The NEW NEW Excalibur (with Nocturne, etc.)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

it also appears that new excalibur is Pete Wisdom, Juggernaut, Cap Britian (male), Dazzler, and Nocturne!
D'wha?

wait, wait wait, is this post house of M? (*checks*) ... Oh it is ... "back to basics" indeed! What on earth are they going to do with the other excalibur then? i'm just starting to bond with the characters dangit!

But hang on a minute, isn't Pete Wisdom dead???? Last i heard he had been shot point-blank in the head and X-force had to deal with a body, a funeral, everything, even with Psylocke coming back the way she did (which until i get a better explanation, i am blaming on Jaime Braddock, yeah, thats it :D) isn't that pushing things a bit? How repeatedly dead can you get? (perhaps its the "bluebottle" syndrome - also known as the "OMG they killed Kenny!" syndrome... they bump him off and he's back again in the next episode, right as rain!) I feel upcoming sympathy pangs for Shadowcat...

And hang on another minute what the frell is Nocturne doing there?, didn't she get sucked into Xorn's head along with Juggy? (oh well, since Nighty is currently taken, i suppose they had to hwave someone blue in there...)

Captain Britain - as in Brian Braddock or something else? what happened to the female CB? even though she was in the US - why can't we have a female defender of a nation? (heck i remember a "Captain Cymuru" in the 'Cross-time-caper' with an... interesting outfit sure to make any fanboy sit up and beg - I wonder if Chris knew about/remembers her? must check my comic collection, i think Alan had taken over the writing by then)

Oh well, whether its good or bad, i guess its the eternal optimist in me that makes me look forward to revamps like this... okay, that and i'm a sucker for bright colours (dangit!)

and Chris? well i liked his stuff on Generation X it sorta suited the style of the series - what issues of his run i have... but my one gripe with his style is that on the "well muscled" characters like (for the sake of example) Colossus - is that they have a huge muscular Atlas-type body* and a teeny -tiny head on those massive shoulders - sigh, at first it was funny but now it just chafes, i keep wanting to get out a pencil and make the head a little bit bigger *twitch*

*reads on*
Well at least they aren't bringing back Jean!Phoenix anytime soon...
(egads these rants are catching aren't they?)

Heeeyyy.... the Exiles are going to the "Heroes Reborn" Universe - I remember that one! it was where the Avengers and FF were shoved Post-Onslaught, and it got flooded or something after they left *rubs hands together* oooOOOOooooh :P

*like in those old ads in comics - anyone remember those?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Good riddance to the current Excalibur. Maybe it would be alright if they just used a different name for the title. After a quick deliberation with the committee where the creative team was pointed out, it is decided that this wouldn't have helped anyway.

I was excited when I heard they were going to bring Excalibur back to Britain and its zany ways. I even hypothesized they'd bring Nocturne back for the team in Nightcrawler's absence. Then I saw her in the newest Uncanny and wept, friends. I wept as Claremont finally got his mits on one of my new favorite characters. She was safe in that abyss, I knew it in my heart. Juggernaut was there to protect her, and everything would be fine.

Then, I heard that she would be in Excalibur! I was very excited! Then I saw that Claremont was writing it. Friends, I must say that this is troubling news, troubling news indeed. I fear the words I used upon learning this frightful truth betrayed a distinct lack of vocabulary beyond the monosyllabic level.

So I must wait, and hope. I must wait for Claremont to leave Excalibur and a more competent writer to take his place. I must hope for Marvel to not cancel the book before this happens. But most of all, friends, I must continue dreaming that Neil Gaiman will write an Excalibur story. Or a Nightcrawler story. Or any story, really.

-idsunki, gazing wistfully at his old Excalibur collection.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

re the Excalibur team... aren't they ALL supposed to be dead or in an alternate dimension?

but, overall... ditto idsunki....
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Bamfette
re the Excalibur team... aren't they ALL supposed to be dead or in an alternate dimension?

but, overall... ditto idsunki....
Cain and Talia are back as of Uncanny #460, Pete faked his death (though how I couldn't tell you), Brian's back in Uncanny #462 and the Ali that died (in New X-Men after I dropped it I believe) was apparently a solid light hologram...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

huh.... ok. haven't been reading Uncanny.

though to add to things... Excalibur was one of the only things by Claremont i really truly enjoyed. I'm just not holding my breath that he captures the same feeling twice....

I am also glad Cain is still on the side of good. Chuck was given 2 options 1. kill him(and Nocturne. she only had one choice.) 2. make him evil again. they wanted a return to status-quo (in that case why they allowed Nocturne to enter the dimension in the first place beats me) he chose 'other' by the dimension sucking thing.... sidestepping it 'killing' them, but with full knowledge it was stupid easy to bring them back.
Dark Stalker
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dark Stalker »

http://www.newsarama.com/wwphilly05/Mar ... ilXMen.htm
Originally posted on Newsarama
Claremont named the lineup for the November-debuting New Excalibur: Nocturne, Juggernaut, Dazzler, Sage, Pete Wisdom, and Captain Britain. The writer said that the new series will go back to basics, as the team takes the responsibility of cleaning up a major repercussion that comes as a result of House of M, adding that the title will be for fans who are looking for cosmic comedy, romance, and adventure in their books. Obviously, it’s set in England as well.

Asked why he chose to use Pete Wisdom (a character created by Warren Ellis), Claremont said he’d been something of a secret admirer of Ellis work, (“even when I wanted to beat him with a stick” Claremont joked) and felt Wisdom was a wonderful character to use. The writer added that things between Wisdom and a “certain brunette” will pick up right away. As for another reason to use Wisdom, Claremont jokingly said that other creators had been stealing his characters for years, so it was time to “steal some back.”

More art from New Excalibur by Michael Ryan (Captain Britain - the male one, Juggernaut, and Dazzler):
*Click for larger version*

My thoughts

Personally I prefer Nocturne barefoot but I can live with the shoes. What's with the Rogue wannabe look it is not a good look people need to stop using it. As for civilian clothes well that's wierd seeing as she's always worn a superhero outfit of some kind.All that being said I'm glad she's back.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Joe Quesada has announced that there will be

"...creator team and character shakeups on the X-titles following House of M..."

Didn't we just go through all that?

Who knows who's gonna be where...and who's gonna be writting and drawing them...
And my answer to that is YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bamf

Ok, so I'm one of those that didn't enjoy every book put out since Reload. As a matter of fact I said last May District X would be a book that wouldn't make it and I've enjoyed that book more than those I thought I would naturally being Claremont. Excalibur was suppose to be Xavier's book but that failed miserably to me. I was hoping for more Xavier/Mags interaction. I failed to see a whole lot of that.

So now we have a New Excalibur on the rise? Juggs and Nocturne back? I give that a thumbs up and hope that the shake up is not as a disappointment as the Reload has been for me.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thanks again, Chuck !
He didn't kill Juggy and Nocturne, and now they're back as heroes !
Yipeeeeee ! :bamf:bamf

This new Excalibur line-up is really, really exciting !!
Though I had hoped the new female Captain Britain could stay...
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Claremont named the lineup for the November-debuting New Excalibur: Nocturne, Juggernaut, Dazzler, Sage, Pete Wisdom, and Captain Britain. The writer said that the new series will go back to basics, as the team takes the responsibility of cleaning up a major repercussion that comes as a result of House of M
Anyone taking bets on how soon into the series he'll lose interest in having the team do clean-up and have them wander off somewhere?

Did anyone ever find Destiny's diaries or did they just drop that plot in the street and pretend it belonged to someone else?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

The number of diaries range from about thirteen to sixteen or something, i forget *sheepish grin*

I think that they found a few, and pretended that the rest were held by that spanish fellow that (temporarily) killed psylocke - although i could be wrong...
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

They finally chose not to find them because they thought future wasn't written.

In fact, it was Kitty Pryde who found them all.
In X-Men: the end, you see she has kept all of them, and that she knows what the (dark) future is holding for the X-Men.

Anyway, I, too, never understood why Claremont decided to stop the search for the missing diaries. It was the heart of the "X-treme X-Men" series. After that, the series had no interest at all.

For Excalibur, we'll see... I really like the team members.
www.atlantys.biz

B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Diablo

For Excalibur, we'll see... I really like the team members.
DITTO!

Well except for PETE WISDOM. Sorry, just never really warmed up to the character. Maybe CC will surprise me kinda in the same way I actually started to enjoy his SAGE.
I'm happy to see JUGGERNAUT on the team! I enjoyed CHUCK's handling of the character. Going to be interesting to see how he and BRIAN (Brian of the famously short temper) get along...=P Anyone want odds on how soon we see a CAPTAIN BRITAIN vs. JUGGERNAUT fight? heh heh heh!
If you'll remember waaaaaaay back in EXCALIBUR vol.1 #4 Juggy was beating the living crap outta CAP until MEGGAN and RACHEL stepped in to save Brian's arse. Now that Cain's powered down it'd be a great opportunity for a little payback...:evil

P.S. I might be in the minority on this but I find myself wishing that MEGGAN was on the squad. (Although i'm sure we'll see her as she is Brian's wife and all!)

BAMF!
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Originally posted on Newsarama
Asked why he chose to use Pete Wisdom (a character created by Warren Ellis), Claremont said he’d been something of a secret admirer of Ellis work, (“even when I wanted to beat him with a stick” Claremont joked) and felt Wisdom was a wonderful character to use. The writer added that things between Wisdom and a “certain brunette” will pick up right away. As for another reason to use Wisdom, Claremont jokingly said that other creators had been stealing his characters for years, so it was time to “steal some back.”
Sent by Warren Ellis on BAD SIGNAL
please DON'T all continue to rush to tell
me that Chris Claremont's bringing back my old Pete
Wisdom character. He's not my character, I don't own
him, and if Chris can wring some more mileage out
of a character who is basically Jack Regan out of
"The Sweeney" stuck in a superhero comic and made
to play James Bond (seriously. That was pretty much the
entire thought process), then good luck to him.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Originally posted by B A M F !

P.S. I might be in the minority on this but I find myself wishing that MEGGAN was on the squad. (Although i'm sure we'll see her as she is Brian's wife and all!)

BAMF!
I'm right there with ya on that one, Bamfaroonie! I miss Meggan!

I honestly didn't read any of the newish Excalibur because to me it just didn't sound right. This line up seems promising, and a return to at least some of the original Excalibur characters (or their kids from alternate dimensions) could be very cool.

And, BTW, in case I haven't done this yet.... *BAMF gets giant Slarti bear hug* It's awesome to have you back!!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I agree with you too, Bamf.
I'm not a fan of Pete Wisdom either.

I don't understand why Meggan won't be part of the team, if Brian is back.
Perhap's something will happen to her in the House of M crossover... :eek
www.atlantys.biz

B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Crawler
Sent by Warren Ellis on BAD SIGNAL
a character who is basically Jack Regan out of
"The Sweeney" stuck in a superhero comic and made
to play James Bond (seriously. That was pretty much the
entire thought process), then good luck to him.
Wow... C, I never really thought of WISDOM in that way! That's actually pretty cool if ya think about it. One of the things that cooled me off on him was his relationship with KITTY. Not sure why that bothered me so much but I couldnt stand the two of em together ... :X

Oh and Double DITTO SLARTI!!
It's really great to see ya old buddy .... Image

I miss MEGGAN a lot...

^^LOL!
I'm betting (hoping!) she's going to be kind of an 'unofficial' 6th team member. If she is prominent in the book i'm curious to see how her and Nocturne interact with each other.

Originally posted by Diablo

Perhap's something will happen to her in the House of M crossover... :eek
Oh, man D I really hope not....:(
I was surprised at how attatched I got to the character during EXCALIBUR's original run. Her innocence and naivete were so endearing to me. Ya know...now that I think about it the old Excalibur Meggan in some ways kinda reminds of STARFIRE from the awesome TEEN TITANS cartoon series...

BAMF!
Tonks Kittygoth
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Tonks Kittygoth »

He he he I totaly can see Megan and the tv starfire!

I love her, hopefully she will do a Jean and show up.

YEA for Pete Wisdom. He Rocks! He always reminded me of a John Constintine rip off, but hell, he was COOL.

Also kinda reminds me of someone from the English Gangster movies, you know Layer Cake, Snatch, Lock stock and 2 shooting barrels... or Clive Owen in The Hire.

I love Kitty, but she isnt cool enough for him, maybe now she is grown up more.

IF anyone can fake thier death, he could do it.

----Dances around in a happy Pete Wisdom isnt dead dance.-----
Whatever doesnt kill you, makes you stronger. - Marcus Aurelius
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

I've gotta say I came away from it a little disappointed.

Hey, let's go check up on Brian for no real reason, because there aren't a million more important things to do in the wake of the House of M! Speaking of, it doesn't look like Meggan is going to make it into this one.

A friend of mine read it and just kind of looked at me, then said it was pretty obvious Claremont was just doing this one for the paycheck, and I can't really disagree. Ah well, it saves me the money of picking it up every month.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by idsunki
I've gotta say I came away from it a little disappointed.

Hey, let's go check up on Brian for no real reason, because there aren't a million more important things to do in the wake of the House of M! Speaking of, it doesn't look like Meggan is going to make it into this one.

A friend of mine read it and just kind of looked at me, then said it was pretty obvious Claremont was just doing this one for the paycheck, and I can't really disagree. Ah well, it saves me the money of picking it up every month.
Agreed....I'm not digging it one bit...

Claremont of late has proven for me to be not quite so connected with comics today. His stories are not character driven, they are action driven. His plots have little mystery, instead he explains every little thing and spoon feeds you every detail. What little mystery there is tends to not be enough to draw you in. I always tend to feel rather isolated by his work....

I also am very VERY wary being the numero uno Nocturne fan i am. He hasn't shown any grasp on her character at all in Uncanny, and has shown even less in New Excalibur. It's as if he has no idea what to do with her...he doesn't seem to know her powers, nor does he know her as a character at all. Nocturne's character was built completely separate of her already popular fathers character. In Exiles, her character matured and grew into a completely separate entity, something that is difficult for "child of-" characters. She faced alot, went through alot, and now, she's lost all her dimension and has been simplified to simply "Nightcrawlers Daughter." I'm gonna read a bit more, because I won't give up on my favorite character that quickly. But Nocturne is a character who completely reflects my generation (us 20-25 yr olds)...and Claremont is a writer who has proven he is completely out of touch with us.....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Ya, I couldn't understand why they had to go see Brian with all that is going on at home. But I'm willing to give this title a chance as with all the new titles that are coming out.
It's as if he has no idea what to do with her...he doesn't seem to know her powers, nor does he know her as a character at all.
Doesn't this sound like it has "Jubilee" written all over it? They depowered her basically because they didn't know what to do with her in the X books. Now with no powers she will probably fade into obscurity with all the former mutants. Luckily, Nocturne still has hers.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

It's so sad as a Nocturne fan to sit back and watch her lose what I loved about her to begin with :(

And it seems like alot of readers don't know her from anything but what Claremont has done with her......*sigh*

What can you do?
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Sorry, but I kinda liked the first new new Excalibur.

What's funny is that Claremont is creating new "old X-Men", when everyone (a.k.a. Quesada and Bendis) has depowered a lot of his creations.
Quite well done.

Also, this new Excalibur title is, for me, the sequel to the old team's adventures... and to Chuck Austen's runs on Uncanny and Avengers (with Juggernaut, Nocturne, and really soon, Lionheart as a guest-star).

... and the art is just excellent. Kurt should always be in black ! :)
www.atlantys.biz

idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

See, a lot of reasons you just listed are things I'm frightened of.

I really liked Austen's run with Juggernaut and such, and I'm going to go out on a perhaps unpopular branch and say that Claremont's current work has nothing on Austen's Uncanny run.

I am incredibly sympathetic to your concerns, Nacht. That scene with her band in her mind? With lyrics like that... yikes. Just yikes.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Originally posted by idsunki
See, a lot of reasons you just listed are things I'm frightened of.

I really liked Austen's run with Juggernaut and such, and I'm going to go out on a perhaps unpopular branch and say that Claremont's current work has nothing on Austen's Uncanny run.
You never know what to expect from Chris Claremont.
For instance, X-Men : the end is soooooo boring ! :Z

His take on Uncanny isn't as exciting as Austen's, I agree, but I still like it. I suspect the new new Excalibur could turn out pretty well, but I'm always optimistic...

Anyway, better see Juggy and Nocturne used in a series, than in comics limboes, I say !
www.atlantys.biz

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

It just gets worse.

I don't know whats worse; the cliche action dialogue("once you don these helmets, your corruption will be complete"), the horrible horrible attempted use of slang (grrl??!!!), or the inexplicable cameo of Harry, Hermione, and Ron?!!

I think I'm also going to mention the overuse of accent on Cain ("hit onna x-man", "cyclops anna red head" etc.)

And once again, it becomes sickeningly clear that Nocturne completely escapes Claremont. He has absolutely no clue how to write her, or what to do with her....

This whole arc was ridiculous and confusing. What the hell were these people? And it wrapped up pretty neatly and quickly for all the build up. Ugh...

What's truly sad, Claremont has a legacy that this stuff is just tarnishing. I remember thinking about him as this icon, now I see him as this once great writer who's time has long passed, but is trying desperately to hold onto it. Were he a musician, these would be his Las Vegas days....