The return of the Futurians

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

This was a pleasant surprise. I was at Midtown Comics last week. Among the independent titles, I was surprised to see issue three of a miniseries entitled Avatar of the Futurians. Yes, that's right, as Dave Cockrum's Futurians. It was written & penciled by a gent named David Miller. I had no idea that there had been any plans to revive the characters. After
Dave passed away, I had resigned myself to the fact that a series that had so much potential would remain unfulfilled. I lamented the fact that various circumstances had conspired to prevent Cockrum from being able to do an ongoing series.

So I was quite thrilled that someone, with the permission of Paty Cockrum, was having a go at bringing back the Futurians. I was a bit perturbed that I had missed the first two issues, but luckily Midtown had them in their back issue bins.

Even better, Joe Rubinstein came on board as the inker with issue #2. Joe is a great embellisher, plus he inked Cockrum in the past, so that was a really appropriate choice. Also, Greg LaRocque and Michael Netzer drew great covers for the first two issues.

There's a website with information on the miniseries....

http://www.futurians-avatar.com

Well, I thought this was cool. Hopefully there will be further
Futurians-related material down the line. And I'd love to see the original stories get reprinted in a new trade paperback. Cross your fingers!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I love Midtown Comics, such a great comic store.

I'm glad to see/hear that Futurians made some kind of return... thought I thought it was awhile ago.... even earlier than just 2 issues...
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
PirateKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Re: The return of the Futurians

Post by PirateKurt »

There is an unpublished Futurians story by Dave Cockrum, I helped finish the last 2 pages, I worked from Dave's thumbnails, cliff has the full 22 page story, Paty did one page too, I don't know if/when it is to be published, But I do know Cliff has the pages, and the pages Dave did are awesome. It was actually my first comissioned comic work, I had to filk Dave's style, with Mosquito and the new characters, especially Blackmane whom Dave saw as one of his alter-ego's. But it was a lot of fun to draw, I hope it sees print one day:)