1/2 Instance: For the Cause

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

1/2 Instance: For the Cause

Post by Slarti »

Timelined after Survival at All Costs

<Kat> Kat was sitting at her desk, humming to the tunes feeding through her headphones. She was working intensely on soldering the motherboard into its casing.

<Shaw> Normally, such intrusions into home territory would be out of the bounds of Sebastian and Tony's friendship, but invasions called for drastic measures. So, Sebastian Shaw found himself lending a hand at Stark Industries today. He knew one of his students was here, and it didn't take long to find her.

<Kat> Kat bit her lip as she finished placing the motherboard. She put down her tools, popped out her ears buds, and stood up for a stretch. She turned around, deciding to that she had earned herself a cup of coffee. She spotted Professor Shaw in the workroom. She greeted him with a wave.

<Shaw> He inclined his head at her and picked his way through the room to meet her halfway. "Hello, Miss Pryde. Hard at work?"

<Kat> "Just doing some tinkering. Working through some ideas I had. I reached a stopping point and was about to grab some coffee and a snack. Would you like to join me or do you have work to do?"

<Shaw> "I never say no to coffee." He gave her a crooked smile. "Especially with such lovely company." Nodding for her to proceed him, he took a quick glance at her work station, curious.

<Kat> Kat noticed as Shaw glanced at her work, but she didn't say anything about it. If he wanted to know, he could ask. "This way." She led him out of the workroom towards the overly stocked break room. There were perks of working for a Stark.

<Shaw> Sebastian followed and purred in satisfaction at the break room, and its impressive coffee machine. "I suppose I should be taking notes on how best to keep your employees happy, yes?"

<Kat> Kat rolled her eyes. "They are exceptionally attentive to their employees needs, so much in fact we never leave." She grabbed herself a sandwich and started some coffee. "What brought you to Stark Industries. Aren't you supposed to be terrorizing students or something?"

<Shaw> "There should be a liquor cabinet then..." Sebastian started looking for one in earnest. "Well, Miss Pryde, I do, point of fact, have a business of my own." He flashed her a smirk. "However, I'm told that as in the Great War, that the spirit of collaboration will overcome the Brood menace."

<Kat> "There's no liquor cabinet for those of us stuck in the basement and you are a tad too late for the nightly happy hour. If you feel the need, I can slide through a few walls and grab some from upstairs." She chewed her sandwich for a bit. "Is the Brood business as bad as it looks on tv... or is it worse? I'm afraid I had to escape from that among other things. I'm not a fan of blood, alien or human."

<Shaw> Sebastian looked horrified. "Well. We need to rectify that." He waved away her offer with a smile, however. "Thank you, no. It's fine." He poured a cup of coffee and joined her. "It... may well be worse..."

<Kat> Kat grimaced. "Is there anything I, uh, can do? You know... from a distance?"

<Shaw> "I'm uncertain," he admitted with a sigh, staring into his cup. "I am truly here to help work on a few experimental weapons systems." Looking up, he gave her an assessing once-over. "Perhaps you can assist me. You've always shown promise in your course work."

<Kat> Kat choked on the bit of sandwich she had chosen to swallow at that moment. "Sure." She stammered her words. "I'd be honored to work with you. Although, I've never worked on weaponry. I've concentrated on robotics instead."

<Shaw> "Well, weaponry involves rather less finesse, as you can imagine." He gave her a grin over the top of the mug, taking a sip.

<Kat> Kat snorted over her cup of coffee. "I guess that is one way to put it. I'll help. I happen to excel at soldering things together. I've had a good teacher." She grinned at her professor.

<Shaw> "Yes, an excellent one if I correctly recall." Sebastian put his mug down and smirked.

<Kat> Kat rolled her eyes. "Excellent if not a tad bit narcissistic." She mumbled.

<Shaw> "Guilty as charged." He grabbed the mug to raise a toast.

<Kat> Kat raised her glass to meet his and giggled. At least he owns it. She thought.

<Shaw> Sebastian's eyebrow arched as he picked up the thought. "Of course I own it," he said, taking a sip. "I find enjoyment in my proprietorship.

<Kat> Kat choked on her coffee, spewing some across the table. She had forgotten he was a telepath. Of course he was reading her mind. She found he couldn't focus on that. Instead, she had to focus on the coughing spell that ensued.

<Shaw> Smirking, Sebastian leaned to pat her back. I can help you with your mental shielding, if you would like.

<Kat> Startled from hearing Shaw's voice in her head, she fell off the chair. She hit the floor and the coughing finally stopped. She had been around all sorts of people with all sorts of abilities, but she still hadn't gotten used to it. "Uh. That'd be great." She situated herself back in her chair.

<Shaw> "Are you quite all right, love?" He gave her a mild blink and offered her his hand to get up.

<Kat> "I'm fine. Obviously, I need to refill my medicine that Dr. Guthrie gave me. But I'll be fine." She regained her composure and changed the subject to steer away from her mental problems. "So...weaponry. Guns? Lasers? Bombs? All of the above?"

<Shaw> "A bit of all of the above, yes," he laughed, watching her. My, she was a skittish one. He could imagine Paige's reaction.

<Kat> Kat stood up to get a bottle of water to replace the coffee with. Maybe she shouldn't drink so much caffeine. "Sounds great. I'm afraid I'm not real in the know with weapons, but I'm pretty solid with following plans. And I am glad I might be useful and staying away from the gore." She sipped her water and smiled. That was better.

<Shaw> He sipped his own coffee, wishing there were scotch for it in this low-level break room. "I'm certain your ability to follow directions and read schematics will be quite enough." Sebastian nodded, humming in thought. "I suggested to Jessica that it might be time for an extended vacation in Europe, but she did not agree."

<Kat> "She is obviously a fight girl. Me, I'm more flight as you've noticed. Fleeing is my style. Thankfully, my former roommate was able to help get me a corner here."

<Shaw> "I suspected Hope had a hand in this." He smirked, looking up at the Stark logo on the wall.

<Kat> "I can't imagine what would have ever given you that idea." She giggled a little. "Thankfully, she was able to let my pettiness go and help a girl out." Kat got up and cleaned up the trash from her break. "Shall we get started on the tech builds? I supposed the brood doesn't call a timeout to sleep."

<Shaw> "Ah, yes, I recall hearing a bit about your relationship with Mr. Nord." He watched her bustle about, still sipping his coffee.

<Kat> Kat just smiled a gritted teeth smile. Chris was still a sore spot, even if she was the one to officially break it off. "Well, I've always found that failed relationships, being cut off from ones family, and intense stress inspire me to do better work."

<Shaw> "You are truly engineer material, then," he said with an approving nod and raised his cup in salute.