Dave Cockrum has passed away

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
wolviechickie
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by wolviechickie »

I havent Posted on this Forum for ages but I thought now is the time...

Dave...you legend, rest in peace with all your fallen Creations
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:magneto
goddamn, honey...ain't that the truth!
Am I the only one who wishes we had the Comics Code back? It may have been a pain in the ass... but it made writers tell stories instead of trashing heroes and using sex and violence to sell the books.

Dave found a lot of the modern day comics unreadable... and it had nothing to do with his failing eyesight...I, unfortunately, concur... an unhealthy and disappointing amount of the time...
sigh...
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Anuj
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Anuj »

It is sad, so very, very sad, when we lose a good man. He did so much for us, our imaginations, our childhoods really...he was so much a part of it. And that’s saying a tremendous lot as this was back in India...in the (mid to) late 70’s...and one didn’t have easy (or continuous) access to Marvel’s, DC’s or the other books. When did I first discover his works? That’s lost in the mists of time...but I vividly recall #20 of Ms. Marvel...the new costume...and that cover to Ms. Marvel #21, it’s been there lurking in my mind. How does it feel to reach and touch someone on the other side of the world (and so many of us at that)? You did that, Dave, and thank you for it. I wish that personally I had been in a position to do something, anything...at least to have said something to Dave...but I cannot now...and it’s my loss. Thank you, Paty, Mr. Meth, Mr. Adams. By being there for Dave, you did what we all should have done...but sometimes it’s not that easy or possible to do. My love and best wishes to Paty and the family.
cnavalon
Lubber
Lubber

Post by cnavalon »

I'm so sad.

Forgive me, my english is poor.
I'm from Spain, there are lots of fans affected for this tragic notice in my country.

Actually, i'm trying write an article about Dave for a digital fanzine (in Spanish, of course)

I will try make it with all respect he deserves.

My condolences.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

thanks to all of you who posted your thoughts and memories of Dave to this forum. I truely do not believe that Dave would have suspected the tons of messages and cards and such that have arrived and the accolades given him in the press, the TV and the internet news. He simply could not concieve of how he touched and influenced so many people! He was a good and humble man and it showed in his work and his demeanor. He loved to talk to fans at the cons and on this forum and I thank the creators of theis forum for the chance they gave him to speak with his fans. As the diabetes took it's toll on him, this board was one of the things that brightened his days and gave him access to more than this house and his hospitals and dialysis clinics. Nightscrawlers gave him a life ... of sorts... back ... and for this I am eternally grateful to all here who communicated with him and talked to him and enjoyed him, his ideas, and his creativity.

A small aside to the mods here... cockrum corner, being in black, with white letters, for the nonce, is readable by me.... but the new format I cannot read cuz it is white letters on pale blue background and the contrast is not enough to allow me any ease in reading other threads in the forum. Before, when i signed in, it would go to the older dark blue format which I , and I am sure, other visually impaired folk, found highly readable. Is there any way we can get that format back??? if not for everyone, at least for us visually impaired folk? Just wondering...

thanks, all!
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by Paty

A small aside to the mods here... cockrum corner, being in black, with white letters, for the nonce, is readable by me.... but the new format I cannot read cuz it is white letters on pale blue background and the contrast is not enough to allow me any ease in reading other threads in the forum. Before, when i signed in, it would go to the older dark blue format which I , and I am sure, other visually impaired folk, found highly readable. Is there any way we can get that format back??? if not for everyone, at least for us visually impaired folk? Just wondering...
In your control panel, you can change the theme from this default to the original one. I'll go ahead and take care of that for you :)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOL... and as you know, I am so computer illterate I don't know these things... I live back in horse and buggie days...LOL...computers and I will never get along , I fear...

thank you so much for this. I find the dark blue backgrounds with the pale printing very easy to read and gentle on the eyes ...they don't make me snowblind reading posts!!! It's a boon...

big huggies to you, darlin'
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

You're welcome :)

If you need anything else, let us know!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
EUREKA28
Lubber
Lubber

Post by EUREKA28 »

I was very unhappy to learn the Dave Cockrum's death.
It was a schock .
A part of my dreams and my youthfulness went away with him.
The Cliffordmeth's words touched me too.

I think it couldn't happen in France.
The american can't be proud of that .

What do the initials V.A. mean ?
Does the stroke concern the brain ?

[Edited on 19/3/07 by EUREKA28]
pignut
Lubber
Lubber

Post by pignut »

Sorry I'm slow on the news (I'm travelling). Really sad. His art had a lot of charm, I remember his footnote when he finished his run on Uncanny Xmen and John Byrne's tidy but rather soulless art took over.

Condolences to his family. For creating Nightcrawler he deserved better from Marvel.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

OK..I tried posting a reply and it didn't "take"... I will try again.
thanks to all for their expressions of sympathy. I am doing OK here at Cockrum Corner... which is what we have named the place, studio and all... since we ARE located on the corner of two intersecting roads.
To answer questions...the VA is the Veteran's Administration... a department reted to assist vets with medical and other problems, including housing and such.sometimes it works better than other times. the VA in NY was functional and took care of Dave as best it could. the VA down here in south Carolina is marginally functional and takes care of nobody...even recent Iraqui vets!!! it is a disgrace! the feds famedd out the franchise to people who apparently robbed the till and refused to give services... so the feds recently took the franchise back and hopes to straighten out the mess..too late for Dave, of course... but he is not the only vet to die from their neglect and malpractice, I guess...no hope for it though.
A "stroke" does concern the brain and central nervous system. It is a broken blood vessel in the central nervous system and can cause many problems, from paralysis to blindness...as in the stroke of the optic nerve that took out my vision... to death... depending on where it is and how bad. I am working myway back to sight slowly but surely... It will never be one hundred percent, I know that... but it gets better every day, so we shall see...no pun intended.
sorry I have not been posting lately... I am busy trying to whip this place into shape for the small memorial afternoon we are having here at the homestead for Dave on May 7. Friends and family are gonna sit around, remembering him, telling stories about him and then we will go out and plant him where he wanted to be by the pond. there is not impediment to burying ashes on one's property in SC... so he will stay here where he wanted to be. I hope to enlarge the pond around his "spot" to make it an island in thepond... a decorative element that may preserve his resting place after I am gone and the place is sold...hopefully. anyway, he wanted to be here and so he will be.
I do hope to get back to posting regularly onNightscrawlers as I miss the interaction with all you wonderful folk... but I have been so busy lately getting things straightened out here that I haven't been on the net for a while.
An aside to the supermods... can youfix my thingie again? I am back to pale blue format and it never works when I try to fix it. Rivka is having a similar problem...hers is stuck in Black mourning format and it is depressing to her and she can't seem to get it out of that mode... so could you fix hers, too? she was wondering to me if it was stillin that format for everyone and i told her I was getting the regular blue format so i would ask the super mods to fix... so could you, please?

Other than that, all is well here at cockrum corner...I am gonna attempt to start a new thread... but you KNOW who it is gonna be about, don't you?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAA
Huggies
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Hey Paty. We recently moved to a new server and haven't reinstalled all of the old programming as of yet. Our technical admin has been very busy and will do it ASAP, and we'll switch you over as soon as that happens.

Rivka's should be the blue and white now though - if it isn't please let me know :)

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

thanks, darlinn'... good to know it isn't just me...LOL...computer illiterate dodo that I am... I also tried to start a new thread and could only get the error page... is this a problem with the new server in conjunction with very old computers like mine? I know some programs won't work on older types of windows... and mine is the ME 2001 ecition... which I understand is considered beyoun obselete... but works better than Vista, I am given to understand..LOL...
so I will bear with you guys ... I know the problems with life intruding and being busy...been there, done that... LOLOL

thanks for the prompt answer and i will get back to you if rivka is still in mourning mode...OK?
Big huggies, Paws...you are the best!
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Mrs. Cockrum, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband.

I could kick myself for not posting sooner. I would have liked to tell Mr. Cockrum how much I enjoyed his work, and that, thanks to him, I have been in love with Nightcrawler for over thirty years!
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

I know I haven't been on here in practically forever, I admit I'm no longer much of a Nightcrawler fan, but Dave will always hold a place of utmost respect in my mind.
The reason I came on, actually, is that I had a terrible feeling about him passing on, and I don't know if it was actually a premonition, but it's obviously true.

Dave was an awesome person, more than an incredibly creative mind, he was my friend. I will miss him.

Paty, I must express my sympathy to you. I'm sorry I didn't do so sooner.
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Not a problem, darlin'... I still have hundreds of emails of condolence and sympathy to respond to... and I really want to do that, but have just not had the time ... it goes away so fast...
I am still getting emails of condolence from people who have just heard of Dave's passing... so believe me, you are not alone... and late is better than never.

I am glad Dave has brightened you lives with his talend and I only wish he actually knew how many people loved him and his work...cuz he had no idea how popular he was... no lie... he just thought he was "just folks" and basically forgotten by most of the comic minded world.

If you like a creator... tell them while you can. write to them, either emails or snail mail addressed in care of the company they work for...the company must deliver mail addressed to them and will do so. Just let your faves know you care and how much their work means to you! It is soul food for the writer and artist to know their audience loves them.
Huggies
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
EUREKA28
Lubber
Lubber

Post by EUREKA28 »

Thank you for the precisions ,Paty .

I translated the ''last days of Dave Cockrum'' in french in this forum :
http://buzzcomics.net/showthread.php?t=22202
I want to tell them the truth .

[Edited on 21/4/07 by EUREKA28]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I hate condolences because nothing you say could possibly make someone feel better, or even bring the ease to what you have heard, but regardless, Dave was one of my heroes so here it goes.
Paty, I'm not sure if you remember me but I'm Bamfman. Back in 2002. I returned to the site recently and I don't know where my head was, but it was clearly not where it should have been. I only just learned of this and I am so incredibly saddened by this news. Your comments to speak to our heroes hit me hardest of all the comments here, and I have vowed that I should do so, and I plan to make my thoughts known to Stan Lee and Brian Michael Bendis now. I am glad I was able to converse with Dave the few times I did, and was able to let him know how much I respect his work and adore his art style.

Mark Twain said: Manifestly, dying is nothing to a really great and brave man.

I think when it comes to people like Dave, Stan, Steve Ditko, that whole generation, those words speak for themselves. Groundbreakers all of them.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
catherinecarter85
Lubber
Lubber

Post by catherinecarter85 »

Thanks for sharing. This information is useful.:shocked

pret auto
bobtom115
Lubber
Lubber

Post by bobtom115 »

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing :X

pret personnel

[Edited on 23/6/09 by bobtom115]
Wish-I-Had-A-Tail
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat
Title: Summer Movie Writing Challenge Winner

Post by Wish-I-Had-A-Tail »

I'm new, but I'm sorry, Paty. Really sorry.

Regards
Tail