2/13 Instance: Smells Like Team Spirit

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

2/13 Instance: Smells Like Team Spirit

Post by Slarti »

Timelined before the bug invasion

<Warren> Warren sat across from the TV, drink in hand popcorn bowl in his lap. The finals for the Stanley Cup were on and his team had made it. There wasn't a force in the world that would keep him from watching.

<Warren> A siren sounded and Warren jumped up, flinging the popcorn everywhere. "HELL YEAH!!! GOOOOOAL"

<Shinobi> After wandering the halls of Xavier's for a while, Obi heard a familiar sound coming from the school's recreation room and decided to investigate. He blinked at the flying popcorn and sudden yell, leaning against the doorway and surveying the screen and the mutant with a smirk.

<Shinobi> "That good, huh?" He crossed his arms, impressed by the enormous white wings the boy was sporting.

<Warren> "Very. Game one of the finals and Wings got the first score. In my opinion that's great." He grinned from ear to ear. "Sports fan?"

<Shinobi> He laughed, looking between the screen and the student to see who Detroit was playing. "My girlfriend tells me I'm a Penguins fan," he said with a smirk.

<Warren> "Well we'll have to change that... 'cause the Pens suck." He screwed up his face and started to pick up the popcorn that hadn't hit the floor. "We'll make a real hockey fan outa you."

<Shinobi> "Ohhhh. Don't let her hear you say that." He could just imagine the reaction. Pushing off the wall, he wandered into the room and picked up a magazine from the coffee table, using it to scoot popcorn into a pile. "I think she's really just a Crosby fan."

<Warren> "Eww... the cry baby? Why? There're so many better players - Dylan Larkin, Pavel Datsyuk. Even on that same team there's Evgani Malkin, Kris Letang."

<Shinobi> "Oh, she likes Malkin, too." Job complete, he brushed off his hands on his trousers and offered one to the student. "Michael Shaw, by the way. You must be a student here."

<Warren> "I am. Newbie on campus. The big shiny girl kidnapped me from vacation in Australia and made me come to enemy territory." He shook his hand with a firm grip. "Warren Worthington the third." Warren paused for a minute. "Wait,Shaw?"

<Shinobi> Obi's eyebrow rose, wondering what wonderful response he was going to get to that name this time. "Yes. Shaw."

<Warren> Warren's eyes went wide for a second. "Related to Sebastian?"

<Shinobi> "Yes," he said cautiously. "He is my father." Sort of.

<Warren> Warren just blinked at him. "Well.... shit. Wait tell me he's not a Penguins fan too."

<Shinobi> That made him laugh. "Well, he is from Pittsburgh..."

<Warren> "Well damn. Guess I'll need a new idol. Wonder who Mark Cuban likes?" He laughed a little too.

<Shinobi> Idol? That was a touch nauseating. Obi smirked to himself and took a seat, making himself at home. "So... you are one of his students?"

<Warren> "I will be next semester. Figured I'd just sleep through class 'til I heard he was my teacher. Your dad's pretty much a badass in the business world."

<Shinobi> His lips twitched. "Of course he is," Obi managed, with a completely straight face.

<Warren> "Don't like him?" Warren got comfortable again and checked the score of the game. "Sweet, still in the lead."

<Shinobi> That was something he had to think about, in truth. "Well, we've had a... complex relationship."

<Warren> "Well I'd say you should join the Red Wing bandwagon just to aggravate him. But, that might piss your girl off, too." Warren eyed the popcorn and decided he'd just make more at the next intermission.

<Shinobi> Obi chuckled. "Oh, that would most definitely piss her off. I try to avoid that as much as possible." Sliding down into the chair, he glanced at the screen and caught the score. "So are you from Detroit then?”

<Warren> "Yeah, well, I guess technically no. We live outside the city a little ways. But I grew up playing hockey 'til these bad boys showed up. Wouldn't let me play anymore, said my abilities were an unfair advantage. Maybe I can start up a mutant league when I have more money."

<Shinobi> "Interesting." He allowed himself to openly look at the wings. "So, when did your physical mutation manifest, if you don't mind my asking?"

<Warren> "Well I didn't notice when most of it started to show up. Mostly I just got stronger, faster and felt like the Energizer bunny. Then the wings showed up sophomore year I think? That's when people threw up a fuss about me playing sports. Then here recently I've learned some new fun stuff." He made a finger gun and shot a small bolt of energy from it.

<Shinobi> Obi sat up. "Interesting. You seem to have developed several unrelated mutations..."

<Warren> "I think it's the whole angelic thing. Beams of light, nice fluffy white wings, I can see people's... I don't know... auras, I guess you'd say." He shrugged. "I have another form I can change to but I don't quite like to."

