4/19 Transcripts: ULTIMATE LINGUISTIC POWER!!

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Mr. Wagner's Classroom
Cypher enters this room
remy enters this room
Mr.Wagner enters this room
>[Mr.Wagner] Welcome to the New and Improved Nightscrawlers Chat! If you are new to chat pick a color at the bottom and join in. We are glad to be back and we are glad to have you with us. Please help us continually improve our service to you by reporting any errors or problems you experience in chat in our technical support forums. Thank you!
Wanda enters this room
Jamie enters this room
[Mr.Wagner] ((Perhaps he teaches by reading some of the lit in the original language and Cypher doesn't realize it?))
[remy] ((HEHE like that em))
[remy] ((Do we use * * thingies if we are talking in our home language?))
[Cypher] (( that could work ))
[Cypher] (( I figure >
[Cypher] (( i mean ))
[Cypher] (( like Romani - doug has never spoken romani ))
[remy] ((cool - lead us off dougie))
[Mr.Wagner] ((Maybe Wagner closes his classes by reading a couple of pasages in the original language.))
[Cypher] (( and doug never realized ))
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Just PM me with the language you want me to be speaking. Perhaps this is ancient and obscure language day? Romani, Sansrikt...
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] Romani could work
[Wanda] ((Doesn't he just have to be near people and then he suddenly can speak the entire language?))
[Cypher] (( yeah, he speaks and reads every language he comes across ))
[remy] Remy sat listening to the teacher drone on about something that he was sure that he would NEVER use in the real world. Bored he tapped his pencil on the top of this desk, eager for the lessons end.
[Jamie] ((no he understands every languague..right?))
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Yeah - he'll read a couple. Romani will be one. Maybe Persian? Persian and Sandskrit are related Romani
[Cypher] Doug sat, very attentive. First of all, he loved words, second, he was still trying to get used to a BLUE teacher that looked like he came straight out of the Monster Manual.
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] oooh, i like persian.
[Wanda] Wanda sat resting her chin on her palm and staring dreamily out the window.
[remy] Shifting, Remy fussed in his seat. Could he excuse himself to the washroom? Not likely as he just did that 20 minutes ago, and no one had to go that much. Sighing he watched as wagner read passages out of the book infront of him.
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] oooh, i like persian.
[Jamie] "Must stay awake" Jamie thought....
[Mr.Wagner] Mr. Wagner picked up a worn copy of the collected works of Rumi.
[Jamie] Jamie continued to doodle on his notebook.....
[Wanda] Wanda watched the clouds drift by.
[Mr.Wagner] "We've read a little bit of Rumi now and as you can see, sometimes the meaning gets lost in translation."
[Cypher] Doug sat with his pen at the ready to transcribe what was read into his notebook, like he did at the end of each lesson. The words of ancient writers always gave him new things to think about during the week.
[remy] ((dougs a nerd ))
[Cypher] (( yeah - TJ & Mr. Wagner remind him of drow with dark hair and tails ))
[Mr.Wagner] So, in the portions of the Masnavi-ye Manavi that we've read we can here about his concept of unity.
AttackWomb enters this room
[Jamie] "I really need to get a dupe to learn some of the languages Wagner is spouting" Jamie thought.
[AttackWomb] ((watching))
AttackWomb exits from this room
AttackWomb enters this room
[Wanda] ((why can't TJ play?))
[AttackWomb] ((watching...fucking vicky))
[Wanda] ((looks up drow on wikipedia))
[Mr.Wagner] "So now, lets hear just a tiny bit in the original Persion to get an idea of how it was meant to sound. You'll hear the word 'twiheed', unity, a lot.
[AttackWomb] ((tj??))
[Cypher] Doug never got why Wagner kept going on about hearing the 'original' when he just read it in English anyway. Maybe he was translating in his head?
[Mr.Wagner] * Mr.Wagner begins reading a passage in Persian.
[Wanda] Wanda didn't understand any of the words - but she liked the way the passage sounded.
[remy] God it was bad enough when he could understand it...now...gah.
[Cypher] * Cypher copies the passage into English without slowing.
[Wanda] Persian reminded her just a little of the Hungarian her foster-father folk
[Wanda] Enough to make her feel homesick anyway
[Mr.Wagner] Mr. Wagner stopped reading.
[Mr.Wagner] "Sounds pretty doesn't it?"
[Wanda] Wanda nodded - she wondered what the blonde kid could possibly have been writing
[remy] Remy let his head fall to the desk with a clunk.
[Wanda] Maybe a letter to someone?
[Jamie] "Depends on if you have any idea whats begin said"
[Wanda] She should really write home - Wanda made a mental note to do that.
[Wanda] "It's a really lyrical language," Wanda added.
[Mr.Wagner] "Now Persian is a relative of Sandskrit. "
[Cypher] * Cypher copies the passage into English without slowing.
[Cypher] (( sorry, was frozen )
[Jamie] "Looks like Chicken scratch on paper."
[Cypher] Doug looks around, looking a little confused, then raises his hand
[Mr.Wagner] "It is 'lyrical' Wanda. Compared to Sandskrit, Persian is very song like."
[remy] Remy's ears pick up at that. Did the teacher just actually say sandshit?
[Cypher] "Mr. Wagner, why do you keep talking about reading the originals when you just read them in English anyway?"
[Mr.Wagner] "Yes Doug?"
[Wanda] (( ))
[Mr.Wagner] ((oops - outta sync! ))
[remy] Remy frowned at that. Teacher had been talking gobbledy gook for the past 5 min
[Wanda] Read them in English anyway? What was this kid talking about?
[Mr.Wagner] "The originals? Well, because they are the untranslated text in the native language in which they were written."
[Jamie] "Que?" what was Doug talking about.
[Cypher] He shakes his head, clearly a little agitated and starts pulling sheets out of his notebook. "No no, because I've been copying these down each time, and it's all English..."
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] If you work in a tower of babel reference i'll send you an internet hug.
[Mr.Wagner] "Perhaps when you hear the The Mahabharata - the 'Great Poem of India' in its native Sandskrit, you'll hear what I mean."
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Your wish is my command. Let him try a few more languages first.
[Wanda] Wanda crosses her arms on her desk and joins the class in staring at Doug - was he playing some kind of joke?
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] i'm not saying right now, but at some point
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Cool.
[Jamie] Jamie starts writing down a note...
[Mr.Wagner] "You've all read a portion of the English translation, so let's listen to what the scholars think it would have sounded like in Sandskrit..."
[Cypher] Doug rolls his eyes and pulls out a fresh sheet of paper
[remy] Remy sighed and flipped his notebook to another page. When would this end...
[Mr.Wagner] * Mr.Wagner began reading a passage in Sandskrit.
[Wanda] Wanda looked out the window again - listening to the words
[Cypher] * Cypher copies down what he hears in English without skipping a beat.
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Wouldn't it be cool if Doug couldn't understand this one because the pronounciation is off?
[Wanda] Wanda notices that Doug is writing again and tries to peek at the words on the page
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Since the pronunciation of Sanskrit is speculatory?
[Wanda] It didn't look like a letter
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Have him read back the passage - but it's wrong. English but Jibberish?
[Cypher] He looks down at the page and frowns in concentration, then crosses out a few words and corrects them, then stares at a line and just shakes his head. "That didn't sound right at all..."
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] on it!
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Yay! It will keep the mystery going.
[Wanda] Wanda decided that Doug was playing some kind of elaborate joke - he must be *really* bored
[Wanda] She waited to hear what he would say to the teacher next
[Mr.Wagner] "Do you see what I mean now Doug?"
[Cypher] "Ugrasrava, the don of Lomaharshana, surely named Sauti, well-rehearsed an the Puranas, bending in the humidity, once lay a roach the great pages of frigid vows, sitting at their easel, who had pattended the twelve years' sacrificing of Saunaka, surely named Kulapati, in the forest of Naimisha."
[Cypher] He blinks and looks at the teacher. "That's just some poor translating..."
[remy] Remy watched the clocks hands slowly turning. What the heck were these guys up to, and who really gave a damn...
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01002.htm - translated
[Cypher] He looks again at the paper, trying to make sense of the words.
[Mr.Wagner] Mr. Wagner frowned.
[Wanda] This was a good stratedy, Wanda thought, distract the teacher by making things up and there would be less material covered in class
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] Wow. It already sounds crazy!
[Jamie] Jamie flicked the note to Wanda....and wrote down a few more lines of the language Wagner was spouting....
[Wanda] They would *all* benefit from this game.
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] yeah, i kept it close but changed some key letters and words
[Wanda] "Ow!" The folded paper hit Wanda in the face - she glared at Jamie before reaching down to pick it up.
[Cypher] He doesn't notice the students around him, he's too intent on why a teacher would be doing this.
[remy] Remy snorted....smooth...
[Wanda] Passing notes in class... Wanda had missed out on this kind of thing - having been home-schooled her whole life.
[Mr.Wagner] "Very ... good. That was close. Have you read the book before?"
[Wanda] Close? That made no sense at all.
[Cypher] "In class, yeah, but this is just what you read." He's getting really confused now. He was used to getting picked on by the other students - but a teacher?
nights_dre enters this room
[Wanda] Wanda opened the note - carefully so she wouldn't be caught.
[Wanda] Mr. Wagner seemed completely distracted by Doug.
[Mr.Wagner] "Maybe we can talk after class Doug. For now I want to draw your attention to why these languages are important."
[Wanda] He was a wonderful actor - he really sounded befuddled by the whole thing.
[remy] Remy raised his eyebrow at Wanda. He was wondering what the note said.
[Wanda] Wanda caught Remy looking and moved the note so that only she could read it.
[Cypher] In an uncharacteristic bout of immaturity, Doug tossed his pen on his desk and crossed his arms. "Fine."
[Wanda] Aww, Jamie was apologizing for acting like an idiot the night before.
[Wanda] Hee, the blonde kid was throwing a hissy-fit - this was entertaining.
[Mr.Wagner] "I'm sure you have all heard the term 'Aryan' before."
[Jamie] "Hmm...two things going on at once, I still can't understand what Doug's doing..." Jamie pondered.
[Wanda] Wanda was happy, and a little surprised, that Jamie was acknowleding doing something like that.
[Wanda] Wanda sat up straighter, she had *definitely* heard teh word 'Aryan' before.
[Cypher] He just watched the teacher, wondering when the blue-eyed blond hair jokes would start.
[remy] Remy slid down in his seat. Maybe two bathroom breaks in an hour wouldn't be too bad. He needed a smoke BAD.
[Wanda] Wanda scribbled a short note agreeing that Jamie had been an idiot and thanking him for apologizing.
[Wanda] She folded it up until it was very small and then tossed it over to him
[Jamie] This class was going on forever.....
[Mr.Wagner] "The term aryan doesn't mean blonde haired blue eyed - it actually refers to all languages that come from these two root languages: Persian and Sandskrit."
[Wanda] "How ironic." Wanda couldn't help saying aloud.
[Wanda] Whoops, she hadn't meant to say that - she looked over at Jamie - had he noticed the note?
[Mr.Wagner] "Indeed it is Wanda. Hitler STOLE this term from linguists believing that it somehow represented a 'pure european' lineage."
[Jamie] Jamie picked up the note,ahh good it worked...thank goodness. Jamie smiled
[Jamie] And it was true he was an idiot last night, maybe this honesty thing worked.
[Jamie] And it was true he was an idiot last night, maybe this honesty thing worked.
[Wanda] Wanda was paying attention in class now.
[Mr.Wagner] "However," he said, laughing, "under it's true meaning, it would include Jews and gypsies. The very people the Nazi's persecuted. How's that for ironic."
[Wanda] Wanda just shook her head.
[remy] "Tres..." Remy muttered, laying his head back on his desk again.
[Cypher] Doug wondered who didn't know this stuff already - they were in college, for Christ's sake.
[Mr.Wagner] "So, to end this class - listen to this and see if you can hear the relationship between the Persian and Sandskrit you just heard."
[remy] End? Class? Remy listened to THOSE words...
[Mr.Wagner] * Mr.Wagner Mr. Wagner begins speaking Romani.
[Cypher] * Cypher picks his pen back up and scribbles this down underneath the sandskrit version.
[Wanda] Wanda smiled - she didn't reconize any of the words - but the rhythm of the language sounded familiar
[Wanda] She kind of liked this class actually.
[Jamie] "What language is this?" Jamie thought....
[Mr.Wagner] "That was the language of my mother." Mr. Wagner said, switching back to English.
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] did you read the same thing again?
[Wanda] Wanda blinked - she wondered what Mr. Wagner's mother looked like.
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] No, he started saying funny Rom proverbs like "you can't milk a cow with no arms." Let me find the web sit.
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] here it is: http://www2.arnes.si/~eusmith/Romany/phrases.html
[Cypher] * Cypher looks down at the page when he's done and looks around, wondering if anyone else had heard what the teacher just said
[Wanda] "That's Romani, isn't it?" Wanda asks.
[Mr.Wagner] "She was Romani, otherwise known as a 'gypsy'."
[Wanda] "It sounds so familiar, but I can't really make out the words."
[Mr.Wagner] "Yes, very good Wanda."
[Cypher] "In a village without a dog a man can walk without a stick?"
[Wanda] Wanda blinks again, Doug spoke Romani?
[Cypher] "The droppings of the flying bird never fall twice on the same spot?"
[Jamie] "So close to the end of class yet so far away" Jamie sighed.
[remy] "Didn' know 'dere was such a thin' as a gypsy language" Actually he had a hard time imagining wagner had a mother as well...was she blue too? Must look like a raisin if she was...
[Mr.Wagner] Mr. Wagner looked astonished.
[Mr.Wagner] "yes, Doug. I was saying some of the Rom proverbs my mother used to say when I was a child."
[Cypher] "Well yeah, it didn't sound anything like a Persian poem."
[Mr.Wagner] Mr. Wagner smiled. "I have a hard time hearing the similarities as well."
[Mr.Wagner] "Okay. Good job everyone. For our next session we're going to continue with our inquiry in the Aryan languages with the Bhagavah Ghita. Check the syllabus for the readings.
[remy] "" Remy slid his chair out from the desk, glad for the reprieve.
[Mr.Wagner] "And Doug, if you could stick around for a moment."
[Cypher] Doug just shook his head and picked up his 'ancient readings' pages he'd copied in class and decided to get to the bottom of this.
[remy] Remy headed for the door, determined to get a 'breath of fresh air'
[Cypher] "Sure, sure." He brings the pages up to Mr. Wagner, hesitating just a moment as he approached as he realized he'd never gotten close to any of the obviously different mutants before.
[Jamie] "Yah it's over..." Jamie laughed happily, and got up from his chair to leave
[remy] ((join us later on the patio?? c'mon jamie and chic))
remy exits from this room
[Wanda] Wanda checks her syllabus and checks the section with the required reading on it.
[Wanda] Then she gets up and follows Jamie out the door.
Wanda exits from this room
[Jamie] ((okay))
Jamie exits from this room
[Mr.Wagner] "How do you know how to speak Romani, Doug?"
[Cypher] "I don't. The other students might think that putting on a different accent counts as a different language, but all I've heard so far this semester is English."
[Cypher] He hands him his 'ancient languages' transcriptions. "Just say you're reading translations, okay?"
[Mr.Wagner] Mr. Wagner took the papers and looked at them.
[Cypher] The small stack of papers contain transcriptions of all of Mr. Wagner's previous readings from the original languages into perfect English.
AttackWomb exits from this room
[Mr.Wagner] "You're copying these from when I read at end of class?
[Cypher] He nods. "Yeah."
[Mr.Wagner] ""
[Mr.Wagner] ((Those are lame brackets....))
[Cypher] He rolls his eyes, really tired of this joke and grabs the persian text Mr. Wagner was reading from and begins reading from it.
[Cypher] ((sorry, sandskrit version))
[Cypher] "n?r?ya?a? namask?tya nara? caiva narottamam..."
[Cypher] "See? Just English."
[Mr.Wagner] "No, that was Sandskrit."
[Cypher] Frustrated, Doug throws the book down in front of Mr. Wagner and points to the passage he just read and ... stops.
[Cypher] He narrows his eyes at the text on the page, taking some time to look at it. "Wait..."
[Cypher] "...I don't know sandskrit..."
[Mr.Wagner] "Doug, you told Xavier you knew you were a mutant. Do you know what your mutant ability is?"
[Cypher] He looks up at Mr. Wagner. "I don't know sandskrit, do I?"
[Cypher] He shakes his head. "Xavier said I was a mutant."
[Mr.Wagner] "Nobody knows Sandskrit Doug. All that survives are texts."
[Mr.Wagner] "There are only guesses as to what it sounds like."
[Cypher] "I don't get it... I could have sworn it was English a few minutes ago..."
[Mr.Wagner] "And people are trying to preserve Romani, but nobody truly speaks it."
[Cypher] "That's..." Doug looks really confused. "You really weren't speaking English?"
[Mr.Wagner] "No," Mr. Wagner shook his head. "I wasn't."
[Cypher] He collapses in the nearest chair and puts a hand to his forehead. "Oh."
[Mr.Wagner] Mr. Wagner moved around and knelt beside him. "Do you know the story of the Tower of Bable?" he asked.
[Cypher] Doug just looks over and doesn't answer - he wants to see where Mr. Wagner is going with this.
[Mr.Wagner]>[Cypher] So I think Mr. Wagner will tell this story - and ask Doug to think about it as well as to keep track of other times he thinks he's hearing or seeing English when it's not. Then he will send him out to his buddies on the patio.
[Cypher]>[Mr.Wagner] works for me
[Cypher] "Thanks, Mr. Wagner. I'll try and keep track."
nights_dre exits from this room
[Cypher] Doug goes out to join the others after class...
Cypher exits from this room
[Mr.Wagner] ((Holy short hand! I was still looking up what to write!"
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Patio

Post by Saint Kurt »

remy enters this room
[remy] remy wasted no time flicking a cigarrette alight and inhaled blissfully
Wanda enters this room
Jamie enters this room
[Wanda] Wanda wondered out to the patio and took a breath of fresh air - that wasn't quite so fresh
[Wanda] She moved upwind of the cigarette smoke.
[remy] Remy waved at wanda. "remy never thought dat would end"
[Wanda] "Well, that class wasn't so bad," Wanda says conversationally, "I could almost believe it was a *real* college class."
[Jamie] "Crap, I need to run in and get something..." Jamie remebered and headed back towards the door...
[Wanda] Wanda rolled her eyes at Jamie - there was something she wanted to talk to him about.
[Wanda] "Remy, what did you think about what that Doug kid was doing."
Nocturne enters this room
[Wanda] "Was he playing some kind of prank or what?"
[remy] Remy snorted in disbelief. "Dat wasn't bad? What in de 'ell are we ever gonna use dat for. It's not like deres herds of gypsies runnin around 'ere"
[Nocturne] TJ stepped out onto the patio, scratching her head and yawning.
Jamie enters this room
[remy] "beats me, petite..." Remy shrugged apologetically.
[remy] Spying TJ Remy broke out in a huge grin "CHERE!"
[Wanda] "Hey," Wanda said, "My foster-father's Rom - I think it's a *beuatiful* language."
[Nocturne] She looked at the other three through sleepy eyes. "What's going on?" she yawned.
[Wanda] "Hey TJ!" Wanda said cheerfully. It looked as though Remy's other half had arrived.
[Jamie] "I'm back, Jamie, walked in with a package under his arm, "Hey T.J." Jamie vaguely greated her.
[remy] "well, Remy's not deny'in dat petite...but how we gonna use dat 'ere?"
[Nocturne] She headed to Remy. "Where the hell have you been?"
[remy] ((LOL))
[remy] "In class!" He held up his hands defensivly "Where should have remy been?"
[Nocturne] "CLASS?!"
[Wanda] Had TJ slept throuhg *all* of today's classes?
[Nocturne] "Shit, did we have class!!"
[Wanda] Jamie was back and he was carrying something.
[Nocturne] "Dammit, Remy, why didn't you wake me!"
[Jamie] "Here Wanda, second part of what the note started." Jamie handed her the package.
[Wanda] ((What time of day is it?))
[remy] "Oui..." he winked "Cause Remy though' dat you were pretty sleepin"
[Wanda] "What?" Wanda took the package reflexively, surprised.
[remy] "sides which, yah didn' miss anythin' chere, less you wanna join de gypsies"
[Nocturne] She rolled her eyes with a sigh, leaning against him. "Well, thanks"
[Wanda] She shook it carefully, "This isn't goign to explode on me, is it?"
[Jamie] "Nope, unless that's the package I got for Jean" Jamie laughed.
[Nocturne] She raised an eyebrow at this package Jamie was giving Wanda. Well well, what was going on here?
[remy] Remy slipped an arm around her. Heh, looked like Jamie was trying to impress the femme.
[Wanda] "Well, I wouldn't put it past some of your other dupes." Wanda said. And wondered yet again if she was talking to the real Jamie.
[Wanda] "It's Rom, by the way, Remy," Wanda said. "Gypsy is kind of a derogatory term."
[Wanda] She shook the package again, "What's the occaision?"
[Nocturne] She yawned again. "So, whats with the gypsies?"
[Jamie] "Neither would I"
[remy] "Oui? Sorry petite, Remy didn' know"
[Wanda] Wanda shrugged and started to open the package - why was Jamie giving her presents now?
[Wanda] Yesterday he'd thrown her into a pool with all her clothes on and she'd had to walk up to her room sopping wet.
[Nocturne] "What lass was it anyhow?" she really should read her schedule
[Jamie] "Like I said it's part of the two-part aplogy for me acting like an idiot, yesterday." Jamie grinned.
[remy] Remy snuggled TJ against him "Uhhh world somethin' chere"
[Wanda] Wanda opened the package.
[Nocturne] Two part apology? She wondered what the second part was..
[Nocturne] She wrapped her arms aroun Remy. "Ugh, with Wagner? Not so upset I missed it."
[Wanda] "A boxed set of the Narnia chronicles?!" Wanda said
[Wanda] "When did you get these?"
[remy] "Oui. An' de 'omme didn't even bother speakin' english for 'alf of it"
[Nocturne] Whoa, where was Jamie getting this money?
[Jamie] "Had a dupe go into town this morning."
[Wanda] Wanda nodded, "Wow, this was really nice of you." Jamie had lots of extra cash - oil money.
[Nocturne] TJ opened her mouth to say something to Remy......but just rolled her eyes. Sarcastically, she said "Oh, I know. Don't you just HATE that, homme?"
[Wanda] "I guess you're forgiven, for yesterday." Wanda smiled at Jamie.
