New Tricks

Timelined fics featuring our current students and others.
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

New Tricks

Post by Svartfreja » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Timelined for a couple of days after [Instance]Friends in Dark Places.

Jess sat on her bed, frowning at the silvery spikey otter as it ate its daily serving of raw meat. She supposed it was kind of cute... and it was her only company until she could sneak downstairs to see Broo again. She figured she should name it. "Okay thing... your new name is Sharky." The silver creature looked at her, changing shape as it did so that now it had the head of a shark and the fins too... but still had legs.

"Yes.... very good. That's a shark. Uh... do you know what a corgi is?" It cocked its head on one side. With a sigh, Jess went to one of the encyclopaedias that Viper had left with her for some 'light reading' and found a picture. "This is a corgi." It changed shape again which made Jess far too happy - she squealed. "Yay! Good Sharky!"

She spent the remaining part of the morning teaching Sharky some new shapes to take that weren't as horrifying and even managed to get him to repeat some on command. It responded quite well to praise, she wondered if they'd been conditioned that way or if praise was such a rare thing that it was like a treat in and of itself.

Later in the day, Jess heard footsteps along the corridor outside her room and she glanced over at the door while rubbing the belly of the silver corgi. The footsteps stopped outside her room and Viper invited herself in.

She stood for a moment in the doorway, just staring at the scene before her. "What is this?" She gestured to the formerly ferocious creature.

"I've been teaching it tricks," Jess smiled at her, "It learns pretty fast!" She decided to demonstrate. "Okay Sharky... Rabbit." On command, the shape was taken, "Duck. Rooster... no, that's a hen, try again! There you go!" She giggled. "It's kind of fun!"

Viper raised an eyebrow, a small smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth. "Well, I suppose, as long as you're keeping yourself busy." She moved into the room, closing the door behind her. "I am glad you are settling in and making friends." She gave an attempt at a smile. "I am aware that you have been downstairs and visited another resident."

Jess chewed her lip, "Am I in trouble?"

"Certainly not. A curious mind should never be reprimanded." Viper sat down beside her on the bed, "And it is better that you are making friends when I have such bad news for you."

"Bad news?" a worried frown creased her brow, "What's happened?"

Viper sighed, "I wasn't sure whether to tell you, but I do think you need to have all the facts. It seems that Sebastian Shaw isn't quite so sorry you are gone as you are... and is perhaps using this situation to pick up girls." She presented some pictures, "Yes, that is really his penthouse. I have been monitoring things there for quite some time - since Sebastian was in England with Madelyne Pryor, in fact... and, might I add, some very interesting rumours circulated around the Hellfire Club about what they got up to while they were there."

Jess stared at the pictures of Sebastian with other women while she took in the information. It couldn't be true... she didn't want it to be true. She sniffed, shoving the pictures away and putting her face in her hands, not even pulling away when Viper put an arm around her shoulders.

"I am sorry to see you so upset but I feel this is for the best. It is better to know now than if you ran away and found him with someone else. Then what would you do?"

Jess nodded, leaning against her, the creature (now a corgi again) climbed into her lap in an attempt to cheer her up. She managed a small smile and scooped it up to cuddle it.

Viper removed her arm and shifted to face Jessica more, "I will leave you alone now... but let me just say that I am very glad you have made friends with Broo. He is, after all, your brother." She got to her feet, turning for the door.

Jess stared at her again, "What? How?"

"I will explain in due time. I must go and check over my facility and make sure they have made the necessary preparations correctly. Heaven knows we don't need any more people losing their heads." She rolled her eyes, "Tomorrow, Jessica." She waved over her shoulder as she stepped out into the hall and closed the door.

After a while of simply staring at the door while she tried to work out how she felt about all of this, she reached to pick up the photographs again determined to find any sign she could that they'd somehow been faked.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Re: New Tricks

Post by steyn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Hmmm...

Image Image

Yes... I can see the family resemblance...

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:42 pm

If jess would check the edges of those photos she might notice the glitter...

TechPrincess
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Little BABY!! Fairy <3
Nightscrawlearth Character: :jean :emma :husk

Post by TechPrincess » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:41 am

So much glitter!
Paige :husk -------- Emma :emma -------- Hope :jean

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator