Awww! "Bacon! You know the way to a girl's heart."

Jamie: Bacon! Works every time. Jamie smirked, "Yeah I do." He set it across her lap and went around to crawl onto his side of the bed. "Yesterday seemed to take a lot out of you, so I figured you might want to put a lot back in. Eggs, donuts, bacon, sausage, pancake, and orange juice. Buuut I can totally get coffee or something if you want that instead."

Jean: "The pancake is smiling at me!" Jean gave it a bright grin for the chocolate chip smiley face, then turned it on her ex-ex. "Chocolate also works." She picked up a piece of bacon and offered it to him. "Thank you! But there's no way I can eat all of this."

Jamie: Jamie happily accepted the bacon and took a bite. Bacon! Works every time. Already said that. Don't care. Works every time. "Well, I can always help you eat it. But you need to eat what you can first because yesterday was weird." He poked at the utensils to nudge her towards eating.

Jean: "Yesterday sucked." She paused. "Okay no, yesterday was great until..." Fire! Right. Good way to lose your boyfriend. Again. "I'm sorry about the..." she gestured and wriggled her fingers. "Bird."

Jamie: Jamie laughed and shook his head. Bird. Yep. "It's okay, Jeannie. I'm okay. And even more important is that you're okay." Maybe? "You are okay, right?" He quickly checked what he could see with his eyes, resisting the urge to throw back the bedding and fully check things. "Nothing's permanently damaged? Nothing's burned?"

Jean: "It doesn't burn," she said automatically, relieved he really did seem okay with it. She remembered bits and pieces, and knew she was lucky he was there. Jean's eyes unfocused as she did a quick mental assessment. I'm still in your shields. Her eyes snapped to his and she smirked. You really did have a great teacher.

Jamie: Jamie's eyes went a little wide and he looked up with just his eyes, trying to see inside his head. Right. She was in his mind. So... Now what? He dropped his eyes back to hers. Does this mean you have to use my shields forever? Did yours melt yesterday?

Jean: Jean pressed her lips together as he tried to see into his own skull. Yep, her Jamie. The bird didn't melt them. The professor did.

Jamie: But, so they're really melt....ed...Professor? His brow furrowed and he snatched up a sausage to take a bite of as he watched her. Still not eating. Was IHOP that bad? Jamie picked up the rose and tickled her nose with it.

Jean: It was Xavier. Jean hadn't been entirely sure until she said it, but now she knew. She giggled at the rose and stole the rest of the sausage from him, popping it into her mouth.

Jean: They're not melted forever. My head just hurt too fucking bad to fix them. I can do it now. Later. She shrugged. After breakfast?

Jamie: Oh, I'm not complaining. I just wanted to make sure you would be okay. He smiled at her, glad she was eating more. Whenever you're ready to fix them is okay with me, Jean. Promise. Jamie snagged a single chocolate chip from the pancake's smile and popped it into his mouth. Wait... Xavier, Xavier? Xavier, Xavier? Like... From school? I thought he died or something. He blinked at her. Was she seeing ghosts now?!

Jean: He didn't die. He was, like, in a coma. Although she'd been in one of those too for a while. She woke up, he didn't. Maybe he was brain dead? But I have no idea how he's in my brain if he's brain dead. Jean picked a chip off too and ate it, leaving the pancake with a lopsided smirk.

Jamie: Ohhhh. Jamie smirked at the smirking pancake. So... He's not brain dead anymore? I mean, he wouldn't have been kept alive if he were brain dead, right? That's just mean. Not the point. What did he say to you? Why did he want to talk to you? What happened?

Jean: I dunno, lots of people get left on life support... remember the guy my cousin turned into a mashed potato? Jean's nose wrinkled and she picked up a donut hole and started to nibble. He didn't say anything. Her eyes slid to his. Bird.

Jamie: Ew... He got buried in the explosion... Right. Well, he's dead now. His eyes went goofily wide as he thought that at her. Donuts! Yay! Right. Bird. Bird say STFU and GTFO?

Jean: Jean giggled, trying not to choke on her donut. Bird totally did!

Jamie: That made Jamie snicker and he popped a donut hole into his mouth. Did Chucky get anything to you before the bird smited him? Or was he just...there? Which was weird to think about. But she was sometimes just there in his head.

Jean: He was just there... Jean chewed, thinking about this. They should probably call someone. Her nose twitched and she took a sip of juice. Why would he be in her head? Was he still pissed about her skipping class?

Jamie: Soo... Yeah, he really wasn't sure what to make of that. Old bald dude just there in his ex-ex's head. Causing the bird to melt stuff. Well, maybe we should find out if he woke up?

Jean: We probably should, she agreed, going for more bacon. Jean closed her eyes and shuffled around in her own head a little as she nibbled at it.

Jamie: Jamie watched her patiently, waiting to see if she discovered anything. Should I use my detectiving prowess or should we actually find someone who knows something? Like an old teacher, maybe?

Jean: She was chewing and sorting, rebuilding her shields and making sure there weren't any old man cooties left behind. The bird - the phoenix - was again asleep. Whew. Not that I don't think you could figure it out, but it might be faster if we just call somebody.

Jamie: I guess that's true. Do you have any teachers you kept in contact with? Or maybe anybody who does? Jamie put some whipped cream from the pancake's eye on his finger, booped her on the nose, then licked his finger clean.

Jean: Jean made a mental noise that clearly said she did not keep in touch with any teachers. She laughed and her eyes crossed in the attempt to see the tip of her nose. Thaaaaanks. I stayed in touch with a few other students. She grabbed his hand and used his finger to swipe the whipped cream from her nose, then sucked it into her mouth.

Jamie: Jamie made a strangled noise as his finger got pulled into her mouth and tried to keep his mental focus elsewhere. 'Kay... maybe they know then... Or know a teacher who would know. He closed his eyes to try and block out at least the image of her sucking on his finger, but it just made the feelings intensify, so he opened them again. But, first.... Do you need to open your shop today?

Jean: Maybe. She wasn't interested in calling anyone at the moment, however. Jean grinned around his finger and hollowed her cheeks as soon as he reopened his eyes. I think the real question is if you have anything you need to do today?

Jamie: Uh... Jamie couldn't focus on her question, eyes locked on her mouth. Focus! She asked a question! He snapped his eyes to hers, "What?"

Jean: Got him! Jean pulled her head back with an exaggerated pop and grinned. "I asked if you have anything you need to do today."

Jean: She waited a beat. Other than me.

Jamie: "Hhhh-h-have... um." He blinked to try and clear his mind a bit, and then she was back to muddying it again. "Not yet," he growled. Jamie shifted his eyes to the breakfast tray, then looked back at her, "Full? No more headache?" Please say yes and no.

Jean: "Oh, I could always be more full," she purred. She had the feeling he wasn't going to be able to carry on a telepathic conversation anymore. Score. Jean grinned and nuzzled his hand. "But my head's good now. Thank you for taking care of me."

Jamie: Jamie smiled softly at her, "You're welcome, Jeannie. I was glad I was with you to be able to do it." He crawled over her legs to get off the bed on her side, wiggling his legs a bit when he stood to readjust himself. Jamie picked up the tray and set it back on the night stand with a final swipe of some whipped cream, then smirked at her as he sucked it off his finger.

Jean: "Me too." Jean gave him a softer smile, watching him climb over her and sliding back down onto the pillow. If she'd been with someone who didn't know her, or one of her human friends, she'd have been fucked. Not in the fun way.

Jean: At best, she could have scared the shit out of everyone and then passed out. At worst... Rachel came to mind. Jean shivered.

Jamie: Jamie crawled back over her to his side of the bed and laid down, pulling her into his arms to hold her against him. "What are we gonna do about your bird? Does it like crackers?" Maybe they should sic Sylvester on it. Or evil Figaro!

Jean: She shrugged a shoulder and snuggled into him, tucking her head under his chin. "She's asleep again." Jean's hand went to the front of his shirt, playing with the material. "I never tried crackers," she said, amused.

Jamie: "It's a she? You can tell?" Jamie's face screwed up as he tried to think about that. Maybe he'd better not think about it. He brought a hand up to play with the ends of her hair and settled his head more comfortably on her pillow. "Crackers, bird seed, rice..."

Jean: "I'm a she. She's me. Sort of. Makes sense." Or maybe it didn't? Another shrug. Jean moved a little and brushed her nose over his throat, enjoying the rumble of his voice as he babbled. "I'm picturing the Road Runner now," she giggled.

Jamie: Jamie laughed at the mental image that put in his head. "I promise I won't get squished by any ACME inventions trying to expel your bird." He sucked his lower lip under and let it make the sucking sound as he let it back out. "Can you control it? I mean, what if you were alone when it happened? Like when you went into a coma... Or what if you were with somebody who thought you were trying to attack them? Jeannie, I don't want you hurt."

Jean: "Yeah, please don't," she laughed, then sighed. "I was lucky." Her voice was quiet now and she closed her eyes. She kind of hated to tell him this, but secrets were bad. Lesson fucking learned. Especially when you sometimes shared brains. "I can't always control it."

Jean: "You know what happens to a telepath with no shields?" Jean pushed herself up enough to see him.

Jamie: Jamie had already assumed as much since she couldn't make it go away last night. He brushed her hair from her face and gave her a soft look. "I would imagine something worse than the bird?"

Jean: "Yeah, things get in." She licked her lips. "If I can't shield out the thoughts and feelings of everyone around me? Overload. Mashed potatoes." Her face scrunched. "Well, I don't know. I might just pass out, or... the bird might... take over?" Jean knew Jamie knew as much as any of the other graduates of Xavier's about telepaths, and more, thanks to their years together. But, even with their link, knowing was different than knowing.

Jean: She knew how his powers worked, too, but they were still kind of brain breaking.

Jean: Jean pressed her lips together, hating to voice her fear. "I really really don't wanna do a Rachel," she whispered.

Jamie: Okay, yep, that would be way worse than the bird. "No mashed potato brain for you. Maybe even no eating of mashed potatoes, either. Too dangerous." He pulled her back down to hold again, squeezing her to him, "You are not Rachel. And beyond that fact, you don't have any reason to do a Rachel."

Jamie: Jamie maneuvered his head so he could see her but still be pressed close, "You are stronger than you know, Jean. Everything is going to be okay." He gave her a kiss, "You can use my shields for as long as you need to. We'll just have to be joined at the hip," he grinned, "which is also okay."

Jean: Jean closed her eyes and snuggled back into him, sending him a burst of affection, gratitude and love though their connection. She supposed she hadn't done a Rachel yet, so maybe he was right.

Jean: She raised her head again to meet his eyes. He was so different, but also not. "You were the strong one, yesterday." Her lips quirked before the kiss. "Mutual bodyguarding is working out better than expected."

Jean: "Joined at the hip, huh?" Jean went in for another kiss and lingered, tilting her head to brush their noses and lips together. "That's a new way to put it..."

Jamie: "I told you, Jeannie... I'm not afraid anymore. I've changed." Jamie nipped gently at her lower lip as it brushed over his. "Well, if you want to be joined that way, all you had to do was say so. I'm pretty easy when it comes to that."

Jean: "You've gotten way hotter for one," she agreed, grinning and responding to his nip with a lick. "But I remember you were always pretty easy when it came to that."

Jamie: Jamie grinned and chuckled. "You're not wrong there." He brushed her nose with his. "Are you gonna be alright? Do I need to do anything? Make a sacrifice to the bird?" He smirked, "Appease the fire so it doesn't consume you."

Jean: Jean pulled back a little. "That's a terrible idea."

Jamie: Jamie's eyebrows went up, "It is?"

Jean: "Don't... even joke about that," she said, reaching up to touch his face.

Jamie: "Noted." But why not? "Can I joke about feeding your fire, though?" Jamie gave her a saucy grin and snaked a hand down to pinch her ass.

Jean: "Yeah." She laughed and jumped at the pinch, relaxing into a giggle. "And you're definitely good at that."

Jamie: "Well at least I'm still allowed some of my humor," he grinned to show he was teasing. "I never want to do anything to scare you, Jean. I'm sorry."

Jean: "I'll permit it," she sniffed, sliding her leg over his. "You don't have anything to be sorry for, it just..." She shrugged. "I dunno... creeped me out."

Jamie: His hand slipped to catch her thigh behind her knee., pulling her further over him as he rolled onto his back. "Well, then I promise to not offer it crackers. Even if it tells me it wants them." Jamie stifled a snicker, "Sorry. Done now."

Jean: "She's gluten intolerant," she said with a decisive nod and settled on top of him, propping herself on her elbows on either side of his chest to smile at him.

Jamie: "But... If she's you and you're her... Then wouldn't that make it so she wouldn't be?" He rested his hands on her knees. "Because I'm also very good at denying things what they want." Jamie's eyes were lit with a playful lust as he looked her up and down, sliding his hands up her thighs.

Jean: Jean tried to wrap her head around that one and laughed. "Oh, are you sure about that? You gonna deny me?" She wriggled a little and made a show of flipping her hair over her shoulder.

Jamie: Jamie smirked, "I could if I wanted to. My willpower is how I've survived before, so it's pretty damn strong." He hooked his fingers into the waistband of her skirt to press her down against him, "You're just lucky that I don't want to."

Jean: Although he was right about his willpower in some things, she kind of wanted to call his bluff on this one. Jean narrowed her eyes at him in consideration and shifted her hips. "I think I have an idea what you do want."

Jamie: Jamie took a deep, steadying breath. "Think so?" He could totally do this, dream girl grinding him or no. "I know I have an idea of what you want."

Jean: "Do you?" Jean slowly sat up, trailing her hands over his chest.

Jamie: "I do," his mouth twitched. "You want to tease me into succumbing to your sexy, sexy ways."

Jean: She moved her hips in a tight circle and watched his face. "Are you sure?" she purred.

Jamie: Jamie swallowed hard, willing his hips to not move. "Preeetty sure." That was a little bit of a higher octave than he meant it to be, but it still worked.

Jean: "Well, if you're sure." Jean gave a gusty sigh and climbed off of him, bouncing onto the side of the bed and snagging another sausage from the tray.

Jamie: Gah! Why was he so headstrong sometimes? His head lolled to the side, watching her under his lashes as she put the sausage to her lips. Dammit all to hell, Madrox. Whhhyyyy? "So... Want to go on a stake out with me today?"

Jean: Jean had been planning to give him quite the show with that sausage, but now she paused with it halfway to her mouth? "A stake out?"

Jamie: "Yeah?" He frowned as the sausage dropped away, then looked up to meet her eyes. "I mean, you have to be close to me to use my shields, right? And I need to follow a dude. Getting paid a lot for it, so I should probably start sooner rather than later."

Jean: "I'm intrigued now." Jean looked down and considered the sausage. "Like... in the movies?" She'd started on her shields, but it would probably be easier to rebuild them if she were with him.

Jamie: "Um... Yeah? Except it's a lot more boring and we may not be near a bathroom for pee breaks." Eat it... C'moooon... "And it's loooong. Like, hours. Of nothing but watching from my car."

Jean: "Wow, less intrigued now." Jean couldn't help but notice his attention to the sausage and brought her other hand up, tracing the tip of the sausage with a fingertip. "Although... hours in your car? Alone?"

Jamie: Jamie sucked his lower lip in between his teeth until it made a noise which startled him enough to stop and meet her eyes again. "Um, yeah?" Is that the extent of our vocabulary right now? Um.. Yeah. Duh. Sausage. "Why?"

Jean: Jean grinned and licked her finger. "I'm in."

Jamie: Jamie was a bit baffled at her sudden change of heart. "Why?"

Jean: "I'd be with you." Jean set the sausage down and wiped her hand, turning back to lean down and kiss him. "Duh."

Jamie: "Well, yeah... That's the whole point, right? So you could stay close?"

Jean: She rolled her eyes and flopped down on her side beside him. "I don't have to be physically close to use your shields." She tapped his temple, then smoothed his hair back.

Jamie: "So then why would you want to come on a boring stake-out if you don't have to?" His eyes closed at her touch. Jeeaaan. "You could go to work. Or stay in bed. Or go shopping."

Jean: "Because." She decided to speak slowly for him, watching his face while she pet his hair. Wow she loved this idiot. "I'd be with you."

Jamie: Jamie opened one eye a crack, a grin tugging up one side of his mouth, "Jeannie... Does my car turn you on?" Plot point achieved! Level up!

Bobby: She smirked but kept playing with his hair, scratching her nails lightly on his scalp. "Uh, yeah. Have you seen your car?"

Jamie: "Yep. She turns me on, too. S'why I bought her." Oh, that felt nice. If he were a cat, he would be purring. His eye closed again and he smiled lazily. Is very nice.

Jean: "Should I be jealous?" Jean's eyebrow arched and she smiled at his expression.

Jamie: "Oh yeah," Jamie tried and failed to stifle a yawn. "Super jealous. Baby is a wet dream walking... Er, driving? Rolling? Riding?" Whatever.

Jean: "Baby?" She couldn't keep the amusement from her voice. "That's cute." Yawning? Was she boring him to death? Oh fuck me. Jean yawned too.

Jamie: Jamie tilted his head to move her nails around a bit more. "Thanks. She likes you, too, ya know."

Jean: "Good." Jean took the hint and started giving him a good scritching. "You have quite the relationship with that car."

Jamie: His nose twitched and he reached up to rub it then grabbed at her blindly, pulling her close, putting her head on his shoulder. "Mmhmm. She's a good girl."

Jean: She squeaked a little at the sudden move, but was content to get comfortable. Her hand slid to his neck and she brushed her thumb over the stubble on his cheek.

Jamie: Jamie opened an eye again to peek at her with a fond smile. "You may have slept for nearly a whole day, but I didn't sleep much at all." He rubbed his hand up and down her back. "I was worried about you."

Jean: "I'm okay. I promise." Jean turned her head to kiss his shoulder and then resettled herself against it. "Take a nap. I'll finish my shields while you sleep."

Jamie: "Finish? You've already started? Okey dokey then." He closed his eyes and blindly felt around on the bed until he found the corner of the blanket, tugging it over both of them. "Love you, Jeannie."

Jean: "Love you, too." She fussed with the blanket and gave him a soft kiss and a fond look before she laid back down, resting her forehead against his jaw.