The New 52: Animal Man

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Aquaman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, the Flash, and more!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

When this opened with a wall of text (an interview in a magazine with the main character) I was a little worried, as it seemed like a big info-dump, but it actually worked pretty well, and was tied into the story nicely. Lemire has an excellent ear for dialogue, each character had a very distinct personality and voice from from the first time they appeared, and I liked all of them. Also the kids actually 'sounded' like kids which a lot of writers don't get very well.

It was a little slow to get rolling, but once it was going, it was REALLY good. Absolutely creeptastic in the second half of the book, in the best way possible. You see one creepy thing and go :o and then ANOTHER thing comes along that's even worse and so on and so on until the final page when you just go 'gaaaaahhhh!' (but totally in a good way)

the art seemed a strange fit at first, but when you start getting into the stuff towards the second half of the book, the choice of artist makes TOTAL sense. Also, while not as polished as I know some people like, the art was solidly constructed, and he's really pretty good with expressions.

Definitely recommend this one.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I loved the little things in Animal Man. He needs to sleep, so he grabs the nap powers of a cat. He needs to not make the boards creak, so he grabs the weight of a bumblebee. That really grounded Buddy as a real person, IMO, as that's what we'd all mostly be using them for if we had his powers.

Really, that's what this issue mostly seemed to be about Grounding Buddy as a real person. Everything, from the opening magazine page, to the stuff with his family, even the superheroing he did adds to this idea of Buddy being a regular guy with incredible powers...

...and then you get to where he goes to sleep and you get the counterpoint to that idea. It's gorgeous and you get a really nice, horrifying twist at the end.

I fully recommend this book. Sure, it's my fourth favorite of the day, but it's also about the same place in my rankings for the month. It just happened to be a great day for awesome comics.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

I picked up this and Swamp Thing based on your assessments - so glad I did. I may just end up getting every DC Dark book now - well, maybe not I, Vampire. I was already figuring on Demon Knights, Resurrection Man and JL Dark though. It's like the early days of Vertigo again - only with a consistent schedule!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

While I was skeptical of I, Vampire as well, (was getting Twilight vibes from it) Gail Simone is just gushing about it on Twitter, she loved it, and says she's not a vampire fan and says it's not Twilight at all, so i am gonna give it a shot.

and yes, I love the Dark and Edge lines. I'm so glad DC diversified their line.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

It starts out really slow, even after I got past the first page I kept thinking "Oh, this again" until about the middle of the book. Then it goes nuts. (But never quite loses that sense of deja vu.)

I really wonder how it would look to someone with no previous knowledge of the character. This is the only title so far in the New 52 that I've read before. I read Morrison's run ages ago after Antho nagged me into it and this feels a lot the same.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I never read Morrison's run (I know, i really should) and... well, read my post.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I totally assumed you would have read it. Ha, sorry.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I've also never read a single issue of Animal Man before this one. I caught the little shades of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing with The Red and all, but this was my very first introduction to the character and I loved it. :D
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I have now read Morrison's Animal Man! go me. That was trippy. Though, I guess that's to be expected with Grant Morrison!

It's also pretty relevant to the whole reboot situation, since it deals with the ramifications of Crisis, and everything about it is perfectly applicable to the New 52 as well.

That being said. While I do recommend it to anyone who liked the new Animal Man, and it does flesh out Buddy and his family a bit more than we can get in a single issue so far of Animal Man, I think the new series can easily stand on it's own without it.

Anyway, as mentioned in the Swampy thread, it looks as though Animal Man and Swamp thing will be crossing over, or at the very least dealing with a common threat, "The Other". Given Maxine's resurrection of dead animals and all the dying animals and undead monster in Swamp Thing, It seems that this new counterpoint to the Green and the Red deals with death and decay. As such I suppose it makes sense for it to cross over, as it's something that affects both plants and animals. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

It's occurred to me that the sense of deja vu might have been partially due to reading Sweet Tooth 1-24 the day before Animal Man 1. Same writer, and maybe a similar feel.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I read this title and couldn't help but think of this the entire time:

Was far from impressed. I think of the titles that are not going to see an issue 5, it's this, Mr. Terrific, and Wonder Woman.

GOD I hope Wonder Woman gets canceled. What a terrible fucking comic.

My biggest beef with Animal Man was the lack of introduction. I feel, as a new reader who knows nothing of this guy, like I'm in the same place I would've been had I not read the issues.

I found some old Animal Man backissues at that Sale I was mentioning, and I see nothing really has changed in terms of character/style of how characters are written in this comic.

[Edited on 19/10/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS