Magneto Sighting in Belton, SC

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Check it out! The dread Master of Magnetism was seen in Belton, SC!

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

And here he(?) is again, in all his(?) glory...

--Atilla's Hunny
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

...and here's yet a third shot of the Mighty Magneto--

--Atilla's Hunny
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

One question:

:eekWHERE DID YOU FIND THE HELMET?!?!?:love
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

LOL! I love it! Ya, where did you get the helmet Dave? I think Lady Erin would love to get her hands on it! :D
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Yes, yes I would.:love So would a 'friend';) of mine who is working with me to make a magneto costume.
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

The helmet was just released from Marvel as part of the prop series they've been producing--Thor's hammer, Cap's shield, Iron Man's helmet, etc. It runs about $175, and is really very nice, with foam interior padding.

And btw, that wasn't me in the helmet, it was Paty. :LOL

--Atilla's Hunny
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Thanks Dave!

Lady Erin runs off to find the helmet, and try to come up with the money:bamf

:peek Btw, I bet Paty loves it.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Dark Bamf

And btw, that wasn't me in the helmet, it was Paty. :LOL

lol! I was going to ask you if that was Paty, Dave. I kinda figured it with all the Mags stuff in the background. lol...I love it! Way to go Paty! :D
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
thnkew, thenkew, my devoted acolytes...uh...friends...LOL

Yeah... it was me. The helmet...which I actually hate ON Mags, cuz it hides his gorgeous visage... is a real work of art. If I rode motercycles, it would be just the thing to wear!!!
I have never ridden a motercycle in my life and have no intention of doing so in the near future...but don't put it past me to wear it when I get my horse...Lessee.. I need red jodphurs, a red blouse and a purple cape...um...
Lookit, I rode around the Maryland countryside when I was a teen dressed as Zorrro... so a half a century later I have graduated from basic black to red and purple...not a bad segue, if you ask me. boo and Dave might be embarassed, but I have experience... I won't be...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

All Hail Lord Magneto...Ummm....I mean All Hail Lady Paty. :p

I want to see a picture of that when you finish it. Don't forget the purple gloves and boots.

And hey, if I could, I would join you. BTW, where is that hemlet sold? Because I looked on the Marvel Store Site and I couldn't find it.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

It was probably in Previews a month or two ago, cuz our Comic shop just got it in...didn't even have it on the counter for more than an hour before it went out as fast as it came in!LOL
Check with your comic shop and see if it can still be ordered. I am sure they ordered it on "spec" knowing full well they had a rabid Magophile on their hands! LOL...When I accused them of pandering to a "sure sale" they just grinned big, wal to wall grins three feet wide, foot and a half high!

Hmmmmm...do I detect a pattern here?
I haven't looked at this month's previews yet.. I am afraid to!
LOL
Dave still has it...and that's a dangerous thing in and of itself...
sigh...
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

They know you so well, Paty! Seriously, though, it looks awesome. I just have this mental image of you commanding Pinkletoes to do your bidding... "Go forth! Lord Magneto demands it!"
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

That thing is SO cool. It looks surprisingly comfy too. All they need now is a replica of Cyke's visor and Logan's claws and.......oh wait.....

..nevermind...
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

But, Gaz, can you wear the visor? And if so, can you see out of it?
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

I dunno, looks kinda heavy. What would be cool would be if it was like a little virtual reality set that made it look like you were shooting out blasts. Or, if you really were. That would be neato too.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
PirateKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

WOW! You're BACK!

Post by PirateKurt »

:D
It's so good to see ya posting again Dave! I just got back from SC, (Dad is doing ok, Chemo is doing well. but we have to pause to let the Shunt in the heart they had to put in heal or something) I make props too! well, star wars props motly. Neat helmt:)
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Absolutely neat helmet ... and comfy, too!!! it is all padded inside and only lacks a chinstrap to hold it on in battle! Which Mags never had, of course... I ...being a firebroad and wearing helmets at fire and emergency scenes... one time ia helmet actually kept me from being killed or seriously injured... always thought that that was a terrible oversight of his...no chinstrap, that is. After a while, they always used to get it offa him and beat him soundly about the unprotected head and shoulders! Why he never put a chinstrap on it is probably because none of the writers, artists or editors ever did a stint as an emergency response person at a dangerous fire scene! They would have KNOWN better! Hats and helmets get knocked off easily without them... so you really need chinstrraps.
I actually didn't mind... I loved it when the helmet came off and we could see his gorgeous face and that wild shock of white hair!!!! I LOVE WHITE HAIR!!!
It just makes me sit up and take notice... it always has! I used to want white hair myself... I had this white horse when I was growing up and would back her up to my grandmother's windows...wherein one could see one's reflection... and stand there with the horse's tail draped over my head, pretending to have long white hair...LOL... the horse would always look around at me with a "What the hell is my crazy human doing now???" look and whenever my grandmother would catch me doing that, she would drag me inside and make me wash my thed... the underside of a horsetail not being the cleanest or nicest smelling thing in creation...LOL Which, of course, I didn't mind...but apparently SHE did...LOL
In any event, white hair has been a thing of beauty for me, second only to pointed ears! I always wanted them, too... never had the money for plastic surgery...sigh.. too late now, I guess...I 'specks I'se too old...sigh...

With Mags, I prefer him without the helmet... but I gotta admit this particular thingie is beautiful! I may place votive candles in front of it...

Cyke's visor, I am told , has a red light that shines out of it and you CAN indeed wear it and shoot red light out of it. I have not seen one or tried it but this is what I am told, by, I believe, the comic store owner where I got my helmet. This week, he had a full sized mannikin of Spider Man... a Blockbuster prop, I believe he said... but it was gorgeous!
We have, apparently, an active fandom here inSC...and especially in Anderson! Mike said that he had three orders for the spidey full figure from his shop alone when Marvel said it was gonna put one out. The damn things cost three thou each... and according to him the only orders they got for one was from his shop... so they cancelled the project. He found this one on Ebay and it was apparently a prop for the movies ... from Blockbuster! In any event it is a fine piece.

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Hmmmm...we seem to have a bit of a problem here at Nightscrawlers. You know, security like a sieve...
As you all know, and I make no bones about it, I am a computer dumbell. No... really I am! I have friends who watch my backand keep me online through thick and thin and personal attacks from children who have too much computer time on their hands and not enough woodchopping to fill the firebox so Ma can cook breadfast.
be that as it may, and hackers aside...cuz we know these little vermin are like lice...easy to get, hard to get rid of...
I was under the impression that things posted here couldn't be removed to other sites without permission.
So a friend who peruses the message boards...of which there are too many for me to even think about, much less visit... alerted me last night to the fact that the pix of me and Mags' helmet had made their way to a Board where they were being used to ridicule me and Dave. Dave may care... but I don't. I don't embarass... at all! To the disgust of many and the dispair of a few...LOL
I also hear that the pix have made their way over to MillarWorld where one poster is using one of them as his AVATAR!!!
FAME AT LAST!!!! lol...So where's the big bucks!?! Alas, none in sight...oh, well...sigh...
Ostensibly this person is using me cuz he thinks my posts here are a hoot... and sometimes even interesting. I guess that is an homage of sorts... but he could have ASKED if I minded himusing my image as his avatar. After all, I belong to me...and it is courteous to ask to use another person's body/visage/image before doing so. In fact, how did these pix get off this site without permission? Who took em?

Not that I really care, you understand... but it seems we do have a security problem here... cuz this is, to my knowledge, the only place Dave posted them.. so here is where they had to have been got.
Now, considering that Nightscrawlers was used as a conduit for someone to attack me and my computer...for details of which, see the Virus Alert thread...this little piece of piracy bodes ill for anyone who wants to post anything here... art or otherwise...and thinks it will be confined to this site.
Now, as I said before, I don't care, personally. My correspondant was upset because the people who had the pix over on John Byrne's site were using them to bash me and Dave. My correspondant was more mollified by the avatar user since he explained it was because he thought my posts here were interesting and noteworthy. This from someone in the solidly Morrison camp of Millarworld! I'm honored...I guess. It would still have been polite to ask... it isn't as if my email addy is a big secret... magnetorammpant@yahoo.com !
LOL...the things some people will do...

