Question for Dave about pencilling his two X-Men stints

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
czeskleba2
Lubber
Lubber

Post by czeskleba2 »

Occasional lurker here with a question. I was looking at the www.comics. org database and I noticed that on your first X-Men stint they credit you with pencils, but for your second stint they credit you with breakdowns. So I was wondering first of all is that true: did you do full pencils on your original X-Men tenure but just breakdowns when you came back to the book? And if so, why?
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

They're wrong. I did loose pencils in blue. Editor Ann Nocenti referred to them as 'shakedowns'. But everything was there.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
czeskleba2
Lubber
Lubber

Post by czeskleba2 »

Thanks for the reply, it's interesting to learn more about the nuts and bolts of comic illustration. Pardon my ignorance, but why did you use a blue pencil? Was your second X-men stint the only time you pencilled in blue, or did you ever do so on other books?

(edit: I've notified www.comics.org and asked them to correct the error in credits).

[Edited on 26/4/06 by czeskleba2]
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

I nearly always do blue pencils now. Originally, I'd do blue pencils and then tighten up in black. The blue pencils were difficult for the camera to see, so I didn't have to erase them. Later it occurred to me that basically, I was penciling the same job twice.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny