Dave Cockrum Original Artwork

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
cockrumFANrick
Lubber
Lubber

Post by cockrumFANrick »

Mr Cockrum, I was wondering if you would be able to confirm this piece here is authentic:

http://www.virtualcomicartcon.com/0786.jpg

It's a cover recreation for Giant Sized X-Men #1 that I beleive you did back in 2002 (the piece is dated) that I was considering buying. I also wanted to know if you knew (or maybe even owned) the original? And I also was curious how many Giant Sized X-Men #1 cover recreations you've done and what the commission cost is/was.

I'm a fan of your work and hope you're feeling better and wish you all of the best. Thanks!
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Yes, that's one of mine. No, I don't own the original, it was sold many years ago. I've done three or four recreations; most of them went for around $2,000.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
cockrumFANrick
Lubber
Lubber

Post by cockrumFANrick »

Mr. Cockrum, Thank you for your verification. It's much appreciated. Are you doing any more recreations or commissions, or are you retired from doing work? What was the last published piece you did? I heard you were originally going to do something in the Giant Sized X-Men #3 issue by Joss Whedon. You did the cover for that one, and that's the last piece I know of that you've done that I know of. I do look forward to seeing more of your work in the future if you're up to it. Again, best wishes on continued recovery and happiness.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

That Giant Size #3 cover was the last tthing I did for publication. I was supposed to do something with Joss Whedon, but I began having problems with my eyes and had to beg off. I've had two operations on my left eye and they tell me I'll need one more before I'm done. I'm not doing any commissions or recreations at the time being. Between the problems with my eyes and arthritis stiffening my hands, I can't say whether I'll ever do any more work. I certainly hope so.

--Atilla's Hunny
TedL
Lubber
Lubber

Human Fly Artwork

Post by TedL »

Hi All,

I purchased this cool Human Fly piece from Dave's son, Ivan, several years ago and Dave was kind enough to sign it for me at a show in 2002:

http://www.comicsfun.com/comicart/album ... manfly.gif

Neither of them could remember exactly what this was used for. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. Obviously it's not a real Human Fly cover. This looks like maybe something that might have been published in Foom. Has anyone seen this before?

By the way, I have several other interesting pieces by Dave which I'll be posting about soon.

Regards,
Ted

[Edited on 5/11/0606 by TedL]
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

I think that was a promotional piece. The issue number is #124, and I know the book never ran that many issues.

--Atilla's Hunny
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Wow, those are both really cool pieces

Post by Panz »

Hey Dave sorry about your eyes, I'm kind of in the same boat, which is why I don't post much any more. Eye strains a killer. I'm not eligible for the laser surgery because of a thin cornea. I hope that the next surgery clears up your vision. The only thing I can say about arthritis is that it stinks to have it, My SO has it in his right knee and I have to pull him out of comfy chairs sometimes.

But that is a bang up cool classic cover and its beautiful.. if you were going to hang up the drawing gear and not do any more, that piece was a swell way to end with

But I am a selfish little witch and hope that you can still draw some times

Best wishes and keeping my fingers crossed for you and your eyes sight.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

I attended a local show a couple weeks ago, and did sketch for a guy. It toiok me most of the day and it was like pulling teeth. In the old days I'd've thrown it away, but the guy seemed happy enough with it.

--Atilla's Hunny
cockrumFANrick
Lubber
Lubber

Post by cockrumFANrick »

Dave Cockrum, you're most certainly a fan favorite and a true gentleman for honoring a fan with a lifetime memory of meeting you at the convention and a souvenir sketch. What did you end up drawing? The main reason I ever go to the conventions is meeting the comic book creators and it's always a bonus to get an autograph or personal sketch. My first sketch I ever got as a young kid collecting comics was by Bill Sienkiewicz of "The Thing" back in 1982 and I have that sketch on my wall displayed over 20 years later and looking at it brings back fond memories. I hope you'll recover and be well enough to continue attending conventions and meeting your fans, including me! Do you think you'll be attending anything in the California area such as either Wonder Con (San Francisco), San Diego Comic Con, or Wizard World Los Angeles?
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

SSorry, thhanks to many problems--finance, the need to carry oxygen supplies, and the need for dialysis three times a week--I can't travel to California. I can't go to any show more than two or three hours drive from Belton.

And the sketch I did in Greenville was Wolverine and Colossus doing a 'fastball special'.
--Atilla's Hunny