I have fun with comics. It's the only thing to do, you know... if you can't have fun with your fantasy world, why bother at all? I can talk serious professional considerations in one paragraph and drool over Magneto without his shirt in the next...there's no conflict there. I know fantasy from reality...but fantasy can enrich a real life just as real life can give more validity to fantasy. And all of this is what makes comics alive and viable.
We used to chuckle and roll our eyes in the Marvel offices at the dedication of the "Doctor Doom Lady" who worshipped Doomsie and bombarded the offices with letters... the internet didn't exist then, so youhad to do snailmail... about Doom. she was as loyal to him as I am to Mags!...well...maybe she was as loyal...I am damn straight loyalto the Claremont Magneto! I will not digress into volumes about this character... I have done that repeatedly elsewhere...everyone knows where I stand...LOL...We still roll our eyes at the devotion and dedicartion of the "UnderDog Lady" who haunts NYC conventions in constantly new and updated costumes of Underdog! She has whole presentations on recordings for when she appears in the costume parades... and she is deadly serious about this character! Underdog! I mean... at least Mags is a beefcake! slobber......
Underdog brings to mind scenes of cartoon beastiality...oog...LOLOLOL
But... as the old saying goes... "to each his own , said the old lady, as she kissed the cow..." I'm not sure about the visuals on that metaphor, either...LOL...
We all have our views of this wonderful fantasy world we inhabit...more or less...
Some of us can dress up with complete aplomb and dash merrily around the countryside making glorious fools of ourselves without batting an eye. I, quite frankly, am one of those. I love it! I am not ashamed of my love for and interest in this medium. It is cool to dream of superheroes... we need more superheroes in our lives! I was a firefighter for sixteen years before the eyes gave out...and that, let me tell you, is as close to being a superhero as the average person can ger...without getting shot at! Except in NYC...those poor firemen get shot at by druggies proteting their goddam crack palaces or arson scams! sorry... small digression there...
But others cannot flaunt their joy at the comics in such a bold manner. They think that the opinions of others...whom they might even not even KNOW... matter! Emabarassment might just ensue if they dare to laugh out loud and jump up and down in glee...or dismay.
The superheroes of this, our chosen genre, matter. They are important in our lives. They give us icons to aspire to... ideals to believe in and goals that are worth striving for. This is a rich mecium for fetrtile imaginations... and no one has the right to tear it down or make fun of it or anyone who enjoys it in all it's wondrous diversity. One can cavil about the quality of art or writing or inking or coloring...but one cannot underestimate the strength of the emotions generated by this medium.
Where am I going with this? The theft of the pix of Magneto Me...LOL doesn't bother me. It might bother others... and make them more cautious about sharing their joys and sorrows regarding the comics medium. People who aren't as solidly sure of their own personality and psyche as I am might be intimidated and refuse to share themselves because of this lack of security...I dunno...Some people need the security of a "closed set" so to speak... to bust out and enjoy something.
I don't... but then I am a dottoy old broad who knows no fear...BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA
But I am also a protector of the meek and timid.
So get your security act together, people ...or you may find you have no one willing to trust the site. And that would be a shame...and a victory for the forces that want to shut down free speech and the exchange of ideas!

paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

I don't know much more about computers then you, Paty, but I don't think there is anyway to keep people from uploading pics to other pages...or if there IS a way I have no idea how it works :dead, but I think I would take it as a compliment that they found you enough of a threat to belittle you :p Fanboys are a breed all thier own :LOL thankfully I'm another species. I think you make a dashing Mags myself :LOL

I have regully made a complete fool of myself in front of Gods-only-know how many folks with my enthuthiastic appreciation of Nightcrawlers yummy blue self, and will continue doing so *Insert very loud raspberry here* Freedom of speech and the right to make complete fools of ourselves or simply proclaim our joy and appreciation of something should never be taken lightly or dismissed as trivial. People are waaaaaaay too serious about something that should be a light form of escapism:Comic Books....Lighten up every one!!!!!
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOLOL... amen to that, Panz. I am no newcomer to controversy and it rolls off my back like water off a duck! I even enjoy aggravating certain people on occasion...LOL Especially the uptite ones...LOL

My correspondent was agitated until I explained that I didn't care one whit about it. Apparently it all came about because of an editorial decision I made on the Tribute book.

People who truely love Dave were coming outta the woodwork to contribute art and prose to the book when Cliff announced he was making a giant get well message in book form. He tounght it would only be a couple of folks that Dave worked with...then KRAKADOOM!!! the skies opened up and it started raining and pouring creators that were calling and emailing saying "Can I do something for the book , Too???" It went from a modest publication of a planned twenty four pages to close to a hundred! The mind boggles... and as people sent stuff, Cliff would call Dave and tell him "Guess who sent art...or text... today!!!" He was so down in the dumps with his health, Cliff and I made the decision to tellhim about it in an effort to raise his spirits. And, when Cliff first started it, we weren't sure if Dave would live to see it! I swear, the outpouring of love and such helped Dave to get better more than the Docs did! There is something to be said for the healing feeling of being loved by people you don't even know!!!
Anyway, we were coming down to the line with deadlines... Cliff had extended it a couple of times and couldn't do so any longer and stillmake any pretense of making his shipping deadline .. which was June! So here he sits with original art sent and suddenly I get a call fromCliff that John Byrne had sent a xerox of a collosus... should he try to find a spot for it.?
Now, in the past John had treated Dave, at conventions, with distain if not outright rudeness... coming over and standing in front of the table where Dave was signing autographs and doing drawings for fans...not saying a word and just standing there doing the famous Byrne STARE..most prominently exhibited in the courtroom during the copyright trial involving Blade where, I understand, he was actually warned by the judge to "stop it!" Anyway, the "STARE"...which many can atest to... until finally Dave would look up and say"hello, John..." at which Byrne would never say a word...but walk off with his nose inthe air and a smirky smile on his face as if to say..."I don't have to sit there signing autographs and doing drawings!" Not understanding that while yes, it did suppliment our income...but Dave ENJOYED talking and interacting with the fans! It was part of the FUN!!!
This happened more times than I can ennumerate and both Dave an I were kinda put off by this snide but subtle form of rudness. When someone acknowledges your presence, civilly, it is polite to say "hello, Dave..." back. NEVER ONCE! Just the smirk and the strut away. Well... GAWD doesn't have to recognize mere mortals, does he? And Byrne KNOWS he is GAWD!

Anyway... even with the rudness of decades making me look askance at it, I was willing to let Byrne be a part of the book..who knew? maybe he actually liked Dave in spite of his behavior...I mean, he was arrogant and rude to his fans...why not his peers? So I told Cliff...sure... go ahead and find a spot if you can. The book at the time was deep into production with new stuff coming every day and night! having to be rearranged daily! LOL... then a day or so later, a correspondent who monitors Byrne's private website...where you can only talk about Byrne...and only in gloeing terms if you don't want him to ban you! But it is HIS site and he can act as childish as he wants to, I guess... Anyway, my correspondent quoted me from a thread that was there. A member of the list had asked JB if he was gonna contribute to the book cuz this member had heard that literally EVERYONE was dying to contribute! JB said a grudging "yes" another fan asked if he would do collosus...and he said that was his intent...a bit more discussion followed with the upshot of the fans saying they loved Dave's work and he had contributed so much to the industry etc...which musta irked Byrne mightily since the rule is talk about Byrne only. So finally one fan posted a page of Cockrum pencils he had acquired with the reason ostensibly being that on the page was Kitty Pryde...a character that Byrne created. It is a beautiful piece, typical Dave tight and illustrative pencils of Kitty and two of the Imperial guard ladies bouncing around. How this person got what should have been inked pages is beyond me...but anyway...this was a lovely page. I went there and peeked in on it to verify what my correspondent told me. The fans were waxing estatic about it. Byrne's comment:
"Those are VERY tight pencils for Dave. One of the things that struck me, the first time I saw his pencils, was how many lines he put down. I called it the 1000 Lines Approach -- "If I put 1000 lines here, one of them will be in the right place." It makes for some really beautiful, illustrative pages, let me tell you, but they must have been a bear to ink!"
That's a direct word for word quote. Two insults to a compliment..typical Byrne behavior. which told me one thing. Byrne was getting in at the last minute to mollify his fans and to be included in a great book with the greats of the industry!
And guess what...he hit my PISS-LEVEL! I am a patient soul, who cuts people a great deal of slack... and that walking talking rectum more than he ever deserved...I even saved him from a beating once...even though he didn't know it... but that piece of backhanded snide coment took the cake. This from a so called artist whose pencils look like a glorified coloring book and always have! He was the only artist whose work I complained about directly to Stan because i couldn't find any art worthy of going into the merchandising files.
I called Cliff and told him that under no conditions was the Byrne piece to sully real affection and respect with his hypocrasy! Cliff asked why I had changed my mind, and I told him of the thread and the quote. He said, with a grin you could hear over the phone, "You're the boss, Paty! You're gonna fet flack from this, y'know." I told him let the flack fly.. I would tell the world why I made the decision I did.
When the book came out, and the Byrne piece wasn't in it, the Byrne boys wanted to know why and called the offices. The production manager said it was an Editorial decision made by Paty Cockrum... which it was. I told Cliff about the brouhaha and he asked me for a statement to release...which I am not sure has been posted yet anywhere...but my correspondent said the Byrne board is up in arms and snarling and snapping and denying that Byrne ever made that remark...but i assure you that he did and it, alone , was why he was not included in the book. Just the final straw of distain and disrespect for someone whose art is so far superior to his that it boggles the mind. I say that NOT as Dave's wife, but as an art professional and teacher. I knew and was impressed by Dave's art before I ever met him!I have never been impressed by Byrne's...with the possible exception of the Captain America work he did with Sterno.
So that is probably why the photos were swiped from the site...to give the little guys something to ridicule. Too bad they don't understand what fun is... fun is getting dressed up like a superhero and enjoying it...no matter what your age! LOL

Cat says the Nightscrawlers site should and could be secured from this kind of theft. Think about it... anyone who puts their art here can have it swiped. She says that shouldn't be...there should be a lock on downloading so that permission would have to be gotten to download anything from the site. .. especially art or photos! One could "quote" from the site, but permission should be gotten to download.

As I said... it doesn't matter tome. It might matter to others who have contributed art that is theirs, though. In my gallery there are characters i designed...haven't used them yet, but what is to keep someone from swiping them and claiming them as their own? the ones I have used are copyrighted... but some of them aren't. And some of them I am thinking about doing something with! should I remove them? I don't think I care any more...but some young people might with characters or art of their own.

Y'know, when we were doing comics, we didn't have to worry about this kind of craziness... we had fun, we did our thing... we read and sometimes responded to fan mail...no humongous e pressure or fan cliques. I am not sure I like this aspect of the internet. It makes forums like this one, for comaradarie and the exchange of ideas possible...but it can be abused, too.
And that is sad.
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
the4thpip
Lubber
Lubber

Post by the4thpip »

You go Paty!

I bought the book all the way over here in Germany (Ach! I was the only one at my "shop" who ordered it it seems). I really love it and it brought a tear to my eye more than once. :)
Ach! Liebchen!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Yes, it's a lovely book, isn't it? so many talented artists and writers pouring out their love for dave. Cliff said he can only think of one or two other people who woould generate such an outpouring. Dave was sooo thrilled by it... he simply couldn't believe all these people... some of them people he had never even heard of or met!!! It bouyed his spirits sooo much to know that so many of his peers cared! He loves his fans to little pieces, but there is something about your peers in the industry saying the things that that book had to say!
It is just amazing to both of us! And we are sooo grateful to all who contributed and to all who sent good wishes and cards and things... it sure helped Dave to recover!

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, everyone!!!
Huggies
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

dave's pencils on the JB board

Post by mt_rambler »

Paty,
I just want to clear something up about your statement above. I was the "fan" who posted the Cockrum page you mentioned above and NO I did not post it because it contains one of JB's creations. I posted it to let others see what a great artist Dave was and STILL is. I read John's response when it was originally posted and did not take it as an instult but an observation (my opinion). Nothing more. And to how this page was never inked, the person I bought it from mentioned the penciled page had been lost (possibly at Marvel) and the inker had to use a xerox to ink over. The page was later found and returned after the issue was published. I charish this page since I have rarely come across any of Dave's penciled pages, especially one showcasing such detail.

Be seeing you,
Brian
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

:mags:
Hi, Brian... I knew you posted it to talk about Dave...LOL... I also know that on byrne's board, you aren't suppose to talk about anybody BUT Byrne...and all things Byrne...right? so the only way to post it, and it was obvious that you were tickled with it...LOL... was to say that it featured KITTY PRYDE... A byrne creation... which fulfilled the highly restrictive rules set down for participation in the forum... Very astute, by the way...LOL... Byrne couldn't challenge that reasoning, could he? And he couldn't toss you off the board as he has done to others. for mentioning theings "not Byrne".
Yeah... that's the only way you could have gotten pencils... cuz most of his stuff is inked... and the lovely pencils, works of art themselves, are erased and lost.
We used to have a huge file of Dave's pencilled Xeroxes...which he took before he sent stuff toMarvel... and Marveltook as soon as the pages came in and filed incase of loss. It was one of those xeroxes that had to be inked on vellum overlay, I guess, when the page went missing.
but when we had a flood in the basement, we lost them all...sigh... You should have seen the lovely pencils Dave did when they adapted the first Star Trek movie! Dave loved Star trek and put such work into them... then they put the wrong inker on it and all the lovely subtlty and wonderful portraiture got lost in a very stylistic ink job. Certain inkers should never be put on certain pencillers... but some editors just couldn't see that...sigh.

