pass the salt, please...

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

pass the salt, please...

Post by Panz »

As reported this morning on LitG...

MARVEL LEGENDS

Look forward to a bunch of old school and very-old-school creators coming to Marvel. Apparently the company are currently burrowing through contractual problems and conjectural problems at the company - remember that comment Joe Quesada once made about Dave Cockrum's art being the kind that the company weren't currently interested in? Consider a 180-degree reversion of that, and a bunch of very familiar comics names (if you're over thirty) making a comeback...

...I wonder if Mr. Q wants some salt with those words he rather hastily uttered some time ago?

...it would be nice to see Dave get some top paying work again.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

pass the salt, please...

Post by Northstars Love »

I'd love to see Dave get some work with Marvel. But would Dave really accept an offer from Marvel? There still might be some bitter feelings despite Marvel helping Dave out in his current circumstances.
Indigo
Lubber
Lubber

pass the salt, please...

Post by Indigo »

Wow. Really?

I thought we'd have to wait until a post-Quesada administration before some old school talent would get some respect by Marvel.

I hope when Dave is feeling better, he gets at least a request to do something for them. Whether he accepts or not is another question.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

pass the salt, please...

Post by Paty »

:mags:
Hmmmm...I am not sure we can lay this one at Joey the Q's door. He may be gritting his teeth at some of the dictums that have come down from on high.
One of the things we have heard is that the movie people...and by that, I am guessing Avi Arad... blew their stack about the horror of Planet X and the follow up not to mention the moral destruction of characters like Scott and his relationship with Jean Grey. the books had made the characters so UN merchandisable that millions in merchandise cvontracts were being lost!!! So the upstairs money guys have decreed a return to the "old wave" ...or the eighties style...which was Marvel's most profitable time. Spandex rules!!! Yay!
Magneto fans set up a cheer, cuz Mags was wildly popular during the eighties due to Claremont's depiction of him as a complex adversary rather than an eeeeevil bad guy...which is a total waste of that particular character!
We don't know yet if Marvel will be smart enough to let Claremont rebuild their X Empire or not. They keep wanting to mess with him ...and that is the stupidest thing they could do. The other stupid thing would be to allow Byrne back into the fold. He destroys characters almost as badly as Morrison does...to his own gratification. I mean...it is well known that Byrne's attitude is that if HE hasn't DONE a character it doesn't exist! ...and never has...! Witness his "remake" of Superman...PTUI!
Now, Byrne's unfeeling coments to Quesada on the death of Joe's mother has earned, I am sure, Byrne a personna non gratis stature at Marvel for the sheer crassness of his attitude to wards a bereaved Joe... and RIGHTLY SO!
but the powers that be may overlook that and order Joe to bring byrne back because he was a big contributor in the eighties. so we shall see if this happens. Which i hope, for Maarvel's sake as well as Magneto's that it will NOT! byrne hates Magneto almost as much as Hardass did and Morrison obviously did. and his return would bode a huge amount of evil for Marvel.
I would love to see Chris and Dave team up on a special project or something...cuz I don't know if Dave is up to a series. He was always late when he was younger and in better health. A monthly series would probably kill him! But a miniseries that would not be published until all the issues were in the drawer??? I bet he would love that. and the fans would benefit from having a couple of real storytellers working together again!...like Claremont and Davis on Uncanny!!!!! which has me really excited!
Maybe IF a whole bunch of vocal fans sent tons of letters demanding Cockrum/Claremont teamup again the powers that be might consider it. hint...hint...nudge nudge...wink...wink... yaknowhatImean?...yaknowwhatImean?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

pass the salt, please...

Post by Panz »

First of all, I'm terribly sorry about Joe's mom. I lost mine too and can utterly empathize :(

I would hope that Marvel would have learned the lesson that Chris has the magic touch. If they would just get out of his way and let him weave the storyteller magic, all of the dis-illusioned un-marketable dystopic schlok will go bye-bye. I understand that Morrison was writing in a style, and was making writerly comments on society and the corruptive nature of power and such. But it is at odds with the un-going marketability of the movieverse and , while interesting as a statement, was vastly upsetting and at odds with the rest of accepted X-Canon.

If the New X-Men had been put out as a what if?... or an alternate reality X title, then it would have been ok and even very cool at times, imho, but it doesn't mesh with the rest of X reality at all.

Chris has spoken highly about Dave and I , as a poor pestered Claremont already knows, would LOVE to see a project with CC and Dave! That would be so hot! Chris has even said he'd like to work with Dave again a few million posts ago on ComiX-Fan.

And yeah, Uncanny has got me all in a flutter as does the new Excalibur :love while I love most of the old characters, it will be mega-terrific to see Chris come up with more all-new characters again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mags wasn't even really there(NYC), but is patching up from his last moments on Genosha...and that "thing" in Planet-X was a deranged clone or something

I mean...he HAS to come back...he's in the movie! Kinda hard to hype a dead guy.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

pass the salt, please...

Post by Paty »

Yeah...and Colossus, too! How can they have killed him in the books...and so ridiculously, too... and have him armoring up in the Movie?!? Sheesh!
See? I can consider something besides Mags...It's hard...but I CAN do it!
LOLOL
We can only wait and see what chris will do with what they allow him do do. He's gotta bring Mags back and Phoenis/Jean too...these characters are too important to the mythos to disappear forever...or even for a hundred and fifty years!!! Stupid Morrison...he wanted to ruin it all, didn't he? such blatant hate and dirision should not be allowed to stand or to influence ANY storylines...it should be retconned outta existance as soon as possible!!! if you give it any kind of validity you will have todeal with a monster of Morrison's deranged making...and no one should have to deal with that much shit! Not even Hercules! The Augean Stables would seem like a simple pooperscooper deal compared with the crapola of Morrison's run! Claremont is NOT a stable boy! He is a goom...posishing the sleek characters for their runs in the spotlight!..keeping them healthy and happy and strong for their mad dashes across the pages of the books! He is the premiere caretaker of the Marvel X stable...and the administration should wake up and understand that basic fact! Especially if they want to prosper.
It is amazing to me that the higher an administrative type climbs, the stupider they seem to act. Maybe it is the rarified air up there in the clouds..maybe it is just pure stupidity of the breed. Creative people stay down in the nitty gritty kitchen, cooking up delights to warp the mind and whet the appitite for more!
Ah well...as we have seen for the past ten or more years, intelligent administrative policy is not something we can expect from Marvel!!! I am not going to hold my breath wishing for some form of sanity here...I can only hope Claremont will turn it around...and that they will let him. and that Morrison will drop dead of a nasty wasting disease...and learn what destruction really feels like...up close and personal!
I know...I know... I am a nasty witch for wishing that...but I firmly believe what goes around, comes around and Morrison will wreak the karma of Planet X and his own vileness in good time. Meanwhile, may he get everything he deserves!
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto