3/5 Instance: Boozy Secrets

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

3/5 Instance: Boozy Secrets

Post by Slarti »

After [Instance]#Cooking is Evil.

<Carol> It was something of a miracle that Carol had made it into Boston in one piece, never mind navigated the narrow streets to her destination. She did, however, mount the curb when pulling up outside and stopped just short of demolishing a lamp post. She opened the car door and inhaled sharply at the shock of the cold air. Brr. She had another swig of scotch before grabbing a file from her back seat and climbing out.

<Carol> She left the door open, already forgetting about it as she crossed the sidewalk to the door of the house she'd pulled up outside and then she attempted to press the doorbell. Missing a few times, she gave up and started banging on the door.

<Shaw> Sebastian's phone buzzed at about the same time as the banging began. Startled, he sat up and reached for his phone, looking over at Jess while he thumbed on the security camera feed. He saw a mess of blonde hair attached to what looked like a mess of a SHIELD agent. "What in hell..."

<Carol> While upstairs Sebastian's wife grumbled and rolled over, Carol turned and put her back to the door then slid down it to sit on the steps and wait, using the back of her head to continue the knocking, though at a somewhat quieter volume than had been achieved by her fist.

<Shaw> Sebastian took another look at his wife and rolled out of bed, leaning into the nursery door to listen to Miriam's soft breathing before he started down the stairs. Widget did seem improved, since the robot was waiting for him in the foyer and opened the door.

<Carol> Having been leaned against the door, Carol fell backwards and sprawled across the steps and the entrance hallway. She blinked at the ceiling, a little confused at what had just happened before her eyes saw a shape in her peripheral vision. She twisted a little and found herself looking up at a Shaw. "... Hi."

<Shaw> "Colonel Danvers..." Sebastian strolled a little closer and tilted his head to look down at her. "Is there something I can do for you?" He heard a little movement downstairs and smirked to himself.

<Carol> She stared at him for a long moment before she remembered why she was there. "Yes." She rolled onto her side then pulled herself up into a sitting position, gathering the slightly messy pages back together, not that it mattered - they all looked mostly the same.

<Shaw> "And it couldn't have waited until the morning?" Sebastian nudged her leg away from the door and closed it, then crouched beside her to help her sort the papers, giving one a glance. He knew government documents when he saw them.

<Carol> "It is morning," Carol pointed out unhelpfully, "And this is bullshit." She shoved the file at him.

<Shaw> Half the pages were upside down and he was certainly not going to read them here. And what was that noise? Sebastian listened for a moment, then looked at Carol. "I do hope someone drove you..."

<Carol> Carol shook her head, "At this time in the morning? You've gotta be kidding..."

<Shaw> He stared at her a moment, then opened the front door. "Christ." Shoes be damned, Sebastian went out to take care of the car running on the curb.

<Carol> Carol followed him with her eyes then saw the problem, "Oh... I left it on..."

<Shaw> Once in the driver's seat, he backed the car off the curb, muttering under his breath. A drunk SHIELD agent with an official military investigation report on his front steps at three in the morning never bode well. Once the car was properly parked and with the keys in hand, he stared up at the clocktower and took a deep breath.

<Carol> While Sebastian was parking the car, Carol had managed to haul herself to her feet with the help of a protesting Widget. She was now propped up against the wall with her hands covering her face.

<Shaw> Back inside, he turned his attention to Carol. "Now, why don't we go upstairs, and I'll get you some coffee. But please be quiet, everyone is asleep."

<Carol> Carol nodded, "Sure..." she headed for the stairs, one hand on the wall to steady herself. She stumbled a few times on the way up but eventually made it to the level with the kitchen. "There are too many stairs in this house..."

<Shaw> "Well, there is an elevator." He had considered offering it, but Danvers was hellbent for the stairs, so he followed, wary in case she started to topple over backwards.

<Shaw> "Come," he said, taking her elbow to lead her to the bench in the kitchen. "Sit, and I'll start the coffee."

<Carol> She followed the instruction, holding onto the seat of the bench and fixing her gaze on the floor, "You trying to sober me up?"

<Shaw> "Yes, as a matter of fact. What exactly was I looking at?" He gestured to the stack of papers on the bench beside her and filled the coffee maker.

<Carol> "It's supposed to be a report." She bowed her head, "It's taken me months to get them to send me that... and it's completely useless."

<Shaw> "A report about what, precisely?" He located two mugs, pausing to listen again to make sure Miriam was still asleep. Jessica, he felt, was half awake, so he sent her his reassurance that everything was fine and she could relax.

<Carol> "What happened to Steven...." She pushed a hand through her hair and straightened up again. "I wanted to know exactly what happened."

<Shaw> "What happened," he echoed, then frowned. Steven... oh. "Your brother... wasn't it an accident? In the line of duty?" Sebastian turned to look at her.

<Carol> "That's what they said... but I never believed that. The timing was all suspicious and now that," she gestured at the file, "The only thing useful it's done is confirm my suspicions."

<Shaw> Sebastian wandered over and picked up the file, sorting out papers and righting them and placing them in order. What he could see was that they were heavily redacted. "What was particularly suspicious about the timing?"

<Carol> "He was looking into OsCorp and their involvement in what happened after Hydra attacked the old school. He was onto something... and he knew he was in trouble because he mailed what he found to me rather than arranging to see me... I got it after he died." She didn't want coffee. She wanted more scotch.

<Shaw> That made him look at her, sitting down beside her. "And what was in that report?"

<Carol> "Her exact location - it's how we got her back. He had everything about the place, schematics, schedules, security... We couldn't have done that without him...." She turned her head to look at him, "I still have it... there's more stuff in there but I haven't been able to bring myself to look again."

<Shaw> "Her..." Oh, of course. "Danger." And there was more to the man's final report. "Perhaps we should review it... what if it contains vital information on the sentinels? Or something he took from the ruins that we don't even yet know about?"

<Carol> "You're welcome to look... at least that's not full of useless black lines." She bowed her face into her hands, resting her elbows on her knees. "I just want to know what happened to him..."

<Shaw> "Yes, that you may never know..." He put the papers down and got up to pour their coffee.

<Carol> "I have a right to know... My clearance level is high... I shouldn't have trouble like this unless there's something suspicious going on..."

<Shaw> "There's always a higher clearance level. You know that, my dear." Sebastian returned with two mugs and held one out in offer.

<Carol> Carol lifted her head and stared at the mug for a long moment before returning to her original position, "I don't want to be sober."

<Shaw> "No, I would imagine not, but you need to be sober." He put the mug on the bench beside her and sat down.

<Carol> "Why?" She pushed her fingers through her hair and sat up again, "Being sober is not good."

<Shaw> "Bad decisions are made when you can't think with clarity, or at least, more clarity than you have right now." He shrugged, blowing on his own cup and picking up the papers to read through the first page again.

<Carol> "Well that's fine, I'm not making any decisions... except whether or not I want to be sober. I can sober up fast if I really need to...." She lifted her head and pulled her sleeve down revealing that she was wearing an inhibitor cuff. "I'm alcohol resistent... well all toxins."

<Shaw> Sebastian sighed. "Fine. You clearly made a poor decision to drive over here drunk and run over my curb, however."

<Carol> "Well I need your help and I don't have time to make this trip during the day... and I busted my cellphone again." She wrinkled her nose, "Stupid powers."

<Shaw> "My help?" He lowered the papers to give her a stare.

<Carol> "Well I don't know anyone else that's friends with the President..." She blinked at him, deciding she'd have that coffee now.

<Shaw> "That rarely means he does what I ask," he pointed out, although it was only partially true. Relenting, he took a long sip of the coffee. "Of course, I'll see what I can do. However, we should take a look at the remainder of your brother's final report."

<Carol> "I'll go get it... it's in my car." She put her coffee down and got to her feet. "I couldn't leave it in my office and risk someone finding it... considering my office is now a crater, I think that was a good call."

<Shaw> "I'll accompany you." Sebastian was taking his coffee with him, however, and he headed directly for the elevator.

<Carol> She offered him a small smile at the choice of method to reach the ground floor, "I'm gonna need my keys."

<Shaw> Sebastian handed them over, wishing the elevator wasn't quite so loud when it dinged at the foyer.

<Carol> Carol led the way to the front door and the promised treasure, ignoring the biting wind when she opened the front door and heading straight for the trunk of her car.

<Shaw> He wished he'd located a robe, or a coat, and considered for a moment grabbing Shinobi's from the coat rack, but surely she'd find the documents quickly.

<Carol> She lifted the mat and pulled a few other bits around until she found the papers she was looking for then shoved everything back in an approximation of where she'd found it and locked the car up again before she returned to Sebastian and handed the file over.

<Shaw> "Let's get back inside, shall we?" Before he froze, and before the crack of dawn. He took Carol's elbow to hurry her along.

<Carol> Carol waved him away, she could hurry under her own steam. She brushed her hair out of her face when they got back inside and rubbed the tops of her arms. The worst part about not having her powers active was that it was winter.

<Shaw> "So, do you want to review this now?" He gestured with the folder, closing the door and resetting the alarm. Again. "I can work on locating an unedited report for you, but not until morning."

<Carol> She gave a shrug, "I guess we could... unless you'd rather go back to bed."

<Shaw> "Yes, I would, but you're not driving home in your present state." He glanced at her wrist, then studied her face. "So, you may stay here, on the sofa, I'm afraid, since we're out of guest rooms at the moment, or I could call Miss Kincaid."

<Carol> Carol shook her head, "Don't wake her up... I can fix this... or sleep in my car." She'd done that before.

<Shaw> "You're not sleeping in your car." He pointed the file toward the elevator.

<Carol> "It's really not that bad..." She went to the elevator ahead of him, "I can sleep pretty much anywhere."

<Shaw> "Yes, well, you're not sleeping in your car here," he said, getting on the elevator after her. "My wife would throttle me," he added with a smirk.

<Carol> She laughed, "Well, in that case, I guess I can sleep on the sofa if I have to stay here."

<Shaw> "It's quite an excellent sofa. I can personally attest to this from the times I've been forced to sleep on it." The elevator dinged again at the living room level and he showed her to the sofa. "There is a bathroom there," he pointed, and I'll get you a blanket. "In the morning, we'll see what we can do."

<Carol> She flopped down onto the sofa, taking off the inhibitor cuff and tossing it onto the coffee table, "I don't need a blanket..."

<Shaw> He paused, then smirked, giving her a slight salute with the file. "Well then, good night, Colonel Danvers."

<Carol> "Goodnight... and thanks... also sorry for waking you up...." She kicked off her boots and lay down.

<Shaw> Sebastian nodded in acknowledgment, giving her a thoughtful look, then turned to go back to bed. Miriam would be awake shortly, he was sure, and he had several things to ponder. And a file to read, apparently.