Where Are You Paty?

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Paty »

:magneto
oopsie...
hehheheheheehheheeee
well.... yeah... Dave always said I was long winded when I get riled up...LOL... I have gotten old, but I ain't dead yet... so that's just me...
And, actually, I haven't really gotten into rant mode since we killed my thyroid. Before then even Dave and Boo tiptoed around me and the poor senior mods didn't know what to do with me! I was a holy terror! so you get a watered down version of the hellion I CAN be when I get on my high horse...LOL... Just don't get me started on either Byrne or Morrison and you'll be safe... sorta... maybe...

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAHHHAAHAAAA

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Angelique »

Sometimes the rants are well earned. How about that time Joey Q told you that women don't apply at Marvel anymore?

I'll give the guy credit for having the nerve to tell you that to your face.

(And yes, if Paty cares to share that story, there are a couple of reasons why I find it rather, in some twisted way, funny that he made that claim.)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Paty »

Ph, yeah...
I purely cannot believe he asid that cuz I KNOW there are aspiring females out there that apply regularly. they just want to keep it a little boy's club... no girlz wanted...go away!!!
and they have pulled up the roppe ladder to their treehouse.
Unfortunately, it is killing creativity in the bullpen!!!! Female characters are as scarce as female employees in creative rolls. Now don't get me wrong... I am sure there is plenty of eye candy there for the boys to ogle...Joey's secretary is a looker... and quite nice, I might add... but the place is a tomb!!! the spirit of ol' Marvel is deader than a doornail...and short of a major revamp, it ain't coming back, I fear.
There are times I am glad I am old and decrepit and hopefully will croak off soon... cuz seeing my beloved Marvel fall into such decay... both moral and creative... is a sadness beyond all hope.
When I left marvel, I told people that I foresaw bad things... and that being there was like watching a beloved child die of cancer and not being able to do anything to stop it. I left for my emotional sanity... for I loved the promise and the light Marvel could bring... it WAS camelot...and I just foresaw black days ahead when I stood back and evaluated the decline I was seeing. It took years... decades... but the downhill slope is getting steeper.
there are times I wish I could win a billion dollars in the lottery to buy controlling interest in Marvel and go in there and kick ass and take names and turn it around! that won't happen I know...I can only hope that youngsters who come later may want the early days back again and make it happen. I probably will never see it... but no matter what, I will never give up hope that it will happen. that someday Claremont will be allowed to write as he CAN write...that all the stupid office politics will go away and that laughter will once again ring through the halls of Marvel... something I noticed a particular LACK of when I was there... It was as silent as a mortuary at midnight!
ah well... all you gals out there ... keep applying so we can give that lie back to Joey at any con he goes to....OK? He should be ashamed of himself for lying to a lovely old broad like me...
heheheheheheheheee
Huggies
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Angelique »

^ I already did. In fact Joe Q told Paty that no women applied after she'd pepped talked and coached me through sending in two submissions!

No women apply... feh!

Ah well. Looks like I may get the last and best laugh, as I'm beginning work on my first "real" writing job.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Where Are You Paty?

Post by neling4 »

Congratulations again, Angelique!

I am working on a children's story, which I hope to publish one day. I started my tale long before I ever considered applying at Marvel, but I have since heard that being a previously published author gives you an advantage when applying at Marvel. I wonder if that is true?

I have a couple of questions for you, Paty. May I call you Paty?

Also, do you know how many writers at Marvel actually have a college degree in anything related to writing, or any previous training at all?
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Paty »

Heh...
everyone calls me Paty... join the club!!! BWAHAHAHAHHA
I have no idea of how much training some of these dudes have, quite frankly...I do know that Marvel said it was trying to get writers from other mediums to write for them... but comic book writing is a very speciallized field.
Before I became legally blind, I used to beta read for Laurell K. Hamilton on her Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series, as well as her fey series... and I used to urge her to try to adapt the stories to comic format... Eventually she did and she tells me writing comics is a whole different ball of wax than writing prose stories!
she is having fun doing it, though...LOL.. and Marvel, by acquiring the small company she went with, has to honor the terms of their contract with her, so cannot take gross advantage of her while exploiting the fact that she is a NYTimes bestselling author.
It DOES help if you have either printed writing or art credits ... in comic format especially... but other format can help too... and the more copies you have published, the better your chances of being taken seriously in any medium... prose or comic... becomes. It shows you know how to do sequential storylines and tell coherent and interesting stories. If you are an artist, it shows how you storyboard a story... cuz comics are movie storyboards done in magazine format... with a much lower pay scale, too, btw...LOL
so having writing or art credits to your name already gives anyone a toe in the door. but marvel is so horrendously male chauvenistic, don't try it unless you got balls of brass and can give em back harder than you get. A thick hide and a bulldog spirit. I lasted there eight years, and it was easier then than now.. no matter what they say, cuz stan was actually trying to bring in women writers and artists and have ethnic diversity, too...
ain't that way now, from what I can see.
they point at Laurell and say "see? we have women creators..." who happen to OWN their own properties they are allowing ymarvel to print...who are well established writers in their own rights and deign to work for you cuz they are honoring a contract they made with another company you acquired.
they must think we are as blind and as stupid as they are...
sigh
yes, I AM opinionated...
hehehehehehheee
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Where Are You Paty?

Post by neling4 »

Thanks Paty!

[Edited on 9/11/08 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

SamKarns
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Where Are You Paty?

Post by SamKarns »

Writing here in the forum could help you're rehabilitation. Come back to us, I will be well worth it.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Paty »

Hi everyone...
Actually I am now pretty much fully recovered. But while I was recovering, it was painful to sit in my computer chair and post... much less lean forward so I can read the posts already here.
I even have a couple of U2Us that I just haven't gotten to read yet. I started to read one and had to stop because the leg was throbbing horrifically. When you are as old as I am it takes a bit longer to knit bones... especially when it was broken as badly as it was... which was VERY badly... it actually twisted and shattered...
I am told that this issomething that only happens in one percent of the knee replacements. I wonder if this makes me a "one percenter"...LOL
Anyway... I am doing fine now and trying to catch up on everything else that has gone to hell while I was bedridden...sigh...be back soon...
Paty
OH... AND THANKS TO THE STAFF FOR GETTING MY MAGNETO ICON BACK!!! YAY!!!
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Slarti »

heehee, you're welcome on Mags, though it was HM's doing.

Good to hear you're feeling better! Welcome back!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Where Are You Paty?

Post by Paty »

Thanks, Slarti... good to be back...
I actually had to go in and change the addy to write to on my signature, cuz, as I am sure most of you know, Marvel moved again when disney flexed it's muscles. I am willing to bet that disney owns the building they went into...LOL that's not gospel,y'unnerstand... just a good guess. I do hope the atmosphere in it is better than the one in the tomb I visited in 07!!! I mean... Egad! I have seen livlier mortuaries!!! It's no wonder Marvel is no longer the vibrant, creative place it was when Dave and I worked there... sigh
anyway, I shall try to check in more often
Huggies to all...
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020