"Suddenly, the Inevitable" John/Christine fic

Timelined fics featuring our current students and others.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Takes place right after John and Christine leave Xaviers...

I need title suggestions...

~&~

The ride to the hotel had been relatively silent. They’d checked in without any problem, and upon getting to their room, John immediately headed to the shower. Christine sat on the large bed, pulling a few things from their suitcases, settling in.

Sighing, she laid her head back on the pillow, exhausted still from the trip. This wasn’t exactly what she’d expected upon seeing her daughter again. What had happened? Standing there, in that school, with TJ and her boyfriend, she felt….almost….superfluous.

She opened her eyes as she heard the door open. John stepped out of the bathroom, towel wrapped around himself and made his way to the bed. He sat slowly down on the edge, facing away from Christine. She crept up behind him, putting her arms around his neck, placing a kiss to his shoulder. “It’s a nice place, hmm?”

“It’s ok. It’s not home,” he told her, lifting another towel to dry his hair.

“No, it’s not,” she backed off a bit, watching him. “But, well, she’s happy. That’s what’s important right?” Right? That’s what mattered. So, it didn’t matter that Christine wanted to run back right now, throw all of Talia’s stuff in the car, and bring her home.

“She doesn’t know any better,” he stood, turning to his wife. “She doesn’t know how hard it is. She’s happy because she has friends, but she has friends at home! She’d be just as happy there. And she’d be safe.”

“John, we’ve talked about this-“

“I know, I know, it’s her decision. But, we’re her parents, right? Aren’t we supposed to help her make the right decision? This ISN’T the right one. I know it.” He sat again, staring at his hands in his lap.

“Are you sure this isn’t the right decision for her? Or it isn’t the right one for you?”

“For her! Christine, look at our daughter. She’s not like other kids. People just aren’t that accepting - you know that, I know that. And for eighteen years, we’ve been able to give her a normal life, and keep her away from people that would hurt her. Now what? We just let go, let her find out on her own how hard it is, and how cruel people are?”

She moved closer again, rubbing his back. “Yeah. That’s exactly what we do.”

“But she’s a kid! If we can protect her, then why shouldn’t we?”

Putting her arms around him again, she put her head on his shoulder. “She’s growing up, John.”

She felt his shoulders slump under her. He was quiet for a few moments. “When did it happen?”

Lifting her head, she tried to catch his gaze. ‘When did what happen?”

“When did she grow up?” He stood again, pacing a bit in front of her. “How did it all pass so quickly? God, Christine, I can still remember when she was born. When she was so tiny she fit in my arm. And when I could carry her on my back, or had to pick her up to use the faucet.” He rubbed his face with one hand. ‘Why did it have to happen so fast?”

Christine took a long deep breath. “Kids grow up. It’s what they do.” She stood, moving closer. “I couldn’t believe it today. She was so different. So independent. And John, jeez, can you believe it? She has a BOYFRIEND!” Christine fell backward on the bed. “I’ve never felt so old.”

He huffed a bit at that. “I don’t like that boy.”

“Well, he wasn’t exactly someone I’d picture with Talia, but…” Christine trailed off. Did she have a way to finish that sentence?

Personally, John didn’t wanna picture TJ with ANY boy. Let alone THAT smooth talking punk. He wasn’t about to tell Christine all that though. “Yeah.”

“What did you two talk about anyhow?” She asked, recalling they’d spent some time alone outside.

He shrugged. “Stupid shit. Where he’s from and what the hell he’s doing with our little girl. Do you wanna know what he told me?”

She waited for him to say it, and finally. “Of course, what did he say?”

John looked his wife in the eyes with a sour grimace. “He told me he loved her.”

Christine could feel a small smile on her lips. “Really? That’s so sweet.”

“SWEET?!” John responded. “What could that kid POSSIBLY know about love? And him telling Talia all this?” He sighed. “She’s going to get hurt. And I’m going to kill him.”

She chuckled a bit. He could be SO overprotective. “Sweetie, she’ll be fine. Don’t you trust her?”

“Of COURSE I trust her! I don’t trust HIM.”

Smiling, she put her arms around him. “They’re kids John. Don’t you remember being eighteen?”

“I absolutely remember being eighteen.” He practically growled. “That’s exactly why I don’t like that kid. Christine, did you see them when we walked in? He was on TOP of her for christs sake!”

“It’s college sweetheart. They’re young. And we’ve talked to Talia, I trust her to be responsible.”

He sighed. “College, eh? I can’t believe this is a school allowing our daughter to-“ he fought for the words, but came up empty. “do THAT with some punk!”

She rolled her eyes at him. “Hun, it’s not exactly the college’s business what their students do outside of class.”

“I don’t like it. We should take her home.”

Releasing him, she sat on the bed, putting her head in her hands. Christine looked back up at the man she loved. It was time to be firm. “We can’t just take her home John. She likes it here. She’s happy.”

“She was happy at HOME. Who knows what could happen here?” he argued. He wasn’t backing down. He was determined, he wouldn’t stop until Talia was buckled into the back seat, watching Xavier University grow smaller in the distance.

“She’s safe and happy here, John. Xavier made that promise to me when we let her enroll. And I trust him,” she tried. She could see the determination in John’s eyes, but she wasn’t going to let him try to talk Talia out of doing this if she wanted. This was ending in this room. “Besides, Kurt is here as well. He-“

“OH KURT!” he cut her off. “ Oh YES I FORGOT! Isn’t that just FANTASTIC!”

“Sweetie.” She stood, moving to him. Uh oh. Wrong topic.

“I couldn’t be more THRILLED my daughter is spending time with that-“ his chest heaved. He looked about to explode. “that SHIT HEAD who fucking ABANDONED you-”

“John STOP that,” Christine told him firmly. “Stop. That’s ancient history. It’s over.”

“Oh, I suppose he should just be forgiven then? It’s ancient history! It doesn’t matter he left you when you needed him! Because it’s ancient fucking history!”

She moved closer to him, pulling him into her arms. “It doesn’t matter. Not anymore. It’s all over.” She pressed a kiss to his lips. “And look what he gave us? We have a beautiful daughter, thanks to him. And what if he had stayed with me? We’d have never met. It was a terrible situation, but I don’t think it could have worked out better.”

He opened his mouth but….he couldn’t argue that. She was right. “It doesn’t make any of it right though. It doesn’t change what he did.”

“No, but it’s over. He’s not a bad person, John. He just made a choice,” she let go of him, leaning over to go through her bag. “Let’s get ready for bed, huh?”

They were silent for a minute, as he pulled clothing out of his bag, dressing himself. He watched her for a minute. “I didn’t like him telling me what to do.”

She pulled her shirt off. “I know dear.” Just let him talk about it. He’ll get it out and the subject can drop.

“Like, who the hell is he? Telling us we can’t take her daughter out? Telling her she can’t spend time with us? That’s not right.”

“It’s not.” Christine climbed under the covers, patting the bed next to her. “But we’ll see her tomorrow.”

John climbed into the bed. “I don’t want that kid coming to breakfast with us.”

Rolling her eyes, she reached up quick to flick out the light before snuggling up to her husband. “We’ll see what we can do. We can always just say no. Tell her it’s family time.”

He chuckled a bit. “When have I ever been able to say no to her?” He put his arm around Christine, pulling her close.

“Then I guess you better practice being nice.” She leaned up to give him a quick kiss, laying her head down on his chest. “Good night, John.”

“Night babe.”

They lay silently for a while, before a niggling thought came to Christine. “John, you don’t think they’re having sex, do you?”

His eyes snapped open, his breath catching in his throat. HIS little girl?! And that…that….that trash?! OH he was going to KILL THAT LITTLE BASTARD.

Not hearing a response from her husband, she sighed. “Nite honey.”

[Edited on 16/6/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:06 pm

LOL! That was really good. Poor Remy. But "that little basatrd" deserves it - he is always pawing her.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:45 pm

I got a great preview on this, but have been able to read it over and over and I love it each time. John and Christine are such nice parents! Even if they are going to kick Remy's ass!

Really really good emotional connection there. Its hard watching your kid grow up to shag a womanizer!

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.

chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:11 am

Ahhh! This is so good! Christine and John seem so real as characters and that whole thread with TJ's dad being all overprotective was really funny!

I don't think John will get much sleep now, which will only make him more cranky for breakfast :LOL

Title suggestions... I know you'll come up with something but how 'bout

-Leaving the Nest is for the Birds
-Daddy's Little Girl
-John REdhorn Contemplates Murder

eh - I don't know
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 am

I like "John Redhorn Contemplates Murder" the best, personally. Nice job!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:25 pm

I figured out a title....I think....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:53 pm

I like the title (and the story) but when I first saw it I read it as: "Suddenly the inevitable John/Christine fic." Like it was a sentence and we knew a John/Christine fic was inevitable and all of a sudden, it's here!

What a parental nightmare - especially for John. Let's see:
- His precious little baby girl has gone away from home (and LIKES it! Oh no!)
- She has a boyfriend who seems "shady" (Though I think to him even Doug would seem shady considering it's his precious little baby girl they're after.)
- And to top it all off, Christine's former fling and TJ's father who all but abandoned them is there as a professor.

Love it. Makes me wonder what my parents talked about when they drove home after dropping me off at college.

-e

Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:52 pm

I like it. A few little bits of dialogue don't quite ring true in my mind, but there are little tidbits that really draw you in and believe the characters.

Favorite bits:
[quote]"She has a BOYFRIEND!” Christine fell backward on the bed. “I’ve never felt so old.”[/quote]
[quote]John climbed into the bed. “I don’t want that kid coming to breakfast with us.”[/quote]
[quote]They lay silently for a while, before a niggling thought came to Christine. “John, you don’t think they’re having sex, do you?”

His eyes snapped open, his breath catching in his throat. HIS little girl?! And that…that….that trash?! OH he was going to KILL THAT LITTLE BASTARD.[/quote]

And I *really* like the apparent contrast between what Christine told TJ about Kurt and what she told John about him. Very real.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:31 pm

I love it. Christine and John are such the stereotypical parents, but in a good way! They're very realistic, and you can feel how they both love their little girl so much but in different ways. Very sweet. :)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.