X-Force (possible spoilers)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Wow, well I wasn't going to pick this book up, but my friendly comic book guy had put me a copy by and told me it was worth reading, so begrudgingly, I did buy it.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. It has a good writing team on it with Kyle and Yost, which is what did kind of push me to buy it, and I liked the artwork as well.

It's got a good build up to the next issue with the WTF cliffhanger and I liked how Wolverine was against the idea of the formation of the team, rather than was all 'Lets do this Bub'. It made a nice change and showed a human touch to him.

The concept of an all feral/tracker team did put me off at first, but it doesn't really seem like that when you read it.

Anyone else got opinions on this new title? I'm certainly picking up issue two.

:x23
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I really had my doubts about this title and initially didn't plan to pick this up, because the premise and choice of cast itself seemed questionable to me.

But after hearing good things from many people about it, I decided to give the first issue a chance. And to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. The artwork is excellent and the writing solid. I think none of the cast is written out of character and the pacing was just right. It's an enjoyable book with some well done action. And seeing Purifiers get sliced and diced is quite satisfying after all they've done. The end of the book leaves you wanting more, so that's a good thing.

It was good to see that neither Rahne nor Warpath got shoehorned into the plot, and seeing Wolvie being reluctant to drag the others into this really makes him more likable. The only thing I found hard to believe was that Emma didn't know about Scott's plan. Come on, it's Frost. But maybe Scott only thinks that she doesn't know already.

However, I still have my doubts how this book will work out in the long run. What we have here is solid plot and some fun action that makes sense after MC, but I wonder how they'll go on after the Purifiers have been dealt with. In my opinion, stories like these work for a limited series, but I think the premise will have to be altered if this book is meant to be an ongoing.

So I'm willing to give the first few books a chance and see where it'll go. I'm still hoping for some changes in the line up, because right now everyone has too similar powers. This not only limits the team's effectiveness, it would also make the action scenes boring after a while. Additionally, I really hope that Ironman and/or SHIELD don't get entirely ignored. Uncanny has shown that Tony is aware of what's going on with the X-Men, and I won't believe that they'd just ignore what the Purifiers are doing right now.
Additionally, I hope that the rest of the MU doesn't get ignored
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen