Jill, any Chuck Austen news ?? (no, I don't quit !)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

OK, I'll try it a third and last time.
Bamfette, have you got news from Chuck ?
It's very frustrating not to see his work anymore.
If you don't want to give us information, can you please tell us where we could find some ?
This silence is really annoying.
And, even if you have no news or can't tell anything, PLEASE tell us so.
The worst thing for me is being ignored.

Thanks.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by MabusRex »

Any news about Flywires?
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

RYAN!!!

Diablo, you have to understand, i don't find my information, i get it from Chuck, and a lot of the time, i can not tell you anything, and by saying i can't, I am often seen as confirming or denying assumptions and rumors, so it is sometimes best for me to not say anything at all, even 'i can't talk about that'.

He's basically just said 'fuck this' to comics, and is working on King of the Hill again, and doing screenplays. he may be back, he may not, i am not sure. He makes better money in animation and movies, anyway. though his arm is broken so he's basically on forced vacation at the moment. (since King of the Hill and WorldWatch do require drawing and he did break his right arm)

Flywires is still on the plate though. the first installment may be available in France and other european countries via Humanoids already, i am not entirely sure. I know the first issue is complete, so if it is not out now, it should be soon. how it works for the rest of us is we have to wait until all the parts have been released in France before an english version (one volume collecting the issues) will be made available in the US via the partnership with Humanoids and DC. and european industry works a bit differently than here (i am sure you know this already, Diablo, but for the rest of the people) they do not solicit a book until it is FINISHED, or very nearly so, and the artist is doing the pencilling, inks, colors all on his own, and he's relatively new, so the art side is taking a while. so it will not be available in the US for several months, possibly as long as a year, as there are 4 45+ page installments. (so basically 8 American issues of content) i've read the scripts for the first 2 issues, and seen the art for issue one, and i REALLY like it. kind of a sci-fi cyberpunk story with lots of twists. and i think the french audiences will be frustrated waiting for issue 3 as there is a HUGE cliffhanger at the end of issue 2.

also something from TokyoPop is in the works, to be released in Japan. i am not entirely sure of the details of that, though.

basically, i should correct myself, he's given up on AMERICAN comics. he's loved working for Humanoids and would jump at the chance to work for them again.

*edit - just checked and Flywires is OUT in France! (though renamed, because apparently 'Flywires' did not translate well.) go get it, Diablo! let us know what you think ;) http://www.humano.com/catalogue/fiche_c ... p?id=35194
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thanks Jill and sorry.

But you know, you just gave A LOT of information today and made a fanboy happy.
I really, really hadn't any idea of what was going on with Chuck. I'm happy he's making money.
If Chuck's book is out, you can be sure I'll buy "la citadelle du vide" tomorrow. :)
(oh, and does that mean Mr Austen will come to France soon ??? Hey, I have the right to dream, right ?) :P

Finally...
"RYAN !" too.
Man, where did the X-sprites's creator disappear ??
www.atlantys.biz

Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Diablo -- Can you snag me say...4 copies? I can paypal you the money for the books and shipping to me. :)
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Are you serious ?? Four ??
If you really want it, no problem at all, C. :)

But it's in french you know... And besides, french titles are quite expensive. 12,60 euros each for this particular one.
And you will have to explain Paypal to me, 'cause I used it once to order Heathen Sent #1 and I don't know if it worked at all.

I have bought "la citadelle du vide" today (my local store only had two copies) but I haven't read it. It seems promising, though. :)
www.atlantys.biz

Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

12,60 Euros comes out to how much in Yankee dollars? If it's as much as I suspect ($15 or so?) then I'm rethinking my total order. :)

I could also send you a money order through the mail, if Paypal is not your thing, though that would take longer and is less secure.

And yes, I know it's in French. :)

If you can give me a rough estimate, I'll let you know how many I actually want. ;)
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Originally posted by Crawler
12,60 Euros comes out to how much in Yankee dollars? If it's as much as I suspect ($15 or so?) then I'm rethinking my total order. :)
its about $16.50 give or take a few cents.

I iz smarts! I knows mah conversions!

(and.. I might have updated the conversion rates on my Mac to confirm I was right... :shifty)
Call me King!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

1 euro=1.3 USdollar today.

The reasons why comic books are so expensive in our country :
1. you won't find any ad.
2. paper of great quality.
3. there is also an hardcover.
4. the pages are bigger
5. 45 pages approximatively.

If you wanna use Paypal, no problem. If it works for others why not for me ? :)

"La citadelle du vide" is an amazing sci-fi comic-book.
The art is quite simple, but really dynamic.
The story is EXCELLENT Austen. One can sense his freedom there at last, and it feels good ! :)
The dialogues are highly enjoyable. A lot of humour and audacity.
And the end !! Oh. My. God. :surprise
I love this end.

I want the next one. NOW !!

Sorry, I haven't much time today, but I'll come back to give you more info, and spoilers. ;)
www.atlantys.biz

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

heh, i am glad you like the end, that was my favorite part, (and Chuck's too, apparently) some people won't get it, but it will make perfect sense come issue 2.

Chuck says response has been quite positive so far, and that Humanoids is making talk about another project from him, and Chuck would very much like to work for them again, he thinks they're a great company. so, with any luck, something else from him will be published from Humanoids. though, as explained earlier, because of the way European comic publishing works, it may be quite a while before it actually sees print.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I'm glad Chuck is finally getting positive feedback ! :)
It's what he deserves !

Yep, the ending is excellent.
That's something that can completely define a story.
And in this case, I like the structure the ending gives to the plot.
Also, the fact that the main character is a "handicapped" person is great.
And the little boy character is just hilarious !

So Crawler, how many copies ?? :)
(I'll open a Paypal account on thursday. )
www.atlantys.biz

Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

So did he basically quit World Watch or what? I've yet to see anything about that book save a few preview images.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Put that on hold for a few days, Diablo...I may have an alternate (and much cheaper) avenue to getting a copy. Am waiting to hear.

Outlaw> Last I heard, issues 1 and 2 were released and issue 1 did very well. So well that there was a second, colour version in the works. However, after his exit from comics and breaking his arm, Chuck has put WorldWatch on hold due to time and monetary issues.

(Jill, feel free to edit this post if I've got that wrong)
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Out of curiosity, what was the difference between World Watch and other titles that sound very similar to the premise pitched for WW (ie: The Authority or The Watchmen).
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

What's the difference between Avengers and the Justice League?
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Little but you have to take into account that both titles have been around since forever. It's harder to buy a newer title with such a derivative idea to make it even if the writer is willing to keep working on it.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

It's a superhero book. Basically all ideas are derivative at this point. If you get down to the concept (which is what Authority and WorldWatch have in common) then Avengers and JLA are the same: A bunch of the mightiest heroes in the world get together and beat bad guys.

I think you should just read the book instead of passing judgement on it as just derivative. It was quite good.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

OK Crawler, no prob. :)

The issue will be available during a certain amount of time.
It won't disappear next month.
I bet that in six months, I'll be able to find it very esaily.
That's the way it's working there.

Oh, and when you or Jill get any news concerning Worldwatch, please let us know ! :)
www.atlantys.biz

Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Humanoides has done some great things. Chuck writes in a more European style anyway and I hope that works out. I love thier hard back titles and the art is always top notch. I'm just starting a new job so hopefully I'll have something to spend my oh so much extra cash on from Humanoides and Chuck.

And WingedOutlaw, I can see what you're saying about things sounding basically the same, but when you think about it, there really are a limited number of plot ideas in the universe. It's all in the execution and plot/character developement really. If you like the way that some one writes plot/scenes/action/characters, than you are, of course more likely to give a new project a look. It can be hard to give a title a fresh and unbiased look when you've been disappointed in something else that they've written, but you can also be pleasantly surprised if you allow your self to be.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

as for the similarities between Authority, Watchmen and WW, they are in concept only, superhero team book with an adult slant, that's it. the books read very differently. WW is more about the main character's progression and finding herself and discovering what's really important, than it is about showing as much 'adult' content as possible, tough there is certainly a fair bit of that to go around. ignoring her story, it's also more of a commentary on the comic industry as a whole, in particular the crash of the 90's, than anything. it really derives very little from Authority or Watchmen, and speaking as someone who actually has read the entire series, i can say that for a certainty.

as for it's future... after Chuck broke his arm, the book saw delays because Chuck lettered created the backup material and prepped it for printing it himself, as well as drawing the backup comic in the back. so he couldn't do all that with a broken arm. as a result, orders were canceled because it was late, and he decided to put it on hold. there are tentative plans for just releasing it straight to trade sometime, since it is mostly done, but it's not certain.
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Hey Bamfette I was wondering if you might have any updates on the status of the remaining issues of WorldWatch and if they will see print any time soon?

Also:

Someone found listings of future DC trades at amazon.com on one of those listed was -

Superman: Apolcalypse
by Chuck Austen (Author) (Paperback - December 1, 2005)

Do you know if this is legit and what it might be about? I really enjoyed Chuck's Superman issues and would love to read some more if this is something new.

Thanks.
Are You on the Global Frequency?

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
Channon: With your meat gun?
Spider: Or your attack womb.
Channon: Or your illegal bowel disruptor.
Spider: Whatever...
-Transmetropolitan #4

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas -- Where There is Doubt, There is Freedom
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

that may be just the remaining part of his run on Action Comics... the Gog trade didn't indlude his entire run. but it was only missing a couple issues, i think. but then it would say 'Action Comics' wouldn't it? I'll ask.

WorldWatch... well, he has not asked me to color any more pages for it, so i am under the impression it's been shelved indefinetely for the time being.