Astonishing X-Men - Liu & Perkins

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So it seems Astonishing X-Men is going to get some dust blown off of it and hopefully recharged (because, WOW what a boring book). Now it seems X-23 writer Marjorie Liu and artist Mike Perkins (who I specifically remember doing the art -- or at least covers-- for Shadowland: Power Man mini) are taking a hold of the title. All I could think of when I heard that was, awesome.

This seems like a great move on Marvel's part, especially when you see the line-up for the team.

Another Team Gold book I'd be more than willing to check out (but thankfully I won't have to spend money on! G/F will be compelled to buy due to the :gambit factor and X-23 writer). :toothy

Anyone else think this looks interesting, or am I crazy?

Here's a part of the interview CBR had (found in the aforementioned link):
Recently it seems like Bobby has been developing more and more control over his powers and developing new uses for them. Mike and Marjorie, in your minds just how powerful is Bobby Drake?

Perkins: Massively powerful. Think about it. The air around you, the water in your body -- all completely controllable by Iceman. It's probably heresy to say so but I believe he's potentially more powerful than Magneto.

Liu: Iceman is extremely powerful. He's an omega-level mutant who hasn't yet tapped his potential, which is something Warbird will recognize -- and find incredibly attractive.
:naughty Warbird & Iceman, eh? Interesting.

[Edited on 14/1/12 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Looks like some more dialogue about the developing story for Astonishing X-Men. I'm very excited to see all of this...
What a great cast of characters! I'm already energized to see some development with the character Northstar!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Re: Astonishing X-Men - Liu & Perkins

Post by Starfish »

I'm looking forward to this a lot. So far, I've been very fond of Liu's writing, and what I've read so far sounds like an exciting reinvigoration of the Astonishing series. The cast looks like a lot of fun, too, and Liu has already shown she can handle Gambit really well. Northstar and Karma getting some much needed spotlight is a good move, as well.

Warbird and Iceman? Sounds like an incredibly fun pairing, and Bobby should welcome the opportuntiy to oppose all those rumors undoubtedly popping up because he's on the same team as Northstar... :naughty

Here's a new interview with Liu, and an absolutely gorgeous new cover by Perkins: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=36858
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Issue #49 is coming out this Wednesday, and will give us the return of the Marauders! Preview Totally going to be fake-out, of course. :shifty

I'm still not too fond of the art; it's too dark and grimy for my liking.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yeah, my girl says that she liked the art in the issue but she didn't like any of the previews I'd shown her for the next one. (The one you're posting).

I am not picky with art really this style won't bother me. I hope to see more stuff with Gambit now though. Marauders? Hmm...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I love this.

This is a great comic. Not as good as W&tXM, mind you but good.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So incase you haven't heard, issue #51 of Astonishing is the wedding between Jean-Paul (Northstar) and his boyfriend, KYLE!

The first Gay Marriage in major comic publication history, it will prove to be a historic event while still being full of badguys disrupting a wedding, like every other super-wedding-day.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm super excited about this. I haven't been able to find any real negative feedback on this yet, though I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

You kno what though?