Dave Cockrum has passed away

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CliffordMeth »

November 26, 2006

With a heavy heart, I regret to inform you that Dave Cockrum passed away this morning. After a long battle with Diabetes and its varied complications, Dave died in his sleep early this morning.

Dave’s many creationsâ€
STEPHANEGARRELIE
Lubber
Lubber

Post by STEPHANEGARRELIE »

Terrible news.
Condolences to Paty and the rest of Dave's family.

[Edited on 26/11/06 by STEPHANEGARRELIE]
JGM Comics
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JGM Comics »

Once again, my condolences. I am deeply saddened by this.
JasonSacks
Lubber
Lubber

Terrible news

Post by JasonSacks »

Wow, this is horrible news. My sympathies to Paty, Dave's son, and all his close friends. I never knew Dave personally, but I had a wonderful time creating davecockrum.net and revisiting all his terrific artwork and other creations. Dave was truly a man who affected others simply by force of his tremendous personality. Dave was a legendary figure when he was alive - just look at the regard that Legion fandom of a certain age has always had for him - and his legend will only continue and grow.

Cliff, thank goodness that you were able to negotiate the settlement with Marvel for him, so that he could get out of that awful VA hospital and get back to South Carolina. And I'm very glad that Paty will still be covered under the settlement as well.

My deepest sympathies to everybody. I am not looking forward to the chore of updating the website with this terrible news.
Indigo
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Indigo »

This is a very sad day.

My condolences to Paty and all of Dave's friends and family. I miss him already.

[Edited on 4-12-0606 by Indigo]
etherpunk
Lubber
Lubber

Post by etherpunk »

My condolences to Paty and Dave's family and friends. He was a wonderful man who gave us so many lasting memories.

He will definitely be missed.
Knighthealer
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Knighthealer »

Mr. Meth...thank you for letting us now! I am mourning with Paty right now. I am going to miss Dave dreadfully. My love to Paty and the whole of their families!

Mary M. Ward
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CliffordMeth »

Folks,

Forgive me for not replying to personal emails right now; I have many calls to make and am dealing with the press. Frankly, I find that having something to do--some measure of responsibility that unburdons Paty--is theraputic. I'll post a more in-depth statement soon at CliffordMeth.com and SilverBulletComicBooks.com ... Know that Paty is receiving your messages and your love. --Clifford Meth
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

My thoughts are with Mr. Cockrum's family, especially Paty Cockrum, who I hope will continue to grace Nightscrawlers with her presence. This is a sad day for comics, so influenced by Mr. Cockrum's legacy, and for us, his fans. Nightscrawlers has lost a member of its family.

Wind to thy wings, David Cockrum.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CliffordMeth »

There will be plenty of tributes, I'm sure. I'm thankful I wrote mine while Dave was alive to read it.

I had to get this out of my stomach, though:
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/masters/

Cliff
Harlekein
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Harlekein »

My deepest condolences to the entire Cockrum family.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

My deepest sympathies. Dave will be very much missed.

Life is eternal, and love is immortal,
and death is only a horizon;
and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.
~Rossiter Worthington Raymond

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Deepest condolences to Paty and Dave's family. As Northstar said, we lost a member of the Nightscrawlers family, a huge member, and he will be greatly missed.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
cinlach
Lubber
Lubber

Post by cinlach »

i was stunned to hear the news of dave's passing.

i was fortunate enough to meet dave on three occasions, each more pleasant then the one before.

the last was little less then a month ago at a small local convention here in greenville, sc.

since my friends rob and chris had put the show on, i was volunteering my time to help them run things.

i also had an out of state friend who requested a sketch, which dave was most generous to agree to do.

that con was the first time i'd had the pleasure of meeting paty and i made sure to tell both of them that if they needed anything during the day to not hesitate to let one of the volunteers know.

they were well received by not only the dealers, and other pro's...but the fans as well.

my heart and thoughts go out to paty and everyone else touched by the loss of a genuinely good person.

his memory will live on.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty" - that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn

You will never be forgotten and your art shall live on with each generation that discovers it.

My sincerest sympathies go out to his family.

Feel free to add this banner to your signatures everone:

[Edited on 27/11/0606 by JSherlock]
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

I am so sorry to hear about this. Dave Cockrum was such a brilliant artist and an incredibly nice guy. I count myself fortunate to have met him on a few occasions and obtained some nice artwork by him. He was one of my all-time favorite comic book creators.

My condolences to Paty and to the rest of his family.
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CliffordMeth »

The Last Days of Dave Cockrum

My very first column at SBC dealt with Dave Cockrum. I was pissed off at the time because Dave lay in a hospital bed at a neglected Bronx V.A. facility and didn’t have two nickels to rub together. Despite the fact that he’d created a good portion of the X-Men characters that everyone knows and loves. It was one of those huge injustices that was too big and too close to ignore. I was getting ready for a fight. Perhaps guys like me are always getting ready for a fight.

Guys like Dave Cockrum are just the opposite. If it hadn’t been for the burden of his illness, he would never have even mentioned his missing royalties to anyone. For companies that take advantage of that sort of guy, that’s a ready-made sucker, a patsy. But for Dave Cockrum, it was about getting on with life. He was happy to have created what he created, to have found a career drawing comics. He never verbalized any regret about his chosen field. At least not to me, and I was his pal. Dave never considered the road not taken. “What else could I have done?â€
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I just heard the bad news and had to come back here to pay my respects to Mr Cockrum and to offer Paty my deepest condolences.. from the few times I actually spoke to him on this site, I could tell that he was genuinely a nice and caring individual and he'll be greatly missed.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

My deepest sympathies to Paty and all of Dave's family and friends. As has already been said, we at Nightscrawlers have lost a dear member of the family today. If not for Dave, this site wouldn't exist.

I'm truly grateful I had the chance to know him, and meet him in person.

Jeanette and Scott
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

My deepest sympathies to the Cockrum family. Mr Cockrum gave us all something in his incredible creations and inspired many people. He will be greatly missed, but greatly remembered.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Rest in peace, Dave. You won't be truly gone while your art is still loved.

All my love n thoughts to Paty and family. Dave was an inspiration for the short time i've been here.
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Ogrebear
Lubber
Lubber

RIP

Post by Ogrebear »

I am so sorry to hear that Dave has passed on.

Best wishes to Paty and the family.

R.I.P.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Slarti said it best. There wouldn't be a Nightscrawler family if it weren't for him. And I don't think it will be quite the same without him.

Thanks, Cliff, for letting us know, for the tribute both in print and what you just posted.

As for me, the lousy timing of it (not that there's any good time to lose such a guy as Dave) has me kind of reeling now. Barry and I would rate this Worst. Anniversary. Present. Ever.

Tell Paty we're sending her a barrage of virtual hugs from eastern Idaho.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I know I've been away from the forum for a while, but as soon as I heard, I came back, so I could offer my condolances to Paty and everyone else who knew him. He was a great artist and a great person, he will be missed deeply.
Nightcrawlis
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightcrawlis »

I have just heard the news, my deepest sympathies to Paty and his family.
'To be a good designer, you have to be a very violent psychopath.' Stan Lee.
"If you've got Mystique as your girlfriend the fun you could have in bed - I've just imagined X-Men 3 might open with me in bed with Patrick Stewart." -- Sir Ian McKellen