The Marvel movieverse (Hulk spoilers)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

We saw The Incredible Hulk yesterday, and I gotta say, while the movie was cool on its own and I loved all the nods to the 70s TV series, what was really spiffy for us fan nerds is the way Marvel is tying together its universe in film. While the little bits in Iron Man were the set-up, Hulk confirmed that several things are coming together, and I don’t think it’s just for the team movie we all know is coming…

We don’t seem to have a spoiler tag anymore, so I’m just gonna say, if you don’t wanna know, don’t read anything past this.

SPOILERS:

This movie is just full of little hints and canon nods that we noticed on one viewing, so who knows how many there REALLY are. Of course the opening credits start it off by referencing SHIELD, Nick Fury and Stark Industries weapons being used to hunt Hulk. Then of course Tony Stark’s cameo seals the Avengers set-up.

The Captain America super soldier serum is clearly used on Blonsky before his gamma exposure, but what is cool about that is not just that they get the serum out of a cryonic chamber. The label on the chamber reads Weapon Plus. Isn’t it convenient that the next Marvel movie is Wolverine’s origin in the Weapon program? So, are they bringing the X-Men into the mix by capitalizing on the “Weapon Plus” name when they could have easily just given it some generic name or just used the old ‘super soldier program’ term?

And btw, there is no teaser after the end credits. We hadn’t heard, so us and a few other rabid fanboy types sat through them. Also, this movie was sold out at two theaters on a Sunday afternoon, so I think like Iron Man (which was sold out at one theater we tried to go to as well. Sold out after six weeks of release, no less!) it’s going to do well enough to keep the Marvel movies cranking.

[Edited on 16-6-2008 by Slarti]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I was really meh on the Hulk movie (really never have been a Hulk fan...and likely never will). It was lightyears better than the last, but the exciting stuff were all the nods to Marvel U, and I kept pointing it all out to my Dad as I watched. The cameo by Robert Go-Down-on-Me Jr was icing on the cake. I love that they're really pulling it together and creating a universe in the movies, and not just seperate movies.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

[quote]Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
The cameo by Robert Go-Down-on-Me Jr
[/quote]

*actually snorted tea*

Yes! It is awesome to see them tying everything together! Of course, now Scott is all hot to trot for a Namor movie… followed by a Defenders movie. He didn’t take too kindly to my suggestion Namor might jump the shark and take care of the Marvel movies. :shifty Though, in a way, the Defenders were the wacky team that dealt with lots of supernatural threats – so not so far off the Hellboy stuff. I DO really think a Doc Strange movie could be cool, if they cast a good Strange.

Scott’s the big Hulk fan, but I did watch the TV show as a kid and read enough of his Hulk comics to appreciate it. And it was way, way, WAY better than that other Hulk movie. ><
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Okay, seeing that we have the spoiler warning already, I just need to know, do you think The Leader will be in another Hulk movie, or do you think he's going to villian in Avengers?

You know, it would actually be awesome if they stick just like cameo nods of already made superhero movies like spiderman or fantastic four ((seeing that they didn't actually bomb)) in the following Marvel movies to come.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Just seen the Hulk and oooh yeah. The tie in stuff made me (try and) squeal like a little fangirl. Even my friend, who has just a mere passing interest in all the comic stuff - she used to read her ex-boyfriend's comics on and off - got fairly enthusiastic about all the little things cropping up that she either remembered from when I dragged her to see Iron Man, or from me digging her in the ribs and pointing stuff out. So, it's possibly not just going to appeal to comic fans, but also the movie fans who like to pay attention to details and fit pieces together. In actual fact I think she got more excited about it than me and left the cinema demanding the Avengers film as soon as possible.

I think they'll do more cameos where possible. It's a fan pleaser, plus it helps to slowly get the viewers used to the intergration of the films.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

1) Hulk was fabulous. Absolutely astounding. The last one sucked so hard and this one was SO much better. Words cannot describe but I'll do the best I can later in chat I'm sure. It was nice to see hulk take his anger out on something more than tanks and giant french poodles. :rolleyes

2) Iron man/Hulk/Avenger tie ins are nice. :D :D Thor is slated for 09/10 as is "Avengers" and "Captain America: The First Super Hero" Or something like that. We all know what Weapon X is gonna be.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I sat forever and felt like a tard at the end of the credits.

Loves all the references to the show and comics. Nice use of real world/ alternate universe collision. Couldn't really find much fault. Great Job.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yeah I did too, but the music was nice. I mean that too, I like the music during credits. Stay through Kung-Fu Panda when you go see it.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS