Dave Cockrum original artwork in my collection

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Hello. I decided to join this li'l group because Nightcrawler is one of my all-time favorite X-Men, and Dave Cockrum is one of my favorite artists.

I remember in the mid-1980s, it seemed like everyone was a huge Wolverine fan. Myself, yeah, I thought Logan was okay cool. But the guy who always stood out in my mind was the fuzzy elf himself, Nightcrawler. I loved his cool appearance and his swashbuckling persona.

As for Dave Cockrum, I really enjoy his work. While I have never been a big fan of the Legion of Superheroes or the X-Men, I have always thought Dave Cockrum's art was absolutely fantastic. He has an incredible design sense, and has created some very memorable characters. It's been a tremendous shame that he has recieved such a paucity of work since the mid-1980s. I first began following Soulsearchers & Company, from Clayppol Comics, for Cockrum's artwork. It was a thrill to see him working on a regular series again.

Anyway, I put together a little gallery that displays my modest collection of artwork by Dave Cockrum. Here's a link...

http://ljamal.com/?ID=1063

I hope everyone enjoys it. And, yeah, I know, there's nothing with Nightcrawler. Maybe one of these days, if I save up some money :D

Anyone else have any original art by Dave Cockrum that they would like to share?
MarcFl74
Lubber
Lubber

Post by MarcFl74 »

You can see my fantastic Wolverine
commission from Dave on the Davecockrum.net site, it's towards teh bottom, and has an inscription on it.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

And, yeah, I know, there's nothing with Nightcrawler. Maybe one of these days, if I save up some money.

Ah, crap! I've seen some Nighty Cockrum art on ebay a few times. It went for a few hundred. Didn't have the money at the time for it. :(

But do get some Nighty and X-Men Cockrum art going. That would be great! :D
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

I just obtained a page of original art from a Justice League annual that Dave Cockrum pencilled in 1992. I posted a scan of it at the aforementioned site...

http://ljamal.com/?ID=1063

As always, enjoy.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

I've got two Cockrum Nightcrawler pages posted here, and i just got another in the mail that needs to be scanned. There's also some great work by some other artists also.

Dave or Paty, if you come across any N.C. pages or color art i'd love to buy it. while i'm only a college student, i can scrap togther the cash for the Dave Cockrum. plasma center here i come :D

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1913
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Very cool, thanks for sharing your collections, folks! My hubby was supposed to get me a commission of Nighty for my birthday last year, but various issues conspired against that plan. Someday, I swear I'll get one!
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

Whoops, seems i forgot to put the site address (which has now been edited, but here it is again) :p

BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Entropy
Whoops, seems i forgot to put the site address (which has now been edited, but here it is again) :p

Great stuff. The two pages from the Nightcrawler miniseries are very cool. I also like the commission by Netzer & Rubinstein. Congrats on the acquisitions.

I re-posted my li'l collection of Dave Cockrum art on the Comic Art Fans website a few months back. Here's a link...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2441

Ben H.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

Ben,
Very Nice!
The Soulsearchers piece and the centaur of the black lagoon are probably my two favorite Cockrum pieces in your collection.

You've got some great sketches in there, from the Finnigan Sinister to some really cool star wars pieces. Do you know if Dave did any Star Wars work?

Also, you're on the comicart L, right?

Slarti,
Thanks! You should go for the commission! They are so cool, and are really cool when hanging on your wall (and can spark some interesting conversations).

BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Entropy
The Soulsearchers piece and the centaur of the black lagoon are probably my two favorite Cockrum pieces in your collection.

You've got some great sketches in there, from the Finnigan Sinister to some really cool star wars pieces. Do you know if Dave did any Star Wars work?

Also, you're on the comicart L, right?
Thanks for the compliments. Yep, I'm on Comicart-L.

As I recall, Dave Cockrum did at least a couple of covers for the Marvel Star Wars series. I found a scan of one of them at the Mile High Comics website...

http://tinyurl.com/baspe

Oh, yes, Paty did some coloring on the original Marvel adaptation.

Ben H.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

Very cool!
Thanks for the info.
I know that Paty also did some of the color art (if not all) for the N.C. limited series (i find it odd that they just put her first name in the credits). I think it would be awesome to have framed picture with Dave's page and Paty's color page.