The NEW NEW Excalibur (with Nocturne, etc.)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I actually went out and read (skimmed) the last couple issues of this book because someone (Nacht) told me that Tieri was writing it now. I love Tieri.

His first issue brought back his excellent Wolverine run (except for no Sean Chen :() so I'm going to be picking this one up now. He's already starting to establish some direction which it didn't seem to have before. I don't really like most of the NEX team (That's not fair of me. I don't even know who's actually on the team.) but he didn't give any of them any lines so we're off to a good start.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

LOL

I'm hating this camelot thing coming up. Why are they going back in time again??
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Hey Nacht, I heard this from comixfan but, in the next NEX issue, Nocturne uses her Hex Bolts. I hope it's true :)
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

(just thought I'd move this to the slightly more appropriate forum, continue on, nothing to see here)

Yeah, that'd be pretty sweet if the hex bolts show back up. That puts Nocturne on a Spider-Man (pre-Iron Spider costume) power level, which is where I really like my heroes to be.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

So, I have to admit, I liked the camelot issues. They were pretty good. And the new arc? REALLY good. I never thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to the next issue! However, I'm not looking forward to CC returning. Cause it's doubtful this good stuff will continue.

I liked the last issue alot. TJ was TJ! And the catfight? Brilliant. I know the answer to this is most probably "no" but is anyone else still reading??
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

I actually started reading in a 'cool, New Excalibur out!' way instead of a 'wonder how bad it will be this time...' way once the new writer came on.

The Camelot was a bit of fun. I liked the parallel between that and one of Wisdom's comments in his solo book (go buy it!). This new part is really cool too, can't wait to see if Juggernaut can be redeemed. We'll see...
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
However, I'm not looking forward to CC returning.
I was thinking about trying it again but now... no. Fuck it. What's the point? :(

Why is he returning???
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

The only reason he stopped writing his titles at Marvel was because of poor health.

Fortunately, he's getting better.

I just wish they gave these 'fill in' writers a more permanent post.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

Why is he returning???
To sink Exiles and NEX....

It's really depressing. Because here FINALLY we are seeing TJ acting somewhat close to how she should, and in two issues she'll be back to the annoying teenager CC writes her as. Unless by some MIRACLE he sees the error in his past ways and writes her as Tieri has been. But then...we know thats not going to happen.

I don't know why they don't just keep Tieri. NEX has been doing better with him on the book.
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

Have you read #16??!!!
All I can say is there's a lot of TJ. and in the next one is going to be too.
And the story is.. both weird and sad.
I need to see the next issue!!! :O
:?
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The story is pointless so far. I'm tired and depressed over this, so I'm gonna cross post what I posted at Xfan:

(RE: The stroke being done to make people care about TJ): I just wish it didn't take a major incident to make people care, rather CC wrote her the way she has been written in the past. If this was just a ploy to get people to care about the character, then that's pretty shallow.

Otherwise...as I said, I'm really confused as to what this is for. I'll see what comes of it, but so far it just seems out of the blue. Nocturne's still OOC but it seems like talking about that gets us nowhere. So I'll just become resolute in the fact I won't see her back to the way she was again, and it certainly seems like this stroke is not going to help get her back to who she was (if anything, it's a way to write her far from who she was).

I found the dialogue kind of lame, especially all the thoughts at the end (all that "I know they're my team mates, but why don't I know their NAMES?!" stuff). It's just excessively dramatic at times, but it seems thats CC's style. Meh, it doesn't make it bad, it's just not my cup of tea..

What's sad is that for the first time ever I may be dropping a book that includes Nocturne. I own every single issue she ever appeared in but I'm beginning to wonder how worth it it is anymore. Tieri was such a nice glimpse back at who she was, and I got really hopeful. But it's just depressing. Nothing against CC as a writer, or as a person or what have you. He just...can't write Nocturne. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. And this is one of his weaknesses. No biggie, I just wish it wasn't my favorite character :(

Actually, I'm going to add to it too. Shallow doesnt even begin to describe. It's not shallow. It's poor writing. It doesn't HAVE to take a huge incident like this to make you care about a character. But if there's one thing CC doesnt get, it's subtlety.

Which is also evident in her teammates calling her Talia. HELLO!! Who ever called her Talia? John and James (as she told us). Granted, thats another bit of subtlety CC doesnt get but it's subtlety thats already in place, so why change it?? She's TJ unless you're banging her, basically (to put it not so tenderly). It's a piece of canon I borrowed for her for the RP, and something I liked alot, and ANOTHER thing CC has taken! JESUS the character rape DOESNT END!
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

Post by kurtc »

Wasn't overly thrilled with this weeks New Excalibur. Seemed to be missing something.:nocturneThe coloring was a bit odd too I thought.

[Edited on 4/4/07 by kurtc]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

FINALLY some good news!! http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

The important part:
I understand that "Wisdom" author (you know, "Wisdom," the best current Marvel book that nobody bought?), "Doctor Who" Hugo nominee (and writer of the tip top "Human Nature" episode that just aired and the "Family Of Blood" episode airing next week), "Robin Hood" writer (he of the "I shot the sherriff" "No, you shot the deputy" line) and newly-appointed contributor to "Primeval's" second series (the cliffhanger episode of which did the kind of time travel logic that you wish "Doctor Who" would do and on that topic when will New Who get round to adapting Steven Moffat's "Continuity Errors" anyway?) Paul Cornell (see, I knew we'd get here eventually, I wonder what the rumour is, it had better be good after this build up, now where did I put my cheese?) is the new writer on Marvel Comics' "Excalibur".
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Brilliant.

Bad news? Nocturne is still going to Exiles :bawl :bawl :bawl