<Shinobi> "...angelic thing?" To say he was skeptical of this would be the understatement of the millennium. Once again, his gaze was drawn to the wings. How did he fit through doors?

<Warren> Warren just laughed. "Yeah you should see the religious nut jobs when I walk past a church. Sometimes if I focus really hard I can make things with light. Last time I tried, though, it blew up a toaster. So what can you do?"

<Shinobi> "I can hardly imagine..." He laughed. "Actually, the current Shaw family home is in an old church and we've often joked it might go up in flames at any moment."

<Shinobi> "My power is density manipulation... so far nothing else." Other than that curious healing ability he'd... acquired.

<Warren> "Sounds like we need to do some church pranking here in the near future!" He laughed a little.

<Shinobi> "I can indeed walk on water, so, I'm sure I can make it happen for you as well." He grinned wickedly.

<Warren> "Oh this is great we are so going to troll Westboro." Warren laughed hard.

<Shinobi> "Yes!" His eyes alighted before he could think better of it. "They picketed a mutant funeral in Omaha once! I wished I'd had powers then to show them what fools they were." After a moment, he blinked at that memory, obviously false.

<Warren> "Yeah they're just plain douche bags. But here's the plan I'll descend from the sky carrying you, make myself all bright and shiny and you'll walk on water. Hundred bucks say at least one of them shits themselves.”

<Shinobi> He laughed and spread his arms. "Bonus points for Japanese Jesus."

<Warren> "Okay I'm ordering us some robes! This is gonna be great. Though lets not tell Heather. She might beat my ass and call me an idiot."

<Shinobi> Obi searched his memory for a Heather, but came up blank. "If that's what you want, then absolutely."

<Warren> "We might go to hell for this though, you cool with that?" He gave Michael the straightest face he could.

<Shinobi> "I'm already going to hell," he said, deadpan. It was rather likely, after all.

<Warren> "Good deal so short bus on the fast lane to the highway to hell." Warren gave him a thumbs up and went back to the game.

<Shinobi> After a moment, he laughed, then turned his attention to the screen as well. It was rare for him to find such enjoyment with others. He'd thought Hope was an anomaly.

<Warren> "Well wings win but that's not surprising." He grinned from ear to ear. "So what're you studying?"

<Shinobi> "Well... that is the question. Right now I'm just auditing a few business courses, but I will start in earnest this fall." He smirked, studying the blonde. "As you can imagine, there is some pressure to go into the family profession."

<Christopher> "I know that pressure quite well. I get it from both sides. Helps to get away from it all. Australia is a nice place to do that." He laughed a little. "That and there's lots of hot girls. But hey it's not all bad to follow in the family footsteps right?"

<Shinobi> Obi laughed. "I've never been there, but it sounds tempting." Sliding down into the seat, he picked a bit at the upholstery. "Perhaps. I don't know what I want to do yet. I suppose I should get on that, considering."

<Warren> "Hot girls scantily clad playing beach volleyball. I should hope so." Warren got lost in the game for a moment as the Redwings went on the penalty kill.

<Shinobi> "Mmm... yeah." Obi was more lost in the image of said girls in their bikinis on a hot beach. Hadn't there been talk of visiting the Stark house in Malibu this summer?

<Warren> "Careful now. That girlfriend of yours might get jealous. I'm happily single. Only got the kinda sister to worry about yelling at me." He grinned.

<Shinobi> "Kinda sister?" He ignored the other comment, on the grounds that it was entirely true. But then... Hope in that strappy black swimsuit playing volleyball...

<Warren> "We've been friends for a while. When I go to Australia I usually stay with her family. So they've kinda become my family."

<Shinobi> "Adopted family," he said, nodding in understanding. "That seems to be a popular theme." It was still odd to hear Hope calling Sebastian dad. "So, have you decided on your field of study? Or are you here to join the X-Men?"

<Warren> "Actually I was dragged here by a shiny woman. But I had been set on a business degree at first and then possibly going for law."

<Shinobi> "A shiny woman?" Law. That piqued his interest. "I considered law myself, though until recently it seemed a bit out of reach."

<Warren> "Heather Cameron. I think she has some kind of codename or something but I'm not a hundred percent what it is. I usually tease her about her shinyness but she'll probably whoop your ass if you do that."

<Shinobi> "Duly noted," he said with a smirk. "What area of law holds your interest?"

<Warren> "No clue. Thought it would be a fun challenge." Warren smiled. "Maybe a lawyer I do like to argue."

