Has Prof X had a sect'y?

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by Elfdame »

As I plot away at the neverending fanfic, it occurs to me that I don't recall seeing ol' Chuckles ever having a secretary. Granted, he's a mega-genius and has all this space-age equipment, blah blah, but even before we all had computers, did he ever have someone to type his notes, keep his secret docs secret, take his phone calls, etc etc? I can't imagine any kind of executive or head of school back then NOT having one. And if not, was it ever explained WHY he didn't? I mean, yeah he's hiding a bunch of super-powered teen vigilantes and all, but ... to keep up appearances at the very least, and to take off the burden of normal social demands (writing letters, screening calls, doing errands, keeping the books, ad infinitum) so the Prof can zip around fighting malevolent entities and so forth instead of dealing in picayune details.

This is one reason I am not a good writer. I come up with too many questions and spend time trying to solve them instead of saying "Continuity be [insert curse word of your choice]ed, full steam ahead!"

I thought it might be funny if Elise comes to interview as a secretary but ends up wheedling a job as a cook, where she could hide in the kitchen like an introvert instead of having to wear girly clothes and deal with {shudder} people all the time. That started me thinking, and I don't know enough X-lore to know if Chaz ever had a plain old secretary. In a fantasy universe, one needs certain small elements to convince the reader that, yes, this could be YOUR universe. Like Mutant Baseball: it's so normal that it reminds us the X-men are simply kids.

Imagine the spin-off fics we could have: a traitorious one; a mutant who thinks she can hide it from the world's mightiest telepath; a secretary who makes comments on her cell phone to her mother-in-law about the students; a ditzy type who isn't even good looking but has immense charm ... ah, the possibilities astound one!

So -- when, if ever, in canon or Marvel AU's or animated series or movieverse, did the Prof have a secretary?
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Now I'm not an expert or anything, but I don't seem to remember he ever had a secretary. It seems like he didn't have to bother with much of the "paperwork" at the beginning, and then later on I think either one of the X-Men or Moira McTaggert ended up helping him with that stuff. As far as I know there wasn't a secretary.

However, I think it would make a lot of sense if he had one, or if Elise interviewed to be a secretary and ended up becoming cook. OR even better, she got the job as secretary but then somebody tasted her cooking and insisted that she become the cook.

If you're good at researching, the X-Men database can be found here http://marvel.com/universe/X-Men
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by JSherlock »

I would assume he'd simply make people believe the proper paperwork was there with his mind. :D That way, everyone thought everything was good and there was no real paper trail for people to follow back to him and the school.

But then again, he's got all these kids and adults of varying ages and whatnot. Free labor to do his typing and filing! Bwahahahaha!
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Hee, that was my first thought, JS. :shifty All those students have to be good for more than just saving the world...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by Angelique »

We have it on record that at least three times, Kurt himself took on the responsibilities of making and taking phone calls for the school. As for paperwork, who knows?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by Elfdame »

Yeah, one of my shortcomings is that I tend to OVER-think any story I write, even short-shorts or flash fiction. It seemed ODD for him to not have someone, though.

I will ponder this as I wash dishes ....
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by Angelique »

Overthinking? Not at all. It's refreshing to see overthinking being a problem in concocting a good story.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Has Prof X had a sect'y?

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I definitely agree with Ange. Do you have any idea how many soppy/sappy/random/OOC fanfics are out there? We readers are GLAD you're over-thinking the way things work - accuracy makes us smile.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.