Birds of Prey thread

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Aquaman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, the Flash, and more!
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Dark Bamf »

Let's hope this works this time. I originally started this thread last night after 'Birds of Prey' aired, but I dropped offline and my computer froze up. I had to unplug it, and lost everything.

Second try: I had mixed feelings about BoP. I liked the New Gotham setup (I'm guessing that 'New Gotham' was built after the earthquake that set up the 'No Man's Land' story ark. Paty and I stopped reading Batman-related books during that period); it's a dark and brooding city, and they leave the door open for plenty of 'meta-human' (DC's word for superpowered beings) villains to turn up.

They explain what became of Batman; he chucked it all after the Joker had Catwoman murdered and he shot Barbara Gordon, putting her in a wheelchair for life. Personally, I think this is one of the weaker backstory elements--who believes that Batman would abandon Gotham?

I really liked the actress who played Barbara Gordon. She felt right. Great red hair. And she looked absolutely dynamite in the Batgirl costume, for the few short scenes we got to see her in it.

Helena/Huntress, daughter of Batman and Catwoman, blames her dad for her mom's death and wants nothing to do with the Wayne wealth. However, Wayne funds the technology that Oracle uses, and Alfred stops by occasionally to restock Babs's refrigerator.

Huntress appears to have some powers she doesn't have in the comics. Her eyes change from human pupils to catlike ones, and she almost seems like she can fly, or make superhuman leaps. There's no sign of the gadgetry her dad used to do the same thing. She doesn't really wear a costume either, not even a mask.

Dinah Lance isn't Black Canary yet (and maybe never will be--I noticed that Huntress wore the Black Canary necklace that Dinah always wore in the comics). She's a young girl, a homeless runaway, whose psychic powers led her to Oracle and Huntress. She has no combat skills, no training, and Oracle promptly sends her out to investigate the old Gotham docks, where god knows what might lurk. Fortunately, nothing was lurking, but Dinah's got a long way to go before she's Black Canary.

I wasn't wildly impressed by this first episode's plot, but I enjoyed it otherwise. I'm willing to give it a chance. At least I got it on tape, which I was never smart enough to do with Smallville.

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Garble »

I'm not as familiar with the Batman mythos as I am with X-Men, but I'm a huge fan of the animated series, and I've been reading JLA, Batman, and Detective for the last 5 years...

I'd never read anywhere in the comics that Huntress was Catwoman and Batman's daughter, and she certainly never had superpowers. So I don't know exactly how close she is to the original. I like her in the show, but I think it's lame that she has superpowers, when neither of her parents did. With the cat-thing I guess they're trying to act like Catwoman had powers. The whole panther-growl noises got old. And I think it's hella stupid that she doesn't wear a disguise of any kind.

I agree about Batman leaving Gotham. Never happen.

I plan on giving the show a chance though..
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Dark Bamf »

Helena definitely was not the daughter of Batman and Catwoman in the comics. I think they picked that up from the suggestion of romance between the two in the second movie.

Actually, there was some hinting about of that in the comics, too, but they never had a child, nor as far as I know, even consummated a relationship. Helena had a different last name (I can't remember what it was), neither Kyle nor Wane.

I think I'm most bothered by making Canary a totally untrained innocent. And those psychic powers--I don't recall her having anything like that, either.

--Atilla's Hunny
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Birds of Prey thread

Post by ahmed »

In Batman Beyond, Bruce didn't seem to have children...
"Earthwormearthwormearthwormearthworm Jim! Hoo-ray for him!!!"

"Eat Dirt, evildoer!!!!!"

"By The Great Worm, whose segments stretch across the infinite universe."

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#8

Teen Scrawlers #1
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Dark Bamf »

Hey, I just heard they may be canceling BoP. Has anybody else out there heard anything about this?

--Atilla's Hunny
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Chuck Austen once made the comment that the reason Smallville was so successful was because they turned Superman into Spiderman.

The Meta-Human thing seems familiar.... can anyone say "Mutants?"

So it seems Birds of Prey is falling into the same pattern- taking DC characters and applying them to Marvel concepts.
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Wish that the focal point of the series was the BLACK CANARY

Post by B A M F ! »

DAVE that'd be a shame if they're cancelling BoP. :( Although there are a few things about the series that I dont like, I feel that overall the show has a lot of potential.

" I think i'm most bothered by making Canary a totally untrained innocent..."

DITTO!

The main reason why I was soooooo excited when I initially heard that they were going to do the series, was because I thought the main character (besides ORACLE of course) was going to be the BLACK CANARY!
Nothing against the HUNTRESS and I understand the need to have a strong BATMAN connection......I just think it would have been great to have a butt kicking, sonic screaming, Dinah Lance running around. Then somewhere down the line they could have introduced a possible love interest/ guest appearance by a certain Mr. Oliver Queen. Oh yeah and the obligatory nod to long time Canary fans when we get an episode where she has to don the old 'fishnets' costume!

:love:

P.S. Ditto NIGHTCRAWLER ZERO
and How's it going GARBLE!

B A M F !
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Dark Bamf »

They repeated the Black Canary episode tonight, which leads into a new followup episode next week. It was a good episode, I liked Lori Laughlin a lot as Canary (damn it, her name is Dinah! and thought her canary cry SPFX were pretty cool. But I hate that they've killed her off. The only hope is that we never saw a body. She may have excaped the explosion, who knows?

--Atilla's Hunny
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Garble »

Not to worry, Dave!

Comic Book Biology 101 teaches us that human beings are extremely hard to kill. Minor injuries disappear almost instantly, and major accidents usually lead to gaining superpowers and/or insanity. Most "deaths" in fact turn out to be last minute escapes. If there is no body, then the person definitely isn't dead, and even when there is a body 90% of the time it's actually a robot, clone or shape-shifter. It's a fact.

wanders off to drink some random chemicals
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Dark Bamf »

You got that right. :LOL:

--Atilla's Hunny
Shadywhisk
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Birds of Prey thread

Post by Shadywhisk »

Originally posted by Garble

Comic Book Biology 101 teaches us that human beings are extremely hard to kill. [/i]
It's those "unstable molecules", baby. ;)
Owner of the Bamf-mobile - the next best thing to teleportation
TheWraith
Lubber
Lubber

Birds of Prey thread

Post by TheWraith »

BoP is one of the worst comic book adaptations I've ever seen, and I'm thankful WB came to their senses and canned this garbage!
Frank Dirscherl
Publisher
Trinnity Comics