2/25 Instance: Pardon me?

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

2/25 Instance: Pardon me?

Post by Slarti »

Timelined immediately after My Two Dads

<Jessica> Jess shifted in her seat, "They're coming back down again." She reached for the tray to put the empty and half empty cups on it. "Do you two want more coffee?"

<Hope> "I might want more scotch," Hope muttered, sitting up a bit straighter.

<Shinobi> "Yeah, thanks," he told Jess, then wrinkled his nose at Hope.

<Jessica> Jess gave them both a small smile and headed back to the kitchen with the tray.

<Shaw> "To reiterate," he said quietly to Tony as the came down the stairs. "I'll not have you threaten the boy for no reason. This is my house, and he's my son." He gave him a significant look on that last point.

<Tony> Tony wrinkled his nose. Laboratory test tube was now a son?

<Shaw> Sebastian returned the gesture and continued down the stairs. This was a terrible idea.

<Shinobi> Knowing this was very possibly his last chance, Shinobi squeezed her hand and turned to whisper in her ear. "I love you."

<Hope> Hope swallowed hard and squeezed his hand tightly as she searched his face. "I love you too," she whispered back.

<Jessica> Jess bit her lip, picking that up even from the kitchen. She hurried her way through making coffee for them all and tea for herself, plating up some safe cupcakes and taking some brownie batter out of the fridge because everyone needed a sugar hit and a chill out. She also sent a text to Bobby, wherever he was hiding, that he could help himself.

<Shaw> Sebastian heard them as well, sighing to himself and slowing a bit. "It might behoove you to just observe them together, without trying to intimidate him and antagonize her."

<Tony> "I've seen people dating, Sebastian," Tony pointed out.

<Shinobi> He gave her a quick kiss and rested his forehead against hers, working on keeping his emotions under control.

<Shaw> "That's not what I mean." Koibito, you heard everything. We're going to have to make sure this doesn't get out of hand...

<Hope> That filtered over anyway, mixed with her own emotions. She swallowed hard, pulling him closer. I love you. I am not accepting anything without a fight. I will do whatever it takes.

<Jessica> I'll do what I can to keep everyone even tempered... She carried the tray back into the living room carefully.

<Shaw> Thank you, love. He's feeling entirely too... Stark today. Sebastian continued down the stairs, and instead of clearing his throat to announce their presence, decided to see what they were up to himself.

<Shinobi> Lips pressed together, he nodded and held her, one hand in her hair and stroking her cheek. Jess' presence didn't even register.

<Jessica> Setting the tray down on the table, Jess sat back down on the sofa and picked up her fresh cup of tea.

<Hope> Hope didn't notice Jess enter the room either, too focused on not crying and not letting him cry either. Tony could smell fear.

<Tony> Tony followed Sebastian, hoping the boy had enough sense to keep his hands off his kid while he was there.

<Shaw> Sebastian had gotten rather used to seeing them like this, although there was a definite air of melancholy around them at the moment. Shocking. He shot Tony a glance.

<Tony> Tony looked to Sebastian, then looked over at the two on the couch when he was properly in the room. He made a face and cleared his throat.

<Shinobi> He pulled away from Hope just a little, looking up at first his father and then the president who he'd once tried to assassinate.

<Jessica> Jess gave Sebastian a smile, "There's coffee if you want it."

<Tony> "Can we keep the hands were I can see them?" Tony asked, making a face as he sat down.

<Hope> Hope glared Tony down as she moved her hands out from under the blanket.

<Shaw> "Thank you, love." He circled behind the sofa and squeezed Shinobi's shoulder again as he passed by. The boy looked as if he might wet himself, and he hoped it wasn't as obvious to Tony. Sebastian gave Jess another greeting kiss and took a mug of coffee before he settled down beside her.

<Jessica> Jess leaned against him and closed her eyes in an attempt to lower her blood pressure. Calm.

<Shinobi> Although the hand in his lap was already uncovered, his other hand was still in Hope's hair. He untangled it as quickly and carefully as he could.

<Tony> That was better. Tony relaxed. "Now then. What are you planning on studying in college, Shinobi?"

<Shaw> Sebastian easily slid his arm around his wife and kissed the crown of her head. You're fine. We'll all be fine. We just need to be... cautious.

<Shinobi> "I... don't know yet." He blinked, already off-balance, although he suspected that was what Stark intended.

<Jessica> Help me keep hold of my temper then, okay? You know I say things I shouldn't...

<Tony> "So with your ambitionless life, how do you plan on taking cake of my child?"

<Jessica> Jess opened her eyes in narrow slits focused on Tony.

<Shaw> That may need to be a mutual effort... He cleared his throat and raised an eyebrow at his friend.

<Hope> Hope blinked, totally caught off-guard herself. What was happening?! What was he doing? "I didn't know for two years of college. That is so not fair. You can't ask questions like that!"

<Shinobi> "I don't think she needs anyone to do that," he pointed out, already getting a little over fear and straight into anger. Ambitionless?

<Tony> Tony waved his hand. "Do you have plans on moving out of your parents basement?"

<Shinobi> "And straight back into SHIELD detention, right? That's the answer you want out of this."

<Jessica> Jess sat up, turning her full attention and a glare on Tony.

<Tony> "I was aiming at the losers who live in their parents basements and go to comic con every year, but sure, SHIELD works fine. Next question. Do you plan on having children someday?"

<Hope> Hope just stared. He didn't even ask her some of these things. She looked over to Sebastian. What in the hell?

<Shaw> "Tony, really?" This was ridiculous. I warned him not to do this.

<Shinobi> He looked at Sebastian. "No."

<Hope> She shifted to Shinobi quickly. It's a trap. It's a trap! Be careful. I don't know what he's after... but this is so a trap. Oh. I COULD find out what he is after... give me a few.

<Shinobi> Well I know it's a trap, but I don't think there's any real escape...

<Tony> Tony leaned in to get a better look at Shinobi. "What exactly are your intentions with my daughter?"

<Shinobi> "To try to make her happy... to keep her safe." He decided he had nothing to lose by meeting Stark's eyes. It was the truth, after all.

<Hope> Hope just smiled at that and rested her head against Shinobi, until Tony's gaze made her lift it again. He did both of those.

<Tony> Tony eyed the kid. His gaze softened as he leaned back in his chair again. "Do you play any sports?"

<Shinobi> He blinked. "Baseball?"

<Tony> "Good ol' American sport. Hockey is way better. Though Hope has horrible taste in teams."

<Hope> Now she glared. "Hey. You leave my Penguins out of this."

<Shaw> "Don't besmirch my hometown team," Sebastian added, giving Tony a rather more friendly glare.

<Shinobi> "I've watched hockey with Hope," he ventured.

<Tony> "You should be cheering for the Patriots. They are America's team." Tony told Sebastian with a grin. He looked back over at Shinobi. "Not surprising. Has she gone on for hours about Crosby? I should invite him to the next dinner."

<Jessica> Jess wrinkled her nose, not understanding the fascination with the sport... or any sport really. But she was lucky being British and female because no one expected her to like them anyway.

<Shaw> "Steelers," Sebastian corrected, giving Jess a squeeze.

<Shinobi> "She has, yeah." He sensed another Prince Harry situation in this suggestion.

<Hope> As much as she wanted to have dinner with Crosby, she had to resist. "That won't be necessary, but thank you for the offer."

<Tony> Sighing, Tony nodded. "Well. Shinobi. What do you plan on getting Hope for mother's day?"

<Shaw> "Don't you mean what will he get Jessica?" That was a ridiculous and obvious question, and if he only knew the truth as they did, considering their ears.

<Shinobi> "Why would I get Hope... oh. No." He frowned at the president, annoyed he'd almost been caught off-guard again and very nearly rolling his eyes. Clearly, he was not getting anyone pregnant. Not any time soon...

<Tony> "Correct answer." Tony smirked, ignoring Sebastian. He had almost ruined his trap! His carefully laid trap. "And how do you feel being in the public eye? As you've already seen, it's near impossible to be otherwise when dating a Stark."

<Jessica> "Chris seemed to manage just fine." Jess threw in, which was probably for the best considering appearances among other things.

<Tony> "Chris is a moron."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Not going to argue with that."

<Shinobi> "I know if I'm recognized that it's a problem." His eyes slid to his father and back to Stark. "Maybe someday that won't be, but until then, we'll just have to be careful." Clearing his throat, he smirked. "And besides, we all look alike."

<Shaw> "The public has a short memory and a shorter attention span," he pointed out.

<Tony> 2.0 was snarky. Tony didn't like that. He thought for a moment. "They do indeed. They need to be told what to think about."

<Jessica> "It's a shame no one can tell them to mind their own damn business, isn't it?"

<Shaw> "We do have an entire amendment that addresses everyone's inability to mind their own business," he said drily, and sipped his coffee.

<Tony> "The media does indeed have an entire amendment to protect themselves and their privacy invasion."

<Shinobi> Running out of ways to keep himself from fidgeting, he reached over and picked up a coffee mug, handing it to Hope, and got another for himself.

<Jessica> "Maybe we should move to Japan. They have it the other way around."

<Hope> Taking the cup with a smile, Hope thanked Shinobi quietly. "I think we can handle the media. We've done it so far."

<Shaw> "Tempting." Although he would be rather harder to hide from the Oyama clan there.

<Tony> Thinking for a moment, Tony watched the kid. "So tell me, Shinobi, how often do you fantasize about killing my daughter?"

<Jessica> Jess' mug creaked alarmingly and she shot a look at Sebastian.

<Shinobi> He was lucky the coffee wasn't scalding hot anymore, but he still spilled it and choked, coughing wildly.

<Shaw> "Tony! What in the hell?" He put his own mug down and slid to the edge of the seat.

<Hope> "What the hell kind of question is that?!" Hope asked, rubbing Shinobi's back as he coughed.

<Tony> "I had to see what he'd do if provoked." Tony admitted. Clearly the kid just folded into a mess. The women had gotten to him. He couldn't be too much of a threat then. He considered that some more.

<Shinobi> He recovered enough to glare, wiping the back of his hand over his mouth and looking for a napkin. "What the fuck?" Asshole.

<Tony> Or was he not? Tony sat up, suddenly interested again. "Yes... the fuck... how often?"

<Jessica> And there went her mug. "Damn it!" There was tea in her lap now too.

<Hope> Hope placed a hand on Shinobi's shoulder. "I think this interrogation is over." At least without a damn lawyer.

<Shinobi> "You jackass - never!" He leaned across the table and fixed Stark with a stare. "I don't care what you think you know about me, but that's ridiculous, and insulting."

<Shaw> Sebastian was preoccupied helping Jessica with the tea now, but he could hear things escalating. "Tony, leave it."

<Tony> Tony leaned in too, staring back. "I have news for you, Shaw. You can date my kid."

<Jessica> Jess turned her attention from her lap and stared at Tony. Was he serious?

<Shaw> Sebastian turned his own stare back onto his old friend.

<Shinobi> He blinked once, then again. Were his ears going?

<Tony> Tony leaned back in his chair, serious again. "I had to be sure you were stable enough. Something I should have done to that other idiot apparently."

<Hope> Staring her dad down, Hope leaned forward. "Are you serious? Because I might distract your security so Jess can smack you if you aren't."

<Jessica> The tea was soaking into Jess' lap and shirt while she waited for the verdict.

<Shinobi> "That's a weird fucking test..." he slowly sat up, still not sure what was going on.

<Shaw> Sebastian raised an eyebrow, waiting as well and certain he wasn't waiting to distract anyone before he punched his closest friend.

<Tony> Standing up, he held out his hand for her. When she took it and stood, Tony pulled his child into a hug. "I may never be a great dad... but I will always do whatever I can to protect you. I wasn't joking about what I said. While I don't like Shinobi," he looked at him, "I don’t like you," he looked back at her, "but I won't like anyone you date. It's a dad thing."

<Shinobi> Shinobi decided it was best to keep his agreement on the dislike to himself. Asshole.

<Tony> Tony kissed Hope's forehead. "As soon as I can get it arranged, you two are coming to DC. For his pardon. My daughter is not dating a terrorist."

<Jessica> "In future, if you could avoid administering your tests alongside threats of prison that would be fantastic." Jess muttered, getting to her feet to go and get a cloth.

<Shinobi> Pardon? He couldn't be hearing this correctly. Not enough oxygen to the brain during his choking fit, obviously.

<Shaw> "I'm surprised you even remembered we requested his pardon," he snarked, standing up and brushing the stray tea stains from his suit pants.

<Tony> "Of course I remembered. It was the most ridiculous request ever asked of me besides the one to blow up the moon."

<Shaw> His expression turned thoughtful at that idea.

<Hope> Too happy, to really care, Hope kissed Tony's cheek before returning to Shinobi. They'd won.

<Jessica> Jess tossed a teatowel into the room, it landed on the back of the sofa, "I'm going to change..." There was no saving her jeans. She headed down the stairs.

<Shinobi> Does he mean that? Hope's expression made him realize perhaps this wasn't a hallucination, and he held out his hand for her.

<Hope> She smiled as she took his hand, squeezing it tightly. Yeah. He does. In his weird way he was trying to be a good dad I think. Tony be damned. She dropped his hand and hugged him tightly in celebration.

<Shinobi> He made a surprised sound and smiled, unable to help himself. Remembering Stark was watching, he slowly and carefully placed his hands on her shoulders to return the hug. "Thank you," he finally said, although his voice sounded a little unsteady.

<Tony> Tony actually smiled a little, quickly wiping that off. "I have a plane that needs to leave. I'll let you know when to be in D.C. You're all invited for that."

<Jessica> Jess came back up the stairs barefoot but in a fresh pair of jeans and a clean blouse, "Even though I've wanted to throttle you much of this afternoon?"

<Shaw> "Thank you," Sebastian repeated, since yet again Tony Stark had managed to shock him as well. "We'll be there." He smirked over at Jess.

<Tony> "Well that feeling goes both ways," Tony gave her a cheerful smile. "I am now going to go home where no women can nag at me except the ones I pay to do that."

<Jessica> "Men need to be nagged," Jess reminded him, "Otherwise you'd never get anything done. So you're welcome."

<Tony> "Actually, your nagging did nothing. It was her. And Sebastian."

<Jessica> "Pfft, who do you think nagged him into submission?"

<Tony> "He used to be more fun." Tony informed her, heading for the stairs.

<Jessica> "Mmhmm, so did I." Jess went to Sebastian and slid an arm around him.

<Shaw> He raised an eyebrow at Jessica. "I believe I prefer us now, frankly."

<Hope> Hope planted a huge kiss on Shinobi's lips once she couldn't see Tony anymore. We won!

<Jessica> Jess smiled at Sebastian and gave him a kiss, Me too.

<Shinobi> A pardon... I never thought that would happen. He was still in shock, but not so much that he couldn't return the kiss, then give her several more across her cheeks and nose. Not finished, he lifted her off her feet for an enthusiastic hug.

<Hope> Laughing as she was picked up, Hope kissed on him too. It feels like Christmas. I'm not losing you.