Your ULTIMATE books...

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

So....here's the little diddy that inspired me to make this thread...

We all get disenfranchised with comics at one point or another. Your favorite character is being written poorly, a writer is taking things in a direction you disagree with, or plain, flat out: the books just suck. It happens....and you think "Maybe I'm outgrowing comics? Maybe I just don't have the interest I did before?" Am I right?

So, I find myself in that now. I've been really unhappy with books lately. And I have thought maybe I'm just losing interest in comics in general.....until I'm introduced to that book. That book that for the past 5 days, I have driven the 25 minutes to buy the next trade for, the book that's like crack on paper. I cannot WAIT to read the next line, the next issue. I've spent at least $80 on the book alone at this point....more if oyu count the gas...If you guys have been in chat, you know how frikken crazy I am about it...and you KNOW how much I love it...

So, basically, I decided to start this thread for us to share our favorite books. But I'm not talking about just "favs". I'm talking about the book you read that is SO good, it's elevated itself out of the comic realm, almost pure art. The book that you scrounged every last penny you had, even didnt eat so you could buy the next issue. The book that had you dying to read the next trade. THATS what I'm talking about. Here's my list:

1. Exiles (up to issue 41)
Of course I'm gonna include this! This is the book that got me reading! And brought me my fav character. But, this is the only superhero book I've found that, during it's run with Winick, was consistantly BRILLIANT. More than once the book made me cry. And that's a good thing.

2. X23 miniseries
I didn't expect to love this as much as I did. I remembered the character from Evo, and to be honest, I wasn't crazy about her (sorry Yost! :(). But I picked up the first issue, and my god. MY GOD. The whole thing, from first issue to last, was absolutely incredible.

3. Runaways (first series)
Perfection. The first 18 issues of this book. We all know I'm a BKV fan, and this is why. A story of a group of kids who find out their parents of super villians....there are so many opportunities for it to become total camp and cheese. But it's handeld so gracefully and with such a wonderful balance between the humor and the more serious that it works out b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l-l-y.

4. Y: The Last Man
Yeah, I am a BKV fan! An old story really, last man on Earth. But told in a way that is completely unpredictable from issue to issue, and so, so god damned satisfying. Seriously, if oyu haven't started reading this yet, I don't know what the hells stopping you....

5. Transmetropolitan (yeah, you knwo I was gonna mention it!)
This is the book that inspired me to start this thread. I have seriously not been able to stop reading since I picked it up. It has got to be one of the best things I have read in a LONG ass time, and the first book in a while (if ever) that has really made me laugh oput loud on more than one ocassion..to the point where i have to put it down and take a break before I continue. The lead character is on the surface, so one note, and yet beneath has so much depth, and is handled so perfectly that you don't even question any action the writer puts him through. God dammit this book is ridiculously good. RIDICULOUSLY. Read it. Now.

Honorable mentions: Fables, Young Avengers, and the Chamber icon miniseries....yeah, that last one was not the best thing in the world, but for an icon mini it was damn good. And I loves me some Jono :jono

So, basically, lets all share, so we all have a reference for when we're going through that "omg comics suck!" period and need to be reminded what good writing is.

*yeah.....this is why I don't crit things I love. Cause i get fan girly and suck at it :P
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

The Walking Dead - The only comic I kept up with during my dry spell. (Which was somewhere between a year and six months, depending on how you count it.) I don't even like zombies, or any horror at all really, but this book is amazing. It's all about character. Go buy.

I could add to the list but I won't because that really is the only book that lasted. I love Fables, but I didn't read it for a year. I love Y, but I'm currently several months behind, and not due to the "I only buy trades" issue. I just haven't been paying attention.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by idsunki »

Desolation Jones. I can't stop reading this thing when it hits.

Also Tales from the Bully Pulpit, if they had ever done a second issue. Basic premise - Teddy Roosevelt steals a time machine and, with the help of the ghost of Thomas Edison, stops a future descendent of Hitler from taking over Mars with the help of democracy's greatest heroes from the past. This features such great lines as "I'm not the public, I'm the president!" The art and story were just so much fun, I need to reread this book about once a month or so.

The book that got me started on comics in this period of my life was Sandman. I have gotten the honor to meet Neil Gaiman once, and am pleased to report that he is a very cool guy with just about the most humble outlook of anyone famous I've ever met. He just has an innate sense of being classy to where he never seems to insult anyone yet never censors himself. I'd like to have a series of extended conversations with that man more than just about anyone in the history of ever.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by Confizzle »

"New"X-Factor- How can I not include this book?

