Endangered Species: One Shot

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

SPOILER alert, cause I can't get the tags to work.

I really enjoyed this one. There were lovely bits of humour scattered in there, while dealing with a very serious issue in an interesting manner. Lots of lovely hints too.

I found it interesting that they used a [spoiler] female priest [/spoiler].

Kurt was in a lot of it, though mostly silent. Looking good though! I liked the talk Mercury had.

My two fav funny bits was [spoiler] Jamie offering to repopulate mutantkind through his 'services' and Scott's pinochio comment to Logan. [/spoiler].

All in all, it left me really excited to see the rest of it come down. :D

Paws

[Edited on 20/6/07 by fourpawsonthefloor]

[Edited on 20/6/07 by fourpawsonthefloor]
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Refresh my memory. Was this its very own issue, or was it an extra 8 pages at the back of another issue? (And if so, which? X-men?) I swear I knew all this just yesterday, but... I didn't get any sleep last night.

Who made the "I want to die standing up and singing the Marseillase" [/something similar] comment?

I want to read it!
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Its a stand on its own one shot that just hit the stands today. :)

Buy it. Its good!

Paws
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Thank joo!
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I'll get this tomorrow.

I was right about the graveyard scene being "just a dream" though! Yay I am clever!

Edit: Skimmed it, do not recommend that anyone buy it. Boring. Here is what happens: Mutants are going extinct and they are not happy about it. Rated M for Meh.

[Edited on 22-6-2007 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I’m going to disagree with you here. ;) I really liked it. Just seeing characters from various teams together and for once all acting like they know each other and have established relationships is awesome. I liked Logan’s reaction – it was in character for him, but not attention-whoring over the top; Emma’s reaction made sense for her and was amusing; the Jamie Madrox bit cracked me up; the cameo from an old X villain was great; and the art was very pretty.

I’d recommend it. It’s a set up for this running event, of course, but it’s very well done and reaches into some of the better bits of X continuity for little moments. The Carey <3 continues for me.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I'm such an idiot. I was at the bookstore yesterday and just made a beeline for the book I was looking for. I came in, found the book, checked out a couple others that caught my eye, paid and left. I completely forgot to look for Endangered Species.

Now I'll have to wait till... next Friday at the earliest. >.<
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I liked it as well. It was a good non-actiony issue and it was really cool to see all the characters from all the books there together. Good to know they all actually know each other ;).

Scott Eaton's art was WONDERFUL. I never liked him on New Excalibur but one trend I'm noticing is that for some reason artists work is subpar on NEX then gorgeous other places. I guess they really need to be inspired by the writing :P
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I didn't like the art either. Ooooh I'm a rebel.

Really, I think my main problem was that I had trouble figuring out who a lot of the people actually were. It's great that they get along, but who the fuck are they? Some of them were easy like blonde hair + fishnets HAS to be Emma! Who's that? Bishop? Oh yeah, there's the scar. I thought Multiple Man was Iceman until he multiplied. Thought Rahne was Rachel until someone called her "Rahne". (Yes, I know Rachel is in space, she just looks exactly like Rachel. Rahne had long hair last I saw her.) Still have no idea who Mercury was talking to on the title page. (Kitty? Sophia?? WHO IS IT??) Blame everyone being dressed the same, or me being out of the loop (or the shitty art) I don't know.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Okay, I can see where you're coming from on the characters, except they did have clues who everyone was. Mercury was with Laura - X-23 - because in the church she was using a claw to pick at the pew. Jamie's clue other than the duping is that he looks exactly the way he's drawn in X-Factor right now, as did Rahne and Rictor. The only two I did have problems identifying were Sam and Bobby, because I hate the art in adjectiveless so much right now. I thought the blond was Warren with no wings until he started talking, and I only figured out that was Bobby because the rose he was holding was iced up.

[Edited on 24-6-2007 by Slarti]
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble too, but I liked the fact that it was a bit of a puzzle that you had to figure out - that made it a challenge for me, and lord knows, I like stuff that makes me have to think and reread and study harder at it.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I've always seen Bobby drawn with light brown hair - dirty blonde at the lightest. Yet lately he has been drawn as Goldilocks, and I know he is blonde in Ultimate. So is this a new thing for him, or was he always blonde and those other artists just didn't know?
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Bobby's always varied. His canon bio says he has brown hair and eyes, yet in the very first issues of X-Men in the 1960's he had blue eyes and has been back and forth ever since. His hair has always varied too - generally just various shades of brown lighter than whoever else he's with at the time. The super blond in Adjectiveless now is pretty rare, but it has happened before.

