Claremont on Exiles. Ugh.

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

This is old news but:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... i?id=10068

Ugh. Ugh Ugh Ugh. So not only is he gonna rewrite everything he wrote, but also what Winick did but worse?? Is there ANYTHING in this interview that's new and original?? And....GWEN STACY?!

I'm also quite sick of CC imposing his own specific mythos on a book that had it's own. Roma?? WHY?!

Discuss!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

"I'm not interested in doing a story where Spidey turns left instead of right and Gwen Stacy lives instead of dies or whatever," Claremont explained. "Why not just take the fantasy and science fiction and go a couple of big steps further? Let's see if we can invent something that catches the mind and inspires the imagination of the readers and gets them coming back for more.
and this -
Claremont also plans on looking at alternate worlds that aren't defined by different outcomes in World history. "Why does everybody have to be human? Why does everybody have to be mammalian even? We can have other versions and incarnations of the Marvel characters," Claremont stated. "Like a race of people descended from dinosaurs or insects. The idea is that we have a book that mixes science fiction and fantasy in every sense of the word and isn't locked into traditional continuity in the sense that all of our Dr. Doom's have to look alike and all of this has to look like that. Plus we can have unhappy endings."
All those two quotes mean to me is 'lets do some really crazy assed out there shit that doesn't really make any sense, but allow me to insert characters that I enjoy playing with *cough* OC's *cough*.

I'm all over the more subtle stuff, but why jump right to aliens and dino's??? Cause that was the fodder for the 70's - that's why.

And hello! Unhappy endings? uh...yeah. There have been several in exiles. You aren't forging new territory there.

But then you'd know that already, cause you did your homework and read it right? :doh!

And the whole stuff with crossing over the two books...kinda reminds me of masturbating. Why not pick a different book to collaborate on with another writer? Ah but I am jaded you see. :P

So yeah. Not terribly excited there. But there is #200!!!!!! I'm all over that! So not all hope is lost :P

Paws

[Edited on 26/3/07 by fourpawsonthefloor]
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

The dinosaur stuff already happened in Excalibur. Someone should tell the old man he's got some probs with his memory :shifty
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I realized when I starting writing a response to this that I was going to go waaay off topic, SO, I shall be ranting about the general malaise in the X books in a new thread once I gather my snark.

As usual, I preface this rant with my general disclaimer that without Chris Claremont I wouldn’t be here right now. It was his X-Men that made me fall in love with most of the characters I still watch. He created some of my favorites. That was then. Even back then he was often wordy and weird, but nowadays you all you have to do is open any three of his books from the 70’s or 80’s, put them through a shredder, tape them together and you’ve got his new groundbreaking storylines.

WHY they would give Claremont another X-book? I admit I haven’t read Exiles since Winick left (<3 Winick) but I can just imagine the horror. I mean, really, how many books does Claremont have to kill before he’s put to pasture!? And WHY would you cross over your own two books!? Why, to make them even more confusing, of course!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

I honestly don't know why they let him keep writing. His books are generally on the low end when it comes to sales, and even lower when it comes to new and innovative ideas. I mean, paws hit it on the head. The man is telling us about all these things he wants to do that has been done and even HE has done before!!. LAME!

I think the most infuriating thing about him is he has SUCH disregard for what other writers have done before him. He very obviously doesn't do much research. Gwen Stacy? Nature taking it's course? NEWS FLASH: MIGUEL IS NOT PETER PARKER! Spiderman 2099 is NOT Spiderman!! Thats just LAME! And using the F4 in BOTH of his introductory arcs?? Come on!!

I'm so frikken depressed Nocturne is going over to Exiles. Mainly because there's been a rumor floating about that CC is off NEX as of 24. I worry that Exiles is Marvel's "sacrificial book", in that they'll let CC have at it til it dies. Then...bye Blink! Bye Morph! Bye Nocturne!! :bawl
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I wouldn't call myself a Claremont purist (I don't have the right, having become a fan only recently in the 2000s), but I have really enjoyed everything of his I've read, new and old. (Though as I stated somewhere else, there is dialogue and exposition that makes me gag. "His fur - it's so sleek!" anyone?) It's because I'm fond of sappiness, and fantastical, almost childish plots. So even though it puts me against the grain, I always look forward to his runs. But I do understand why people dislike his writing; it is, undoubtedly, a remnant from the past, and not everyone is as nostalgic as me. ~_^ His style is out of place often enough. I can ignore that, though, because his latest run in Uncanny (which was, okay, a couple years ago) is my favorite of anything that's happened in that series recently. But to be honest, though I read Exiles, what happens in it usually goes in through my eyes and out through my nose. I haven't the faintest idea what's going on, other than Sabretooth and Blink are together and someone (Proteus?) has been molded to look like Mimic. So I can't say he's jumping out at me in that department!
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
impulseucf
Lubber
Lubber
Title: What the DEVIL?!!?!

Post by impulseucf »

Hi, All. Relatively new here. Nacht has spread the word, and I have seen the light. Glad to be here! You can see some of my earliest work in the Parodies - H U M O R thread.

Anyway...

CC on Exiles. On the one hand, I was excited at first because toward the end of his run, Bedard had managed to nearly destroy the series, and I wanted anyone else. Second, CC has been known to write some stellar character interaction scenes, and Exiles started and peaked as a character book.

On the other hand, a lot of his later stuff has been less than stellar. I saw him mutiliate the character of Nocturne, one of my favorite Exiles, over in NEX, so I was less than optimistic.

His stuff on Exiles so far is okay...the first two issues were pretty good, but with the obligatory cornball, groan-inducing snippets of dialogue. I also didn't like the Psylocke character worship and forced presence of Roma. Really, does Roma need to be in everything he writes??

It's not bad, and I'll have to see where it goes. I may drop the book for the first time come issue # 100.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by Feuerstein
But to be honest, though I read Exiles, what happens in it usually goes in through my eyes and out through my nose. I haven't the faintest idea what's going on, other than Sabretooth and Blink are together and someone (Proteus?) has been molded to look like Mimic. So I can't say he's jumping out at me in that department!
Don't even bother with Claremont's Exiles. Seriously. Start at issue 1 and live it's majesty. It was a frelling amazing series in it's day.