Anyone else think that the Decimation should be retconned?

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

The X-Men can still be a small tight-knit group while the outside mutant population still grows. That the mutant population was projected to grow is exactly why some people regarded mutants as a threat- like growing populations of Mexicans or Muslims in predominantly white Protestant areas.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

What Angelique said.

Additionally, the growing mutant population gave credibility to Xavier's Dream. While 16 million is a mere drop in the bucket of a population of 6 billion, mutants were a minority that stood out because of their powers. The continued growing of their small population showed that they weren't some freak accident of genetics that would be extinct in a generation or so (unlike the situation post-HoM). That's a powerful reason for the baseline populace to really fear and hate them. Their growing numbers were starting to give them some political clout, allowing them to legitimately demand equal treatment.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Xavier's dream was to have more mutants?

I think that was Magneto's.

But I get what you're saying, however; in the long run, it made for bad storytelling.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

His dream of coexistence, silly. :P

Bad storytelling is just, well, bad. What I don't get is the notion that some level of progress in comics is a bad thing. It opens the door for more stories and a fresh take. Forcing the status quo into stasis results in stale, recycled stories. Where's the fun in that?

I didn't like everything Morrison did in his run, but turning the Xavier Institute into a real school was nice. I could have done without secondary mutations and the extinction gene. And the White Hot Room? Yeah, I'd rather not try to reconcile that with past continuity. The pairing of Emma and Scott jumped the shark the moment they kissed on Jean's grave. However, bringing the mutant minority out of the figurative closet brought a new dimension to their continued fight for recognition as people deserving of equal treatment.

I don't like this approach with Scott as the leader of a doomed mutant army. It just doesn't feel like the X-Men. It also feels rather unnatural for a group that used to act like a family to suddenly barely act like friends. Mrf.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

It's late, it's Friday and I am very tired. Therefore I shall now commence to ramble...

I always sort of thought that the "sudden burst" in mutant population as Ult_Sm86 put it was due to the genetic manipulator satellite that was up in orbit a few arcs before (remember? when the whole mutant population was de-mutantized? - that being a technical term o'course). Sinny was doing some genetic rejiggering to play with the mutant gene and as a result the "gene" was "sensitised" in the general population, resulting in more mutants worldwide. (that's my theory anyway... :D)

Actually even before the official "boom" in mutant popluation there were a lot, a LOT of mutants around, it was even a default explanation for RandomPoweredBeing! in comics, - "Who is he? What is he? and What does He want?" could easily be answered by *shrug* "eh, mutant."

I seem to remember in one comic, Stan Lee commenting on how the X-men (and mutants in general) started from a half dozen and expanded to the hundreds that were at the time "I might as well have created a bunch of rabbits!" (course i partially remember the phrase because of :bamf + red drapey Excalibur costume.... but that's neither here nor there :P)

Personally I liked the dramatic increase in mutant population, it made for some interesting storylines (eg: "mutie town") and gave the writers a chance to come up with some really inventive powers (eg: a man who became a tree and took root whenever he slept).

The Decimation event was interesting too, if only to see how they would or will solve it (and you know they will, its only a matter of time before fan pressure and writers wanting to create new characters and other writers their favourite character back will swell the ranks with more mutants).

However, I concede that it and other storylines could have been handled better - Wahsinn has a point with some of those storylines she mentioned, the Scott/Emma pairing I thought was rather odd, and the secondary mutation thing could have been more fully explored - eg: why hadn't they shown up before the satellite ;) also, why didn't :D have any secondary or tertiary mutations. Additionally in regards to yet other storylines (eg: where the bus full of ex-mutant children was blown up and any issue of X-factor *ever*) I have mentioned before somewhere else that I am NOT a huge fan of Blood!GoreSpatter!!!! comics (now with MORE random EYEBALLS! and a free set of bloodied steak knives!) which seems to be more and more prevalent in comics these days...

So, anyway if Decimation was to be retconned or if a gradual/sudden decrease in mutant population were to occur, how do you guys think it should be done?

[Edited on 9-7-2010 by kladyelf]
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Just had a random thought (tiredness = loony ideas) every couple decades DC has their Crisis on Infinite Earths to take care of any continuity problems, aging problems etc. and the boom and bust of the mutant population is remarkably similar...

Crisis of Infinite Mutants?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Klady, I like that thinking very much. "Crisis of Infinite Mutants".

It's not like it's the best written story, and certainly no one here is claiming it, but sometimes something needs to give for the betterment of the Universe.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Well, Morrison had already killed off half the mutant population boom he created by nuking Genosha. There were 32 million mutants before that happened. :X

Anyhoo, I don't really think cutting the population was the best way to go. I think it would have been more effective to actually depict the population as the minority it was by spreading out the mutants. It's kind of like the non-mutant superheroes. You would think most of the population of NYC consisted of superheroes and that there must be piles of them all over everywhere. However, there's not a glut of superheroes. They're simply too concentrated in one area.

If they had to do Decimation, I think it would have been better if they hadn't added in the bit about it being impossible to pass on the X-gene at all. Making it more difficult to pass, or something along those lines, would have been sufficient. It would have put the remaining mutants in a profoundly vulnerable situation, but they wouldn't be a lost cause without a DEX.

Another way could have been some kind of virus that destroys or deactivates a mutant's X-gene. Those lucky few who develop immunity (or never catch it) would retain their powers.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Another way could have been some kind of virus that destroys or deactivates a mutant's X-gene. Those lucky few who develop immunity (or never catch it) would retain their powers.
You been reading Second Coming? :smirk

You should pick up "X-Men" now
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

I think that after the Decimation it should of been easier for people to give birth to Mutants, because it'd probably be their only way to survive.

Anyway, after the whole Dracula thing is done, all of the Ex-Mutants who turn into Vampires could be healed by Hope and get their powers back somehow.

[Edited on 10/7/10 by Blob55]
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

Hmm, I'm wondering if what I said just about summed up this whole thread?

Are you guys busy on the Nightcrawler side or something?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Who said all the ex-mutants were turning into Vampires?

Who said anyone more than Jubilee? Who said Hope has the ability to give people powers! You're making a lot of assumptions there boy-o.

I suggest you read Second Coming Pt. 13 to see what she can actually do.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

I never said that all of the ex-Mutants will turn into Mutants. I said that the ex-Mutants that DO get turned into Vampires may get their powers back.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:You been reading Second Coming? :smirk

You should pick up "X-Men" now
I have and have read all of the above. Thus far, I'm unsurprised with the reveal on Hope in Chapter 13. While she didn't pick up appearances, she did manifest the powers of others. I'm guessing she either functions somewhat like Mimic or can manifest the powers of any X-man (or perhaps any mutant).
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

I've noticed some Errors from Curse of the Mutants; X-Men #1.

The First one is when Wolverine says that he's in a safehouse, and that the Bodies in it are wearing heavy clothing, but they're only wearing 2 X's to cover up their parts!
I can't find the other one, but I think Wolverine or Cyclops say something twice.

That Idiot Joe should of found those mistakes before the issue got published! That's what a damn editor does. :/
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

I think that he was saying that he found heavy clothing in addition to the bodies, not on the bodies. I guess they needed heavy clothes to keep out the sunlight?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Bob, what Trigger said is correct. He meant the people they just knocked the fuck out, they were in heavy clothing. They're vampires.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

If they're not going to let some ex-mutants get their powers back, then some Newer Mutants could take lession from them, and get trained how to control their powers. (Like Wizards of Waverly place).
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well, if you read the final issue of Second Coming (which I've been asking everyone to do) you'll see that Hope was indeed a "game-changer", and now mutants are being realized all over the world again, just not nearly in as large a burst as right before "Decimation".

Again; read the books - then complain. I promise, they're not trying to piss you off. The writers don't hate you. They do actually care about what you think, and people have been riding them about Decimation long before this thread came up.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

I know. But the Newer Mutants should still go to Ex-Mutant City to get training.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

BTW, which comics are going to be in The Heroic Age? Wikipedia only shows New, Cancelled, Limited, and One-Shot Comics. It doesn't show any on-going Comics in the Heroic age.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Why are you assuming they have to go to a city? Where's this need to write the story coming from? LOL

Heroic Age is a crosswide thing. It's Heroes acting like Heroes again and not fighting eachother. Villains are villains, not corrupt politicians and crap. This is all made very clear on the MARVEL WIKI, not WIKIPEDIA. Also, it's not an event so much as a movement. A return to the Golden Age, really.
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Blob55 »

I tried there, and it doesn't say which comics are going to be apart of it.
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BAMFCentralII »

it's suppose to be across the board alll Marvel comics.

But there are a few issues here and there were it seems they aren't doing that.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

*looks up who this Ruffalo chap is*

ACK! Prettyboy! We don't need no stinkin' prettyboys! We need geeky guys! Like Norton!