Deadpool

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Deadpool

Post by steyn »

Deadpool, aka Wade Wilson, aka The Merc With The Mouth.

There we go, much better, Deadpool, one of the most irritatingly loveable characters in marvel. Technically not mutant, this human was a mercenary and signed up at the weapon X facility in hoping for a cure for his cancer. A gene splice here, a tank of blood of wolverine there, and at the end of the day they had the perfect killing machine with one flaw. He was nuttier than squirrel girl's nutsack.

Deadpol has two "sidekicks". I'm using quotes because they're more like just hanging around with Deadpool because: a) They fear he will hunt them down and kill them if they didn't do what he say, and 2) they both think he's cool to be with. Who wouldn't? The guys is loyal, kind of, and he gets the job done! No matter who gets in his way.
Bob, agent of Hydra on the left, Deadpool in the middle, Weasel (Deadpool's technology, Battlestar Galactica and guns expert) on the right.

One of the best things about Deadpool's insanity is his ability to constantly break the fourth wall, in other words, he knows he's a comic book character. There are very few other characters that breaks the fourth wall as much as Wade, the only other person I can think of is She-Hulk, aka Jennifer Susan Walters.

So, what do you all think of him?

[Edited on 19/8/2009 by steyn]
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Deadpool

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I had heard of Deadpool before but I really got in to the character when I came by an episode of Cable And Deadpool, from there I read all the Cable And Deadpool comics mostly cause of Deadpool and after that I've been on the constant marathon of reading everything with Deadpool.

One of the best Marvel characters I know.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Deadpool

Post by Elfdame »

I only heard of him in that Ultimate Spidey issue (with Kitty in the grody green/yellow outfit on the cover). He was workin' for Mojo.

Or was that another one? My middle-aged brain can't even remember my own hubby's name sometimes. (Doesn't matter though; I know where and how to find him.)
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Deadpool

Post by neling4 »

I like Deadpool. I like that tuba player too.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Deadpool

Post by steyn »

In Ultimate, deadpool was a human who hunted mutants for televisional sport.
"Deadpool appears to be a human supremacist working with the Genoshan government to hunt down mutants on live television as sport."

Ultimate Deadpool

[Edited on 5/5/2009 by steyn]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Deadpool

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Most of your pictures are not working, Steyn.

Haven't followed Deadpool. I liked Agent X.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Deadpool

Post by steyn »

anyone else not getting the pictures? there are three from my ripway account, and the second one from the top is from wiki. The ultimate deadpool is from some other person's imageshack account. They all work for me, but I need to know which isn't working.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Deadpool

Post by Freak »

Everything working for me, the Ultimate Deadpool is behind a linky.

Ultimate Deadpool was far less funny, btw. And uglier. Had a skull made of glass, or something like that.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Deadpool

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

You all know where I stand...
I discovered Deadpool when I was bored and someone posted the first issue of Deadpool (skrull style). I couldn't get enough.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Deadpool

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Ultimate Deadpool is supposed to be getting a new intro back into that 'verse.

As for my intro to Deadpool? When the term "Breaking the 4th wall" was explained to me, it was in reference to him. I found him on wikipedia, found images online of his yellow speech bubbles, and before I knew it, I was talking to people about him and reading their spare comics with him in it.

I've only read Cable & Deadpool in the stores, never bought one, only 'cuz I'm broke and I only have so much money, but there is a lot of interesting aspects about this character that I find attract me to hsi story.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Deadpool

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I still can't see any of the ripway pics.

Crap, I just remembered some freaking hilarious drawings I saw... I can't remember if they were actually in the comic or not, but I know they had something to do with Deadpool and I almost died laughing when I saw them. I think they are still on my computer at home, I need to investigate.

Deadpool is on my to-read list. It's even possible that I have them already.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Deadpool

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I loved him in the last X-Force. "Bang, you're dead." LMAO. I don't want to spoil it so I'll leave it at that.

I'll try to scan just that bit if I can muster my butt over to the old computer.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Deadpool

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

He is cracktastic in that, I remember reading it in the book store. :D
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Deadpool

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

love the new icon Ult_Sm86
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Deadpool

Post by Elfdame »

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

I usually stick to very, very few newish comics when checking things out of the library; my eyes aren't that brilliant with figuring out what's happening, and there are so many characters whom I simply don't recognize.

But I checked out Civil War X-Men Universe, which has some X-factor stuff and then Cable & Deadpool, and am LMFAO. Deadpool sounds exactly like the way I write stuff. He's so funny. eg:
"Oh, Jackpot! Nubile Young Avengers?"
or:
"You're a Hong Kong flick fancy pajama-boy."
And he has more cutlery on him than a Ginsu Knife commercial, which is kinda how I loaded down my OC recently. Hilarious! The ol' more toys = more fun concept.

Of course, I like the Scrawlers Deadpool to the max. But the Marvel one is cool, too, now that I've seen him.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Deadpool

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Wait, hold on. Back up a bit. He breaks the fourth wall? Dude! He's the second comic book character that I've known to do that, and the first one is the Joker! Deadpool has got to be just the coolest!

How long was he Wade Wilson before he became Deadpool. You know, how many of the comics had him as Wade before the whole nasty transformation?

[Edited on 1/8/09 by OctoberHoliday]
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Deadpool

Post by steyn »

He was introduced as Deadpool, he was only Wade in flashbacks of his life. There's also She-Hulk that breaks the fourth wall, but not as funny as Deadpool. And yes, I agree, he is the coolest. Heck, in the wolverine movie, after alll the credits had gone up, his decapitated head looks at the camera and goes "Shhh" to tell the audience to keep quiet that he's still alive.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Deadpool

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Oh!! Dang, I missed that part! I'm so mad I left the theater! Cool, now I'm almost completely happy with the Wolverine movie.

So, was it the tranformation that turned him into a nutter?
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Deadpool

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I still think that was a shitty way to have him break the fourth wall. It's like their way of saying "Well, most people won't get or appreciate it (who aren't comic fans) so we'll wait until after the movie is over essentially to show that he does this."
I'm quite honestly put-off at how they did Deadpool in that movie, still. But that aside, from what I remember 'Tober, he was always sort of screwy, but I think the mutation definitely didn't help it.

And Joker breaks the fourth wall, but not nearly in the same fashion as Wade. Joker usually narrates a story or what not.
For Wade it's more like:

:cable "Wade! How the hell are you!? God, how long has it been, huh?"

:deadpool "Since issue 153"

:cable "Huh?"

:deadpool "Nothing." :shifty
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Deadpool

Post by Elfdame »

Which is soooo funny ... Mel Brooks is a genius at that.

Ooooh, that's it, Bman -- get MEL to do a Deadpool movie. (I get my cut when it comes out; run me in the credits as, um, "Concept Development" or some such.)

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Deadpool

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Haha, cool. Does Deadpool ever talk directly to the audience, or is that what you meant by the Joker narrating?

And I kind of liked how they let Deadpool do that in the end. I don't think he would have done it if he were still Wade. Movies like that usually don't let little things like that take place, the whole breaking the fourth wall. It tends to take some people out of the story. But the way that they had deadpool do it in the movie was good. At least they decided to let him to that.

[Edited on 1/8/09 by OctoberHoliday]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Deadpool

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yeah, he talks to the audience, but the biggest extent of fourth wall breaking Joker ever has really done (from what I've seen) is the narrating bit. He'll narrate a story, there is even a brief series of Arkham runabouts and a day in their life, and it is narrated by the Mad Clown.

Also, when he talks to the audience, it's always an aside, in usually the same fashion as a Shakespeare story.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Deadpool

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Well, thats cool. I've always liked characters who talk to you through the story, let you know they know where they are and why they exist. It's exciting.

But why are you put off by the movie Deadpool?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Deadpool

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I just don't think it was enough bang for my buck. I feel he was not done right in the slightest, between the modification of his mutant abilities to replacing the eternal battle between Vic and Logan with Logan and Wade... I mean Sabertooth has never been Logan's lesser, he's always been his equal.

Apparently the writers/directors of this movie didn't feel that was true and decided the only thing capable of giving us a fight worth seeing was some mutant with like 7 stolen abilities against Logan. Wade as just Wade should be enough fight for Logan.

I'd rather see him go up against two sentinels or another fight with Yuriko (Deathstryke if I spelt that name wrong), than see him tangle with a mangled Wade Wilson.

I also feel like they only sewed up his mouth just so they could have the "curiously cute Ryan Reynolds character who can't shut up" and then be able to say "Well we finally got you to shut up Wade".

His character is 100% camp in that movie when he has always ALWAYS been 100% Bad ass.

[Edited on 2/8/09 by Ult_Sm86]
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Deadpool

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Sure they made him sort of a comic relief, and they did seriously downplay his abilities to fight and such, this is true. I must say he kicked major booty, though, even though it wasn't enough booty for his character. Besides, I thought you guys were saying that he was meant to be funny.

In my opinion, he was the coolest thing in that movie. At least when they had that scene after the credits, his mouth wasn't still sewed up.

[Edited on 2/8/09 by OctoberHoliday]