House of M

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

House of M

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I couldn't find a thread about HoM the book....which I thought odd. But then, the only other HoM threads I found, I had started....maybe I should take the hint ;)

But I won't because it seems like things are starting to come together.....and I'm liking it.

My conspiracy theories?? Hilight below:

Layla is a construct of Xavier, who is behind the whole thing. I refuse to believe that the whole thing is being perpetrated by Magneto. We should know Bendis better than that :)

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by BAMFCentral »

Actually tried to avoid this series. But then found out Oliver Copiel was drawing it so gave it a shot....

I actually like it. I'm not sure why, but I do. The pretty art plays a big factor but the story itself, while not earth rocking, is very entertaining.

I like your thoughts on Layla, hadn't thought of that myself... would be a cool way to swing the story. Especially after the way Rogue referred to her.
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

House of M

Post by Lysistrata »

I'm really enjoying the House of M. Of course, I just got back into reading comics after a 10 year absence, so I'm not burned out on crossover events. And, second to Kurt, broody!Erik is my favourite mutant.

So, finally, a place to discuss my wacky theories!

I don't think berobed!Mags is behind it at all. He seems as lost and confused as everyone else, not to mention nearly inarticulate. In an ideal world, I want to believe WANDA is behind it because it's WANDA'S BLOODY POWERS!

I've always disliked the way cannon seems determined to portray Wanda as a helpless victim. She can change the universe, damnit, and she just might have a motivation or two of her own.

Oh, wait. I forgot. She's being written by 45 year old men who've had a crush on her since junior high. Alright, so Bendis can't write Wanda as an adult capable of taking responsibility for her own actions. Hell, he can't write her as anything other than freakishly mentally ill in need of full time care. (Want a cup of hurt/comfort with your Mary Sue fic, Brian?)

All the characters are assuming berobed!Mags is behind it all. I predict they'll show up on his doorstep ready to kill and be genuinely shocked that he's clueless. That might not stop them from killing him, but they'll still be surprised.

I think they'll pitch it as Wanda's subconcious hijacked Xavier and his powers to remake the world - poor lil' Wanda never made a *choice* so she's not a bad person - and they have to kill poor innocent Wanda in order to put the world back. Mags survives, Wanda dies, and Pietro has to fixate on his other sister.

If they wanted to kill off Mags, I think this would be a great time to do it. However, his picture on a cover sells almost as well as Wolverine, so I doubt they're going to do it.

Wow...that was amazingly inarticulate.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

House of M

Post by Nandireya »

A lot of the heroes have got their memories back now in #5...

Cyclops...
Spider-Man...
Shadowcat...
Dr Strange...
Ms Marvel...
Iron Man..
She Hulk..
DareDevil...
Rogue...
Toad...
Spider Woman...
Nightcrawler...
Mystique...

ALL got their memories back...add them to all the characters from #4...there's a lot of heroes out there that know the truth now...though Toad must be a little worried at the moment...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

House of M

Post by Lysistrata »

An interesting tidbit to me is that Wolvie got ALL his memories back. His lack of memories before his Weapon X days has been a big part of his character. Presumably, he can now remember his parents, any wives or chidlren he's had, etc. as well as all his "regular" Earth 616 memories. I smell miniseries.

I'm also really interested in the HoM relationship he had with Raven ("...it's your redhead fetish, James...") and how that may effect them in the regular continuity. They're both much older than they look, have been through a few wars, etc. I'm not a Wolverine/Mystique shipper, but I think this could add an interesting deapth to both characters.

And on a totally snarky note - Lorna, your daddy rules the entire darn world. Why do you have to dress like a cheap whore? At least take it a little upscale for royal dinners with other nobility. *sigh*
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by Lysistrata
I'm also really interested in the HoM relationship he had with Raven ("...it's your redhead fetish, James...") and how that may effect them in the regular continuity. They're both much older than they look, have been through a few wars, etc. I'm not a Wolverine/Mystique shipper, but I think this could add an interesting deapth to both characters.
I haven't been able to read the HoM separate miniseries because I can't find it here, but this is an interesting twist, especially considering there is a possibility Raven may be finding shelter at the mansion. Keeping Wolvie occupied with another redhead takes his interest off of a certain weather witch.... :naughty

*strolls off whistling innocently.*
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

House of M

Post by Lysistrata »

I'm trying hard not to drop spoilers here, but just so I don't cruelly mislead you, the other redhead was Raven "dressed" as Jean.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

House of M

Post by Nandireya »

Logan and Raven have 'done the nasty' on more than one occassion in the regular universe...this isn't likely to effect them much...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

House of M

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Especially after Logan ran from her upon coming to his senses:eeevil
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by bluefooted »

Maybe this should go in a new topic, but it's related and really not worth cluttering up the forums with... yet :shifty

Anyway, so one of the points of this whole House of M thingy is to seriously reduce the number of mutants, right? At first I was all, "so what's the big deal about that?"

