Uncanny X-Men General Discussion Reload

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

I dunno if anybody has brought this up yet, but is it just me or does Rachel's new back tattoo just scream "phallic"? It may be just my dirty mind or something, but..well. :flame
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I think I can honestly say nobody has mentioned that before:LOL
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by Diablo

You don't care, and it's OK, but please respect my opinion and don't be so offensive towards me.

Ok.....we have respected your opinion and many times said that all we are doing is sharing ours. I don't care if you like Claremont, like him all you want! All I've done is say that i don't like him and why. And all oi've been faced with is people launching into the super-defensive mode. Why so defensive? IMHO the fact everyone gets so defensive speaks volumes....

Are you seriously offended by the fact that people don't like a writer you like? Are you seriously offended by this thread? Thicken that skin, because there are worse things in this world than someone disagreeing with you....

[Edited on 23/1/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

And for the third time, Brubaker's arrival is fine by me.
A guy who says that his linue-up will be "Nightcrawler and some other mutants" (that's what he posted at Newrama) - this man can't be a bad guy ! :)
He said that? Oh my...

The only reason I would drop a book because of Nightcrawler leaving is if that were the only reason for picking it up in the first place. In other words, if I actually enjoy the stories, I will continue reading.

It was Morrison's writing that slapped me out of the "must buy Nightcrawler" thing. I suspect that did it for a lot of people. Realizing that you'd sooner spend money on a book that doesn't contain your favourite because every panel is fun to read will do that.

So, although he was, in my opinion, the greatest writer ever on a core X-title the people who say Morrison ruined the X-Books are probably right. The irony! He did ruin it, by showing how very very... not-good it was, by showing that it could be a good story. People won't settle for this crap any more. Hanging out on messageboards, struggling to find some redeeming quality in a poorly plotted, lamely written, woodenly characterized "iconic" story... making excuses for why it's not-good which become more and more far-fetched until people can claim conspiracy with a straight face ... Dude.

People are done. At least, I am. I want good writing. And it's all a matter of opinion, etc. etc. but no one likes Claremont's writing. I can prove it. I mean, look at this thread. It's all excuses for why the book isn't all that good. This entire thread is people saying "This could be better" and other people coming up with excuses for why the book is not good. Look at the third post! It's dissatisfied! And then the excuses start.

"You just need to wait. He's building up to something great. Not every issue can be enjoyable, plotting is hard when you have to plan for trades. Oh... that wasn't so great after all. Must be the editor's fault." And on and on until you get, and seriously, wow, "He is a great man, it's just that the whole company is against him. Because they are evil."

No! It's just bad! It's a bad bad book! If you think this book is not bad, you have never met a good book. Or, more likely, you are so hung up on the history of the characters that you don't know or care what good writing is because you just want to see them every month. Which is fine. Reread your old issues. Or complain, whatever.

I'm just pissed because freaky adolescent adventures Academy X is a billion times better than the core title. The kids in that book have better-developed relationships than the adults in Uncanny. And the book is only a couple years old! And I haven't even read most of them! I'm going off like 20 issues! (Counting the original book the kids were in.)

It's fucking ridiculous for the main title to be this bad.

(This is of course just my opinion blah blah I'm totally right.)
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

heh. After Draz's post, I decided to go back and re-read the thread. It's kinda come full circle, right back where we started :LOL I point people to page 3 and 4 for a full explanation of why I dropped it. Since I have not read the most recent issues, I haven't had much in my recent posts to base a solid critique on.

And I guess I misspoke, I guess I HAD participated in this thread while I was reading the first few issues (like Claremont or not, I always give a new team a few issues to win me over. And I did like Excalibur. It was the ONLY thing of his i liked, aside form maybe a scattered issue here and there, but I did like it.) my bad. I had forgotten.

I will say though, you have to admit, I stuck to my guns. Ken and Diablo said I would be back for Nightcrawler, and I said I wouldn't, and I kept to my word and don't regret it. I said I would drop it on July 4th '04, so I stayed away from this series (and this thread) for a year and a half.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thanks for the replies Bamfette.
I see there have been and still are a few misunderstandings.

