Uncanny #415

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Uncanny #415

Post by Nandireya »

Previews up...

http://www.popcultureshock.com/reviews.php?id=1661

:surprise: Scored a 10! :D

No actual Kurtage...

But Bobby tells Warren off...saying Kurt's the leader but just wimping out?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Uncanny #415

Post by Panz »

GADS! Warren is SUCH a poop!
So....IS Kurt leader after all??????
I wonder if Black Tom "infected" Bobby with his mutation...maybe Bobby really is just fed up with War's attitude...hmmmmm.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Uncanny #415

Post by kurtlover »

Ohhhhhhh thanks for the preview Nadi
i don't like Warren's outfit sorry.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny #415

Post by Bamfette »

oh , i know! interesting possibilities in this preview to be sure... and i asked Chuck about some of them on his forum... as usual, no concrete answer :p guess we'll jsut have to read and find out ;)
Nemesis
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny #415

Post by Nemesis »

So the new costumes make their debut here. Looks ok, but to me those shades don't seem right for Iceman.

Another interesting character there, that blue skinned girl who claims to be from Genosha.
Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Uncanny #415

Post by Nandireya »

I'm gonna have to wait until December to see this...

I haven't even got #414 yet...should get it next week...

Damn monthly comic deliveries...I want 'em weekly! I want 'em NOW! :bawl:

I'll be on holidays soon...maybe I should make a little trip to the big smoke...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny #415

Post by MabusRex »

Hmmm...first of all, as Dave would say, where's the puking smilie for Warren's costume? God...just....eww. (K...that's overexaggerating. I'll admit it ;)) MAYBE if it was in blue, it might look better against the grey armpieces and stuff, but as it is now...Not liking it. And Bobby's glasses are almost TOO angular in Sean's depiction. But I think Asamiya will make them seem better.

Other than that, I'm still really digging Sean's art. God I'm gonna miss him. As for the story, it's interesting enough. It's rather obvious that SOMETHING'S going on with Warren to make all these girls swoon. Warren with a healing factor? He's had one before, so this isn't a totally character-changing ability from my perspective. Now, if Chuck wants to write it as such, it's up to him.

And I'm really not liking Bobby's personality lately. Being sarcasticly witty is one thing. Being overtly bunghole-ish? Not doing it for me. Now, that's probably a specific plot point Chuck is going for, and I recognize this, but I'm not enjoying this portrayal.

Am I gonna have to form a "Keep Warren as Leader" club? HUH??? ;)
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Uncanny #415

Post by Panz »

Ahhhh....Ryan, if you formed that club, that would suggest that Warren was officially the leader, which he is not...Warren took over calling the shots when Kurt had his break-down/whatever in the end of Casey's run. Unless, of course, it was another of Casey's off-screen character developments, like Kurt being "ordained".

What I am wondering, is if Chuck is planning on breaking it up into two sub-teams...he has a LOT of characters...too many strong personalities...it would make sense...I don't know if we have seen the last of his team additions either ;)

:P...besides, Kurt is a lot cuter.

Panz
Panz

MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny #415

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by Pandora
Ahhhh....Ryan, if you formed that club, that would suggest that Warren was officially the leader, which he is not...
You mean besides him being specifically stated as the leader in "Hope", not counting him taking the spot and being acknowledged as such by Logan in 409?

:P
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Uncanny #415

Post by Panz »

But I couldn't resist the opening....It would seem, that his "position" as leader is open for debate, at least among his team mates...now I will be the first to admit...Kurt has been anything but stable leader material, in fact with his rapid, whip-lash changes of personality, he seems just a few french fries short of a Happymeal...but, it will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Besides gloating is so addictive, like good chocolate, it's hard to know when to quit... ;)...and I am in a wicked frisky mood anyway

Panz
Panz

T.J. Wagner
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny #415

Post by T.J. Wagner »

I can't wait for this issue. By the preview it looks like it's not totally about Nightcrawler, but I hope it ends up being mostly about him.
* The Light of Evenstar * Guitar Picks (A Chamber Messageboard) *

"Does the outward shell really matter so much more than the soul that resides within?"
-Nightcrawler (X-Treme #18)

Feeling Blue?
:mystique: :bamf: :nocturne:
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Uncanny #415

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by MabusRex
You mean besides him being specifically stated as the leader in "Hope", not counting him taking the spot and being acknowledged as such by Logan in 409?

:P
But Logan also said: "...should we get Nightcrawler in here to show us the way...?"

Darkstalker
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

#415?

Post by Darkstalker »

Has UXM #415 come out yet? And if so, can somebody please tell me what happened? ALL the comic book stores have closed in my area, and I haven't been able to get a subscription yet! Someone please help! :(
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Uncanny #415

Post by Panz »

Hey darks, as soon as I find out for sure, I will spill da beans! ok? that will be tomorrow evening, and somebody will likely spill before me, but thats what I can do.
Panz

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny #415

Post by Bamfette »

yeah it came out and it RULED!!! it was, as someone at X-Fan put it, the SEX issue.

everybody was either being seduced, lusting after someone, or wishing they could get some. :p yes even Nighty :) he was in the the 'wishing he could get some' category. Northstar was lusting after Bobby, Bobby in turn was being seduced by a Genoshan refugee named Josette, who had earlier attempted to put the moves on Warren, and Bobby *almost* got some action, till the lil hussie's husband showed up and attempted to beat the snot out of him. then Northstar saves his ass, and Bobby utters the best line ever to Northstar "hey there handsome. nice suit. ocme here often?" ok it doesn't seem so great here, but in the book, the line rules.

yep. the sex issue ;)
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Uncanny #415

Post by kurtlover »

:bawl: i don't have it yet!
but thank god i can get comics again!
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Uncanny #415

Post by Elwing »

Eh, spoiler, I guess?

That was nice, I mean, a short scene for Kurt, but it really said it all. If I read this right, he feels his choice lies between going to heaven alone or going to hell with his friends. And Nightcrawler deals with lonelyness poorly. Exellent writing, and so true to character. I'm impressed.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Uncanny #415

Post by Garble »

Was Northstar supposed to be crying or breaking out or what?

Kurt. Making ultimatiums with the supreme being... not good.

Don't know why Bobby would say turning into ice is a secondary mutation. He's been doing it for years.

And refresh-lines gal needs to quit with the making-her-mud-hubby-jealous thing.

Good issue.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny #415

Post by Bamfette »

since this is a Nightcrawler site, i suppose we SHOULD discuss Nighty in here huh? ;)what did you all think of the beginning of the end of the priest mess?

I am not religious at all, so I am not entirely sure how someone who IS religious would react to that... but the questions he was asking are partly what keeps me an athiest, so it rang true for me, the kinds of things he was thinking. but i am curious to know what any Catholics out there think.

and i think the secondary mutation bit is that he is turning to ice....-permanently- he can't turn his skin back to..well... skin.

personally i am really feeling for Bobby. he has always been one of the 'normal' mutants, he had powers, but he looked just like a regular human, and i think he enjoyed the anonymity it afforded him. that point of him appearing to be an average person has only been played up since the beginning of Casey's run and into the beginning of Austens by having him teamed up with the likes of Kurt, Stacy, Archangel, Chamber... obvious mutants every one of em. he was the normal one in a group of freaks. he wont have that anymore, he is becoming one of those freaks, and i don't think he likes it one bit, and is infact a bit ashamed by it. I know it wasn't Austens writing, but he is taking cues off of what Casey was doing to make the two runs flow as much as he can, especially this issue with mention of Kurt's nightmares, Warren playing buisnessman, etc. anyway, look at Uncanny #397 when Bobby, Kurt and Warren were waiting at the subway station for Logan... Bobby was pretty uncomofrtable with eveyone staring at Kurt and Warren, and he wasn't even the one they were staring at. how his he gonna react when he can't hide it anymore, and he wants to go out to a movie or *whatever* and HE is the one everyone is staring at? and his situation can only be made worse for him by the fact that Warren his good friend is becoming LESS frekish after his encounter with Black Tom by losing his blue skin.... POOR BOBBY! :(
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Uncanny #415

Post by Nandireya »

I can't really pass judgement on the issue...I won't see it for a month...but I think you make a good point with the whole 'Bobby's afraid of becoming a freak' bit...

Kurt's always looked the way he does...he's had some 26 years to come to terms with it...

Warren's a fairly strong person, emotionally...he's probably over the moon that he's not blue anymore...but he managed to handle the transformation...

Stacy, I get the impression, doesn't care what anybody thinks...

But there could be deeper worries...

If he's totally made of ice...will he die if he gets too hot? Just melt away to nothing?

Will he be able to touch anyone? Will he give them frostbite?

Is he going to end up like Batman's Mr Freeze...having to lock himself away in some containment suit just to stay alive?

I can understand his anger...he's scared!

Malice
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny #415

Post by Malice »

I have yet to get the issue, but I am going to run out there and get it as soon as possible. My parents are catholic, and I suppose I was as well when I was very young. As I started getting older, I kept asking questions, wondering about things, needing explanations that made more sense to me. I couldn't help that I was naturally curious. My parents explanation for things was usually 'because GOD has plans that we cannot understand' and I just got to the point where I couldn't accept it anymore. I wanted to know why. I wanted explanations that made more sense to me. I dunno if that makes me a bad person or not. I'm very thankful that my parents eventually accepted me wanting to know more that just GOD being the reason for things. They wish I was catholic still, but they accept me for what I am. :D

As far as Bobby goes, well, I can only wait and see how he will handle the perminant ice thing. He's such a great character though and I'm sure everything will work out for the Iceman! :)
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#4

"Are you ever wrong?"
"I thought I was once ...but it turned out I was wrong."
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny #415

Post by MabusRex »

My problem with the Kurt scene was mainly where the hell did it COME from? I understand that Casey established that Kurt was only hiding his growing unease, but then Austen seemed to drop it completely and never refer to it again. To have him suddenly (and man do I mean suddenly...I was NOT expecting that kind of intensity from him any time soon) burst out yelling in anger seemed out of the blue, especially for readers who only hopped on with 410.

Now, aside from that scene, I really liked this issue. Asshole Bobby just seems to be around when confronted, so I guess I can deal with that.

But I do not like Warren's new costume. The top half is great, sure, but the utility belt down has got to change, IMO. Too clunky of a belt, and too...odd...for the loincloth.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny #415

Post by Bamfette »

well, i guess it goes back to the little problem of crossing over Chuck simply didn't know how Kurt would written in the final issues, and Casey even had #409 wiht an off-panel ordination that Chuck was completely unaware of when he started. he was under the impression Kurt was sitll a student priest when he started writing...

but even so, it's not that out of character. sudden, yes. but so were his mood swings at the end of Caseys run, and remember, so far in Chucks run we have only seen Kurt with other team members around. Casey established that he was happy-go-lucky in the presence of his team mates, brooding in private... you can't get much more private than atop a very tall cathedral steeple, so he was brooding. every other time he has appeared in Chucks run so far, someone else has been around. it still fits.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Uncanny #415

Post by Panz »

Well, I am not sure that I am the right person to answer this one. I was never a good Catholic and am not a Catholic at all any more. this entire heaven and hell thing has always bothered me, as well as the fact that what is a sin changes to match what ever the conservative social norm of the time is. I have had( and likely will again) very similar rants at God and understand Kurt completely. while it seemed a bit abrupt, Kurt has always been a moody person to one degree or another. His sense of lonliness and isolation is sad, and I thought, true to his character. Kurt doesn't just want sex...there has been any number of times in the past that he could have had a half dozen ladies, and he didn't. He wants what he said he wanted...Touch...sure sex is part of it, but not all of it. I always got the impression that Kurt was kind of a touchy-feely guy...the way he has solicited hugs from his friends in the past, etc. He is a cuddle starved unit.

I REALLY feel for Bobby...it is one thing to have freaks for friends, but to be one is a whole nother game...poor guy:(

JP is turning out to be one of my favorite characters and he and Annie have this strange little friendship going. I always hated his guts before, so this is unexpected...thanks Chuck!.

And Josette is NOTHING but trouble:P

I liked the issue, once again Bobby and JP get the award for best lines:kiss:
Panz

Malice
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny #415

Post by Malice »

I finally read #415 and loved it. Wish there was more Kurt in it, but its still great.
I agree Pandora... Josette is nothing but trouble, besides, Bobby is Northstar's man. heh.
I'm glad Northstar has become a member. He was always one of my favorite characters WAY before this 'coming out of the closet' deal, and I'm glad I can see him again. I feel for the guy. Loving someone who can't love you back (or maybe things will change?)
Anyway, I can't wait for the next issue. I like the preview they gave at the end of issue #415. I think Asamiya's art will fit this book, but I guess only time will tell that for sure.
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#4

"Are you ever wrong?"
"I thought I was once ...but it turned out I was wrong."