Runaways

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Runaways

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I thought we had a Runaways thread?? Hmm....

Anyway, I KNOW YOUR READING! Granted, Runaways has been rather...well, its good, just not where it was in the first season, ya know?

Anyhow, I'm concerned about this latest arc. I'm almost positive I read somewhere that one of them will die.....

We know it prob won't be Gert. We know her future.

We know it prob won't be Molly. Vaughan's better than letting you know the big surprise before the end....

I doubt it'll be Victor. He's still new...

SO.....Nico or Chase?? I think Chase. AND I WANNA CRY! :bawl

Ok, why do I think Chase? No reason other than he's my favorite character and they're out to get me!

No..actually...while he is my fav, it kinda makes sense. A: He's the least useful of the bunch. B: Remember what future Gert said? About wishing she had a chance to tell him she loved him? Well, with Gert finding out Nico and Chase kissed, and being pissed about it, and then him dying at the end of this....she wouldnt have a chance, now would she?

Granted, I'm grasping at straws here...but...I dunno, what do you all think??
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Runaways

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'm the retard who didn't even know there was a new runaways.

I have the hardcover of the first 18 issues though and it's awesome. I was actually kind of astounded by it because it gets so many things right and yet it's still Marvel who seem to be publishing things lately with little regard to who their actual audience might be.

It presents young characters who are still in high school so that adolescent readers can relate, but they don't talk like "Yo Dude, this is really poppin'!" so adult readers can relate as well. They may be young, but they're smart. The world they're in is our world, but it hints just enough about having super heroes in it that the fact that the kids have powers isn't completely weird, but we can still relate to the world and to their feeling of isolation. Then it's like the author kind of just mixed in the kitchen sink of comic book cliché and didn't use any of it in a clichéd way. There's a dinosaur and black magic and in true child fantasy story tradition, the youngest and seemingly weakest member is also the strongest. Plus the plot was tight.

Marvel needs to have more books like Runaways.

-e
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Runaways

To be perfectly honest, the new season is nowhere near as good as the old season. But I attribute it to vaughan ending it, then being all "Oh, you want me to start again? Um ok."....Not that it's noit still one of the best books Marvel is publishing...

I find that vaughan actually works BRILLIANTLY with cliches. Between the two books of his I'm reading right now (Runaways and Y) both are full of cliches which he works in a way to make them new and exciting. And also, Vaughan KNOWS how people talk. He knows how people think. And he doesn't stereotype his characters. Each character, even though they're a bit of a hippie, or they're a jock, they all have redemming qualities. And they all have depth. hell, Chase is my FAV character and he's the jock! And he's dating the pudgy girl in glasses. And it makes SENSE!!

I just love it. It's one of the first books I picked up. Man, between Exiles and Runaways, its not WONDER I got hooked!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Runaways

OMFG!!!

O
M
F
G

NOOOOOO! I'm CRYING! I thought they'd NEVER!!!

Though....it does seem that [spoiler]Chase will be kicking a whole lot more ass now. Poor Chase! Poor Gert! But...now he has a raptor![/spoiler]

[Edited on 19/7/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Runaways

Post by idsunki »

That was an absolutely unforeseen ending! I really liked that last panel of the death scene bit - with the color fading off to black and white?

Holy damn ... I do love this series.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Runaways

Post by Kaileighblue »

Brian made me a sad panda with that issue. I mean really. That was the best character.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Runaways

Anyone read the newest issue?? MAN OH MAN was that sad!!! Molly talking to the leapfrog? And.....Nico's a SLUT.

Anyway, this series just does not stop getting better. I am VERY anxious to see what's up with Chase and this new team he's starting. Man I love him!

Seriously, I was thinking for a long time that BKV couldn't top the first run on Runaways. But the new series is really getting there quick. It started a bit shaky with Excelsior and all (don't get me wrong I LOVED it...and anything to get my Jono in the books..even if its not really him...). It was tough to go from the end of the last one right into these kids all fighting crime like its their job. But god damn....its soooooo good. SOOOOO GOOD!

Anyone reading the Runaways/YA crossover?
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Runaways

Post by idsunki »

Nico's not a slut, c'mon. She just has a different defense mechanism than some people...

And the YA/Runaways crossover is pretty sweet. The part where they 'scare off' Molly is one of the best moments in comics ever. Probably one of the fastest scenes I've seen an 'Aww, how cute!' go to a 'Holy crap on a crap cracker!'
jeangay
Lubber
Lubber
Title: JEAN LUC!!!!!

Runaways

Post by jeangay »

oooh nacht I think I disagree completely.

I think the second season is top notch! Granted its not the original...but NOTHING is as good as the original. It's an almost proven point (minus the research and the work cited to back it up.)

however,
taking it out of its "sequal" catergory. It's brilliant. Look where everyone stands at this point in their life....they are so completely different than their first panel, and to drive home that point so seemingly effortlessly is brilliant.

As for the last arc...I liked its direction and turned the pages in dread about finding out who died. After I saw, I wasn't right the rest of the evening.

My fav. character....ugh!

I remember when I started season one, talking to Lisa and telling her how MUCH I loved the character. (I'm trying not to have a spolier moment here.)
And BAM! like Emeril, toasted.

Though it was sad, and needless...I felt more drawn to the remaining characters and what the rest of the issues would be like. Reading #19 I already see the impact, and its LASTING. Unlike New X-men (which i'm a fan of.) which kills people off and the characters are like "Oh Jay died? Starbucks anyone?"

Runaways know is really propelling these kids into adults. And doing it with such a frail grace as going through your teens enough, without being heroes whose parents are now villains.

You can never copy the original, and who would want to? I know I re-read the hardcover almost weekly, but I'm damn sure I'll be buying the volume 2 hardcover(s) when they come out. :bamf
"Phoenix was the best in the movie, I often wish I could turn people into dippin dots." ~Me

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Runaways

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I read the "Young Avengers & Runaways #01" which came in "The Civil War" torrent zip. And now i want to get more of this Runaways stuff.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Runaways

Runaways is brilliant. Everyone should read it.
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Runaways

Post by kamizzi »

I love Runaways, but it's getting worse and worse last time...:(
:?
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Runaways

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Are there more of Runaways then just the series one and two?
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Runaways

Post by kamizzi »

I think the second serie is still being published. Last one I've read was #21.

And... I want some nice and interesting ideas in it!!! is it too much?

[Wyedytowany dnia 6/12/06 > kamizzi]
:?
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Runaways

So, Joss Whedon is taking over in the next few months....issue 24 I think. And Mike Ryan will be on art. Any thoughts??

Personally, I don't think there's anyone (besides BKV obvs) who I would trust with Runaways more than Joss Whedon. He seems to have a similar writing style to BKV and works with his characters in a similar way. And as for Mike Ryan, I'm behind it. To be honest, Alphona's art was weigning on me. It seemed to be getting longer and more liquidy and I wasnt enjoying it so much anymore. But from the sketches I've seen from Ryan....I'm there!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Runaways

Post by idsunki »

I'm totally there too. As for Whedon, he'll be writing a book that features a group of teenagers with super powers, most of which are strong female leads.

Sound familiar?

Also, the second hardcover came out. I will be picking one up soon to go on the bookshelf next to volume 1.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Runaways

So, what does everyone think of Whedon on Runaways?? I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I'm not sure about how I feel about them being in New York. I hope they're back in LA once this story is over. It was nice to have a cool team that is NOT based in NY.

And Michael Ryan...I regret any awful things I said about you during NEX (which was probably just misplaced bitching over Claremont), because Runaways is GORGEOUS. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

GO READ NOW.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Runaways

Post by Slarti »

Okay, I never read any Runaways before, but I picked up the Joss one on a whim. Aside from being confused as hell about the backstory and who these kids actually are (not to mention the wtf with the dinosaur), I enjoyed it!

I did appreciate Joss’ little sum-up at the beginning, and the story itself was cool with great dialog. The art was beeeeyooty-ful! I’ll probably pick up the next one to see how I like it.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Runaways

Slart, I URGE you to at LEAST pick up the first hardcover. That's like the Runaways bible and will let you know about thew whole story. It doesn't tell you about Xavin or Vic, but you get the basica backhistory, and one HELL of an awesome read. Then get the rest!!