I also think having him with blue eyes and dirty blond hair in the movies has kind of set it that way again in comics.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

It's another mutant ability! He's a shape shifter!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Slarti
Okay, I can see where you're coming from on the characters, except they did have clues who everyone was.
I don't want to look for clues. I just want to read the story. :

It might have been different if I liked the art though. I didn't want to spend too much time looking at it. It was a big turn-off.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I finally got to read it. I agree with Spaz, it was hard to tell who was who. I forget which page it was on, but there's someone I still can't figure out.

I liked the one-shot though. I didn't buy it, so I can't complain about the price. But it was a good one-time read. Not spectacular, but I liked the scene with Scott and Logan, and also the scene with Cessily, Laura, and Kurt. It was good to see the New X-men react to such solemnity over the death of a mutant who wasn't even a member of the school.

I don't really understand why the X-men went to the funeral though. The father of the deceased accused them of only being there to count one less among their numbers, and while Scott and Emma tried to reason that away, their "we're here to honor one of our own" retort didn't do it for me. I would have been pissed if a bunch of people I'd never met showed up at the funeral of someone I loved who hadn't met them either. But though it felt like an insincere gesture, I don't think it was. I think they were soothing their own hurt as well by going to the funeral. Blah, I'm not making sense even to me.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

This little tidbit is from uncannyxmen.net: "The German line probably thought by Nightcrawler is a line from the famous German poem “Der Erlkönig” by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Considering it is about a fairy king trying to seduce to seduce and finally murdering a child, it makes one wonder why Kurt was thinking about the poem at that moment."

The line Nighty says in Endangered Species is: "Er hat den Knaben wohl in den arm. Er fasst ihn sicher." I have no idea what the translation is, except that "knaben" probably means "boys"? Or I could be totally off.

Anybody able to figure out wha the uxm.net people couldn't - why Kurt thinks this poem is relevant to the funeral?

edit: Haha. A quick Google search turned up results. The translation is "He has the boy safe in his arms" at least for the first part. So I guess it is relevant. But I still think it's funny a fairy tale poem is what popped into his head. Yay for Kurt and folklore...

[Edited on 7-17-07 by Feuerstein]
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

Well, 'he' could as well be the Lord, right? ;)

I don't want to talk bad about Marvel's writers, but I doubt that guys who still write 'Leibchen' or 'in den' (the right word is im ;)) would care about citing classical German poetry of the Romance.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Feuerstein
edit: Haha. A quick Google search turned up results. The translation is "He has the boy safe in his arms" at least for the first part. So I guess it is relevant. But I still think it's funny a fairy tale poem is what popped into his head. Yay for Kurt and folklore...
Bwaha. I'm just talking out my ass here since I don't know the poem at all, but I bet the translation in the context of the story is really supposed to be "He has the boy safe in His arms". Whether it's a mistranslation or not it's just another religious reference. Which, yes, we definitely needed another one of those.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Yup. That's what I'd assume. It still makes me giggle, though... the poem is about seduction and murder of children. And Kurt's quoting it at a funeral. Never mind that the particular line is probably about God. It's still a sketchy poem. :surprise
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Feuerstein
Yup. That's what I'd assume. It still makes me giggle, though... the poem is about seduction and murder of children. And Kurt's quoting it at a funeral. Never mind that the particular line is probably about God. It's still a sketchy poem. :surprise
It's probably the last line of the poem. ;) You know "horrible things happened to him, but he's dead now and presumably doing okay". I'm not happy to see it, but it makes sense.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I did a little more research ('cause, you know, Googling is so difficult) and found the whole poem. It actually makes a lot more sense contextually. It's here: http://german.about.com/library/blerlking.htm

Since the poem is about the murder of a child, it sort of makes sense.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Do you really think Erlkoenig is about the literal seduction and murder of a child, or a child hallucinating as he dies of a fever?

Regardless, the line is about the father holding his child securely.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven