X-Men: 2nd Coming (SAY WHAAAA)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I would expect that that's what the Jewish characters would do at a Jewish funeral. It's not "trying too hard" to get it right.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

interesting covers coming out for the "New X-Men" #13. I think

this one is probably my fave, simply because it's symbolic. The other two have the Next Generation of X-Men being featured on the cover, or the older generation looking like they're in defense with the newest, but this cover.... this one stands out. They're blowing away.
To me? It says their time is done. They're not the X-Men they once were, and this is no country for old men.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Hate to say this, but when I'm in a comic shop or library perusing X-titles (which I rarely do), I always flip thru them or look at covers for Nighty. No Crawlage, no interest. I am so one-sided. {sigh}
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Oh, I'm the same way. If I ever do get an X-Book again, it won't be for a long time, or at the very least until they bring Kurt back. I am curious about all of this and where they could possibly be going, and I'll be reading the Spider-Man comics that bring him to San Francisco.... just to see where the hell they think they're going with that too, but I have a very bad feeling I'll be dropping all marvel altogther (Except Ultimate) very soon. Story/writing can be fantastic, but I'm a fan, and I look for a certain character and if he's not there, it's hard for me to get into it.

But I'm really starting to be turned on to the new "Daredevil" they're pushing. It's flirting with my love for the bad-boy Street delinquent that Murdock is. Now there's a Catholic Character who got written correctly, I can't wait to see where this isall going.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I wouldn't say Daredevil is an example of a Catholic character who's written correctly, considering how saddled he is with stereotypical Catholic guilt.

Plus, he simply isn't as interesting as a certain fuzzy elf who didn't let his baggage keep him down.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

It aaaaall depends on the writer, as far as religion goes. A lot of people were able to write Catholic Kurt without necessarily making the religion the defining aspect of his character. But the majority were unable to handle a character with that. So, by attempting to simply acknowledge his religion, they effectively destroyed his character. In that case, I agree, Nightcrawler has waaaaaaaaaay too much baggage.

Doesn't mean he can't be well-written -- he just happens to be a little bit more difficult to write well.

The same for Daredevil. The biggest difference between them is their base characters. At heart, Nightcrawler is a joking swashbuckler, while Murdock is a guilt-ridden avenger. I like to think Daredevil is the Batman of the Marvel universe, while Nightcrawler is almost Robin-esque in his ability to enjoy life to the full, while still kicking butt.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I see Kurt more like the Wally of Marvel U.

But yeah.

Anyways, where the hell is this story going? Honestly?
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

Well, I managed to borrow a copy of the newest issue from a friend... It was very strange.

Super Quick Overview:

Hope got into a fist fight that turned into a food fight. Scott became all super defensive over her and now he and Cable are mad at each other.

Turns out Beast decided to stay with the x-men for a little while, but he's still super angry with Cyclops.

Pierce blows up the blackbirds and Cyclops issues everyone an order to get ready for an attack.

The very last page is of a disscussion between Hope and Cable where Hope admits that she lied when she told Cable she was "ready."

-End Super Quick Review-

I think that the story is going to boil down to everyone becoming extremely mad at Cyclops and seriously questioning his leadership. Then, out of nowhere Hope is going to save everyone and then all the mutants can continue to bow down to Cyclops and kiss his bum. There is no way Fraction is going to allow his boy Cyclops to come out of this thing looking like a heel.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Trigger wrote: I think that the story is going to boil down to everyone becoming extremely mad at Cyclops and seriously questioning his leadership. Then, out of nowhere Hope is going to save everyone and then all the mutants can continue to bow down to Cyclops and kiss his bum. There is no way Fraction is going to allow his boy Cyclops to come out of this thing looking like a heel.
The funny thing is that Fraction succeeded in making Cyclops look even more like a heel.

kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

oh...
while Nightcrawler is almost Robin-esque in his ability to enjoy life to the full, while still kicking butt.
and
I see Kurt more like the Wally of Marvel U.
Now i have a mental image of a bemasked Nightcrawler wearing a Short Pants Robin costume with a Where's Wally Hat...

Thanks a lot guys, i don't even draw and you're giving me art bunnies?!?

*mock glare* :cracked :D
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Wally... West.

.....The Flash. :P
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Ohhh..... *facepalm* :P
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

;)

I wonder if Spider-Man is going to show up by the end of this, being he's in Heroic Age, and he's clearly becoming stressed in all 3 of his ongoing series. That'd be great if SOMEONE from Marvel U ignores Scott's orders and says "You're not the general of me, I'm here to help. Suck it the f*ck up."

Though I suppose it would sort of take away from making this a real "Mutant Event" and would come off as "They couldn't do it without help".

.... Which maybe they can't?
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Angelique wrote:I would expect that that's what the Jewish characters would do at a Jewish funeral. It's not "trying too hard" to get it right.
I wouldn't expect to see that stuff because none of the characters except the dead one are Jewish (Catholic). It would be silly to see a non-Jewish character wearing a prayer shawl.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Since when is there only one Jew among the mutant population?

Now as for Catholics, even if there was only one, that in and of itself reflects an attitude that rather defeats the purpose of the X-Men in promoting pluralism to have only one token Catholic- and then kill him off.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I'm sure there is more than one Catholic mutant. I believe Havok is Catholic, courtesy of Mr. Austin. There is the girl whose leg was cut off recently. Sorry, I can't remember her name at the moment. I thought Rockslide and Sunspot were Catholic, also.

What you have here is a lack of Presbyterians.:surprise:mad

And where is my token Amish mutant?

[Edited on 14/5/10 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I wanna know where the Pastafarian is, to be honest.

Amish mutant? That would be pretty cool, I gotta admit. I could do a one-shot where The X team go to Amish Country to help some Amish mutant. He says he handles shit himself and tells the X-Men to get out with their techno-asses off his turf or there will be great verbal displeasure. :offtopic

ANYWAYS!

I don't know where they're going with this, but I'll be patient and wait it out, watch over someone else's shoulder each week to see how it's progressing.

[Edited on 14/5/10 by Ult_Sm86]
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Havok left the Catholic Church, having (also according to Austen) never taken the faith seriously. Karma is too busy being defined as a practicing lesbian to be portrayed as a devout Catholic. (There are ways that handing a character who happens to be both Christian and homosexual can be done well, and I don't trust Marvel at the moment to even bother trying.)

Rockslide may have come from a Catholic background, but is not religious. As for Sunspot, who knows? It may only be that he's considered Catholic just because he's South American. It may be reasonable to assume that he has a Catholic background, but what evidence is given of actually subscribing to the faith?

Banshee's dead. Firebird doesn't appear any more, and when she did, it was as if all her lines were lifted from "touched by an Angel." Firestar doesn't appear any more. Aurora, Dagger and Syrin also never realy interested me as characters.
That being said, there is a very sparse population of openly religious characters in the Marvel U.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Ange, responding to your stuff in the other thread, 'cause as I stated there, I want this to be Second-Coming related.

I expect to see religion and faith become a huge propionate in this plot. Anyone else seeing that develop?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'd have to be blind to not see that coming- the whole Messiah thing, Cyclops' completely blind faith, Nightcrawler concluding that Cyclops is as much a man of faith as he is because of that blind belief that Hope will do anything, Nightcrawler saying he believed in Hope, so on and so forth.

I'm not impressed.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Ult_Sm86 wrote: I expect to see religion and faith become a huge propionate in this plot. Anyone else seeing that develop?
Wouldn't it be grand if Kurt turned out to be the Mutant Messiah, instead of Hope? I would love that.

Hey! That means he will be back in three days, Marvel Universe time.

[Edited on 14/5/10 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

... that would be pretty interesting....

But highly unlikely. And sort of an ego-boost to Kurt fans, and clearly a dangerous one at that! LOL!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, according to Christian teaching, to fit the Messiah bill, you actually have to do something like sacrifice your life for others and then resurrect. All Hope's done is whine, get shuttled around, and cause fights.

Still, I wouldn't be very keen on Nighty being tagged as any mutant messiah. Neither, for that matter, would I think he'd be comfortable with that designation.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yeah, I would have to agree. He wouldn't be too happy.

I suspect the three fingered arm is going to be a huge bite-in-the-ass later.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Who do you think it's going to bite? Bastion or Marvel editorial?