Map of the New Building

It's a wide, wide world, so check in to see what's going on and maybe to create some of your own Scrawlerearth history.
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Map of the New Building

Post by Svartfreja » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:16 pm

First thing's first - One or two things that aren't on the map because I refuse to freehand drawing stuff....

Map and hospital are orientated north-south so when standing at the front of the Kirkbride building and facing the old medical building (soon to be apartments), you will be able to see Boston in the distance as it is only 18 miles from the location (about a half hour drive, yay!).

To the west of building J (coloured that colour on the original map I used and was too lazy to recolor black because omg pixels and my poor eyes) there is a reservoir that was concreted over in the 90s but SHIELD have kindly dug up again.

To the north of building J there is also a small cemetery for deceased patients. Rather than names, the graves are marked with numbers, some on square/round stone blocks in the ground, others on little stone posts.

--

Stuff! Everywhere!

I left some of the original labels on the map so that you can see what some of the things used to be but just for easier reference here is a list of what they used to be. More details will follow further down ¬.¬

So, from the top:

Kirkbride Building - Was and still is the main administration building.
Kitchen Block - Originally the kitchens, strangely enough! Also contained dining areas.
Gray Gables - Original trainee nurses building.
RC Chapel - Our Lady of the Hill Chapel
Anglican Chapel - St Luke's Chapel
Summer House (x2) - Male and Female Tubercular buildings. Places patients would go for therapeutic fresh air to aid their recovery from TB. Males to the West, Females to the East.
Apartments - Bonner Medical Building. A teaching hospital and where patients from the Asylum were treated for various things (TB being one of them, presumably).
Surgery Building - Attached to wing A, original patient treatment area and built as a surgery.
Gym Building - One of the later constructions, the building used to house the male nurses.
Garage - Formerly a garage and stable.
Pool (x2) - Former 'hydrotherapy' units.
Robotics Lab - Former repair shop for farm or hospital equipment.
Generator - Boiler house. This room contained a large steam generator to power the hospital and provide heat and hot water.
Tunnels - Below the basement level, these tunnels were designed to connect the entire complex in a network dubbed 'the wagon wheel' all connected to a central hub beneath the administration block.
Carparking &Hangar - Formerly the female nurses home.
Buildings A, B, C, D - Formerly the female wings of the hospital.
Buildings G, H, I, J - Formerly the male wings of the hospital.

---

Buildings currently available to students and a little bit about them:

Gray Gables: Built in 1898, was the second nurses home in the state. It contains 46 bedrooms, a simple parlour and a small classroom (the nurses would presumably have been eating in the hospital cafeteria).
Judging by the size of the building, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that these rooms are probably quite small and spread mainly over the top two floors and potentially some of the attic space. SHIELD have converted the parlour into a small recreation room with television and other noisy activities and have turned the classroom into a small library and quiet study area.
This is the building that the staff and students will find themselves living in, in the short term, when they first arrive on the grounds. I'm sure you have noticed the glaring omission of kitchen facilities. These will be provided in a sort of 'field kitchen' supplied by SHIELD for those that do not wish to live on takeout. There are also porta-potties and a temporary shower block. It's the middle of winter! Enjoy!
In the long term this building will be for staff housing so they have a separate space from the students' shenanigans when they're not working. There will always be a member of staff on the main site, however, on a rota system.

Kirkbride Complex: Initially only areas E and F on this original floorplan will be habitable (and I use this term loosely). The other buildings (hospital patient wings) will not be converted for some time and will be done one block at a time. There are three main floors, attic spaces, basement and sub-basement (tunnels) I marked the stairways in red on the map.
The plan will be for section F, the Administration building, marked on the map in orange, to have staff offices on the ground floor and dormitories on the second and third floors. Attic space will be used for storage. The building contains dumb waiters, as you can see from the key on the floorplan, however I have been unable to locate the relevant number on any section of the building to mark them on for you. If anyone has better luck than me, let me know and I'll add them!
The kitchen complex is two stories - ground floor and basement and has a flat roof that can be accessed from the Kirkbride complex. SHIELD have kindly added in further tunnels.

Summer House: These buildings are pretty much the same as they were when built, but a little dilapidated. SHIELD will get around to fixing them up eventually. They're listed as Summer Houses but when built originally they were for TB patients to sit and take therapeutic fresh air as part of their cure.

Tunnels: The tunnels span the entire complex in a shape called 'the wagon wheel' all the corridors look the same and it is easy to get very lost. SHIELD have checked the stability of the tunnels and filled a couple that weren't so stable in but added others and left the remaining original tunnels as is. They are used to maintain heating and ventilation and were set up as a fallout shelter when such things were a concern, (Pictured are some left behind props from the film Section 9 in the tunnels).

Generator: The generator room (Boiler room) powers and heats the complex through a series of ventilation shafts and fans to keep up the air circulation. The facility can function off the grid if necessary, it was designed to keep the building functional even through the harsh New England winters.

---

Under Construction

Laundry: Exactly as labelled on the map. Everyone needs to wash their clothes and, as there is already a building set up for this, SHIELD have decided to just update it a little. The laundry was originally run mostly by patients and things would have been hand-washed mainly until quite recently before the building was shut down in the 80s. Much of the outdated equipment is probably still laying around.

Surgery Building: Built for general practice and minor surgery before the Bonner Medical building took over patient care. The hospital was famous for carrying out lobotomies and there is the potential to find the spikes and other old-fashioned medical equipment inside.

Carpark/Hangar: Situated right beside the Gray Gables where everyone will be sleeping and living for the first little while, the former female nurses building has three floors. Most of the walls will be knocked through to make a multi-level carpark on one side and, on the other side, pretty much all the floor knocked out so they can fit a jet in... plus the outside wall so they can get the jet out again. It'll probably be pretty noisy.

Apartments: The six floors of the former hospital are to be converted into an apartment block to house students that are married or with children (perhaps some of the staff if they so wish). Each apartment will have its own kitchen and bathroom with utilities supplied and one or two bedrooms. The basement floor will be laundry and communal recreation area.

--

Awaiting construction:

Gym Building: Was the former male nurses home and contains three floors and a basement level. SHIELD are using all the floors for various different sporting disciplines from the more active sports to gymnastics and martial arts with the majority of the ground floor converted into an indoor sports hall.

Pool: Both were once three story hydrotherapy units. The original height will be kept and used for viewing areas and high diving boards for the more acrobatic swimmers with separate diving pools and a main pool area for swimmers in both buildings.

Robotics Lab: Formerly a repair shop for farm and hospital equipment alike, patients would have used it to work on their personal projects also (much of the building extensions were built using bricks made by the patients and this was a point of pride for the hospital). A single story building standing apart from the main structure allows the robotics students to make as much noise as they desire without disturbing the rest of the student body.

Garage: Formerly a garage and stable block, SHIELD will perhaps preserve some of the stable area if enough interest is shown, the rest will be converted for use by the more mechanically minded students for maintenance of vehicles and the like.

RC and Anglican Chapels: Both chapels will be converted into non-denominational buildings for worship and reflection to cater for any beliefs held by present and future students.

Hospital patient wings: Wings B, C, D, G, H, I. Each of these six wings contain a dorm room, 14 single rooms, plus front and rear stair halls per floor (All visible on the original building floorplan). In keeping with the Kirkbride plan's requirements for fireproofing and fresh air, there are fire proof passage ways that separate each building from each other with double iron doors at each end. The ventilating towers are over these passages and are built up with brick past the highest point of the adjoining roofs to serve as a fireproof barrier between them.
Buildings B, C, H, I: have since had further alterations consisting of three-story solariums on the front of the building where patients could enjoy the sunlight and fresh air to aid their recovery (coloured grey on the map). SHIELD may keep some or all of these depending on which subjects the buildings end up being used for.
Terminating the complex were wings A and J for 'excited patients' connected to the building by octagonal entrance towers (where, in this case, the stairs to each floor were contained by cage-like structures and patients and staff separated by iron bars down the middle). Built for a total of 72 patients (36 in each building) they contain 12 single rooms, an attendant's rooms and dining room plus storage, pantry and back stair per floor.
Since original construction, two three-story brick annexes have been added to the ends of A and J to house additional chronic patients.

Additional photos:

'Art Therapy' left behind on the walls of patient rooms.
Basement morgue freezers.
Constructed of left behind patient clothing and lynched on the auditorium stage.
A view from the stage of the seating and projector area in the auditorium.
A parlour in one of the patient wings.

Photos of Danvers:

http://www.opacity.us/gallery97_dreary_skies.htm
http://www.opacity.us/gallery37_tiptoe.htm

Photos of similar style buildings (all built to the Kirkbride plan):

http://kingstonlounge.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... pital.html
http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp? ... did=109491

--

And that's your lot! I hope this proves to be useful for all of you! If there's any other things I didn't cover here I may have forgotten to add it, it's hard to remember everything that needs to go on there the first time around so just ask questions and I'll endevour to answer them. Have fun exploring!
Last edited by Svartfreja on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6

Chaos
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Mr. President
Nightscrawlearth Character: :venom :spidey etc.

Re: Map of the New Building

Post by Chaos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Wait, go back to exactly when a new building was found and used, who's manning that building, where it came from, why this is posted in a location I can't access save for by the links on chat, and why the mods didn't post it?

....or was none of that explained? 'Cause if it wasn't....now seems like the time. :D

I do so LOVE helping... <3

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:42 pm

They were offered a new building by a SHIELD agent on Christmas Eve. SHIELD supplied the building and the agent that introduced herself at Christmas will be overseeing the new project. I offered to do all the research and provide a map of the grounds so I posted it. All answered?

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6

Chaos
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Mr. President
Nightscrawlearth Character: :venom :spidey etc.

Post by Chaos » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Random SHIELD agent?

Ooooh, boy, I wish heard about this stuff before I wrote out all these plots....

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:00 pm

It was in the last game of the semester when they had a memorial. And no, not a random agent. There's a bio up. Carol Danvers.

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:01 pm

What I love about this new place is how HUGE it is. So many new rooms to play instances in, so much more room for many more people!

Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Three cheers for Freja for putting so much effort into creating this awesome map for us! :bounce :clap

Chaos wrote:Wait, go back to exactly when a new building was found and used, who's manning that building, where it came from, why this is posted in a location I can't access save for by the links on chat, and why the mods didn't post it?

....or was none of that explained? 'Cause if it wasn't....now seems like the time. :D

I do so LOVE helping... <3
You'll find most of your questions answered in this game: viewtopic.php?f=115&t=17777

As for why this wasn't posted by me: To put it simply - because Freja did all the work on it. All players are more than welcome to contribute to the game in any way they can think of and appraoch me with their ideas, and should be commended by us all for their effort to make this game a better experience for everyone. :)

Should any questions remain, please direct them at me personally, either by PM or in chat.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Some clarification of what will be available when the Semester starts up properly:

Gray Gables: Fixed up with nicely habitable bedrooms, two recreation rooms and (finally) functional bathrooms. Students and staff will inhabit the building until the dorm rooms in the two upper floors of the main admin block (F on the map section) are completed.

Admin and kitchen block: The ground floor has been mostly converted and a few of the walls have been knocked through. The kitchen has been extended past the original floor plan the original rear wall is the black line on the map across the kitchen area. SHIELD have kept the original kitchen block as kitchen and dining (though one of the spaces will be converted into a library when they need less of the space to feed agents as well as students) and the remaining part (past the black line) has been converted into temporary classrooms.

Using the original number keys (maybe later I'll go back in and rub out the lines and renumber to make it easier on you but it will not be this day ¬.¬) the alterations to the starting floorplan are as follows:

In the main admin building (Block F on the original floorplan - so the bit that sticks out at the bottom); Rooms 1, 2, 4, 7, 8 will be remaining at their original sizes. 1 has become a teaching space and will likely remain that way until the majority of work is completed at which point it will become the main recreation space. 2 and 4 are now both offices - 2 is the headmaster's office and 4 is where Carol will be working out of to oversee the project. 7 is currently the counselling room but Cessily will have more space when further alterations have taken place. 8 will continue to be a bathroom.

The part of the building that sticks out from one of the 11s (hallways) between the two threes is not actually part of the current standing stucture having been knocked down in the 1920s so there is actually just a wall there. SHIELD have knocked the lower 3 through to 11 and walled off more corridor space to join it to the rest of the hallways to create another small teaching space and done the same for the wall between the upper 3 and 6.

The upper two floors of this block are dormitories for students. The second floor is the boys dorm and the third floor the girls dorm with the attic space being kept free for storage and/or overflow dorm space. Unlike at XU, the bedrooms will not have ensuite and will instead have a toilet and showering space to share for each floor.

Kitchen block: (Block E on the original floorplan) 1 and 2 are now both dining halls to be used by students and staff (and SHIELD personnel that are working on the building). 3, 5 and 6 are storage areas, 4 is a recreation area which students may most commonly find occupied by SHIELD agents. The 7s located around the intersection of corridors are teachers' offices (except for the bottom right one which is a teacher bedroom for whoever happens to be on duty on the main building on any given night) and 8 is now the kitchen with pantries either side. 9 is another bathroom just as it was in the original building (SHIELD like to reuse the plumbing!).

Beyond the back wall of the kitchen there are four more classrooms. The two closest to the kitchen are temporary teaching spaces for whatever subjects come to them first. The two at the back of the building are for sculpture and engineering (one of these rooms contains a forge). The sculpture artists will need to share their space with the fine art students until their block is completed.

Former patient wings: (All former wings are laid out the same way [except A and J] but each block will eventually house particular subjects) Number 1s on the map are parlours where patients could enjoy the daylight and SHIELD have decided to keep them free and open to provide the corridors with as much light as possible and for the students to have somewhere to sit and wait for members of staff or do homework or whatever they like. They have been comfortably furnished with sofas and beanbags.

2s are further small recreation spaces with work areas for students as well as games and televisions. 3s are small subject specific libraries. 4s, 5s, 6s, 8s and 9s on the map have had their walls knocked through to create classroom spaces but the walls keeping them separate from the parlours/stairs/recrooms/libraries/bathrooms (7s) remain intact. SHIELD are keeping the bathrooms as bathrooms.

***So far only the ground floors of G and D are completed and ready for use.

Former Female nurses home: Hangar section is completed and the groundfloor parking area.

Surgery building: Up and ready to go so the doctors have somewhere to practice their trade, even if the building they're connected to is still a building site.

Garage, Robotics Lab, Generator and Laundry blocks: Up and ready to go, mostly. Power failures are still an issue but there are SHIELD Agents on hand to kick the generator back into motion when this happens.

The rest of the grounds are still a building site and swarming with agents. Much of the lawn space between the complex and the outbuildings is taken up with tents housing SHIELD technicians from one field or other trying to work out the best way to tackle the next section of the project or sleeping. The Agents will mostly keep to themselves even when inside the building at mealtimes or taking breaks but feel free to reference them being seen around the place.