Uncanny X-force Thread

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Re: Uncanny X-force Thread

Post by Sundown »

Good to see a dedicated thread for this. As I said in the thread in the Nightcrawler section, I'm enjoying the character development of Darkhölme immensely and I like Remender's writing. However, the artistic style is a bit rough on the eyes for my taste.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I feel the artwork is going to change soon. This exact sentiment is being carried over into the official Marvel boards. I've even seen it on Formspring towards various editors/writers.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I feel the artwork is going to change soon. This exact sentiment is being carried over into the official Marvel boards. I've even seen it on Formspring towards various editors/writers.
I will be overjoyed if this happens. As far as I'm concerned, the art is the only thing I find meh about this title right now....the rest is great.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yup I was right, Tocchini's artwork is to be replaced started issue #30 in the beginning of a new arc with McKone leading.

At least according to this article here.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

I think this title does have someone meant to be the regular artist (Jerome Opeña maybe?), but the shipping schedule seems to make having just one artist nearly impossible because there aren't many artists who can handle more than 12 issues per year. It'd be nice if they could just pick two artists, preferably with similar styles, to do rotating arcs or arc chunks (for the mega-arcs).
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Yup I was right, Tocchini's artwork is to be replaced started issue #30 in the beginning of a new arc with McKone leading.

At least according to this article here.
The replacement art will be great. Right now, I feel like I'm having to visually translate what the characters are suppose to look like, for lack of a better way to describe it.

Final Execution story arc sounds fairly promising as well. I admit I'm also glad UXF won't be in the Avengers/X-Men crossover.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

I have a question for other people following this title: Am I correct that the XF base of operations is at Cavern X in Arizona, thus limiting at least some of the teams' interaction with the rest of the world? I know Wolverine has introduced X-Force to the school staff in the pages of Wolverine and the X-Men, and that he was met with pretty strong negativity for its existence from Hank and Kitty.
http://marvel.wikia.com/Cavern-X
Current Residents
X-Force
Wolverine (Logan)
Psylocke (Betsy Braddock)
Fantomex
E.V.A.
Deadpool (Wade Wilson)
Deathlok Prime
Nightcrawler (Kurt Darkholme)

Obviously, Wolverine is not a full time resident, or even a most-of-the-time resident, as he is headmaster of the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, an English Lit teacher, and on both an X-Men team and the Avengers (spread that cash-cow a bit thin, hm?). Psylocke is also probalby not a real resident, as she is on Scott's X-Men team based on Utopia. E.V.A. I've not seen much of since I picked up the title around issue #11, and Deathlok I've only seen as a guest speaker in the Wolverine and the X-Men title. So that leaves Darkhölme, Wade and Fantomex as the lone residents? Geez.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Wade is certainly not a full-time resident either. That would be proven by his 6-7 ongoings. He is a wild card in the AvX debate, that's for sure.

All I can say is, Wolverine has (for many years) never been on just one team and has existed in many places at once. Marvel uses him like DC uses The Batman. In all honesty, the less Wolverine is used, the better... except for UXF & W&tXM. These are my two favorite Marvel books right now. I'm slowly (and honestly) becoming a Wolverine fan because of these two titles.

But yes, for the most part those are the current residents, only Hank & Kitty are aware (he tried to tell Bobby, but Iceman wanted nothing to do with it and told him to keep it to himself, the less he knew the better.), so all in all UXF is still pretty secret. Although I guess Warren knows, huh?

Though I'm sure an Avenger or two is aware of it. And I bet Hope knows, she just isn't saying anything.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

E.V.A. is technically part of Fantomex: she's his external nervous system.

Deadpool only has one ongoing title outside of UXF now, so he's not stretched so thin that he couldn't be a full-time resident. Wade's currently trying to get himself killed in his solo title, and the solicits bat around the possibility that somebody other than Wade might be Deadpool after the current arc. We shall see.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

What about "Deadpool MAX" and "Deadpool VS ..." and there's the stuff he appears in with with the same frequency of Logan.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:All I can say is, Wolverine has (for many years) never been on just one team and has existed in many places at once. Marvel uses him like DC uses The Batman. In all honesty, the less Wolverine is used, the better... except for UXF & W&tXM. These are my two favorite Marvel books right now. I'm slowly (and honestly) becoming a Wolverine fan because of these two titles.
Maybe there's more than one of him. Maybe his healing factor can allow him to regenerate from a single cell...and given all the blood he's left all over the place...

My gods! There could be millions of him!
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:What about "Deadpool MAX" and "Deadpool VS ..." and there's the stuff he appears in with with the same frequency of Logan.
I'm pretty sure MAX wasn't 616, but it's over (or ending, if the last issue isn't out yet). If you meant Deadpool Team-Up by the second, it got the axe quite some time ago, and that book with him in space with other Deadpools ended around the same time. Currently, the only Deadpool title is Deadpool. He doesn't make half as many guest appearances these days, but he often gets a tie-in mini with major events. He won't have one for AvX, though.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

He's in the AvX promo as a "wildcard" though....
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well...