But now I'm seriously stressed about the fate of my most favoritest of favorite characters. The one whose presence will make me read even the most shitty of comics. Yes, my beloved Chamber! Yes, he's been abused lately: how dare they give him his face back and lose him in a concentration camp ;) And, yet, he showed up in Runaways, so I thought he was safe. But, alas, that's not the real Chamber. So I became very concerned...

Then I saw the preview cover for Generation M (could no one think of a better name?) which shows Chamber (Yay!) apparently losing his powers (NO!). That, along, with Marvel's statement that these characters would be going through some drastic changes, has made me incredibly nervous for my well-loved, snarky, combusting character. I don't know what's going to happen, but the general consensus among us Chamber freaks is that he becomes human and, presumably, dies since most of his chest is missing.

Anyway, this is just too much to take for me after the cancellation of the NC series - comics are getting me down right now. Not to mention my husband has no sympathy for my feelings concerning 'that guy who pukes fire'. Sorry for the rant, but I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who feels scared for their favorite second-tier characters. Maybe it's just me...
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

House of M

Post by Nandireya »

Actually...no offense and all that, I actually quite like Chamber...but shouldn't he have died during the All Too Human arc a few years back...when the mutant gene was, for want of a better term, switched off? Kurt and Hank lost their fur and became human looking, Kurt also lost his tail and grew some extra toes and fingers, Warren lost his wings...becoming totally human should have killed Jono...

Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

House of M

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

How come I never heard of that arc.. can you give me the issue numbers, I'd like to check them out.. I can't imagine them doing that..
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by bluefooted »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Actually...no offense and all that, I actually quite like Chamber...but shouldn't he have died during the All Too Human arc a few years back...when the mutant gene was, for want of a better term, switched off? Kurt and Hank lost their fur and became, Kurt also lost his tail and grew some extra toes and fingers, Warren lost his wings...becoming totally human should have killed Jono...
Of course you're right, but when do the storylines actually make sense? Bullshit explanation: I don't know, maybe if Kurt can grow extra fingers, Jono grew some lungs... and a heart... and a lower jaw...

Yeah, he should really be dead already, but thanks to the silliness of Marvel, he's alive... for now.

Besides the threat it's become to my favorite character, I'm actually kind of enjoying the whole House of M thing and nothing evil has happened...yet. But I still reserve the right to hate Marvel if they kill off Chamber. :chamber
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

House of M

Being a chamber fan myself, I'm a bit concerned as well....but then.....since when has any character died and stayed that way? Remember how Marvel vowed that Colossus and Psylocke's deaths were the "real deal"? And they'd never ever ever ever in a million years come back, as they were dead?? Yeah....well.....look how well that worked out :p
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

House of M

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
How come I never heard of that arc.. can you give me the issue numbers, I'd like to check them out.. I can't imagine them doing that..
Uncanny X-Men #379
X-Men #99
Uncanny X-Men #380

bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by bluefooted »

Okay, dudes. I know I'm freaking you out with all my annoying paranoia, but I'm in a dark place right now, comic-wise ;) so I must vent...

Things are looking worse for :chamber (at least to me they are) after seeing some of the previews for House of M: Decimation - or whatever dramatic name they're giving it. Here's a link to someone else's scans, cause I don't get the mailers (image-heavy so watch out):

http://www.livejournal.com/community/sc ... tml#cutid1

Oh, the horror! Especially the sinister description of the 'victims' in Generation M :bawl

Yes, I know I'm lame for worrying, but as a loyal fan, I feel I must. So, anyone else worried about the fates of their characters? I hear some of the cast of New X-Men will be lost to the drama as well.

Though I have to admit, the new X-Factor looks like it will be Totally Awesome ;pant I'm a sucker for Jamie.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

House of M

Post by kladyelf »

Wheee! Jamie the Multiple Man is back! the only superhero (that i know of) whose name sounds vaguely... um.. dirty :blush but who is actually rather cute! *glomps MM, creates a dozen more and poing-glomps every one in sight*
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

House of M

Post by Saint Kurt »

Oh my God I can barely follow that. It reads like a cross between stereo instructions* and a shopping list.

I guess it sounds interesting and ground breaking and stuff, but all I see is the subtext where Marvel is saying "We don't care about what you like, this is what we're doing. Buy it." Though this could be because like many, I'm feeling a bit down on Marvel these days.

It's not that I'm not enjoying House of M, I am, but it seems to me like Marvel is bound and determined to have some big yearly "event" that changes all their titles. What I've realized is that most of my favorite comics ever carry the same creative team over many years. If Marvel is going to insist on shifting not only their creative teams but their entire universe every year, it's going to be awfully hard for them to create anything that I truly fall in love with. (In the way that I fell in love with Sandman, Transmetropolian, or Preacher.) If anything, with each passing year and each new "event" I lose confidence in the company as these events inevitably eliminate titles and creative teams that I've come to enjoy.

I don't know how this suddenly turned into a mini-rant against Marvel's business and editorial practices. I guess I just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now. :content

So, yeah, sounds interesting and all, but I would rather Marvel just make comic books than have "events".

-e

*"stereo instructions" - why is it that this archaic phrase from the 60s and 70s when "hi-fi" systems were complicated and difficult to wire has remained in our lexicon to describe something that is difficult to follow? I wrote it automatically and then realized, I don't even bother with the instructions to set up a stereo anymore because it's so simple, but then I couldn't think of anything else that would get the point across.
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by bluefooted »

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. Maybe it's cause I'm old ;) I just like the status quo.

Anyway, I've found that as a result of these shakeups, I tend to drop more books than I pick up. Then I'll slowly get back into the new ones. Problem is, that process takes so long, that by the time I'm ready to start trusting in a certain title again, it's time for another crisis event! Yippeee. Well, sometimes you get lucky - so happy Jamie's back ;pant

Anyway, I just hate these things. Especially the ones where TPTB decide they need to kill off semi-popular characters in order to shock the readers. I know no one really stays dead in comics anymore, but it still stresses me out a bit. Guess that's what I get for latching onto an 'expendable' character as my favorite. At least I know Kurt's safe - there's no way he'd ever be dropped.

Guess I don't really mind the HoM scenario - I am a sucker for alternate realities and I think Wanda is pretty awesome - but I'm saddened by Marvel's insistence that the number of mutants needs to be reduced. I could wish 'decimation' on someone else's favorite characters, but I'd feel bad about that, too. However, after hearing the latest rumors, looks like a lot of us fans of second-stringers are going to be weepy after the whole thing is over. So, maybe I won't be the only one in a comics-induced depression :X

Eh, maybe none of this will happen and all this worry will be for naught...
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

House of M

Post by Lysistrata »

Just remember, at Marvel "death" means "taking a little time off."
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by bluefooted »

Anyone interested in Pietro should check out the Son of M preview. It's one of the spinoff miniseries that's following House of M.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... adid=43112

Poor, poor Pietro - some are speculating that he may also be [spoiler]depowered[/spoiler] in the aftermath. I see that cover as more symbolic than anything else, but who knows: Quicksilver fans seem a bit worried.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

I CALLED IT!

Though, it would seem, I didn't share my more recent HoM theory here......so it doesn't even make a difference, huh??

But anyway, this issue was GREAT! OMG I KNEW IT!!! It makes SO much sense its not even funny! Anyone else read it yet??
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by bluefooted »

NOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Here's some stuff about HoM aftermath, basically confirming my worst fears.

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Deci ... erence.htm
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

House of M

Post by Nandireya »

It really sucks for fans of the characters effected...on the bright side, at least they're not dead...if the potential still remains within them they just need Sage to give 'em a nice hearty slap on the back to trigger 'em ;)

I'm guessing all the current X-Men are going to come through this (physically) unscathed...I was going to say I was going to be gald when this whole thing was over...now I'm not so sure...

Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

House of M

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I agree Bluefooted, :urg

I certainly don't want to see Chamber erased from the Marvel Universe, particularly since I am now playing him in an online RPG.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image