[remy] Remy chuckled "But dat's different chere, Remy thought dat you liked me whiperin' in your ear"
[Nocturne] TJ yawned again and snuggled closer to Remy.
[Wanda] Wanda half listened to Remy and TJ's flirting. An English copy of a childhood favorite - she hadn't read these in years, maybe it was time she looked at them again.
[Jamie] "Well now that that's settled." Jamie leaned againest a wall.
[Wanda] Some paper fell to the patio deck when Wanda turned the book set over.
[Wanda] "Settled?" Wanda asked raising an eyebrow.
[Wanda] Wanda bent down to pick the paper up - it looked like a book of tickets stapled together.
[Jamie] "What? I feel better now." Jamie shrugged.
[remy] Remy cocked his head at Jamie. He felt better? When the femme was just starting to get suspicious?
[Wanda] "Ooh," She said surprised as she flipped through them. They were coupons - good for one task preformed by a dupe. There were seven of them.
[Wanda] "I'll be taking good care of these," Wanda said, putting the tickets safetly in her pocket."
Cypher enters this room
[remy] Remy laughed. Oh yeah...he knew what Jamie really wanted to write on those tickets.
[Cypher] * Cypher walks out onto the patio, still looking a bit confused.
[Wanda] "So, are there any limits to what these tickets are good for?" She asked Jamie.
[remy] "Bonjour Doug" Remy waved him over "What was de lecture about?:
[Wanda] She noticed that the wierd blonde kid had wandered outside.
[Jamie] "Well I guess not..." Jamie answered....
[Cypher] He looks over at Remy. "Oh. Apparently he wasn't speaking English, and I know sandskrit."
[Wanda] She wondered if he'd gotten a talking to about distrupting class.
[Nocturne] "Hey Doug!" TJ waved
[remy] Remy frowned "You know sandskrit?"
[Wanda] Wanda waved too. Then she turned back to Jamie.
[Cypher] He waves over to TJ with a small smile. She was cute even if she was blue... and had yellow eyes... and a tail sometimes?
[Cypher] He shrugs. "Apparently."
[Wanda] "You do realize these can be used for *evil*, don't you?"
[remy] "Didn' know dat dey taught dat in highschool"
[remy] Remy shifted a little, placing one arm tighter around TJ.
Mr.Wagner enters this room
>[Mr.Wagner] Welcome to the New and Improved Nightscrawlers Chat! If you are new to chat pick a color at the bottom and join in. We are glad to be back and we are glad to have you with us. Please help us continually improve our service to you by reporting any errors or problems you experience in chat in our technical support forums. Thank you!
[Cypher] "They don't. I don't know where I learned it." He thinks a moment, then asks remy, "Hey, do you ever speak anything other than English?"
[Mr.Wagner] ((don't mind me...))
[Wanda] "You speak Romani too," Wanda said.
[Cypher] "Well, yes and no..."
[Wanda] "Where did you learn that?"
[Nocturne] TJ lays her head on Remy's shoulder, yawning again.
[remy] Remy snorted. "De accent didn' give me away? Remy's a full blooded cajun."
[Jamie] "Yeh, I guess I do know," Jamie was beginning to wonder if this was a bad idea.
[Cypher] "Well yeah, you've got an accent, but do you speak anything other than English?"
[Nocturne] TJ shrugged. "I don't know any other language. Not really. Unless you count, like burrito.'
[Wanda] Wanda smiled evilly, she thought Jamie looked a little nervous, "I'll definitely be making good use of these." She told him.
[remy] "<Of course. Wagners mother is a dried up blueberry. Is that what you meant?>"
[Wanda] Wanda laughed - she knew enough French to know exactly what Remy had said
[Nocturne] *sigh* french french frenchie mcfrench
[Cypher] "Well yeah, you've got an accent, but do you speak anything other than English?"
[Jamie] "Tengo una mala sensación sobre esto." Jamie sighed <I have a bad feeling about this>
[Cypher] (( damn chat! ))
[Nocturne] ((chat succccccccccccccccks))
[Wanda] She'd been wondering about their teachers mother earlier - Remy's comment inspired an amusing picture in her mind
[Cypher] "Oh..." He thinks really hard. "Is that what French really sounds like?"
[remy] Remy frowned. "Dat was french"
[Wanda] "That was Cajun French." Wanda told him.
[remy] Raising one eyebrow he tried to really test this. "<Remy's so tired of class today because TJ and I were up screwing all night.>"
[Wanda] That was way more than Wanda wanted to know.
[Cypher] He looks quickly between the two of them, a blush rising to his cheeks. "Oh... kay..."
[Nocturne] She had no frikken clue what anyone was saying. But, well, it sounded nice.
[Jamie] Jamie snorted he knew some French, well his dupe was working on it.
[remy] "You understood dat 'omme?"
[Cypher] Then his eyes take on a quick clarity. "Wait... I could hear it that time. It was like a subvocalization underneath what my brain was processing..."
[Wanda] "Oh, I think he did," Wanda says, noticing Doug
[Wanda] Doug's face has turned red.
[Wanda] *had
[remy] "A what?"
[Wanda] Subvocalization?
[Wanda] So he heard voices?
[Cypher] "It's like layering tracks - you have one track playing English at a regular volume, but much lower and scarcely noticeable is a track playing French that you wouldn't hear unless you were really listening to it..."
[Cypher] His eyes widen. "Holy shit... I really am a mutant."
[Nocturne] TJ rolled her eyes. "Yeah, welcome to the club."
[remy] Remy burst out laughing at that. "Well didn' think dat dey invited you 'ere for de 'ell of it 'omme"
[Wanda] "Well no kidding," Wanda said, "We all are."
[Cypher] "But I'm ... uh ... that's to say I ..." He stops a moment to collect himself. "I know, but I can't fly or zap things or do anything special."
[remy] "So what does dis mean den, 'omme? Y'can understan' all of it?"
[remy] "Like de sandshit, de rom, de french... all of it?
[Cypher] "It's all English to me." He pauses, then restates: "It all sounds like English to me. I just understand it."
[Wanda] "Well, that's a...useful power." Wanda says.
[Wanda] "And you can, well" she glances at TJ, "Blend in easily."
[Jamie] "And to think I waste my time sends dupes out to learn languages."
[Nocturne] TJ lets out another yawn, seperating from Remy to stretch out her arms. Jesus, she was tired as hell.
[remy] Remy nods. "Remy be careful what he say around you den" he winks at doug.
[remy] Remy notices her tiredness. C'mon chere, y'need to go lie down, Remy kept y'up again" He gives her a peck on her brow
[Wanda] Wanda rolls her eyes at Remy's words.
[Nocturne] She smiles at him. "Maybe a quick nap. Or shower?"
[Cypher] He shakes his head and just sort of grins. "I have a mutant power..."
[remy] Remys eyebrows raise at that "Shower sound's really nice chere."
[Wanda] This Doug kid was *strange* Wanda gave him an odd look.
[Jamie] "Well come to the club I got some tequlia from last night..." Jamie smirked
[Wanda] "Club? And can't you make a room full of tequila?"
[Cypher] Thinking about french, he replies without really thinking, "<No, I'm too young to drink.>"
[Nocturne] She gives Remy a devious grin and grabs his hand, pulling him toward the door. "We'll be back!"
[Wanda] <Around here, no one is too young> Wanda answers him in French <Where were you last night?>
[remy] Remy snorts hearing that. Y're never too young! He pats Doug on the back "Congrats on joinin' de rest of us crazy people 'ere doug"
[Cypher] He smiles at the feeling of inclusion from the group. "<Hey, thanks Remy. I was studying last night.>"
[Wanda] Wanda picks up her book set and makes sure the tickets are safe in her pocket.
[Jamie] Yeah last night was fun, ya missed some great stuff Doug.
[remy] Remy follows TJ through the door, giving her ass a sly pinch on the way
Nocturne exits from this room
[Wanda] "You could start a bootleg liquer business." She tells Jamie, "No more Raven having to impersonate staff."
Nocturne enters this room
[Nocturne] ((oops...night guys! gotta get to bed early for onces this frikken week))
Nocturne exits from this room
[Wanda] ((Night Nacht!))
[Cypher] (( night! ))
[Jamie] "Sounds like fun, the same fees would apply for my jewelry duplication, hot ladies free, other people, it's gonna cost them." Jamie grinned.
[Mr.Wagner] ((I've already transcribed the classroom.}}
[Wanda] "You'll have the market cornered," Wanda says, "And it's not like it costs you anything to make stuff."
[Wanda] ((Is that a hint ))
[Cypher] His smile slowly fades as he watches the two, their body language sending a pretty clear message. "I've got some studying to do."
[Jamie] "I'd just need to get the stuff first..."
[Mr.Wagner] ((No. I was just in there and we weren't going back so I trancra'
[Wanda] "Okay Doug," Wanda says, "But, how much do you really need to study?"
[Jamie] "It's not like classes are that hard..."
[Cypher] He starts to answer, then stops. "I... guess I don't, really. I'm just used to it."
[Wanda] "This is like a community college's community college."
[Wanda] "Used to it?"
[Jamie] "If ya want to study so much go to Rice, Doug."
[Wanda] "There's only so much to study - and most of it you can get away with not looking at..."
