The NEW NEW Excalibur (with Nocturne, etc.)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

heh. I thought Wanda's hex bolts were energy bolts in addition to her probability altering powers. Guess I should have read that closer.

It's too bad they're not getting TJ's character right :( You'd think they'd let her keep the energy blasts since the possession power sounds like it would be used less often. And her telepathy isn't supposed to be all that powerful. (Though I wouldn't mind if they forgot about the retractable tail :P)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Yes Nacht I learned it from you, but the public needed to be informed.... :P
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Yeah, its the sh!ttiest development I have ever seen. Why?? WHY????!!! It makes no sense whatsoever.......As far as I heard, it was because they misunderstood what TJs hex bolts were and thought they were probability altering and wanted to get rid of that power in canon...to stop any more craziness from happening again....
Or it could be because they decided she was "too powerful" like they did with Kurt when they removed his shadow blending. Cause seriously, they can easily prevent any further craziness by simply veto-ing any crazy ass plots someone tries to pass. They don't need to totally cut it off like that.

"Too powerful." What a joke.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

NEX #5 puts yet another unexplained villan in the arena, where's the Crazy Gang and Technet, I'm sure some fans are begging for 'em. :P

As a side note, NEX had 58,333 first issues shipped and was 27th on rank, then for the second issue the had 48,816 shipped, nearly 10 thousands book drop and it fell to , then NEX 3 fell to 47,196, not a bad drop but still a worrisome for fans of the book, I mean if this continues it's not gonna last much longer.

[Edited on 3/2/2006 by confusedelf]
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Didn't the Crazy Gang and the Technet get happy endings?

The Crazy Gang paired up with JoyBoy and went to live in that Alice and Wonderland fantasy world and the Technet left earth with...someone :?

I'd like to see New Excalibur be its own book without bringing back too many recycled enemies. (They need their own!)

But, if some of the classic villains wanted to make some sort of cameo.... I wouldn't mind that ;)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by chicory

I'd like to see New Excalibur be its own book without bringing back too many recycled enemies. (They need their own!)
AMEN sister! I'm personally done with this "Excalibur rehashed!" because so far, it's pretty well the same book as it was 20 years ago. It ain't gonna work!

I see on Xfan all the time people posting about bringing in old Excalibur characters. Why do people want old Excalibur? I understand it was great and everyone loved it, but come on! This is NEW Excalibur, lets have something NEW about it!

And, I predict it'll be canceled by the 12th issue.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Okay, I finally read the first four issues last night and I'm taking the non-popular stance. I kinda like it. It is awfully fast-paced (but that seems to be every X book I've seen in the last five years) and I could do without some of Claremont's over-explanation, buuuuuut, the moments like the return of Courtney Ross, the Harry Potter cameo and the Warwolves did ring true to me to the old Excalibur. Old Excalibur was cheesy at times, but it was meant to be, so, I see nothing wrong with a little cheese in the new one. I'm going to give it a few more issues.

That said, yes, T.J. is off and Kurt was speaking like he'd forgotten English.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Meh, I'm still not too hot on this book...but looking at the preview...

WOOO! Sexy Nocturne is back! (A bit...whatever, she's hot again...)

It's funny...because seeing this, and rereading old Exiles...something becomes very clear about whats been bothering me about her NEX makeover...(other than the stupid hair and ridic dumbed/younged down personality) She is wearing FAR too many clothes! Like, TJ typically wore next to NOTHING for 50 some odd issues of Exiles...Well, twasn't that risque (except the outfit in the So Lame arc? Which was basically some straps and a loin cloth? :naughty)....

I want sexy leather goddess TJ back :bawl. This is getting closer. Now just make her 20 again....

[Edited on 16/6/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Or it could be because they decided she was "too powerful" like they did with Kurt when they removed his shadow blending. Cause seriously, they can easily prevent any further craziness by simply veto-ing any crazy ass plots someone tries to pass. They don't need to totally cut it off like that.

