Bachalo on Uncanny!

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Entropy »

Bachalo gets art duties on Uncanny!
http://www.newsarama.com/wwphilly05/Mar ... ilXMen.htm

it also appears that new excalibur is Pete Wisdom, Juggernaut, Cap Britian (male), Dazzler, and Nocturne!
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X-News from Wizard World Philly

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Aw, craptastic!!!

Now I'm really upset. Between this and the news about X-3, this has NOT been a good day for this X-fan. :bawl

I loath Bachalo, especially his Kurt. Only Tan was worse IMHO. I can see where I'm going to be cancelling my Uncanny subscription, especially if Claremont decides to go too. :evil

At least there's still Darick's Nightcrawler. I hope the solo lasts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Yes...talk about a contrast...Chris Bachalo's hook-nosed freak and Darick's gorgeous charmer....

But Chris's AOA Kurt wasn't too bad...just too skinny...and what the heck happened to his facial tattoo? Did he grow his fur out so that it covered it?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

Silly me. Here I was, thinking "Oh they'll never find a worthy replacement for Alan Davis on Uncanny..." My Bad. Guess who got the job? Chris Bachalo!!!:shocked Now that makes me happy! And by the way, don't forget to check out the Excalibur previews...It seems Marvel have finaly realized Excalibur isn't Excalibur without some form of crawlage...and at least two limeys;)
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Nandireya »

Joe Quesada has announced that there will be

"...creator team and character shakeups on the X-titles following House of M..."

Didn't we just go through all that?

Who knows who's gonna be where...and who's gonna be writting and drawing them...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Crawler »

WEll, looks like I'll make up for Nandy's dropping of Uncanny by picking it up myself. Sadly, I will likely be willfully ignoring the plot and dialogue, but Bachalo is damn near my favorite artist in comics.

It's too damned pretty to not pick up.

That said, I'm also a HUGE fan of Darick and his Nightcrawler...and I don't see the two versions as 'conflicting visions' or anything. I like art that has style and a sense of individuality...and both Darick and Bachalo fall into that category.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Entropy »

I love Alan Davis and was very devastated to learn he was off the book.

However, I do enjoy Bachalo. So while i may be unhappy about Davis leaving, at least i get another artist who is in my top slots.

A quick question ot two for those who don't like Bachalo. Do you just dislike his new more caricuture (sp??) style, or that his new art is so 'busy', or is it something else? I'm just curious, i can understand why some dislike his newer style.

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Bamfette »

I love Bachalo, for much the same reasons as C. I love art that has an individual flair, and his has that in spades. I don't like clone artists that just try and look like everyone else. Art can be distinctive and not appeal to me, but that's not the case here... Bachalo's art is unique, he tells the story well, and i think it's very nice looking.

and Entropy... I dunno, but one reason i have seen people in the past cite is thatbecause his new style is 'cartoony' as opposed to realistic. some people (apparently) think cartoony is... i dunno, not appropriate for comics or means the artist is 'slacking off'

to the latter, let me tell you, cartooning or stylizing art to look something other than rreal is NOT slacking off, it is NOT easy. Bachalo's work is incredibly detailed, and i am sure he puts as much time into drawing it as more representational artists.

but others i have seen just don't like how he makes the characters look, and that's just a 'cup of tea' thing....
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Entropy,
You were interested in why some of us hold the opinions we do about Bachalo, so here you are.

I enjoy more realistic art, and always have- much more than stylized, especially the sharp angles Bachalo employs. I have never been a fan of the modern art style, and while some stylized art is fine, I prefer curves to rough planes. Humans are not rectangles and triangles, they are circles and curves. Although, I must admit I didn't mind the pics I've seen of the newest AOA so much as I did his earlier work.

And besides, I am a hetero female and I want a drool worthy Kurt. In my opinion, Bachalo's Nightcrawler is a horror to look at. I do and always will prefer Alan Davis over any other comic artist I've seen, although Darick and Land (especially the cover with Kurt in front of the stained glass window) I also like very much.

To each his own I guess, but that doesn't make me any happier and I hope he has a very short run, because if the teams are reloaded yet again and CC is taken off Uncanny, I will be dropping it like a hot potato.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

He's replacing Davis? As if Uncanny's art style hasn't changed enough... since 450, the art has been changing about every other issue and Kurt hasn't been drawn well in the past few issues. I base the artists abilities on how well they draw my favorite characters, and Bachalo's styke is hard to look at, especially his Kurt. I hope this isn't permanent, because Bachalo's art was hard to look at in AoA (I couldn't distinguish anything in that book)... God forbid Nightcrawler is cancelled, I hope that Darick would take over in Uncanny.:bamf
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Darick has already assured us up to issue twelve for The NC solo series...after that we'll see.

I have to agree with Crawler and Elwing, Bachalo is a great artist (IMO). Sure, I was devastated when I heard Alan Davis was leaving, he's my all time favorite, but I also like Bachalo. His art is fresh, I think that's a good word to describe it. It's different than anybody elses style, distinguishable. That's why I like it. I like many styles, maybe because I draw alot and because a lot of my friends do as well, I am used to seeing all kinds of styles. I don't want to buy dozens of comics pencilled by the same person for the next who-knows-how-many years (though I find it hard to say about Alans art) I like the variety of styles, some less than others, but it's refreshing. I'm sure after a bit I will momentarily get sick of Bachalo's art, let a new artist take a shot, then be happy to see him back again.

Peace!:flower
one name: Bruce Campbell
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Darkholme »

I enjoy Bachalo's art probably 95% of the time. That other 5% would be Steampunk, which I'm pretty sure was busy for the sake of being busy.

One thing Bachalo's art needs though is a top notch colorist. Someone who can distinguish between foreground and background and use an appropriate color pallette to distinguish the two. I still think one of his best works was the first Death mini, and that's over 10 years old!

And yeah, sad to see Alan go, especially before he finishes the Captain Britain 4 parter (and would have REALLY wanted to see him do the issue that came out this past week...the art seemed a little unfinished on all fronts - pencils, inks and colors - and SO much happened in it, to boot!)
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by BAMFCentral »

:) Very excited to hear Kurt will be drawn once again by Bachalo. Really enjoyed his art of the elf on his last all but to brief run on the book. Though I wish Davis could have stayed on a bit longer :(
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Entropy »

For those who dislike Bachalo, i sympathize. I understand what it's like to have an artist you're not fond of on a title you like.

Shadow Dancer- Guess you don't like Humberto Ramos :)

Bamfette- 'Cartoony' viewed as slacking? that's just wrong. I can understand having a preference but that is ridiculous.

Darkholme- Bachalo also needs a good inker. I think Tim Townsend is the best inker for Bachalo, in fact i think Tim inks Bachalo better than Bachalo inks himself.

Personally i enjoy both realistic (Alan Davis and Larroca), and stylistic (Bachalo and Humberto Ramos).
so who would peoples ideal artist for uncanny be?
who would you prefer not to see (whether it be because of dislike or because you feel their style is not suited)?

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Entropy
so who would peoples ideal artist for uncanny be?
who would you prefer not to see (whether it be because of dislike or because you feel their style is not suited)?
I would like to see Greg Land on it, that would be cool or Silvestri.
I think the only person I don't want to see pencil again is the one guy who worked on the Draco arc on the few issues in it, can't for the life of me remember his name. (I know there were, like, 3 artists on it...the one I'm talking about went wild with the penciling)Only because there seemed to be so many mistakes with those issues.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Bamfette »

Entropy - it should be ridiculous... but i have seen people say it in exactly those words... and in regards to Bachalo specifially. that he's been 'slacking off' since he switchd to a more cartoony style. i think they see a lack of fine, intricate detail and equate that with less work, not realizing all that is needed to cartoon well. It's a lot easier to copy a cartoon drawing than a realistic one, but it is just as hard to di it from scratch where you have to understand the rules and methods employed by cartoonists to design and construct the characters and overall drawings...

oh, and Humberto Ramos... :love

as for 'ideal' I think it depends on the tone, not the characters or property. I remember discussing this somewhere else... but for an example, Ashley Wood...he would not have fit on, for instance, the first Excalibur. could you imagine? his extremely dark, scratchy art on something so lighthearted and silly? it would have felt wrong. Ashely Wood is a fine artist, but he needs something more dark to shine. Uncanny though, falls more in the middle in terms of tone. it can be silly, it can be dark. so i think they need someone who covers a range, and can be versatile. many of the more 'mainstream' artists can fit the bill (and i think Bachalo does fit nicely. he can be on the dark side in terms of actual shading and mood, but there is a sense of humor to his art, and he can lighten it up very well) someone very dark or very light and fluffy would be too far in the extremes...

anyway. that's my way of saying i think a lot of people would fit... just not those at the extremes. but depending on the writer and tone they take, some may fit better than others.

that, and they have to actually follow the script and be able to tell a story with their art... there are some artists that have very pretty art that can't do this....
Arcane-angel
Lubber
Lubber

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Arcane-angel »

Personally I would love Alan Davis to stay on (finding out he's leaving really upseted me) Buuuuut right off the top of my head I think Salvador Larocca is an excellent artist for the job His Nightcrawler is :love

But I seriously don't want to see the guy who did the final ish of the draco Takeshi Miyazawa. He just comPLETLY threw off the mood of that arc! Phillip Tan wasn't bad and his art was great for the arc (Though i severly disliked his Kurt) But come on!

Rob Garney (Holy War) another artist the makes me mad, needs to learn that Nightcrawlers tail doesn't grow outta his ass!!
Who flippin agrees with me?
"I've got a dungeon masters guide
I've gotta twelve sided dice
I've got kitty pryde
and nightcrawler too
waiting there for me
yes I do"
~"In the garage" Weezer
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

The way I define a good artist is usually how they draw Nightcrawler, and I haven't seen a good Nightcrawler in a while... 450 was good, but the color was too bright, and as far as I remember 452-545 were good, but after 455, Kurt began looking really old and odd... I think Kurt looked good in the She Lies with Angels arc, (which was the first one I ever read)... I just hope Bacholo isn't permanent, because I don't really like his style..:bamf
Arcane-angel
Lubber
Lubber

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Arcane-angel »

She lies with angels was Salvador Larocca. One of my fave recent arcs even though I missing a few issues. (they're hard to come by where I live)

I think what one way to define them is thier ability to adapt to Characters, moods, and so on.

I guess Nightcrawler really throws them off. So they make up thier own version because usually the recent artists never give him curly hair. its usually spiked or dark blue, not at all like Dave Cockrum's original.

Bachalo isn't a bad artist but looking at his Nightcrawler is going to have me cringing through the comic.
I've got kitty pryde
and nightcrawler too
waiting there for me
yes I do"
~"In the garage" Weezer
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Saint Kurt »

I swear I had a post in here, but it's nowhere to be found... And I can't remember what I thought I said except that it was along the lines of if you want Darick's Nightcrawler to last, you must must must buy single issues and not wait for the trade to come out. Even though Bamfette gives a very good argument for waiting for the trades and I agree with her. Unfortunately Marvel is dumb and they gauge the sucess of a book on the monthly sales of the single issues. (At a time when trades are increasing in popularity and it seems evident that Marvel knows it given that they are releaseing more and more of them with ever increasing frequency, it's hard for me to believe that they continue to adhere to the archaic business model of single issue sales. Yet, there it is. Go figure. They should listen to Jill.) I think that's what I thought I said.

Here I'll even sign it.

-e

Okay, on to my new post:

On the subject of Bachalo - I like his art a lot. I too am of the opinion that an artist's work should be dripping with personality and when I open something that Bachalo's drawn, the personality spills out of the book, gets all over my clothes and hands, and I need a napkin. So I'm kind of looking forward to seeing his work on Uncanny. I like Alan Davis, but I like change too.

Salvador Larocca's art is okay. Sometimes I like it and other times it doesn't light my fire. I think it's because often it's the pairing of artist and writer that's exciting to me and not one or the other. For instance, the Claremont-Davis partnership on Excalibur was just magical for me, but not so much on Uncanny. One of the things that made Transmetropolitan so great is the obvious synergy between Darick Robertson and Warren Ellis. I think Larocca's modern storybook illustration style really works with Chuck Austen's writing and that's what made She Lies with Angels work as well as it did. I got to talk to Chuck Austen at SDCC last year and we had a short conversation about the pencils on the Draco and it sounded like the working relationship was really strained. I think you can see that on the page. It makes me wish Larocca drew all of Austen's work because they really seem to have chemistry that works.

Interesting point about Nightcrawler's hair though Arcane-Angel. In recent memory only Darick's Nightcrawler has had curly locks. hmmm.

-e
Arcane-angel
Lubber
Lubber

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by Arcane-angel »

Yes! And I love him for it! Someone who actually did their research properly. I mean if an artist can remember to draw Havoks scar or Rogues white streaks you think they can remember something as simple as curly hair

Or where the tail goes atleast!!!!

And I agree with the Chuck/Larocca pairing. It really seems to work. It would have been interesting if he would have drawn the Draco series.
(suddenly thinks of larocca's kurt nekkid like he was for alot of the arc)
:naughty
I've got kitty pryde
and nightcrawler too
waiting there for me
yes I do"
~"In the garage" Weezer
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Orininally posted by Zamweasel
I too am of the opinion that an artist's work should be dripping with personality and when I open something that Bachalo's drawn, the personality spills out of the book, gets all over my clothes and hands, and I need a napkin.
Wow, Z, that almost registers as 'dirty' in my head.:LOL
But I totally agree with that.
I can't wait for the next issues with Bachalo.

As for Larroca....meh. I can take him or lose him. I like his cover art and love his penciling, but, I dunno. I guess I'm not real big on how the inside pages are because of the way things are inked and colored...but Arcane-Angel is right, he does draw a hot Nightcrawler, but then again on one of his covers, I couldn't tell if TJ was on it or NC with long hair:shrug
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Bachalo on Uncanny!

Post by B A M F ! »

When I heard that ALAN DAVIS was leaving Uncanny I was absolutely crushed....:surprise
I experienced the same nauseating ache in my stomache i'd felt years ago the two times he left the original EXCALIBUR series :(
Easily one of the top 3 X-artists of all time. Alan Davis on any book is pure bliss. Alan on an X-BOOK? Not to mention an X-book with NIGHTCRAWLER , a character he's obviously always had great affection for, on the team? In my mind it just doesnt get much better than that.

Now that said, I do think that BACHALO kicks arse. To this day I miss Lobdell/Bachalo GENERATION-X. Also thoroughly enjoyed his work on the original AoA and like BC mentioned his last (brief) stint on UNCANNY . Its just going to be an extremely jarring transition for me going from the classic, sleek, polished style of Davis to the distinct, incredibly stylized pencils of Bachalo.
I'm also a little worried because although I really like Bachalo's style he's just NOT in the same league as Davis when it comes to storytelling.
The only current artist I can think of in Davis' league in that dept is the incredible JOHN ROMITA JR.

Hoping Bachalo kicks it up a notch though when he takes over the art chores...we'll see!

BAMF!