there are very few pages of Dave's pencils around... so you have a prize, there. Dave just got back from Marvel the pages he pencilled for two different stories that were never used. He is not sure what he is going to do with them..LOL... but he may sell one book whole... as is. there are pages in the other that he likes and wants to keep... but he still hasn't made up his mind about it yet.
In any event Cockrum pencils, beautiful as they are, are rare! So you DO have a prize!

I took offense to Byrne's statement cuz I KNOW Byrne. He takes pot shots at other creators in such a way that he can stand back and say "Who me?" innocently when called on it. He has done this ever since I have known him. It was annoying at first... He used to piss people off every time he walked in the door at Marvel. He finally drove one staffer at Marvel to want to physically attack him. I pulled the staffer into my office and made him sit there until Byrne had left the offices. Byrne wasn't worth the staffer's getting into trouble on a assult and battery or justifiable homicide charge! Perhaps I shouldn't have. Perhaps if I had let the staffer beat some manners into Byrne, he wouldn't have continued to do things that have gotten him lambasted over the years in Peter David's CBG column as well as elsewhere. I hear he recently pissed Mark Waid off so seriously that Waid finally spoke out. Byrne has been getting away with snide remarks and downright lies about some creators for decades... and I had just had enough! that's all. I am patient to a fault... but I know hypocrasy when I hear it or read it... and I don't like it and will not abide it when aimed at one of the gentlest, nicest men in the comics biz today. I would do the same if Byrne said anything even remotely shaded about John Romita Sr...too... so he better not try it. You wanna go back to the JB board and tell him I said so, go right ahead. Byrne knows me from the old days... and if he says, as I have been told he has said to fans... "Paty Cockrum likes me..." he is mistaken or lying outright... as is his wont. I tolerate him... or have, in the past. I will do so no longer. I am fed up to here with Mr Byrne. He makes his own little reality and lives in it and believes his own delusions. And I personally don't care if that makes him feel secure and all warm and cuddly. But when he makes snipes at others... when he outright lies about other creators.... like Chris claremont, who he so wildly jealous of that he looks like Schrek.. as he has been called on the carpet by the likes of Peter David... a damn fine writer, and one who cuts no slack to posers...I put my feisty old foot down.
Byrne makes outrageous statements and someone with knowledge comes in and shoots him outta the water and he backs off, waits a couple of years and gets a new coterie of fans in and then tells them the same outrageous things over again... and they, not knowing any better... BELIEVE him!
Byrne obviously subscribes to the old tenet that if you say something enough times... it will be real! Sorry, John... not while there are people out here who know what is true and real and who will step up to refute YOUR version of the "truth".
Truth is a weird thing... I worship it. It always got me into trouble . No one wants to hear it. People want to believe what they want to believe... not what IS. What IS is sometimes uncomfortable. and sometimes it is downright dangerous. I love the truth... it is exciting and clarifying... and it is the only thing you will get from ME! And I don't care who doesn't like it. But you can bank on it being the truth.

byrne may say that the whole thing is just another "Byrne Bashing" thing... a I believe he calls it... and he bemoans that there are soooo MANY Byrne Bashing stories out there... and my only thought, as an ex volunteer fireman of sixteen years, is "Where there's so much smoke... gee!
there's gotta be a fire there somewhere!!!"Maybe there's a REASON for the byrne bashing, John...

thanks for coming over and peeking in, Brian... this is a wonderfulboard where we discuss all things comic...and some not cso comic LOL don't go away... join us... we have fun here! and here in Cockrum corner you'll find out what Paty cockrum knows is TRUE! wanna talk to me privately, my addy is : magnetorampant@yahoo.com I'll set you straight, sweetie...
LOL

Paty
:mags:
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020