I don't want to convince anyone to like Claremont.
I only expressed myself, like you did, Ja ?
- although you are right : his first Excalibur really rocked. ;)

I'm glad you're back here. :)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Well I read that when Brubaker takes over Uncanny will have ramifications of the "Deadly Genesis" six parter that's going on. I thought that was interesting.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Nightcrawler and Rachel are the only ones confirmed to be on Brubaker's team so far..:bamf

[Edited on 25/1/06 by Blue_Demon94]
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Let's see if there is Nighty and Rachel on the team who else will fill the slot?
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Wolverine...(because he's in everything) Storm's in Africa, The Astonishing team is still together... I dunno, maybe they'll get Iceman and Psylocke?
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Iceman is depowered... and I heard they're scaling down on Wolvy's comic books.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Originally posted by confusedelf
Iceman is depowered... and I heard they're scaling down on Wolvy's comic books.
Oh, I thought I picked up a book where Lorna was depowered and she left with Havok (who is powered), and Bobby was there using his powers. But, I guess I was confuesed:urg

Glad to hear that about :wolvie though. Maybe he'll stick with just one X-team and the Avengers? :)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Iceman does have his powers. He was 'depowered' because he always has a problem with his self-confidence. He was so worried that he had lost his powers like everyone else that he turned them off subconsciously.

During a pitched battle, Emma was able to reach into his mind, find the block, and release it. Everyone got really excited, because they thought that she had found a cure. She then revealed that Bobby had psychosomatically done it to himself, and that all mutants affected by Scarlet Witch had lost all potential to become a mutant - ever.

Does that make sense?
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

No...it doesn't really make sense.... but hey it's Marvel
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

As long as it's Marvel that isn't making sense and not me, then.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Psylocke won't be on Uncanny, but she has been said to be on another team when Brubaker takes over (New Excalibur maybe?!)
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by chicory
Wolverine...(because he's in everything)
Actually...it's been said the only X-Team he'll be on from now on is Astonishing. So I guess Marvel DOES listen...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Poor Bobby - his secondary mutation problems aren't gone afterall :(

:wanda had better stay in hiding after all she's done to the world's mutants. There's probably a price on her head.

Yay! - I'm glad they're limiting the :wolvie. If he's only in Astonishing, does that mean he won't be in Avengers? Because he looks out of place on that team.

And I hope that :psylocke does join the New New Excalibur :)
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Yay! - I'm glad they're limiting the :wolvie. If he's only in Astonishing, does that mean he won't be in Avengers? Because he looks out of place on that team.
I'm pretty sure he's still in Avengers...and his two solo books (naturally) and any endless number of specials and minis etc that Marvel come up with...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

And I hope that :psylocke does join the New New Excalibur :)
Yep, Claremont said she will be.

Anyway, I'm fed up with the way CC uses Nightcrawler these days.
Once again, only one page in Uncanny -just like the month before.
Once again, only one page in X-Men:The end -just like ALL THE MONTHS before.
He's more present in Excalibur !!

Hopefully, Brubaker will use the fuzzy elf a little more -he does in Deadly Genesis !
www.atlantys.biz

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Anyway, I'm fed up with the way CC uses Nightcrawler these days.
Once again, only one page in Uncanny -just like the month before.
Once again, only one page in X-Men:The end -just like ALL THE MONTHS before.
He's more present in Excalibur !!
Claremont likes the ladies...they have all the power...they have all the scenes...they save all the days...they guys just show up to...well...to show they're still on the team?

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Well, here's a small piece they had over at Newsarama.
There Q&A with Joe Quesada gave me a little hope, but not sufficient enough, but the art looks great.

http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JoeFridays36.html
one name: Bruce Campbell
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Seems great. I'm waiting for the colours, though.
Now we know the team : Nightcrawler, Havok, Rachel, Warpath and Xavier.
Just one question : who's that mysterious woman ??
Polaris ? Storm ? Jean Grey ? Nurse Palmer with superpowers ?
www.atlantys.biz

Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

The woman in the top right looked like Polaris (which would fit in with the whole "What Lorna Saw" thing).. it looks like a return of Christopher Summers too (a link to Deadly Genesis?!) and with two of my favorite X-Men still on Uncanny, I think Brubaker's run will be great :bamf :rachel
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Look at the cover for Uncanny 475....

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... ny_475.jpg

I can't want for Brubaker to come his team looks kickass....can he come sooner?:worship