Manga Artists at Marvel

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Stormwatch »

Sean Philips, big difference in styles
:panther: 66 Bridges
:daredevil: 25 Cents of Time

But I DO have big teeth.
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Stormwatch »

no, Sean Phillips, different person. Did 404, 405, 407-409, 413-415.

(pencils and inks)

But I DO have big teeth.
wolviechickie
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by wolviechickie »

oki t'ank you...Sean Chen rules
jogurt
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by jogurt »

Im not really shure if i like Asamiya Style.
Generally is i´t impossible to say: hey I like Manga or I don´t like it. because Manga means much more than simply the way its looked.
Its much more an inner rule what makes Manga..The way how the story is adadapted the way of telling it. (and this is...in my eyes, difficult to do in a superherocomic with much less pages.
So can be only the way to draw beeing mangarish( and may backrounds or some alike)
At least I just can count him (on his current work on Xmen)only as an artist of an american Comic with his own style and not after serios manga rules and so I can just say: "The way he draw is not really the kind of draw i wanna see.Not in xmen" This is just a personal opion.
The second part and this is much serios to me is the question- where will it end?
You americans got your own personal comic cultur. A very special unique way of telling grafic- storys whats much differ from -may- the franco belgian way or the Italian way..of course from eastern style.
Iwas growing up in a country without comic cultur so its hurts me and cares me if your comics loose they own unique face.

The development to go in the manga direction is not new and its of course a) a genaral development not at least because of computer games and the culture evolution what implicated more than only comicindusty. b) its a cheap way feeling "hip" and fresh again. For Marvel. But its the question if its the right way.

The comic genarally is in the same situation as the classic art as fotography came up, at the moment, because of the new computer technologie.(and because of the Internet and the new way to publish the new tools to work with.)
If the Comic, in these form like we know him, will exist (exept from special publications) In ten or twenty year will the future show.
Net and print are the lovers of these Century and we´ll see how the children will look... (ok Im hardly on the border of changing topic here but its sticks hardly together so I need to say...sorry)
The Pyramid over Egypt links with the Pyramid
of Time and Illusion. It is run by I, Thoth or
Hermes, the Trickster and Master of the Game.
(AKA. Azazel;) )
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Bamfette »

well put, jogurt. American comics, however much they are critisized by some, DO have thier own unique feel, and it is a shame to see that replaced by another countries. it is not to say the other countries style is BAD... it's just not what American comics have evolved into naturally....

look, i love some anime and manga, mostly anime at this point, i've got quite a few anime DVD's in my collection, but i picked up Akira in manga since i liked the movie and checked out a few others, and a lot of it seems really cool. but right now Marvel is kinda doing what got them into trouble in the 90's... I don't think this has the potential to backfire on em to the same degree by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the same principle - slap something 'kewl' on the books to make a quick buck. in the 90's it was alternate holo-covers and cards and other gimmicks. right now, anime/manga is 'kewl.' a lot of people watch/read anime/manga because it is cool, they think it is cool *becasue* it is anime/manga, not it's cool *and* it's anime/manga. biiiiig difference. American fascination with this particualr style of art is a fad, and fads die out. I'm not saying manga will die out, the Japanese comic industry is the strongest in the world, it's not going anywhere. but it is not strong because of the style of art it is most often associated with. Slapping manga art on American comics will only help them sell better for a short time, it is not the answer to making them sell long term.

It is a shame to see a distinct look and feel for American comics take a back seat to a fad.
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by MabusRex »

You know what's weird? Check out the preview work for MARVEL DOUBLE SHOT ( found HERE ). Suddenly, Asamiya's noses seem of normal length. Maybe he's just doing the super-stylized thing for UNCANNY...

Also, check out the Asamiya editorial at Newsarama ( found HERE ) but BEWARE! MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR UXM 415 and beyond are there!
Nightcrawler_o63
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Nightcrawler_o63 »

Originally posted by MabusRex
You know what's weird? Check out the preview work for MARVEL DOUBLE SHOT ( found HERE ). Suddenly, Asamiya's noses seem of normal length. Maybe he's just doing the super-stylized thing for UNCANNY...

Also, check out the Asamiya editorial at Newsarama ( found HERE ) but BEWARE! MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR UXM 415 and beyond are there!
WoW!

It's a great work there by Mike Sangiacomo at Newsarama! "I mean noses that could be used to scrape grout out in between tiles."

Oh! And... does that mean that... Oh! ... (I hate Spoilers).
http://www.nightcrawler.web.pt

BECK in Truckdrivin Neighbors Downstairs (Yellow Sweat) "Grizzly Bear Motherf***er Never Goes To Sleep".
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by Nightcrawler_o63
Oh! And... does that mean that... Oh! ... (I hate Spoilers).
LOL. I WARNED you... ;)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Bamfette »

wow, interesting article... and what really strikes me as odd about the Hulk story...it reminds me of Phillips! how messed up is that? if he had gone with that style, and they kept Phillips on the book, the art would be consistent and really nice...

you know, i really don't have much problem with the noses. Kia is right, other artists exaggerate other things, let him do what he wants. I'll take big noses over giant Sailor Moon eyes, thank you. i myself have done much more styalized drawings, no biggie.

my only problem with the whole thing is what i stated above about the japanese artists *seemingly* getting preferential treatment and replacing the western style...
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Stormwatch »

So, maybe this is more his preferred style, but, he is also wanting people to accept it.

And Bamfette, I agree with your argument. I think Kia could be like some artists and be able to produce some variable styles.

And I would prefer this style, but, hmmm, I'm not totally averse to the manga style. I like when they can tell stories, and that is present in enough Manga artists.

The corporate aspects of it though, well, DC could be a good place to keep more american talent.

Well, I figure they won't really change, they'll keep it more "american"

What will come of this from Marvel, well, that's anyones guess. As per usual. But, I'd like to see Sal Velluto and Bob Almond do some Uncanny. Along side the ones going.

But I think Kia went with a style, that might be more family based, while also more cleaner and happier for the stories. But say, with the next arc, it could delve a bit more like Phillips, as that seems like a darker story, but I really don't know.

But, as to the Anime taking over Marvel, well, it is a fad. I mean, what with Anime shows being so popular on Saturday mornings.

But, I agree that too many people go for, its this, rather than, its good, oh, i almost forgot, and its this.

But I DO have big teeth.
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Stormwatch »

Oh for SWEET MERCIFUL.

Raynes was doing HULK.

Asimaya is doing the Thor story.

Damn, okay, no prefview pages for that then.

But I DO have big teeth.
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by Stormwatch
Oh for SWEET MERCIFUL.

Raynes was doing HULK.

Asimaya is doing the Thor story.
Doh...sorry ;)
wolviechickie
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by wolviechickie »

I read somewhere that all Kia wanted to do was change the way ppl thought of Mange...obvoiusly it hasent changed
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by Panz »

Too much of what is put out in any facet of the arts and entertainment industry, is formula these days, that goes from popular fiction, to top 40 hits to the comic industry...Manga is a formula anymore and so is the American comic style. It is no longer and art, but a calculated science. what has sold in the recent past is all that seems to count. I, like every other writer/artist want their book to sell, but at what point do you give in to fads and go with it ? I like Akira, Speed Racer, Gigantor...and some of the old school Anime. I like things that are new and different, people with a distinctive style...I don't want to see copycat art, and sadly, that is a lot of what is out there. I confess...Kia's big schnozes are growing on me. Kurt is lithe and sleek and handsome, just as he should be. If he keeps up the good work, I have no complaints.

I don't think that either Manga or Western style art should die, but to be a valid and exciting art form, it needs to grow and change. Stagnation is the antithesis of art.

GOD! I need to quit babbling!
"Nipper-kin, noddigin, knackity-knack!"
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Nightcrawler_o63
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Originally posted by wolviechickie
I read somewhere that all Kia wanted to do was change the way ppl thought of Mange...obvoiusly it hasent changed
What do you mean?

There isn't any big eyes :shocked: now all you have is big noses!!!

BECK in Truckdrivin Neighbors Downstairs (Yellow Sweat) "Grizzly Bear Motherf***er Never Goes To Sleep".
Nightcrawler_o63
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Thor

Here is a pic from the Thor story:

http://www.marvel.com/news/pictures/MRV ... 2)JPEG.JPG

They have noses, but they don't seem to be offensive :D:D

wolviechickie
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Manga Artists at Marvel

Post by wolviechickie »

Well I mean he wanted to change what ppl thought of manga not what it looked like...I like manga and with the xmen I think it looke great and I reckon it will be very popular and itll grow on ya...I might not...ya never know