"Too powerful." What a joke.
That always bothered the hell out of me...Storm could be this all-powerful weather witch...Polaris could sever magnetic ties and hurl islands into space...Jean could be the embodiment of life itself...but Kurt couldn't teleport AND disappear into shadows because it made him too powerful? But somehow it was okay for Psylocke to be a kick-arse telepathic ninja and actually merge with shadows and travel through them...though, she did get that power removed too...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

But now she can 'shatter mountains' with a punch.. when was this new rule made anyway, cause he blended into shadows during his book:(
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
But now she can 'shatter mountains' with a punch.. when was this new rule made anyway, cause he blended into shadows during his book:(
It was ages ago...so long ago it's probably been forgotten by TPTB (yah!)...so it's crept back in...Alan Davis did an in-depth analysis of Kurt's multiple gifts during his Excalibur run...he even explained the limited invisibility thing...but he made the agility the result of ‘lots of hard work’ and not an actual mutation, that was probably to appease them...

[Edited on 17-6-2006 by Nandireya]

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Didn't it also have something to do with his abnormal skeleton? I think his spine was a lot more flexible, at least.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by confusedelf
where's the Crazy Gang and Technet, I'm sure some fans are begging for 'em. :P
Dude, I am.

The Crazy Gang and Technet issues of Excalibur are hilarious. I mean, the Crazy Gang may be the silliest villians in comics ever! (And comics has A LOT of silly villians.) And the whole thing with the Technet rebuilding the lighthouse and having to stop once a day and beat each other to a pulp still makes me laugh. (That, and that anti-grav elevator thing that accidently shot Captain Britain through the roof...) C'mon, the Technet had a giant drag queen named "Gatecrasher" as their leader! It was ridiculous, but in a really great way.

Maybe what's so great about the old Excalibur books is that they didn't take themselves seriously at all. I mean, how could you with a giant drag queen named Gatecrasher? I stopped reading NEX at issue 3 so I could be wrong and it could be changing, but it seems like this new version does take itself seriously and the result is just not Excalibur...

-e
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

I think one of this biggest problems with this book is the question "WTF are these people doing in England?!" hasn't even been answered. I mean, on the team, there are two British characters....and Americans (except Sage, who I have no clue. Is she? I dunno. She's not British though). Also, like, half the team has yet to even interact with the other half. All the issues have basically been "Here's what Sager and Pete are up to, uh oh, look what Captain Britians doing, and OH NO who are TJ, Cain, and Ali fighting now!" Like, how is that a team?? It makes no sense..
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Also, like, half the team has yet to even interact with the other half. All the issues have basically been "Here's what Sager and Pete are up to, uh oh, look what Captain Britians doing, and OH NO who are TJ, Cain, and Ali fighting now!" Like, how is that a team?? It makes no sense..
There was a little interaction when they were 'setting up house'...TJ tried to get the drop on Brian and failed...I so wanted him to say something like: "I used to spar with your father...you're going to have to try much harder than that..."

Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

I think one of this biggest problems with this book is the question "WTF are these people doing in England?!" hasn't even been answered. I mean, on the team, there are two British characters....and Americans (except Sage, who I have no clue. Is she? I dunno. She's not British though). Also, like, half the team has yet to even interact with the other half. All the issues have basically been "Here's what Sager and Pete are up to, uh oh, look what Captain Britians doing, and OH NO who are TJ, Cain, and Ali fighting now!" Like, how is that a team?? It makes no sense..

While the main/die hard supporters of NEX complain that it has about as much point as other X-teams I think their reasoning is weak.
In other words I agree with you :)

[Edited on 6/19/2006 by confusedelf]
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Sage is from the middle east. Afganistan if I recall correctly.

That still doesn't help answer the WTF are these people doing in Britain question, I know, but there it is.

-e
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by Saint Kurt

That still doesn't help answer the WTF are these people doing in Britain question, I know, but there it is.
Yeah....they all just kinda...went. And....stayed. Thats it. There's NO reason whatsoever for any of them to be there, save Pete and Brian...

I'm trying to recall what the deal was. Dazzler was performing...and Sage was around England already..and TJ and Juggs showed up with the Xmen for some reason. And they all just decided to stay. Like.....yeah. Let's just stay! For some reason...

One of the things on Xfan I keep seeing is like "Well, none of the other books have a real reason either"...yeah, they don't..really. But....the characters have a REASON to BE where they are! Like....All the other books take place at Xaviers, and the reason for the team is a little less important. Cause...like, what else would they do? Ohhhh shit guys! Xmen #480, you will be on the edge of your seats as Remy takes on Piotr in Super Smash Bros! And the tension will rise as Kitty notices one of her granola bars missing and suspecting Rogue, dumps all her Red Bulls down the sink!

Anyway, NEX needs just THAT much more purpose than the others. IMO that is. I mean, Cain is like...pretty hated in England. Yet, he stays...

OK, next topic. This upcoming love triangle.....ummm...hmmm
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I haven't picked up an issue of this book (and judging by the reviews you're all giving it, I shouldn't anytime soon) but I do want to read the upcoming issue with Chamber cause he was starting to become one of my favorite characters before he got all.. decimated. Hopefully that issue will shed some light on how he's gonna survive with a gaping hole in his chest and maybe *cough retcon cough* give him some way of actually leaving the hospital bed (that doesn't involve putting him in a casket) :chamber :shifty
Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

I think one of this biggest problems with this book is the question "WTF are these people doing in England?!" hasn't even been answered.
Well they could have just decided they liked being there? Its kinda a lame answer, but sometimes thats how people becoming expats. (thats what happend in my case. Originally I just moved to Vienna for just 1 year and then I was supposed to go back to the US. It has now been 4 years and I just bought an appartment here, so it does not look like I will be going back anytime soon). Neither Cain, Tj, or Ali have very many ties to the US so why not start up a life somewhere else? It would be nice though if they would explore their reasons for staying more deeply though.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Cain is a Dazzler fan isn't he? Maybe he wants to follow her on her European Tour and be her bodyguard. TJ's tagging along cause Cain's the only person (besides Kurt, though I doubt they'd be on the same team) who she has so wherever he goes, she follow
STEPHANEGARRELIE
Lubber
Lubber

Post by STEPHANEGARRELIE »

:) I enjoy this serie.
I'm a fan of Dazzler, Juggy, and Sage . I like Cap Britain (though I preffer his original red costume with Richard the lyonhart armories on it)
I'm relatively new to Nocturne, but she's a cool character.
I never liked Wisdom, but in this book he isn't too much of a problem so far.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

I just can't wait for the team to actually DO something. Far too many guest stars in a book thats, what, 9 issues long? Can't we start focusing on the team?? I love Chamber, don't get me wrong, but after coming off a plot which focused on Black Tom, then a guest appearance by Psylocke which did nothing but make NEX look pretty incompetent by comparrison (why did they need Psylocke to save the day? NEX could have taken out the Shadow King easy! It just seems like NEX is the book where everyones setting up shit about other characters while the characters in the book just sit by the sidelines. and FUCK Nocturne is a GREAT fucking character who hasn't been written to her potential since Exiles. Like, WHY?! Why let a character basically stagnate when there are plently of things to write about?! UGH!

So, now we have an arc about the Black Knight. Can NEX speak in this one? Maybe??
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

From the cover, it looks like TJ is wearing a jester's sort of outfit. Now, I understand this might be worrisome at first, but in Shakespeare the Fool always got the best lines.

...of course, a good amount of them ended up dead...
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Saint Kurt
Sage is from the middle east. Afganistan if I recall correctly.
Huh?! Whitest Afghan EVER!!!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir