Weird question about Mystique

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Chloe
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Chloe »

Sorry if this is a weird question but I was having this discussion with my boyfriend (husband in 6 weeks!) about Mystique and we couldn't agree. I wondered if you good people could clear things up for us!
Say if Mystique transformed into Magneto, and then had sex with a woman, and the woman got pregnant would the baby have white hair or blue skin (ie would it take after Mystique or Magneto)? Let's just say the woman is a normal human. I know she was in human form when she conceived Kurt (right?) and he is blue, but I don't think that means the baby would be blue because Mystique could have still had her own eggs, etc, when she conceived Kurt, but she doesn't have her own supply of sperm, so I guess it would be a copied version of Magneto's sperm, so I think the baby would look like him, and not her, but he thinks it would look like her. Can you help?
Thanks!
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

To my understanding if Mystique shapeshifted in a man she would get the equipment, but not be able to produce sperm, kinda like people who actually get sex changes, they look like a man/woman but do not funticion like the sex they had the operation to change into. It has always seemed to me that the idea of Mystique actually imprenating someone is just a crappy Chris Claremont idea.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Simple answer: Mystique could never impregnate another woman, because she is biologically a woman. She doesn't produce sperm, regardless of how she looks. Her changes are cosmetic mainly, and in order to produce sperm she'd need to be able to change herself on a cellular/DNA level..

She ain't no Courier :P
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Somehow it always comes back to Gambit related people Nacht? :smirk
Chloe
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Chloe »

Yes, that seems weird to me too, but I thought they were going to have her impregnate Destiny in the comics?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Yeah, and that idea was abandoned.

Also, as loath as some people may be to be reminded of this, in the Draco arc, it was pretty clear that Mystique was in her natural form when Nightcrawler was conceived.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Chloe
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Chloe »

I thought the idea was only abandoned because it was "contraversial", not for any other reason?
I didn't realise that about when Nightcrawler was conceived, what comic do you find out about that in?
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

The "Draco" Arc is the arc you will desire, not sure of the exact number, but the Mystique Destiny thing seemed conterversial, but it also seemed very unlikely that it was biologically possible, so I'm glad it didn't happen.
Chloe
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Chloe »

I don't really see why it would be contraversial today, since two women can have a child together with no problems, but I do agree, that it is unlikely to be biologically possible. I guess I was just wondering what would happen if it somehow WAS possible, ie would her genetics somehow be passed on even if she wasn't using her own body?
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

DNA is DNA - its not going to alter everytime she shifts. Kinda like the concept of a burnette dying her hair blonde. She's still going to pass burnette genes along to the kid - not blonde ones.

Think of it like mystique is just really good at disguises...it doesn't change who she is underneath.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by Confizzle
Somehow it always comes back to Gambit related people Nacht? :smirk
Courier is a completely seperate entity from Gambit.....and still kicks alot of ass. And he can do that, he can change his cells and genetic make up to an extent. THATS why I brought him up. When he became a woman, he was biologically a woman.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Originally posted by Chloe
Yes, that seems weird to me too, but I thought they were going to have her impregnate Destiny in the comics?
That was an idea Claremont had a long time ago. In that scenario, it would be revealed that Mystique's true form is male, making her a kind of mutant cross-dresser. But writers after Claremont had Mystique get impregnated by Victor Creed. This established her as being biologically female and so the Mystique and Destiny love child idea was totally scrapped.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I wouldn't immediately write it off as impossible...especially if she had stayed disguised as a man for a very long time and had, for some reason, needed to actually have male genitals.

This IS the universe where Cyclops can shoot physical light through his eyes and smash a mountain while not blowing his head in the opposite direction with the same force.

Basically, it's make-believe. Anything can happen.

But, really, I'd think Mystique as a father would be unlikely, even using the next-to-no-rules of the Marvel Universe.

First, even when she's in male form, she's unlikely to have male genitals. Why? She's morphing clothes onto herself, so it would be a needless complication.

Second, think of her male genitals like she's morphing Wolverine's claws. They're not metal, they're unlikely to even have bone in them. They just *look* the part.

Third, even if she DID somehow manage working male genitals, it's pretty safe to assume that they would function as normal male genitals do and produce sperm that contained her own DNA. Therefore, to answer your question, it would be much more likely to take after her and any similarity to the person she was impersonating would be more of a coincidence than anything.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I don't really see why it would be contraversial today, since two women can have a child together with no problems,

And this folks is exactly why we don't use comic books as text books in medical school.

In the real world, it's impossible for two women to conceive a child together.

-e
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Saint Kurt
I don't really see why it would be contraversial today, since two women can have a child together with no problems,

And this folks is exactly why we don't use comic books as text books in medical school.

In the real world, it's impossible for two women to conceive a child together.

-e

She meant that two women can raise a child together. The language isn't clear in that fragment, but the rest of that sentence clarifies it.

I don't really see why it would be contraversial today, since two women can have a child together with no problems, but I do agree, that it is unlikely to be biologically possible

Personally, I would have preferred to see the magical Destiny/Mystique pairing. Anything to save us from Austen's interpretation. Though the conception of Nightcrawler issue was one of his better ones, despite the issue of why, if she has to be in her natural shape to conceive, she can shift afterwards without aborting the pregnancy. If you're going to have fake speculative science, at least make it consistent with itself.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Destiny and Mystique did raise a child though :rogue .. as for Mystique magically developing the ability to produce sperm, I'm glad they didn't go through with it.. not only is it the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, but I doubt Destiny could even have children at her age:LOL