[Cypher] He shrugs. "I didn't really have many friends. Aside from our weekly D&D and Magic night, I didn't have anything else to do."
[Wanda] "It's really not so much of a work-load here as I was expecting." Wanda shrugs.
[Wanda] Wanda doesn't know what D&D is. "Magik? Are you wiccan?"
[Cypher] "Huh? No, like the card game. You know, Magic the Gathering?"
[Jamie] "I'm sure we can find stuff for you to do, how about Bowling?" Jamie grinned.
[Wanda] Wanda blinks, card game? Gathering she understands - wiccans usually congregate.
[Mr.Wagner] ((Actually the classes are quite challenging. They require a lot of individual thought and study.))
[Wanda] Wanda didn't want to think about bowling after what had happened.
[Wanda] (( maybe it's too early in the year for Wanda to have noticed that ))
[Cypher] "Bowling? I'm not too good at sports..."
[Wanda] "Bowling isn't a sport, it's rolling a ball down an alley and knocking over pins."
[Jamie] "I'm sure ya'd be fine at bowling, it's not like Football, or anything." Jamie shrugged.
[Wanda] "You might like it, but not around here." Wanda shakes her head. "The local bowling place isn't very friendly."
[Wanda] "To our kind."
[Jamie] "Wanda, when you manage to keep the ball on the lane you can say Bowlings not a sport" Jamie laughed.
[Cypher] "Oh... our kind. Right." He'd forgotten that whole downside to being a mutant business.
[Jamie] "Hey it's not like we can't take any bigot who tries to attack us..."
[Wanda] Wanda nods, "I never realized it was quite so *bad* out there. My parents kept me pretty well protected.
[Wanda] She glares at Jamie for the 'gutterball' comment. She thought she'd done all right for her first time bowling.
[Cypher] "Wait, attack us? Take them down? What am I going to do, ask them politely in sandskrit to stop?"
[Wanda] "You're lucky," she tells Doug, "Your power won't surprise anyone."
[Jamie] ((note: to be seen in the "Adventures of Jamie and Wanda." sorry couldn't resist.))
[Wanda] "You don't have to worry about being attacked."
[Jamie] "Well ya could start spouting random languages, confuse em."
[Jamie] "I don't either," Jamie grinned "Or if I am I've got some friends to back me up."
[Wanda] "You'll know if people are 'planning' something when they think you can't understand them."
[Cypher] "Right... I guess I could do something like this ..." He concentrates a few seconds, then says something in sanskrit in a horribly gutteral voice
[Jamie] "How very odd...that'd confuse me."
[Wanda] Wanda laughs, "Well that might confuse your enemies."
[Wanda] "I wish my powers were so predictable, I never know what's goign to happen when I use them."
[Cypher] "You really don't know?"
[Jamie] "At least you don't have to deal with possibly psychotic clones of yourself Wanda"
[Wanda] Wanda shrugged, "Nope, if anything happens at all it's something improbable."
[Mr.Wagner] ((Hey guys - I'm like falling asleep here. You can keep going though
[Cypher] (( we can probably end it if you guys want, that way it gets transcribed and everything ))
[Wanda] ((Up to Doug's player...))
[Wanda] ((whatever))
[Cypher] He looks between the two of them again and sighs. "I really do have to study though... I'll see you guys around." He heads back inside, thinking how nice it was to feel included, if only for a little while.
[Wanda] "Bye Doug." Wanda says as he leaves.
[Wanda] She collects her books again and looks at Jamie. "I'm starving." She said.
[Wanda] "Want to go get something to eat?"
[Jamie] "Seeya Doug, so Wanda should I be afraid of what you'll do with those tickets?" Jamie asked
[Cypher] (( thanks guys! I may have to schedule an instance every week until I can get Sundays off, or at least play in one. ))
[Jamie] "Sure I guess grabbing a bit to eat would be fine."
[Wanda] "Oh yes, Jamie. Be afraid, very afraid." Wanda gave Jamie a look and then walked towards the patio doors.
[Mr.Wagner] ((Good idea Idsunki. At least that will keep Doug in the game.))
[Wanda]
[ANNOUNCE] And let's call that a wrap!
[Wanda] ((That was fun - nice that Doug's in the game))
[Cypher] (( yeah... and the guy getting fired isn't going to be helping my schedule any. I just hope the next person we get can work sundays ))
[Jamie] ((this is my last bit))
[Jamie] Jamie defenitly had a bad feeling about this, he sighed as he followed Wanda towards the door.
Cypher exits from this room
Wanda exits from this room
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Because I owe Emily an internet hug -

...and did anyone else notice that everyone in the chat is involved with someone else except Doug? He certainly did!
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Actually Raven isn't yet "involved" with anyone yet.

I'm keeping her uncommitted as to create a dramatic triangle of tension between her, Sid, and Cypher. Woo! Yay for dramatic tension.

-e
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Sid, obviously, is not involved, either. But he does sport a crazy crush on Raven.

(And they've seen each other nekkid)
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

Looks like Doug's gonna have to do some serious catch-up work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's never even seen her blue before, right?

I can see it now - a nice evening chat between Raven and Doug, talking about the other students... him letting slip a comment that the obvious mutants (like TJ) still make him a bit uncomfortable....

Yeah, this'll be interesting.
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

And it'll give you more time to show of your ULTIMATE LINGUISTIC POWER, Doug...I'm a bit late but I enjoyed this interaction.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Hasn't everyone seen Sid and Raven nekkid, since they never wear clothes anyway?

A Sid/Raven/Doug triangle will be fun to read, looking forward to that :D

All that talk about Doug's powers not being much use in a fight reminded me of this cartoon that I'm sure everyone's seen, but I'll link to it anyway.

I'm sure just the panels are out there somewhere - but I'll just be lazy and link the first thing I found. The Cypher part is halfway down the page.

[Edited on 20/4/06 by chicory]
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

I do remember that, but I have plans that will make Doug sort of useful in a fight if it ever comes up. Not terribly useful, mind you, but sort of.
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

I know how to make Doug useful in fights...give him a gun :P
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

X-men don't use guns - that's for baseline humans - mutants are superior to that :P

I can't imagine what Cypher could do in a fight - unless it involves Ultimate Insults - in multiple languages. :monkey

Maybe he could do something with computers? Since they are somehow related to his powers :?
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

I guess you'll just have to wait and find out. Also, I am going to stress once again - it will make him sort of useful in a fight. No kicking Wolverine's ass first time around. Hell, probably not even beating up any of the student body first time around.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Just remember that we're not a team...and maybe never will be. Obviously, this isn't ever going to devolve into a Fight Game.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by idsunki »

Yeah - so what? Wanna fight about it?