Holy crap. What an ending... Jeez.

I didn't see that coming. Honestly. But I'm glad the arc is done new art time.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

So #24 came out this week, and we're off to a new story arc and new artwork, as well - two changes I'm very thankful for, as the last couple of issues really weren't doing anything for me. This time the team is after AoA Iceman and focuses heavily on Darkholme. I don't want to give anything away, but if you have any interest in the character, I think you might want to check this out. The book gives us a good look at his character and what kind of person he is - especially the traits that make him different from the 616 version of Kurt.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

SOOOOOOOO
getting that. Thanks for the heads up Star!!!
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

Hmm, yeah, got it. Art is a lot better. But it's depressing stuff, and there seems to be so little of it. I'm not sure if I will keep on buying it; it's just not working for me.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

...And I might add, it's especially jarring when read back-to-back with Wolverine and the X-Men #9. A book that seems to go on and on, in which lots of characters care about lots of things, there is plenty to see, and which I immediately wanted to re-read. Whereas UXF, some guy kills another guy for reasons unclear and a bit of aftermath of the previous issues and that's it. It feels like there is not enough story to fill 8 pages. And there must be at least two Wolverines?
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Remender's story telling style differs vastly from Aaron's however. Aaron writes like Bendis, puts all the pieces on the board and character develops from there. Remender is more like Morrison (More-Is-Less-on) where the chess pieces are hidden and sparce and the pieces don't fit right until the climax. Makes for a better read in trade.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Finally read the latest issue.

MUCH LOVE OR THE ARTWORK CHANGE! Holy cow!

The issue felt short. I wish it had focuses solely on those three fighting Robert Drake rather than the transitions back and forth to Otherworld, Betty/Fantomex. I could care less about that storyline, I think Remender has basically exhausted it. You'd think he'd give us a funeral in the beginning and save the kissing stuff between Fantomex & Psylocke for the next issue. Or save an entire issue dedicated to that whole set up?

And Fantomex is being a real shitty "caretaker" to Kid Apocalypse. When's he gonna go visit him at his new school? You think maybe Logan won't allow it?
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

I liked issue #24 just because it did show, in a startling way, how very different Kurt Darkholme is from Kurt Wagner. That bit at the end (with Kurt and Bobby) and the implications was one of the few times a comic book had given me chills.

The new art was a welcome relief, and the Mike McKone stuff coming up in the next issue looks equally as good, if not better.

Rumour mill has it that Genesis will feature again in UXF, and the preview art for #25 has him in it. Remender was on X-Position the other day, and gave away some of what was coming up: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=38335
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Thanks for the heads up, Sundown! Yeah the title is finally shaping up I think. The bit at the end was creepy but... you know in a sick way it was sort of satisfying. Knowing everything Robert Drake has done... and is willing to do/continue doing? For his own selfish happiness? What a scum-bucket. I'm not entirely sure I disagree with Darkholme's decision to go after him. I often times get on the fence with the team-members of this title. Not this time.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:The bit at the end was creepy but... you know in a sick way it was sort of satisfying. Knowing everything Robert Drake has done... and is willing to do/continue doing? For his own selfish happiness? What a scum-bucket. I'm not entirely sure I disagree with Darkholme's decision to go after him. I often times get on the fence with the team-members of this title. Not this time.
Actually it wasn't what he did, it was how he did it that gave me chills. I mean with the expressionless watching thing...yikes(great panels from the artist though). Also, the comment just prior.
Imagine Kitty betraying Kurt Wagner (not to argue if she would, let's just say she did), and him doing the exact same thing to her in the exact same manner. I suppose putting it in that perspective was what got to me.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of his story unfold in #25, and supposedly #27 onwards really delves into him. I just hope that one of the upcoming deaths in the title isn't him.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

There's very little in issue #25 I didn't like.

Wade's crazy is wonderfully charming. The NoMance between Psylocke and Fantomex is finally developing into an subtly more interesting subplot, and the back and forth with Darkholme & Logan was great:

[spoilers ahead]...

Kurt: "Back home, your Doppelganger is the plague of my world, but I'm actually beginning to like you. Think I'll stay for a bit longer."

Logan: "Given what a surly son of a bitch you've been, knowin' you're stickin' around is such a relief. Lights my heart up." (Kurt is grinning here)

Logan: "If I was a cynical man I might think you're getting me buttered up to ask me to help you kill another hometown refugee."

Kurt: "Yes. The Blob."

Logan: "Hmmh. And how personal is it between you?"

The image after this? Wonderfully upsetting and graphic.

I officially love this title.

I also love how Logan summarizes his validation and ideals of the X-Force:
"An alcoholics anonymous meeting with mandatory drinking contest." <333