Marvel goes Disney!

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Slarti wrote:I don't think it's any big deal. Disney owns or has owned a lot of companies/operated other divisions. While their best known brand is related to Walt, I don't think this means Wolverine will be sporting mouse ears. They're a mega-corporation, and they're in this to make money.
This is what I was thinking. I thought it might even be a good thing, like we might get way more cartoons out of it.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by steyn »

Probably more games too.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

steyn wrote:Probably more games too.
:-D
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Saint Kurt »

stjohn wrote:...Just sad that they didn't inform or give a heads up and ask for feed back.
As awesome as that would be, what major entertainment company has ever done this?

-e
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Jeremus »

Angelique wrote:I was just thinking about which Disneyland attraction would be most suitable for some Marvel characters.

Ka-Zar: The Jungle Cruise
The Fantastic 4 and the Silver Surfer: Space Mountain
Ghost Rider: the Haunted Mansion
Namor: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Vertigo and Riptide: the Mad Tea Party
Punisher and Domino: Frontierland Shooting Exposition
Angel: Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Iceman and Wendigo: Matterhorn
Forge: Gadget's Go Coaster and Innoventions
Ant Man and Wasp: Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
Pixie: Tinkerbell and her Fairy Friends

Nightcrawler: Pirates of the Caribbean, then Star Tours, then Tom Sawyer's Island, then the Columbia, then Peter Pan's Flight, then King Arthur's Carousel, and back to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Multiple Man: Everything at once.

Gambit: Gambit don't do rides. He just hang out at de Blue Bayou and do card tricks.
LMAO!
Now which ride would Wolverine get???

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Angelique »

Wolverine might get Big Thunder Mountain. Oh, and Dazzler will sing at the Electrical Parade.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Slarti »

Saint Kurt wrote:
stjohn wrote:...Just sad that they didn't inform or give a heads up and ask for feed back.
As awesome as that would be, what major entertainment company has ever done this?
What major company period has ever done that?

Also, FYI, Disney owns, just to name a few major media holdings, ABC, ESPN, Touchstone, Dreamworks and Miramax. Miramax, until 2005, was the parent company of Dimension, which released such non-family-friendly fare as the Scary Movie franchise, Sin City, The Crow and several of the Hellraiser and Halloween sequels.

So I don't see this as the end of Marvel as an independent entity, or the demise of their more adult titles.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Saint Kurt »

Slarti wrote: What major company period has ever done that?
Exactly my point Slarti. :)

However, I specified entertainment companies because they possess franchises with fans and those fans often claim a sort of ownership with accompanying entitlements. (Think Star Wars fans. :) )

Major companies often do ask opinions or give heads up about mergers, major changes, etc. though they don't ask everybody, they talk to their shareholders. In fact Marvel (MVL) may have done just that. I don't own any Marvel stock so I didn't get any memos.

Marvel's stock has been quite low whereas Disney's (DIS) has been doing well considering that nothing is really doing all that great. From a purely financial perspective, Marvel might do really well with a boost from a company with more capital to spend.

It could be an interesting time for Marvel and comics in general. I tried to go to the Toronto Fan Expo this weekend and not only did it sell out but there were 4+ hour waiting times just to enter the building. I never got in and chose instead to explore the city, but the point remains: Comics and related media are no longer a "fringe" element. It is getting nearer and nearer to the mainstream all the time.

-e

{Edit: stupid emoticon messed up my url --SK}

[Edited on 1/9/2009 by Saint Kurt]
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Garble »

Slarti wrote: Also, FYI, Disney owns, just to name a few major media holdings, ABC, ESPN, Touchstone, Dreamworks and Miramax. Miramax, until 2005, was the parent company of Dimension, which released such non-family-friendly fare as the Scary Movie franchise, Sin City, The Crow and several of the Hellraiser and Halloween sequels.

So I don't see this as the end of Marvel as an independent entity, or the demise of their more adult titles.
Disney also distributes Hayao Miyazaki movies. :)

Yeah, I really don't see this as a big scary thing at all. I actually like a lot of things by Disney. Gummy Bears, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Little Mermaid, Aladin, The Lion King and friggin' Pirates of the Caribbean...

Plus this isn't the first time Marvel has changed hands. Remember Toy Biz?
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Slarti wrote:
Saint Kurt wrote:
What major company period has ever done that?

Also, FYI, Disney owns, just to name a few major media holdings, ABC, ESPN, Touchstone, Dreamworks and Miramax.

Disney doesn't own Dreamworks, they just struck a 5-year movie distribution deal through Touchstone Pictures. Touchstone was created by Disney to distribute more mature films.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Elwing »

Marvel-Disney-Pixar mashups!
Hey, it's only a matter of time!:cracked
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

*giggles* It was bound to happen. We'll be flooded with cartoons and fanarts of this in no time *is amused* :LOL

Check this one out: http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/s ... 977&page=7
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

:LOL That's hilarious! My favorite is Goofy as Thor (mostly because I LOOOOOOVE Goofy!)

And I personally think Wolvie should be on California Screamin'. But Big Thunder Mountain works, too.

Oh, wait... now I'm envisioning a Wolverine-Indiana Jones crossover! Would THAT be an awesome ride or what?

[Edited on 9/2/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Jeremus »

LOL!
I love "Mickey vs. Marvel Universe".....it's more realistic.:evil
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote::LOL That's hilarious! My favorite is Goofy as Thor (mostly because I LOOOOOOVE Goofy!)

And I personally think Wolvie should be on California Screamin'. But Big Thunder Mountain works, too.

Oh, wait... now I'm envisioning a Wolverine-Indiana Jones crossover! Would THAT be an awesome ride or what?

It totally would be awesome... but Indiana is from Universal, isn't it? So unless there's a Disney-Marvel-Universal merge that one wouldn't work :bawl

Then again, I'm sure Disney would find a way to make it happen... :D
~Twitch~

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Marvel goes Disney!

wizardelfgirl wrote:
Dedicatedfollower467 wrote::LOL That's hilarious! My favorite is Goofy as Thor (mostly because I LOOOOOOVE Goofy!)

It totally would be awesome... but Indiana is from Universal, isn't it? So unless there's a Disney-Marvel-Universal merge that one wouldn't work :bawl

:? But Disneyworld has the Indiana Jones ride....
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:
wizardelfgirl wrote:

:? But Disneyworld has the Indiana Jones ride....
It does? *strains to remember* Oh man, I don't remember it. I remember something at Islands of Adventure, but not at Disneyworld...

This can only mean one thing: it's been too long since I've been to Disneyworld (like 6 years). I must go to Disneyworld immediately and solve this mystery once and for all! ;) :P

Now if only I could get the money...
~Twitch~

Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

hey. don't be complaining about not having gone for 6 years. I've NEVER been to Disneyland OR Disneyworld. And I'm 22! :P
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by steyn »

I see your 22 and raise you 26 years of never being in either Disney traps.
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by wizardelfgirl »

steyn wrote:I see your 22 and raise you 26 years of never being in either Disney traps.
Aaand the bets are on, people! Who gives more? :P

This only means one thing: we must ALL go to Disneyworld now and solve the Indy ride mystery once and for all! And if we have fun while we're at it, so be it; sacrifices must be made for the good of mankind.
~Twitch~

Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

steyn wrote:I see your 22 and raise you 26 years of never being in either Disney traps.
Yes, but you live in South Africa. I live in the same country as the Disney places and I've never been. I've even been to Florida once, but never made it to the Disney...
ImageImage

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by steyn »

No excuse. Disney is there to haunt everyone's dreams, not just americans.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Esynthia »

Yes, but you have a better reason than I do to have not been. You're a whole ocean away on a completely seperate continent. Not saying you shouldn't go if you get the chance, but it seems like every one in the USA has been but me. ><
ImageImage

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Marvel goes Disney!

Post by Jeremus »

Okay....I've been to Disneyworld, but only when I was about 12 so that was like 30 years ago.

So on the one hand I've beaten both of you if you count by years of not going.
But on the other hand, I've been, so you've beaten me by the fact that you've never been there.

(I'm so old and confused.)

But did I hear right that Wizardelfgirl was treating us all to a Disneyworld trip on her dime so we could go check out the rides? And she wants to buy the beer at the hotel in Orlando where all the Nightscrawlers will be staying?;)

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Marvel goes Disney!

waaaaaait..... I've never been to DisneyWORLD either......... must've been DisneyLAND.

I only know this because one time when we were there, some 270-something granny lady was celebrating her TEN THOUSANDTH go on the Indiana Jones ride. and she wasn't even a LOCAL. Seriously freaky, but now I'm gonna remember that there is an Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland for the rest of my life.
~Def.