<Shinobi> He considered that. "So do I... sounds like a fun way to make a living, yeah?"

<Warren> "I maybe. Or I could just use it to keep myself from going to jail after some stupid shenanigan?" Warren shrugged. "I like the idea of not having to really do anything to make money though."

<Shinobi> "I'm not so fond of that, as it turns out..." The hand-outs from Sebastian were grating on him more and more of late.

<Warren> "Oh? Well I guess stocks aren't your cup of tea then?"

<Shinobi> "Well, if I had money of my own to invest that would be a different story." He reached for his phone.

<Warren> "Start from the bottom?" He shrugged. "I'm not opposed to using whatever resources but I do understand that some people prefer to make it on their own."

<Shinobi> "There was a time when all I wanted was for my fair share of the Shaw fortune, but... yeah, I guess I do want to make it on my own now." He sighed, rubbing his free hand over his lips and thinking about that.

<Warren> "Then you should probably get a job huh? Or bet on the right team. Like the Redwings." He laughed a little, "though unless you like having your legs broken you have to have money to bet first."

<Shinobi> "A job..." He rolled that idea around for a moment. His last job hadn't gone so well, considering. Obi looked over at Warren. "Don't watch the news much, do you?"

<Warren> "Not unless it's stocks. What'd you try to kill the president or something?"

<Shinobi> The restless motion of his hand across his mouth halted. "I was pardoned for that, actually."

<Warren> "Wait what?" Warren just stared at him. "You pullin my leg right?"

<Shinobi> His hand dropped and he smirked. "No, actually, I'm not..."

<Warren> "Holy shit and here I thought I lived and interesting life. This place really is a madhouse. No offense." He was still staring at Shinobi. "Okay I've gotta ask do you have like badass ninja skills or something? Cuz if you do you so gotta train me."

<Shinobi> "Heh. No, I actually... missed the target." He winced slightly. "I was, ah... under mind control."

<Warren> "Ahh hence the pardon hmm? Well damn and here I thought this could be a very useful partnership." He shot Michael an amused smirk.

<Shinobi> The easy acceptance was a surprise, but he covered it with a lazy smile. "Well, I wouldn't say I am entirely without my own skills." Obi phased his hand and passed it through the arm of the chair.

<Warren> "Yeah... but I don't think you can teach me that. Though I've got some pretty neat skills too." He stood up and shifted into his other form. His skin turning dark blue, eyes changing from blue to red and his feathered wings changed to metallic ones.

<Shinobi> Obi's eyebrow arched. "Well, that's impressive. You're hard to miss."

<Warren> "I wasn't before?" Warren's smile shifted to a dumbfounded look. "I mean just hide my skin and I can pass for human in this." He drew his wings back into his back so they disappeared.

<Shinobi> He leaned in the seat to watch that feat, blinking. That was a new one on him.

<Warren> "I'm just full of all sorts of surprises." He laughed a little.

<Shinobi> "Obviously so," he laughed, leaning to get a look at the guy's back. "Is that metal?"

<Warren> "Short answer, as far as I can tell." He spread one wing out. "Nice and sharp and you really don't want to get cut by one."

<Shinobi> Obi stood and inspected the wing. He extended a hand, not quite close enough to touch. "I can imagine..." At the back of his mind, Obi couldn't help but think what En Sabah Nur would have done with a mutant such as this.

<Warren> "They release some kind of paralytic... you really don't want to know how I found that out. Well you might, but I ain't gonna tell you." He laughed.

<Shinobi> "You paralyzed yourself, huh?" He cast him a smirk and took a step back.

<Warren> "I plead the fifth." Warren shifted back into his usual form. It made him a little lightheaded for a moment but it passed quickly. "I've done plenty of stupid shit trying to figure out these powers."

<Shinobi> "Haven't we all," he said with a chuckle.

<Warren> "Heh, try waking up to a completely shredded bed and looking like a smurf." He laughed. "It could definitely be worse though so I guess I can't complain."

<Shinobi> "Falling through the bed is interesting." Obi smirked and looked up to his face.

<Warren> "Ever blown up a wallaby? That was an interesting day." He made his hand glow.

<Shinobi> "...no." A memory flashed and he winced.

<Warren> Warren winced too. "It was messy... I try not to fool around with my more dangerous powers now."

<Shinobi> Obi repeated himself. "I can imagine..." Clearing his throat, he felt a vibration from his phone and looked at it. Hope. "It's been a pleasure to meet you, but duty calls." He shook the phone.

<Warren> Warren made the sound of a whip crack. "Enjoy buddy."

<Shinobi> He laughed. "Oh, I do." Saluting with the phone, he turned for the door.