Red Cracks

Timelined fics featuring our current students and others.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Red Cracks

Post by steyn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 am

Max sat at his computer, typing up yet another letter and filling in yet another application to a college. He had forgotten how many he had done that day alone, not to mention the whole week through. He was racking his brain trying to find a college that was willing to take him. He started to wonder just how horrible someone can be that even a beach college in LA would say no. He wasn't this depressed since his dog died.

Max played with his pen, thinking. What was his dog's name again... For some reason he remembered a dog, but he just couldn't place a name to it. Then he couldn't place the breed either, just the concept that he had a dog when he was young. Max frowned when he realized he couldn't even remember when the dog had died. He licked his lips and grabbed the half empty bottle of water, drinking almost everything, then looked over to the little cactus on his window sill. He stood up and leaned over, pouring what was left of the water in the tiny cactus pot, before sitting back down.

He looked over to the clock, it was nearing two in the morning. He was sleepy, but he told himself he'd head to bed when he finished the last application, and he only had four to go. He was determined not to spend the rest of his life in Circle Pines.

Sitting down, Max went back to typing application letters and forms, trying his best to stay awake, his head sometimes nodding downwards to the keyboard. A drop of drool suddenly appeared on Max's shirt, and his head popped up, wiping his mouth. Fingers back to typing on the keyboard. He'll have to send the applications in the morning when he wakes up. He just knows he made tons of typo's. He wrote something about how great potatoes are when he got to the Ohio college. He was not thinking clearly. He vaguely remembered writing something about a red herring when typing the application to even a Portland college.

Red cracks

Max snapped back up, so fast that he fell from his chair. His heart was racing and his lungs were screaming for air as he huffed. He was still on the floor, not moving for a moment before he scrambled on to his knees, opening a drawer and grabbing a pen and paper. He started scratching, trying to draw what he saw in that fleeting moment of dreaming. He was not an artist, far from it, and just couldn't get the picture how he remembered it.

Max sat on the floor, staring at the scribbled picture, not sure what he should be thinking. What he was feeling confused him so much. It was a deep longing feeling in the pit of his stomach. He felt so sad, and he had no idea why. He wiped a tear that sneaked down his cheek.

There was a light knock at his door and his head snapped up. He quickly shoved the picture into the open drawer before shutting it, and getting up. "Come in," he called in a hushed tone in case of waking someone. His dad opened the door.

"You're up late."

"Yeah, I'm heading to bed in a sec."

"You okay? Your eyes are red. You really shouldn't be staring at pictures on your computer that close." his dad joked.

"What? No! No no, I'm just, I was filling out college applications."

"Ah, well, you really don't have to, I told you, I know the faculty at Circle Pines college, it's no problem getting you in there, plus last we checked they have all the courses you want to take."

"Yeah, um.. yeah, dad, I'm really sleepy, mind if we just talk about this in the morning."

His dad nodded, "Well, goodnight. And don't sit too close to the screen when staring at pictures, you'll go blind or grow hairy palms."

"Oh geeze, dad." Max cringed as his father turned and closed the door behind him. Max waited a couple of minutes, straining his ears listening to the footsteps disappear into the silence of the night.

Max turned back to his desk and opened the drawer. He pulled out the picture he drew, and then several more. He scattered the pictures on his desk, sat down on the chair, and just stared at all the pictures. Max wished he could draw better, none of the pictures were even close to what he had in mind at the time of each one's creation. A mansion. A robot female. A lizard girl and a lizard guy. A bald man. A jet. An elephant with flowers. A mirror woman. A woman with green hair. A guy with red glasses. A blue... thing in a labcoat. And several pictures of this one girl. A red girl. Most of the pictures were crossed over with X's. After a long while of sitting and staring, Max gathered the pictures together and placed them neatly at the bottom of his drawer under other papers.

Max got up and went back down, this time on his bed, closing his eyes, with the image of that girl still burnt into the back of his eyelids, waiting for sleep to claim his tired mind. Within a minute Max was fast asleep. He did not hear the light hiss in his room, nor notice the mist softly coming down from the smoke detector and aircon vent. Max's dreams started out with the red girl, but eventually turned to nothing. He did not hear the door open once more, nor the drawer that slid open and closed, papers that crinkled, or the light click as his bedroom door closed again.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Re: Red Cracks

Post by Ult_Sm86 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:10 am

Intriguing...

It seems the "cracks" in the psyches are starting to surface, I'm wondering if I should some of Curt's cracking apart now. You have me thoroughly intrigued. G'job.

JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:51 am

OOOOH! So sinister! I love it! <3

puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:09 am

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Penny photoshop! :clap

Awesomely sinister fic there, steyn <3
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:12 am

It's a wonder what a person can do during midnight and 4 am.

Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:19 am

Ooooooh, wow, that's so amazing, Steyn! Love it! :love

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator