Gail Simone about female friendships in comics

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

LIV4TheObsession wrote:
Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:From the beginning of time, females have been the "damsels in distress" for comics. Unless you're a villainess or Wonder Woman. And even she looks like she's got two soccer balls connected to her upper body.
Acctually, Wonder Woman is one of the characters that gets female fans pretty pissed off. When DC first created the character, she hated men because whenever her wrist gauntlets were bound together by a man, she would have to obey his every comand. Sound like S&M? Yeah.
r u serious? Wonder Woman always pissed me off, and that was just because of her costume. Are you telling me that pretty much any guy could take complete control of her? That's absolutely disgusting...... and now I can't think of a single strong female in comic books today! (Except villainesses).

And I mean today as in the present, right now. MJ Watson was pretty strong... then she married Peter and became wimpy damsel in distress.

Actually I took a psychology class in Cambridge this summer, and though we had always applied it to the workplace, some of the stuff I learned there can totally apply here.

For example, there's this thing called "Agreeableness." It's one of the five big aspects of your personality. People who are high on Agreeableness tend to be sympathetic, empathic, kind, warm, gentle... etc, etc. People who are low on Agreeableness tend to be more blunt, in-your-face, down-to-earth, tell-it-like-it-is.

What's really interesting is the difference in the way we perceive men and women on their Agreeableness. Women who are high on Agreeableness are percieved as friendly or motherly.... men who are high on Agreeableness are percieved as soft. Men who are low on Agreeableness are percieved as strong or heroic, while women who are low on Agreeableness are percieved as "bitchy."

Thus we have the spread of characters in comic books. Males tend to be low on Agreeableness (Wolverine, Cyclops, Magneto). Those who are high on Agreeableness are generally badly written or have crappy, wimpy powers(Nightcrawler, Spiderman). Women tend to be high on Agreeableness and completely soft (Shadowcat, Pixie) and when they are written low on Agreeableness, they're bitches or eeeevil (Emma Frost, Dark Pheonix, Rogue, even MJ Watson before Parker).

So if it's any consolation, this is a phenomenom that has been proven scientifically.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote: That's absolutely disgusting...... and now I can't think of a single strong female in comic books today! (Except villainesses).
You posted that you barely read any comics at all. Of course you can't think of any. :X

If you expand your reading beyond Uncanny (Emma?) you might find that there are more than you think. Look up Gail Simone (the person the thread is about) if you want some strong ladies.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
Dedicatedfollower467 wrote: That's absolutely disgusting...... and now I can't think of a single strong female in comic books today! (Except villainesses).
You posted that you barely read any comics at all. Of course you can't think of any. :X

If you expand your reading beyond Uncanny (Emma?) you might find that there are more than you think. Look up Gail Simone (the person the thread is about) if you want some strong ladies.
I stand educated. Snooping down to the comic book store sometime in the near future...............
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.