Dave Cockrum Made My Childhood!

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
muchdrama
Lubber
Lubber

Post by muchdrama »

Paty,

I just wanted to pop in and tell you how much Dave's work meant to me as a child (and still does... Mom would put me in a corner of a dept. store with Dave's work to keep me sedate and manageable). I was just going through my X-Men Essentials volumes admiring Mr. Cockrum's work, and I thought I'd jump online and buy The Tribute Book that'll hopefully help repay all the joy Dave gave me as a child. I hope he's up and about and running around by now! God Bless you folks!

Sincerely,
Don
"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it." --Mark Twain
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I think Mr. Cockrum's work is making my teens and as many people on the site prove, his work had affected a lot of people. His inspirational work has turned me onto reading X-Men, especially his great characters:bamf I'd also like to thank him and seeing as muchdrama has supplied me with the media to do so, I'd like to thank him here and now:D Maybe we can all do so here.. Also I hope you're recuperating and you'll be back to normal soon.:D
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Thank you both for your kind words. My own childhood was made more liveable and enjoyble by guys such as Wally Wood, Joe Kubert, Gil Kane, Murphy Anderson, Jack Kirby and many others, and it gives me a thrill to know I've been able to do the same for younger generations.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
LOL... Dave is recuperating nicely even as we type...LOL.
seriously, the weather down here in SC seems to help him a lot, too. It is milder even when it is cold... and for us old folk, that's a biggie! I mean, the sound effecs every morning consist of groans and creaks... all open for color!!!

but we muddle on. sometimes we don't get online as much as we would wish... cuz right now, we are busily setting up the studio and getting our reference library up and outta boxes from the move. then there's the hundred or so boxes still in the barn... sigh... will it never go away? we are innundated with cardboard!!! thank goodness our local dump doesn't charge like our NY one did! Oy... we'd go broke just taking cardboard to the dump!!! for recycling!!! LOL

Dave does appreciate his fandom, though. He was so surprised at people coming out of the woodwork to wish him get well messages that I know all of those messages really DID make the difference. It really makes you want to get better when you are told you have hundreds and sometimes thousands of people out there rooting for you!

so thanks, y'all! dave will probably pop in later, but I will take this moment to say thanks to the people here at Nightscrawlers for their devotion to Dave's alter Ego and to him and his talent. This is by far the best forum on the net, in my estimation... even if we do have our glitches. The people we talk to here are fun and wonderful even if we disagree on things. Here we can speak our mind and agree to disagree if our views differ.

Dave and I find it lots of fun and very rewarding to pop in now and again and see what's going on here.
thanks again, guys for your kind words about Dave.

paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Huh... now look at that... he snuck in and posted while I was typing. I guess I am just longer winded than he is...LOL... I alert him to the posts and BLAMMO... he beats me to the punch!

Hmmmm... gonna have to smak that sucker upside thehead...

OH, DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE..........

PATY
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by muchdrama
Paty,

I just wanted to pop in and tell you how much Dave's work meant to me as a child (and still does...
DITTO!!! Your work on the title and the fruits of your imagination are what make me a rabid X-MEN junkie to this very day. THANK YOU!
And your a GIL KANE fan...WoW!!

(P.S. Hi PATY!)

:)

B A M F !
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Heehee! walloping the menfolk is one of the things that fiesty redheads do best :LOL Go get 'im girl! I don't get on to post much right now since I've been working two jobs , but I wanted to take this time to repeat myself one more time and say that Dave's art has always been inspirational and great gourmet yummies for the eyes and imagination. One of the most engaging things about Dave's Nightcrawler is his wonderful range of expressions and how he uses his tail so naturally and expressively. A lot of artists and writers create characters with odd appearances or alien appendages and don't make good use of them at all. Dave, thanks again for creating one of the two men that I've had a more than 25 year long crush on (The other is Sean Connery, and I don't think you created him :LOL ).

Take care and good luck with all of the cardboard.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jafabian »

Dave's work at DC on Superboy and the Legion is what got me into comics. I was blown away with "The Fatal Five That Twisted Time" and have been hooked on comics since. Thanks to Dave I blow thousands upon thousands of dollars on comics and comics merchandise each and every year!

And worse yet, I don't care! There's worse things to spend money on.
Beware the Sleestak
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Yeah, you betcha there are worse things to spend money on. When people look down their nose at me because of my comics related obsessions, I simply ask them who I am hurting with these innocent pastimes? do I blow cancerous smoke in other's faces? do i drive drunkenly down the road? do I do drugs? No to all of them...so who am I hurting when I talk in bubbles? Hmmmm?
And we give creators and the companies a GOOD living...

I told Dave about the thread, and as soon as he irons some bugs out of his computer, he'll peek in, I am sure...LOL...I told him to get a PC!!! He had a program to write stuff in... but it was a "trial" thing and if he wants a simple word processor program it is gonna cost him five hundred dollars to get a simple freakin program to write scripts or stories on!!! Can you believe that? Apple really gts you in the pocketbook. You buy a computer and all it has in it is "trial" programs???on basic working stuff??? He spends a thousand dollars on the freakin' thing and it doesn't even have a basic word processing program installed???geez! Whatta ripoff! I mean, OK... if you need heavy duty editing and publishing programs...OK... buy em. But a freakin basic word processor program??? Write letters with? suchlike? geez!

So, he will peek in when he is back online...he says to say "hi" to all and sundry!
PCs RULE!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAA

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

Originally posted by Panz
Dave, thanks again for creating one of the two men that I've had a more than 25 year long crush on (The other is Sean Connery, and I don't think you created him :LOL ).
Sean Connery is four hundred years old, and still sexier than anybody I know. :LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL

--Atilla's Hunny
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jafabian »

Don't cave in to the PC gods Dave! Apple rulz! Apple rulz! (and their stock recently split to boot)

Hey Dave, word is Jim Shooter is trying to write one more Legion story and Paul Levitz commented he couldn't picture anyone but Curt Swan drawing it if it becomes a reality. Since that isn't possible, YOU came to mind when I tried to think of a suitable replacement. You should follow up on that if ya can!
Beware the Sleestak
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jafabian »

I should add, if you have no problem with Shooter. I keep forgetting that most people think of him as a real horse's @$$.
Beware the Sleestak
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Originally posted by Paty
:] it is gonna cost him five hundred dollars to get a simple freakin program to write scripts or stories on!!! Can you believe that? Apple really gts you in the pocketbook. You buy a computer and all it has in it is "trial" programs???on basic working stuff??? He spends a thousand dollars on the freakin' thing and it doesn't even have a basic word processing program installed???geez! Whatta ripoff!
Actually No, you're wrong about Mac. Again.

Apple has not only one but T W O free word processors pre-installed. they're both right there in the applications folder. One is called TextEdit the other is called AppleWorks, they both come preinstalled with MacOSX.
Call me King!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

We're probably getting rampantly off-topic, so I apologise for that. I will add the sign.

:offtopic

Since we're beating down Windows, I must note that Windows machines come with Wordpad, which all of the pure word-processing features of Word, if not fancy things like spell-checking and the like that Word has. It also saves Word documents and in RTF (a word processing standard), which is a godsend.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Hmph... well, Dave can't find them... don't forget, we're computer dummies here...and this is a new machine to him...I shall tell him there are Apple nutballs of his ilk here and maybe you can point him towards being able to type something on the damn thing...

and going off topic is de rigeur here at Cockrum's Corner!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

OK... just talked to Dave... he said he found one finally in some program called "Office" so now he can write stuff...
sheesh...
that man never tells me anything! He yells and screams that he can't do this or that... but when he finds out HOW to DO it... soes he yell "Hey! I found it!!!" NO he does not...
sheesh...
OK... he's finally made the stupid MAC behave...

Give me my PC any day!

paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

I think of PC as 'stone knives and bear skins'. :LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL

--Atilla's Hunny
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Uh huh... which is why you were cursing and yelling at the IMAC yesterday when we were trying to find something on Ebay...LOL

I had no trouble except ebay selling things out from under me as I scrolled down the page!
sheesh! but that wasn't Magnus' fault.
OH, yeah... my computer's name is Magnus! ssurprise!
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

My computer's name is 'Dumb Dora'.

No, actually, it doesn't have a name.

--Atilla's Hunny
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

I think my pc is going to be called Vlad, it sucks a lot :LOL most of the time.

Yo, Dave, my mate who is a tech geek, says that you may be able to find a bunch of cool downloads for Mac at :
Mac Stuff
if you don't already know about it.

And yeah, Connery just seems to become more sexy as he goes. :love I don't know what the ol fart puts on his wheaties, but I'm not complaining ;)
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOL... sean connery has gotta be one of the sexiest men alive. He will probably even be sexy after he is dead! Necrophilia looms...LOL
Adrian Paul ain't bad either, especially in long hair...heh heh ...

I really miss the Highlander series...sigh...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020