Avengers the initiative.

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: The Boggy Man

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

I've really been looking forward to this title, marvels been hyping it up quite a bit. Read the first issue today, and frankly, now i'm not happy anymore. Going to give this series one more try in 2 weeks when the next one comes out and see if it gets any better. But man, really not impressed with the marvel universe atm. Sad day.

Stjohn

((ps, this is my first post outside of the RP ;) Go me ;) ))
Stjohn: did i walk in on yall doing :shifty?
* Bobby covers Lorna's goodies and whistles innocently.
Lorna: You see nothing!
Stjohn: pay no attention to the couple under the covers?
Lorna: There is no couple, no covers, and, on a different note, no spoon.
Stjohn: I don't believe you. I'm holding a spoon right now.
Lorna: Well damn
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Avengers the initiative.

Post by Freak »

yay! :party

And honestly said, the whole Civil War and the follow-up stuff is a big shitload of, erm...shit for me. I mean, a superhero team in each state? I'm pretty sure Dr. Doom wants to attack Kansas any second now bc of all the...stuff there :shifty (no offense to Kansas though :P)
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by kurtc »

I just finished it I don't like Gauntlet at all. The most interesting part was the big ooopps moment. Seems like it's going to be kinda like nxmen or young avengers. They're going towards an overkill of young groups
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

yeah, and specially with the way they are recruiting them. made me so mad, some of them really didn't deserve to even be there.

I think the team in each state is a bit over kill, but will be nice to see more localized heroes than california or new york. 3rd largest population in the country and no one ever comes here? (Btw, speaking of Texas)

Though I am kinda ticked off about who went where, and some of the teams announced so far are horible.... I mean, seriously... the armidilo? Speedball beat him up solo....
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

The worst part of Avengers:the initiative..... (SPOILERS!!)

Post by stupidusername »

1. I didn't like Gauntlet at all. Was he already in the Marvel U or did they create him for this? He is a joke. I know I have said I wanted more african-american (black) heroes, but come on! Is this the best you guys can do? He is like a black Sgt. Slaughter. And his "power" is l.a.m.e. The only interesting part of his whole backstory is the way Gyrich recruited him. T'Challa was right. At least Gyrich is planning to export superhuman military forces. "capes in the air".... Every thing they do just further reinforces the fact that this whole initiative thing is absolutely wrong.

2. Armory- another stupid "hero". At least with her, they accomplished what they set out to do. She is the "wild card" superhero they are trying to stop. Her reckless use of her powers is exceeded only by her cockiness. And sure enough, she causes the death of someone. "Pay attention, readers, this is why we need the initiative. To prevent this sort of thing." So like I said, she accomplished her mission. She was created just to kill someone recklessly, in order to justify the initiative.

3. MVP- the best created superhero so far and they KILL him!!!! ARGH!! He was a shoo-in for the next Captain America, but it is way too earlier for that. But he is the golden boy, good at everything, and sensitive to others (look at how he took a shine to Cloud 9). Not cocky or arrogant, just an exceptional person. (with genes altered by some version of the Super Soldier serum) I hate these guys even more for doing this.

4. Speaking of MVP's untimely death, where were Armory's safeguards? She's a "tech" hero. Shouldn't Stark or Rhodey had some sort of fail safe if her weapon went off? If this is a military operation, where were the backup fail safes? You are training superhumans, what happens if Komodo goes savage? Or Gauntlet overloads? You mean to tell me they didn't have any contigencies for these kinds of scenerios? They are going to lose a lot of supers this way.

And the way they handled Trauma? O.K. Show us what you've got. Of course, we have no idea what you can do or if you can control it, but just go ahead anyhow. Imagine unleashing a Havok that way or a Damage. Having the other recruits out in the open was stupid. They should have been on the observation deck behind the shielding just like Gauntlet and the scientists were. No protection. If it were me, I would sue. I would hire Matt Murdock and I would sue the whole lot of them. It is obvious that the initiative people don't care at all about these super people. They are only commodities or weapons to be used and then thrown away.

5. Cloud 9. The only bright spot left, so far. Her comments about the....endowments of her fellow superheroines were hilarious. I love this girl. She isn't looking to fight crime, she just wants to fly. And can you blame her? If I could control clouds in a way that would enable me to fly around, I would do so all the time. Her role has already been defined- she is the timid one. Think of the black lady on Police Academy movies. (I forget her name cause I haven't seen them in such a long time) She is a ripe candidate for snapping under the pressure and freaking out.

So there you have it. The best and the worst of the first issue.

New heroes- Gauntlet, MVP, Armory, Cloud 9, Komodo, Hardball, Trauma, (with cameos by Bengal, Rage, Triathlete, "Slapstick", and Thor Girl)

Gone by the end- Armory, MVP(dead)
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stupidusername »

st john- don't knock the 'dillo. Sure, by himself he is a waste of space, like Rhino or Abomination, but in a team, he could be the strong guy, the "meat shield". Just so long as he doesn't do the thinking. ;) But honestly, it is more of the obvious Texas Tornado and some of these clowns that really suck. I mean, they were created to cater to local interests or ethic groups without giving them decent powers or stories. It would be like a Minnesota-based hero with a Paul Bunyan theme. Come on. And Speedball has acccidently kicked a lot of people's butts. For a while there, he was the editors' favorite (like Cable was and Sentry is now) and did a whole lot of guest shots besides his solo series and the New Warriors.
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

lol, yeah, I agree with you on like every single point. The character analysis was spot on. Just want to add also that MVP was basically forced into joining though. He didn't want to be a hero, they made him do it. So if all this stuff had never happened, he would still be alive. and i think that's why we got the ending we did.

and I did a ton research into the Texas team. (I'm from Texas so i'm partial ;) ) and found out we do have soom decent ones at least. Phantom Rider is the original Ghost Rider, (AKA the "Caretaker" in the movie) and firebird was an avenger (And immortal if storyline is to be believed) Texas twister and Shooting star are just out there, they were created for a 1 time thing to fight against the hulk, and they couldn't take him.(Even teamed up with the others minus 'dillo.) So i'm just going to wait and see how they pan out. This could be the shortest i ever read a series.
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stupidusername »

Where did you do your research? (I am curious about the Minnesota team-not excited, mind you, just curious) Or is it just that Texas is so big that they have started there? (Makes sense, I guess)
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

there is a wikipedia list of the known teams so far, i went from there and raided a friends comic colection to round up the 2 issues with "The Rangers" in it, (old hulk issue btw) and read through that, looked up dillo on marvel.com and uncannyxmen.net and got his issue listing. then read through marvel's forum and writers discusions to make sure people were who i thought they were and that's about it ;)

As far as i know, Minnesota currently has no (known) team yet. But at least that leaves you hope ;) we just got subpar people for the texas team. Found out on marvel.com that our leader figure is now a trainee in the initiative. She's been on the hero roster for 40ish years, and she's a trainee now. so stupid.
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stupidusername »

Firebird's not immortal, she just has eternal life. ;) (One of the few outspoken Christian characters in Marvel) But you're right, that is a cast of castoffs. Just be glad that they are using this whole initiative thing as a springboard to create new characters, some of whom could actually be cool.

[Edited on 4/11/07 by stupidusername]
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stupidusername »

Yeah, this is an opportunity for Marvel to create some interesting new characters. And if they suck, they can always be killed off by friendly fire. :yell
(Yes, I am still angry about MVP)

But seriously, I thought this was going to be a revamp book. You know, take a somewhat lame character and revamp their image, backstory, or use of powers in order to make them appealling to modern readers. Like Moon Knight. For years, (most of the 80's and 90's) Moon Knight was a joke. Like Nighthawk (Not the Squadren Supreme one, but the Defenders one), he had an interesting look, but he was used wrong. (I mean joining the WCAvengers?? Even Moon Knight himself slammed that choice -MK#1) So I thought they were going to take some of these second-tier heroes and make them better.

But now, I am thinking this is going to be more of an introduction book. Create some new heroes (based off of existing characters, more often than not) and show them being molded into the kind of professional superhero Tony Stark and the registration crowd wants. I guess we'll see if I'm right.
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stupidusername »

:yell I am still angry about MVP :yell

But I am still anticipating the next issue. I hate that about Civil War and its tie-ins. I hate what they are doing, but I am compelled to read anyway. Hopefully the next issue comes soon.
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

Ok, so new issue out, and I like it alot more than the first. Go MVP, and i was really hopeing for a different ending, but still good. Let me know what you all think before I start tossing out spoilers ;)
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by kurtc »

It had points where I enjoyed it like when Trauma freaked out and lost control of his powers. I think the book would be way better if it was a little darker.
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

i don't know, I think I've head enough dark with the whole civil war thing. If we want dark we can go read punisher or moon knight. Trauma freaking out i loved, and I loved the mad scientist rant at Pym, was b e a utiful! and the halo referance, that was fun, but so wrong at teh same time.
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by kurtc »

yeah but if they're going in the direction of gauntlet making them tough guy soliders. we don't need another shiny happy kid group book.
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

first off, point me to the shiny happy kid group book, cause I don't know many where the kids are all that happy.

Second off, I personally disagree with turning minors into hardbitten soldiers.

No matter they have superpowers or not, sending them into battle in any occurance is just wrong. That is the type of thing that makes people crack and go on a mass homicide spree later in life. That's why the US army doesn't accept anyone under 18. Kids should not be killers, and that is what these kids are turning into. At this rate you are basically giving a perfect example of what to do so another Columbine happens.

The kids books out right now deal with more social and personal issues than any of the "gritty adult" comics. What do you learn from Wolverine? that killing lots of people is cool? If you tried it youd be locked up in a heart beat. Just because they aren't out and saving the universe everyday doesn't mean their books are less entertaining and not as good.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.
(and my second draft as the stupid server cut out and ate my last attempt.)
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Avengers the initiative.

Post by JSherlock »

Well, actually, while I agree that violence begets violence, I don't think that children with their heads screwed on right will take what they see from comics or video games, etc., and apply it to real life.

Columbine was a whole slew of problems that came to a head. They didn't just read comics and go blow everyone away.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

lol, yeah, that is true, but saying that it's ok for kids to be able to do this type of thing, and that it makes for a great story isn't a message that should be put out there.
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

ok, so i've picked up 3 finally, right as 4 is about to come out, but it was a decent read. Too bad the end of the first was too predictable.
stjohn
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Avengers the initiative.

Post by stjohn »

yay! 4 is out and i'm happy again!