Homo superior, mutant "purity" and the like

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Angelique
Well, real genetics is rarely as simple as Mendel thought in his day. And if a mutant X gene was dominant, it would stand to reason that more of Mystique's children would be mutant. Is Gloria Brickman a mutant?
It's comicbook logic anyway, so I guess it's really not important...

I do believe Gloria is not Raven's biological child...of course that doesn't mean she's not a mutant...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Yeah Gloria Brickman was adopted.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

Hahaha!! That's canon? I just think it's funny because that's a fringe theory on where humans came from. Aliens combining alien and monkey DNA. I'm rather fond of that theory and it's nice to see it getting out a bit.
As far as I know that's canon - at least I remember reading something about how Apocalypse was the progenitor of all mutants when he entered the Celestial's ship. And the Celestials are aliens who may have done something to his DNA.

I've never heard that theory in relation to humans before! So, this theory says that the what? 1.1% difference between humans and our closest ape relatives is due to aliens? :D That's like saying the pyramids and stonehenge could only have been made by extraterrestrials.

Thanks Haver for the volcano info! It's crazy to think how much history was altered by environmental stresses like that. Yellowstone's not about to erupt again, is it? 'Cause it's a heck of a lot bigger than Krakatoa!

Gloria Brickman isn't Mystique's biological daughter, but now I'm wondering, is Malory Brickman a real person that Mystique made disappear? Or is she entirely invented?

Raven and Logan could both have kids running around who are old enough to be grand-parents. And some of them could be mutants I imagine.

Nandireya - it would be easier to have purity among mutants if it was simply an on/off single gene on one chromosome. Then 'pure' I guess would be defined as true breeding homozygous. (I realize that was your whole point, I was just trying to make sense of that).

(I still think humans and mutants are one species ;)).

[Edited on 14/3/06 by chicory]
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by chicory
Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

Hahaha!! That's canon? I just think it's funny because that's a fringe theory on where humans came from. Aliens combining alien and monkey DNA. I'm rather fond of that theory and it's nice to see it getting out a bit.
As far as I know that's canon - at least I remember reading something about how Apocalypse was the progenitor of all mutants when he entered the Celestial's ship. And the Celestials are aliens who may have done something to his DNA.

I've never heard that theory in relation to humans before! So, this theory says that the what? 1.1% difference between humans and our closest ape relatives is due to aliens? :D That's like saying the pyramids and stonehenge could only have been made by extraterrestrials.
Yep, that's our 1.1% alien genes.

No, it's like saying they might have been made by extra-terrestrials. You must have heard that one before. I think it's more popular than the alien/monkey one.

The thing with theories is that there's no proof. It's all maybes. It's silly to actively believe in them, but the possibilities for speculation are endless. I like the alien/monkey crossbreed one because you can tie it into anything (biology, history, various religious myths) and it sort of makes sense if you think about it too long. Hours of entertainment. Hell, this guy managed to get 26 books out of it.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Actually, something has to have some degree of proof in order to qualify as a theory. It has to be tested and observed. And von Daaniken has been thoroughly discredited, anyway.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, you're talking about two different types of theories here. There's scientific theories, which have been extensively tested and are widely accepted, and then there are theories people have just come up with, where it's just a belief people have. People will believe anything, and what they believe are their theories.

Just make sure you're on the same page.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Definitely, that only should have been a might.

I have heard the stonehenge-pyramid/alien theory before, but I don't remember hearing of the human-ape/alien connection. Though I understand that it's really difficult for a great many people to believe that there is something extra-special about humans to separate them from aliens.

Guess I'm not religious enough to believe in the Angels-humans-animals hierarchy or that all nature exists to be exploited by man-kind. But, the alien theory does get around the theology part. It really is an interesting thing to think about. Aliens playing with human DNA. (I was reading the post by Garble in the other thread - didn't Chuck Austen contribute to a series that dealt with just that question?)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz