Angel's Wings? (possible spoilers for First Class)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

In X-men First Class, Angel and Wanda are going together, and Angel straps his wings under his coat to hide them out in public. This is not news to me, but I'm wondering how efficient that strategy can be. It's got to be very cramped, though I guess birds get away with it. Still, it must look like he's got too humps on his shoulders or something, or at least be very difficult to sit down.

So my question is this: in Xavier's first group of X-men, they were teenagers - did they attend school? Xavier didn't have the staff to teach them that the institute does now. If they did go to school, how did Warren manage to sit with those huge wings? We know they all graduated school and some went on to university, but how was it accomplished - especially in Warren's case, since he had the most obvious physical mutation until Hank's transformation? Did they go to public school or did they have private tutors? Or maybe Xavier forged their GEDs. -.-' Anybody know?

:warren
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I've always wondered that too... Because That is alot of wing to hide, regardless of how flexible they are.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

Post by stupidusername »

:angel From the beginning, Warren's wings have always bothered me. In the sixties, Stan and Steve did allow the wings to just fold back and give a slight bulge like Warren is sloughing or something.

But as the Uncanny X-men got new writers and new artists, the wings got bigger and bigger (to make them seem more realistic, most likely) until it was no longer believable to think he could hide them this way.

This led to the backpack/metal case look of early X-Factor. A more realistic look, to be sure, but incredibly lame nonetheless.

For most of his career, Warren has just let the wings hang out. You have to remember, he went public early in his career and has always used his wealth to shield him from the problems that a hero with no secret identity has.

But back in his school days, it was assumed that his wings were flexible enough to hide. When he left the X-men to go to college, he continued this practice. To be honest, the wings WERE smaller back in those days. And Angel could do things he hasn't since then, like hovering like a hummingbird.

With the bigger wings he has now, it would be improbable to believe he could do such a thing now. He glides more now. But with the bigger wings, he can carry more than he could in those days.

As for school, Warren most likely let them out while attending class as he would feel no shame "being himself" among his fellow mutants. As for other faculty, I believe Xavier did all the teaching himself. His entire school body was only five mutants (which expanded to seven with Havok and Lorna) after all. Think of it like home schooling, except at a private school.

[Edited on 3/28/07 by stupidusername]
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman