Uncanny X-Men: First Class

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So Giant Size Uncanny X-Men First Class introduced us to the new team of Uncanny mutants.

This is a really great re-do of some great storytelling and I think everyone who loves the Cockrum line up of Giant-Size X-Men #1 will really appreciate this.

The comedy is there, the dynamic between Kurt/Logan, Colossus/Storm, and seeing poor Peter till the soil of the campus 'casue he's terribly confused and used to such harsh poverty, was pretty much CRACK-TASTIC.

[Edited on 2/4/10 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I just checked out some First Class from the library. Will not get the Giant Size one til late next week (if whoever has it checked out turns it in on time). Looking fwd to it now, and hope to post more thoughts once I've plowed thru them.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Update (not really double post): I haven't caught up to where Bman is yet, but wanted to chime in that I loved the first run of First Class. Checked the books out and read them all this week (neglecting my own writing whilst doing so, :( ) and LOVED them for the most part.

Don't anybody kill me, but I *liked* seeing Scott written sympathetically. He was a good character in First Class, not stuck-up all the time etc. And the way the group was learning to work as a team was wonderfully portrayed. Bobby, one of my least fave X-men for some reason, also comes across as a fun and talented character. Henry, alas, is not quite as winsome as one would wish, albeit one could attribute his awkward disposition to being in the midst of the tormenting teen years.

It's cool that they spotlighted each X-person (well, maybe not so much Jean, the male chauvinist pigs) in different issues, and had little June Coover-drawn bits to break up the stories. Even a cameo by :spidey

It was weird to see the writers, in the Giant Size one, compare Scott to Gort. I did that near the finale of my October Challenge entry.

On the whole, it reminds me of the Marvel Age/ Marvel Adventures books, which are my total favourites b/c they are simple, imaginitive, comical, character-driven, non-angsty, and mostly one-shots. Perfect for an old-fashioned granny. Issue 11 (with The Continuiteens) was a total GAS, LMFAO! Does anyone besides me (and neling, I assume) like the old-fashioned, FUN-type comics? The ones where boobs and backstabbing and wrath are not the staple ingredients?

I see the library has "Hated & Feared" on order, so have put it on hold for self. :D Will report back after I read it, Lord willing.

Anyone else read or subscribe to these? Thoughts on the first 16 or so issues?
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I had the first.... 3... I believe, of the original set of 8. (I didn't know it went up to 16, it must be other parts of the series not included in the original 8... had no idea Spidey showed up!! :spidey )
They really are funny though, aren't they? I mean, they nail the characters and everything, show off some good artwork and touch-upon classic themes/fights, but in the end, it's just well written and keeps you laughing.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Finally read GIant Size X-men:First Class plus Uncanny:1st Class 1-4 and loved it. The two parts which highlighted the Fuzzy One were great: interesting plots and yummily drawn Elf. I don't agree with what he did at Attilan, but they made a good case for why he felt it was necessary. In the Giant Size, it was fun to see how they added background to more or less canon stuff -- and Wolvie's tale had me totally :LOL.

Apparently they are still producing First Class. I'll have to check at the library and see if they have a copy I can peruse while Junior runs around checking out books.

Anybody else enjoy this old-fashioned stuff? If I were subscribing to a title, it would be this (or Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man, except AFAIK, it ended with # 61, which I've read in book form) :( .

kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Both first class comics look good (although only Uncanny seems to be in my newsagent of late,)
Does anyone besides me (and neling, I assume) like the old-fashioned, FUN-type comics? The ones where boobs and backstabbing and wrath are not the staple ingredients?
YES!!!! Egads I am so sick of comics that are full of Blood!gorespattersexhateviolence, oh and the (lately often gruesome) death of children. That is NOT what appealed to me when i first got into superhero comics as a teenager (nineties and all) and they aren't what appeals to me now fer cryin' out loud!

Edit:

http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/040905.html

:D :cracked :D

*cough cough* also

http://silver-sehkmet.deviantart.com/ar ... 8-29514772

[Edited on 15-6-2010 by kladyelf]

[Edited on 15-6-2010 by kladyelf]
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...