Ultimate X-Men- Best X-team series...ever

Orginal Excalibur 1-17, 41-56... The Orginal Excalibur easily tops the new one.

Old X-Factor- #72-100- loved it but kinda lost steam when Multiple Man "died."
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by Slarti »

I'm with Spaz -- "The Walking Dead." Okay, we all know I do like zombies, but seriously, she's right, it's all about the characters and they are so perfectly done you'd swear they're real. Plus, y'know, zombies!

And old "Excalibur." The only comic I have the complete run of, even though parts of it sucked beyond the telling. When it was good though.... it was awesome.

Another for me would be "True Story Swear to God." This thing made me cry like a little girl, and love every second of it.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by idsunki

The book that got me started on comics in this period of my life was Sandman. I have gotten the honor to meet Neil Gaiman once, and am pleased to report that he is a very cool guy with just about the most humble outlook of anyone famous I've ever met. He just has an innate sense of being classy to where he never seems to insult anyone yet never censors himself. I'd like to have a series of extended conversations with that man more than just about anyone in the history of ever.
AHH! I knew i forgot one!!! Sandman: Endless Nights is one of the best single trades EVERRR
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by BAMFCentral »

X-factor, just love how they have made 2nd and 3rd tier characters actually interesting. There's drama conflict action whats not to love

New Avengers, can't wait for this book to come out. I like the current run, though I heard a rumor the creators were changing soon so not sure if I will stick with it.

Justice, while a mini-series, I like watching the villians just completely destroy the JLA. Good for them. Though I do hope the heroes come back and win in the end.

Ultimates, when it does eventually come out... they never hear of "Battle Chasers" or something.

[Edited on 1-3-2006 by BAMFCentral]
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I'd have to go with some of the only books I've read so far.. which isn't much at all:LOL

Astonishing X-Men is by far the best X-title in my opinion.. the writing is great, the art is astonishing (Ihatemyself).. the first two arcs were both really interesting and I'm hoping this arc will be great too, and judging by issue 13 it is turning out to be great.

Nightcrawler of course.. nuff said:LOL:bamf

Uncanny X-Men just because I've enjoyed Claremont's work earlier on in the arc and his lineup was one of the best in a while.. also, Brubaker's work looks like it'll be interesting so I'm still keeping this as a favorite to me..
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by Diablo »

I began reading comic books fifteen years ago.
So it's tough but, simply put :

1. Alan Moore's V for Vendetta.

2. Claremont and Davis's Excalibur.

3. Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

4. Peter David's Hulk.

5. Mike Mignola's Hellboy.

6. Claremont (75-91) and then Austen's Uncanny X-Men.

7. Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon.

8. Alan Moore's Watchmen.

9. Darick and Roberto's Nightcrawler.

10. Peter David's X-Factor and Madrox.

That's my top ten as of today. The things I can re-read endlessly.
I'm also a big fan of Frank Miller's Daredevil and Sin City, Peter David's Fallen Angel and Alan Davis's Clan Destine.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Your ULTIMATE books...

Post by chicory »

Hmm, I'll have to add all of these to my list of books to check out...

Of what I've read some of my Ultimates are:

Original Excalibur series (I agree with confusedelf's break-down) The first arc was just magic! until the Cross-Time Caper started to run a little long and it didn't get back on track for me until Alan Davis came back (to pencil AND write!) and those were my favorite books of all (41-56? I'd have to check) Some of the Ellis books I liked as well, but those books really were Claremont/Davis's babies.

Classic X-men - I have some of the reprints from ebay. I like the stories in the back of some of the early ones. As for the original stories I just love the whole time period it's set in (with everyone dressed up all the time for no good reason), the dialogue (especially Cyclops :LOL), and I guess the campiness of it all.

Uncanny X-men - I have one issue, it's the Wendigo issue - I think it's written by Claremont and drawn by Byrne. I just love the set-up of the mansion here - with Kitty - I think those were my favorite X-men years. I liked the balance and the friendships. Kurt and Logan, Kitty and Illyana. And the issue where Logan's going to Japan and Kurt and Logan drive Kitty and Illyana to their dance class on the way to driving Logan to the airport and Kurt's meeting Amanda. (It was such a nice family then.

Ultimate X-men - I love how they are starting over with a manageable sized team and how reallistic everything is. It's also so nice that they can twist around canon from the original universe as an in-thing for long-time readers. I like where they are going with all of the characters.

Y the Last Man - I read the first trade - I love the premise because it's different (guess I don't watch enough sci-fi :P) and I liked how it was written and paced.

I've read summary's of Runaways and Exiles and Spiderman and some others - but I have to watch how much I spend, so there's lots more out there I've been meaning to read...
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz